Document Sample
					                        CRS                    Community Resource Services

                                        9836 White Oak Avenue, Suite 201
                                            Northridge, CA 91325
                                            Phone (818) 993-9311

                    HOUSING DIRECTORY
                                      2010 - 2011
                                Important Housing Terms

   •   Emergency Shelter: Any facility with overnight sleeping accommodations, the primary
       purpose of which is to provide temporary shelter. The length of stay can range from one
       night up to as much as 3 months.
   •   Transitional Housing: A type of housing for homeless clients that allows clients to stay
       for a longer period of time. Transitional housing usually offers services designed to help
       clients live on their own such as case management, life skills, mental health counseling,
       childcare, etc.
   •   Voucher: A voucher generally refers to a Section 8 voucher provided by a local Housing
       Authority to a low-income person but can also refer to an emergency voucher for short-
       term motel stay for a homeless person.
   •   Low-income/Affordable Apartments: Affordable housing is typically aimed at low and
       moderate-income households that are burdened by the high housing costs. There is
       usually a long waitlist at each apartment complex with low-income units, but it is
       recommended to sign up for the waitlist.

If you have questions, please contact the Community Resource Services (CRS)
department at (818) 739-5182.

                                               1                               Last updated 12/08
                                Table of Contents
       The following directory is designed to assist families with locating emergency shelter and
              affordable permanent housing. This directory has been divided into seven

  I.        Emergency/Transitional Housing Programs……………. 3
       •      List of shelters and emergency housing programs that provide emergency
              assistance to homeless families.

 II.        Information and Referral Services ……………………… 6
       •      Provides hotline numbers and agencies that offer referrals to low-income housing.

III.        Long Term Self Sufficiency Programs…………………… 8
       •      List of case management programs that help with locating affordable permanent

IV.         Financial Assistance………………………………………. 9
       •      List of agencies that provide interest free loans and assistance with moving costs.

 V.         Legal Services…………………………………………..… 10
       •      Legal organizations that can help with understanding the eviction process and
              other housing issues.

VI.         Mediation Services…………………………………….… 11
       •      Agencies that help resolve landlord conflicts.

VII.        Housing Counseling………….…………………………. 12
       •      List of agencies that can provide assistance on buying a home, renting,
              default, credit issues, and foreclosures.

       I. Emergency/Transitional Housing Programs

                                                   2                             Last updated 12/08
    1.   211 LA County (Formerly known as Info Line)
         Dial 2-1-1 or 1(800) 339-6993

L.A. County 211 is a free 24-hour hotline providing information and referrals to numerous social service
agencies in Los Angeles County. They maintain an updated list of daily openings for shelters, it is
recommended that you call in the morning of the day you need shelter.

    2. Homeless Education Unit – LAUSD
         1430 South San Julian Street, Building 7
         Los Angeles, CA 90015
         (213) 765-2880
         (213) 765-3867 Fax

The Purpose of the Homeless Education Program is to ensure that homeless youth have access to a free
public education, equal to that of any other youth, to reduce enrollment barriers that homeless families
face, and ensure access to transportation services.
When it appears that a homeless situation may exist, the school can provide the District Homeless
Enrollment forms and assistance, as well as the standard enrollment forms, to facilitate the student's
enrollment in school. The school can call the previous school of attendance for immunization records,
accept verbal verification, and request that the records be forwarded.

    3. Los Angeles Family Housing Corporation
         7843 Lankershim Boulevard
         North Hollywood, CA 91605
         (818) 982-4091

This organization only provides transitional housing. They currently have a three-month wait list for
families in need of transitional housing. Families need to make an appointment for an emergency intake.
No Walk-Ins accepted. Families can live for up to six months in the transitional family shelter. While in
this program, families receive intensive case management to help them locate permanent housing and
employment. To apply for transitional housing, please call Anna Mancia ext. 155. Families need to be in
contact with Anna on a weekly basis, until housing is available. There is no wait list for single adult males
or females.

    4. Passageways
         1020 South Arroyo Parkway, Suite #100
         Pasadena, CA 91105
         (626) 403-4888 Intake
         (626) 403-4894 Fax

This organization is a multi-service center designed to meet the needs of homeless people. Their hours of
operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Services include: intakes for a shelter or
transitional housing, case management, drug and alcohol program referrals, counseling, and street
outreach. Contact agency before referring a family, and ask to speak to a case manager for information
regarding availability at the shelter.

