Docstoc

Present

Document Sample
Present Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                                       OFFICIAL
                         EPRA DELEGATES MEETING HELD AT THE                             E.P.R.A
                                                                                       MINUTES
                         STONEBRIDGE MANOR HOTEL, COVENTRY                               2005
                              ON SUNDAY 16th OCTOBER 2005

Chairman:                Shaun Baker       01270 588819    General Secretary:   Steve Brooker
Vice Chairman:           Mike Regan        01423 324291                           Graysbrook
Treasurer:               Jason Davies      07779 796425                           Combe Lane
Exam Secretary:          Robert Shore       01270 581057                        Wormley,
                                                                                GU8 5SX
                                                                                 Tel: 01428 683064




  1.   Chairman………………………………………………………………………..………………… 1

  2.   Attendees…………………………………………………………………………………………                        2
       2.1     Present                                                    2
       2.2     Apologies                                                  2

  3.   Minutes of last meeting…………………………………………………………………………                2

  4.   Matters arising from minutes………………………………………………………………….             2

  5.   Correspondence…………………………………………………………………………………                      2-3

  6    Finance Report………………………………………………………………………………….                     3
       6.1     Report                                                     3
       6.2     Expenses                                                   3

  7    Examination Secretary’s Report…………………………………………………………….             4
       7.1    Examinations Held                                           4
       7.2    Rule Booklets                                               4

  8    Events Reports                                                     4
       8.1     Home Internationals (Aberdeen)                             4
       8.2    Inter League KO Cup (Yarmouth)                              4
       8.3    Champion of Champions (Yarmouth)                            4

  9    Regional Reports ……………………………………………………………………………..                   4-5

  10   EPA Report …………………..…………………………………………………..……………                     5

  11   Forthcoming Events …………….……………………………………………………………                   5
       11.1.  Ladies Tour                                                 5
       11.2   Ladies National Championships (Yarmouth)                    5
       11.3   Champion of Champions (Yarmouth)                            5

  12   Professional Events ……………………………………………………………………………                  5
       12.1    IPA Tour (Wembley)                                         5
       12.2    IPA European Championships (TV event)                      5

  13   Next Meeting ………………….…………………………………………………………………                     6

  14   Any Other Business ………..…………………………………………………………………… 6

  15   Summary of Actions .…………………………………………………………………………… 6
              EPRA DELEGATES MEETING AT STONEBRIDGE MANOR 16th OCTOBER 2005                          – Page 2



Meeting opened at 10.45am
 1 Chairman
         Welcomed all delegates, and convened meeting.


 2 Attendees
            2.1    Present
            Officers:
            Shaun Baker (Chairman); Mike Regan (Vice Chairman); Steve Brooker (General Secretary); Jason Davies
            (Treasurer); Robert Shore (Examination Secretary)
            Delegates
            Tony Clayton (R1) Tom Booth (deputy) (R2) Christine Kirk (R3) Peter Hallett (R5) Wesley McKelvey (R6)
            Sue Mitchell (R7)
            Observers
            None

            2.2    Apologies
            Marshall Morter (R4)


 3 Minutes of Last Meeting
                                                     th
        The minutes of the last delegates meeting (24 July 2005) were taken as read; proposed as a true record by
        Jason Davies (Treasurer) and seconded by Robert Shore (Exam Sec.)
                                                                                        Voting: Unanimous
 4 Matters Arising From Minutes
              1. Minute 2.3 (action point – Chairman) – Shaun Baker discussed with Marshall Morter his poor
                 attendance record at these meetings. Marshall explained that this was because of work
                 commitments that sometimes required him to work on Sundays.
              2. Minute 6.3 (action point – Treasurer/Vice Chairman) – Jason Davies has received a quotation from
                 MM Barkers (Attleborough) for the re-printing of EPRA Membership Cards, as follows: 500 =
                 £140.40 + VAT; 1000 = £226.98 + VAT. These costs include a “one-off” setting up charge of £25.
                 The Vice Chairman had obtained quotes but they were more expensive.
                 The wording on the cards will be altered to show the Examination Secretary‟s signature (instead of
                 the Treasurer‟s) as new members are now not required to pay a membership fee upon passing the
                 exam, and the Examination Secretary should issue the new cards.
                 The delegates voted that 500 should be ordered.


 5 Correspondence
            5.1    Garry Calcott (R5)
               Email from Garry described a situation that occurred in a local league match where the cue ball and an
               object ball (yellow) had come to rest in the jaws of a pocket and each was stopping the other from
               dropping. The problem seemed to be that if the player in control played the cue ball away from the
               touching yellow ball, the yellow ball would drop without being hit (rule V) and then all balls should be
               replaced and we would be in a never ending loop. The outcome depends on whether the player is “on”
               yellows or reds.
               a) Player on yellows – own group.
                    Touching ball, player plays away but is deemed to have played the touching ball (rule T. 2) and
                    therefore if the yellow ball drops it has been legally potted and play continues – no foul.
               b) Player on reds.
                    As in the previous scenario, the player plays away and if the yellow ball drops it is deemed to have
                    been potted – opponent‟s ball and therefore a foul (two visits). Even though it was impossible to
                    prevent the yellow from dropping, the player has no option but to commit a foul (rule X - Impossible
                    Shot).

                                                                                          Continued………. /
         EPRA DELEGATES MEETING AT STONEBRIDGE MANOR 16th OCTOBER 2005                          – Page 3


         A great deal of debate took place concerning the situation, particularly with regard to whether or not the
         balls should be deemed to be on the table, or in the pocket. When two balls enter a pocket one after
         the other they can become jammed and this instance the referee would simply clear the balls down the
         pocket. If this view was adopted, then the player in control in the previous shot would have committed a
         foul and the oncoming player would have two visits, cue ball in hand.