    5. Woman’s Care Cottage
         6040 Vineland Avenue

                                                     3                                   Last updated 12/08
         North Hollywood, CA 91606
         (818) 753- 4580 Resource Center
         (818) 753-4581 Fax
         (323) 845-0606 Main Office

This resource center assists homeless women and children with information and referrals, case
management, meals, clothes, laundry facilities and phone. The 15-bed shelter has a maximum stay of 90
days. All potential shelter residents must first be evaluated at this resource center. Vocational services are
provided and include assistance with employment placement and access to a computer lab.

    6. Department of Public Social Services
         1-877-481-1044 Help Line

                  East Valley Office: (CalWorks, Food Stamps, Medi-Cal)
                  14545 Lanark Street, Panorama City, CA 91402
                  (818) 901-4120 (Help Line)
                  (818) 901-3186 (Participant Line)

                  West Valley Main Office: (CalWorks, Medi-Cal)
                   21415 Plummer Street, Chatsworth, CA 91311
                  (818) 718-5000
                  (818) 718-5217 (Help Line)
                  (818) 718-5216 (Help Line Spanish)

                  Glendale Office: (CalWorks, Food Stamps, General Relief, Medi-Cal)
                  4680 San Fernando Road, Glendale, CA 91204
                  (818) 546-6100 (Help Line)
                  (818) 564-6200 (Participant Help Line)
                  (818) 546-6286 (GROW)
                  Serves cities of Sylmar, Burbank, Glendale, and part of North Hollywood.

The Homeless Assistance Program is available to CALWORKS recipients who are homeless and have less
than $100 left over from last month. They will provide funds for temporary shelter and permanent
housing. Temporary shelter funds are available for up to 16 consecutive days to stay in a shelter or a hotel.
Permanent housing funds are available to cover the actual cost of security deposit, and last month’s rent.

These grants are only provided once in a lifetime. To apply, contact your CALWORKS worker.

    7. San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission
         13422 Saticoy Street
         North Hollywood, CA 91605
         (818) 785-4476
         (818) 785-4562 Fax

San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission is a non-profit corporation that acts in partnership with other non-
profit agencies to address homelessness and hunger. They offer food, shelter, clothing, referrals,
rehabilitation programs, and counseling. They have multiple facilities and locations (Rescue Centers) with
resources and supplies to meet the needs of the homeless in their own neighborhoods. Rescue Centers
provide the only emergency shelter solution to homeless families in the San Fernando Valley. To refer a
client, a case manager must call and make the referral. The referring agency must write a letter on
letterhead verifying client and family names, and the birthdates of family members. The client must check
in between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm every day.

                                                      4                                   Last updated 12/08
    8. P.A.T.H. (People Assisting the Homeless)
        340 North Madison Avenue
        Los Angeles, CA 90004
        (323) 644-2200
        (323) 644-2216

The purpose of P.A.T.H. is to break the cycle of homelessness by empowering homeless people with the
tools for self-sufficiency. They have six programs that help homeless people on that path: PATHways
Transitional Housing; P.A.T.H./Foundation House; PATHfinders Job Centers; PATHacademy Job
Training Program; Homeless Access Center; and Street Outreach Teams.
The Homeless Access Center provides the initial intake and assessment. It then refers homeless people to a
variety of services depending on their needs, and provides ongoing case management, employment
referrals, mental health and veterans’ services.

    9. Weingart Center Association
        566 South Pedro Street                               Access Center Address:
        Los Angeles, CA 90013                                506 South Main Street
        (213) 627-9000 Main Office                           Los Angeles, CA 90013
        (213) 488-3419 Fax                                   (213) 624-3370

The Access Center provides information and referrals for shelter, housing, food, medical services, mental
health services, legal services, and case management. The Center serves newly homeless single adult males
or females (no families) who need immediate assistance and are presently living in emergency shelters and
places not meant for human habitation. Clients have to be able to work. They do not accept individuals on
SSI, or taking psychotropic medications. It is open Monday through Thursday, from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
New clients need to arrive before 7:00am due to long wait.

    10. Path Achieve Glendale (Formerly known as Project Achieve)
        437 Fernando Court
        Glendale, CA 91204
        (818) 246-7900
        (818) 246-2858 Fax

This is a program of the Institute for Urban Research and Development. Path Achieve Glendale provides a
range of services: case management, referrals to permanent, transitional and emergency housing,
employment assistance, money management education, and referrals to health care, mental health,
substance abuse recovery, and veterans’ services. Families must check in between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm,
Monday through Friday. The family will complete an intake before receiving any services. After the intake,
a case manager will be assigned to develop a plan to assist the family. They accept men, women, and

                                                    5                                  Last updated 12/08
    11. Sylmar Emergency Winter Shelter
         California National Guard Armory
         12860 Arroyo Street
         Sylmar, CA 91342
         (661) 259-1298

This shelter is open from December 1 through March 16 of each year. Shelter provides food, clothing,
showers, and daytime case management. Because minors are not permitted to stay at the shelter, families
with children under the age of 16 may receive 3-day motel vouchers. Shelter opens daily at 6pm.

There is a shuttle van pick-up and drop-off in the evenings and mornings available at two locations in the
valley: 1) Van Nuys Orange Line Station; 2) Home Depot Bus Stop on Foothill Blvd.

II. Information and Referral Services
    1. 211 L.A. County (Formerly known as Info-Line)
         Dial 2-1-1 or 1(800) 339-6993

L.A. County 211 is a free 24-hour hotline providing information and referrals to numerous social service
agencies in Los Angeles County. They maintain a list of daily openings for shelters.

    2. Low-Income Apartments
         HUD                                          LA Housing Department (LAHD)
         611 West 6th Street, Suite #800              Customer Service Hotline: 1-866-557-RENT
         Los Angeles, CA 90017              
         (213) 894-8000

These organizations have lists of low-income units in LA County. The government gives funds directly to
apartment owners, who lower the rents they charge low-income tenants. You can find low-rent apartments
for individuals, families, senior citizens and people with disabilities. Individuals cannot earn more than the
income limit assigned. Usually you will not find units that are available immediately; however, it is worth
putting your name on the waiting list if available.

     3. New Economics for Women
        303 South Loma Drive
        Los Angeles, CA 90017
        (213) 483-2060
        (213) 484-1008 ext. 125 (For Applications or building information)
        (213) 483-7848 Fax

This agency provides low-income rental housing for pregnant women or women with children. There are
great benefits to becoming a NEW resident including: affordable rental rates, individual case management
to help you make plans for your future, referrals to outside services, financial literacy classes, and on-site
learning center for children.
 If you are interested in renting an apartment from New Economics for Women (NEW), you must complete
and submit the application form. Every application will be screened and you will be notified by mail if
your application is accepted. If your application is accepted, you will be put on the waiting list. The

                                                      6                                   Last updated 12/08
average wait period is about one year. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm. There are
different buildings in Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley:

La Posada Apartments                                     Guadalupe Terrace
375 South Colombia Avenue                                895 North Bunny Beach Place
Los Angeles, CA 90017                                    Los Angeles, CA 90063
(213) 483-2058                                           (323) 262-492

La Via Mariposa                                          Vista Madre
345 South Colombia Drive                                 4651 North Huntington Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90017                                    Los Angeles, CA 90032
(213) 483-2057                                           (213) 223-2122

Casa Loma                                                Santa Cruz Terrace
379 South Loma Drive                                     201 North Beacon Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017                                    San Pedro, CA 90731
(213) 353-4730                                           (310) 519-0774

EATS Apartments                                          Tierra del Sol
421 South Bixel Street                                   7500 Alabama Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90017                                    Canoga Park, CA 91303
(213) 250-540                                            (818) 887-6946

Tres Palmas
269 South Loma Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213) 484-9901

    4. Apartment Search Websites
Here are a few websites that people looking for apartments may find helpful.                                                                                                                                           

                                                    7                              Last updated 12/08
III. Long Term Self-Sufficiency Programs
    1. Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles
         2600 Wilshire Boulevard
         Los Angeles, CA 90057
         (213) 252-2500
         (213) 252-6199 / (800) 555-4501 Section 8 Registration
         *Closed for new registration due to lack of federal funding.

Section 8: Housing
Section 8 is a program of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that makes rental
payments to private landlords for eligible families, senior citizens, and disabled (physically and mentally
challenged) persons. The objective of the Section 8 Program is to provide affordable, decent and safe housing for
eligible families. An eligible Section 8 applicant receives assistance with a Voucher that is used to rent a dwelling.
Section 8 tenants pay about 30% of their income towards their rent and HUD pays the rest of the rent to the owner.
Currently closed for new applicants.

Section 8: Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)
The FSS is designed to help Section 8 families gain and maintain independence from Welfare. FSS is a five-year to
seven-year program designed to assist families who already have Section 8. Each family is assigned a case manager
who coordinates the delivery of supportive services. The participants need to contact their Section 8 worker to
enroll in the FSS program. Currently closed for new applicants.