         As the balls were still touching the bed of the table, albeit the slightest edge, the majority of the
         committee took the view that the balls were not “in” the pocket. However, a report of this matter will be
         sent to the EPA Rules Revision sub-committee for their opinion.
                                                                       Action: Steve Brooker, General Secretary
       5.2     Robert Shore (R2)
          Emails regarding World of Darts pool events – various venues.
          Robert, acting on behalf of the organisers, requested referees in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. Most of
          the matches were evening events and some clashed with EPA National Events at Yarmouth. This has
          caused difficulties and resulted in some of the venues being without the requested number of referees.
          In one instance (R4) an evening event involved 16 teams and finished after midnight. The three
          referees on duty were unable to have a break as three tables were in use all evening. The organisers
          need to plan next year‟s events more carefully and the EPRA will offer their assistance and advice.
                                                    Action: Steve Brooker, General Secretary

          Mike Regan (Vice Chairman) asked why it was that the World of Darts organisers had been dealing
          with Robert Shore rather than the General Secretary as would normally be the case. Robert explained
          that this began as a local Region 2 event organised by Lee Kendal some 3 or 4 years ago, and that he
          had been approached to appoint suitable local referees.

       5.3     Marshall Morter (R4)
          Letter apologising for being unable to attend today‟s meeting; enclosing the Senior Referee‟s report for
          the National Amateur Singles event at Yarmouth, and a letter from Ron Maddern stating that he wished
          to withdraw his earlier resignation from the EPRA.
          Ron Maddern‟s request was considered by the committee and his general behaviour and recent
          disciplinary matters were recalled. A proposal to accept his application was rejected and as a
          consequence Ron Maddern will not be allowed to rejoin, and his fee (£8.00) will be returned to him.
                                                                     Voting: For 0: Against 5: Abstained 5
       5.4     David Mawhinney (EPA)
          Following a discussion with the EPRA General Secretary, David had requested clarity from George
          Harwood concerning the referee requirement for next year‟s European Championships in Bordeaux. A
          request has been made to the EPRA to supply a referee to attend on behalf of England with the
          referee‟s expenses to be paid by the EPA. However, in previous years it has been subsequently
          requested (at the last minute) that the EPRA also provide the Senior Referee for the tournament.
          Because of the opportunity to obtain cheap air travel by early booking, and to enable us to give the
          referee(s) notice to get time of works etc. it makes sense for us to know what the actual requirements
          will be from the outset.
          George Harwood has not replied.
       5.5     Pete Carr (CIU)
          Request for referees for two events – Region 1 and Region 5


6 Finance Report (by Jason Davies)
         6.1        Report
             The Debtors shown on the accounts:-
             (1) IPA £390 – for TV event – has now been paid
             (2) IPA £160 relates to a recent professional event at Yarmouth.
         6.2 Expenses
             The following expenses were submitted and approved:
             Shaun Baker (Chairman)                       £29.00 (travel) + £50 honorarium
             Mike Regan (Vice Chairman)                   £19.00 (travel
             Steve Brooker (General Secretary)            £60.00 (travel) £50.25 (postage) + £100 honorarium
             Jason Davies (Treasurer)                     £64.00 (travel) + £50 honorarium
             Robert Shore (Exam Secretary)               £50 honorarium)

              Proposed by Tony Clayton (R1); seconded Tom Booth (R2)            Voting: Unanimous
          EPRA DELEGATES MEETING AT STONEBRIDGE MANOR 16th OCTOBER 2005                             – Page 4


7   Examination Secretary’s Report (by Robert Shore)
         7.1    Examinations Held
               There have been no exams held during the period.
               All examiners are reminded that they must try and arrange examinations, if possible before the end of
               the year.

         7.2    Rule Booklets
               We now have copies of the Rules & Guidance booklets in stock and all candidates must purchase a
               copy prior to taking the exam. This cost should be added to the exam fee and examiners expenses


8   Events Reports
         8.1    Home Internationals (Aberdeen) - Senior: Len Beddis
               The senior referee‟s report was read in full to the meeting and summarised as follows:-
                                                       th       th
               Event took place at Aberdeen on the 16 – 18 September 2005 and play began promptly at 9am
               each day. Overall the event ran very well, but with only 3 referees there was very little walk-about and
               we operated a one hour/one hour off system.
               During the weekend the Senior was not called to the tables on any occasion. All referees conducted
               themselves in a professional manner both on and off duty and thanks goes to Paula Landers (R2)
               and Yvonne Armitage (R2) for their help.

         8.2    National Amateur Singles (Yarmouth) - Senior: Marshall Morter
               The senior referee‟s report was read in full to the meeting and summarised as follows:-
                                                      th    th
               Event took place at Yarmouth on the 6 – 7 October 2005. The first matches were played on
               Thursday at 5pm; all referees were on time and were immaculately dressed as always. The referees
               were divided into two groups of three with an „S‟ grade referee as relief in each group, one hour on
               with ½ hour breaks. Play ended at 1am.
               Play commenced at 9am on Friday and all matches started on time. Congratulations to Sarah Kelly
               (R5) who was on her first National event and conducted herself in an exceptional manner both on and
               off duty. The final was refereed by John Hope, with John Chapman timekeeper. Play ended at
               10.25pm.

         8.3    Inter League KO Cup (Yarmouth) Senior: Mike Regan
               The senior referee‟s report was read in