Section 8: Homeless Program
Contact: Lorena Guardado, Special Programs Coordinator
(213) 252-1612
The goal of the program is to provide permanent affordable housing for homeless individuals and families while
insuring them access to supportive services to maintain independent living. The Homeless Program targets
homeless individuals and families living in transitional housing and emergency shelters. 4,011 housing choice
vouchers have been set aside for the Homeless Program.

Section 8: Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program
HOPWA "fast track" is rental assistance for very low-income persons with AIDS/HIV and their families. The
applicant may directly call the Housing Authority's "fast track” at (213) 487-5646. Depending on the outcome of
the phone interview, he/she will be sent an application packet. Currently closed for new applicants.

Section 8: Shelter Plus Care Program
 Contact: Tinzy Milton, Special Program Coordinator
(213) 252-6988
The Shelter Plus Care Program was created under the McKinney Homeless Assistance Act. Shelter Plus Care is
designed to promote permanent housing with supportive service to persons with disabilities coming from the
streets and emergency shelters. Shelter Plus Care grants require a supportive services match equal to, or greater
than, the Section 8 rental assistance award. To be eligible for the program, a person must be homeless, with a
mental illness, substance abuse problem, HIV/AIDS or a dual diagnosis, and must be referred by the community-
based organization that provides supportive services under contract with the Housing Authority's Shelter Plus
Care program.

    2. Beyond Shelter

                                                     8                                   Last updated 12/08
        The Housing First Program for Homeless Families
        207 South Broadway, 4th Floor
        Los Angeles, CA 90012
        (213) 229-8600
        (213) 229-8601 Fax
        Contact: Intake Coordinators

        San Fernando Valley Satellite Office
        11243 Glenoaks Boulevard, Suite #6
        Pacoima, CA 91331
        (818) 897-7885
        (818) 834-1595 Fax
        *Only take referrals from the shelters that network with their program.

This organization places homeless families directly into permanent housing, while providing families with
individualized case management support for up to one year. This program addresses the interrelated problems that
homeless families face: poverty, access to credit and job training, and housing. Each family is assigned a case
manager who coordinates the delivery of supportive services.
The agency maintains satellite offices in the San Fernando Valley, Skid Row, South Central Los Angeles, and the
City of Long Beach.

    3. My Front Door
        1336 Wilshire Boulevard, Second Floor
        Los Angeles, CA 90017
        (213) 413-1130

My Front Door provides homeownership opportunities for people with disabilities and low income. They will set
you up with a counselor who will work you to get you prequalified for a home loan with the bank. They provide
three types of homeownership programs: 1) The first program is for those with a qualifying income (minimum
income is $800 a month) and good credit; 2) The second program is for those with Section 8 certificates; 3) The
third program is a consultation for those who would like to help disabled family members.
Attention: My Front Door is no longer taking applications. However, if you are interested in learning more about
homeownership for people with disabilities you are invited to one of two monthly information classes.

IV. Financial Assistance
    1. Renter Assistance Program (Franchise Tax Board)
        P.O. Box 942886
        Sacramento, CA 94286-0904
        (800) 868-4171, code 808

The Renter Assistance Program provides a refund from the State of California based on taxes you paid indirectly
when you paid your rent. The amount a claimant may be eligible for ranges from $15-$347.50. To qualify,
claimants must be 62 years of age or older, blind or disabled and have a total household income of $38,505 or less
and pay at least $50/minimum for rent. You should file the assistance claim after July 1 and on or before October
15 of the year. Currently closed for 2008-2009.

    2. Jewish Free Loan
        6505 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite #715

                                                   9                                  Last updated 12/08
         Los Angeles, CA 90048
         (323) 761-8830
         (323) 761-8841

         San Fernando Valley Satellite Office
         22622 Vanowen Street
         West Hills, CA 91307
         (818) 464-3331
         Contact: Linda Gordon

This agency provides emergency loans for security deposits and first months’ rent to low-income families.
The loan has 0% interest. The family must have a source of income (welfare, SSI, employment, etc.) and
one or two co-signers, depending on the amount of the loan. The co-signer needs to be a California
resident, employed for one year, and have good credit. This agency will not give loans to pay
consolidation of credit cards; however, they will provide loans for payment of medical bills, car repair or
utility bills.

    3.   Rent Stabilization
         Office Hours: Monday –Friday 9am-4pm

Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO) protects tenants from excessive rent increases, while at the same time
allowing landlords a reasonable return in their investments. Residential rental units covered by (RSO)
include: apartments, condominiums, town houses, duplexes, mobile homes, mobile home pads, two or
more dwelling units on the same lot, rooms on a hotel, motel, rooming house or boarding house occupied
by the same tenant for 30 or more consecutive days.

V. Legal Services
    1. Bet Tzedek Legal Services
         12821 Victory Boulevard, 2nd Floor
         North Hollywood, CA 91606
         (818) 769-0136
         (818) 763-3299 Fax

Bet Tzedek offers free legal services to low-income residents of Los Angeles County. Areas of legal
expertise include housing, landlord and tenant disputes, home equity fraud, and consumer protection.
Client needs to call first for a screening process over the phone. Then an attorney will be assigned to the
case and schedule an appointment with the client. Office hours: Monday-Friday 9:00am - 5:00 pm.
Appointments are only scheduled Monday-Thursday 9:00 am - 11:00 am.

    2. Neighborhood Legal Services of the Los Angeles County
         Pacoima Office
         13327 Van Nuys Boulevard
         Pacoima, CA 91331
         (818) 896-5211
         (800) 433-6251
         (818) 896-6647 Fax

They provide free legal services and assistance to low-income residents of the San Fernando, Antelope,
San Gabriel, Santa Clarita and Pomona Valleys and the cities of Glendale, Pasadena and Burbank. They
provide assistance in the following areas: community development, consumer, employment, family law,
government benefits, health care, housing, immigration, and community legal education.

                                                    10                                 Last updated 12/08
Please call the NLS Hotline to speak with an advocate for help with: (Dial “0” for the operator.)
- Government Benefits on Monday, and Wednesday from 9:15am-11:45am.
- Employment Community Development on Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm.
- Housing/Consumer on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9:15am-11:45am.
- Health Care Issues at 1(800) 896-3203 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9:00am-

    3. Los Angeles Housing Department Code Enforcement Division
         1200 West 7th Street, 1st Floor                                 Valley Office
         Los Angeles, CA 90017                                           6640 Van Nuys Boulevard
         1(866) 557-RENT or 1(866) 557-7368                              Van Nuys, CA 91405

If you believe that there are Housing Code violations in your unit (heater broken, rats, roaches, plumbing
problems, etc.) or the surrounding common areas, you can file a complaint with the Los Angeles Housing
Department using one of the following methods: Call the Code Enforcement Complaint Line weekdays
between 9:00 am-4:00 pm at (866) 557-RENT (7368); visit one of the Los Angeles Housing Department's
Public Counters; submit a complaint via the Internet.

VI. Mediation Services
Mediation is a service that helps people resolve their differences without resorting to future litigation. The
mediation process helps both parties communicate, negotiate, resolve issues and reach an agreement. The
mediator takes a non-biased position when negotiations take place. Listed below are mediation programs
that deal with landlord/tenant issues.

    1. Fair Housing Council of the San Fernando Valley
         8134 Van Nuys Boulevard, Suite #206
         Van Nuys, CA 91402
         (818) 373-1185
         (800) 287-4617
         (818) 373-1193 Fax

The Fair Housing Council investigates alleged housing discrimination complaints, provides tenant and
landlord referrals, and offers education and outreach on fair housing laws. Office hours: Monday-Friday
from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. They serve low to moderate-income families.

    2. Loyola Law School Center for Conflict Resolution
         919 Albany Street
         Los Angeles, CA 90015
         (213) 736-1145
         (213) 382-5403 Fax

This is a community conflict-resolution program where law students provide services. Mediation services
are available to address the following issues: consumer/merchant, divorce, landlord/tenant (evictions and
apartment conditions), and employment. This service is provided in English and Spanish. Mediation can
be done over the telephone from Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 am - 8:00 pm. This service is
free to low-income families or based on a sliding scale.

VII. Housing Counseling Agencies

                                                     11                                   Last updated 12/08
These agencies provide counseling and assistance to individuals on a variety of issues, including
foreclosures, renting, loan default, fair housing, credit issues, and home buying.

     - Los Angeles Center for Foreclosure Solutions
       1(888) 995-HOPE or 1(888) 995-4673

     - ACORN Housing
      3655 South Grand Street, Suite #250
      Los Angeles, CA 95820
      1(866) 672-2676 or (213) 747-4211

     - By Design Financial Solutions
       16800 Devonshire St, Suite #301
       Granada Hills, CA 91344
       1 (800) 750-2227

     - Operation HOPE Mortgage Hotline
        1(877)-592-HOPE or 1(800) 592-4673

     - Housing Rights Center
       1(800) 477-5977
       Call the Housing Rights Center if you think you are a victim of predatory lending.

    The agencies on this document are listed for informational purposes only. No endorsement of the
   quality of services is intended by Community Resource Services of the Child and Family Guidance

                                                    12                                  Last updated 12/08

Shared By: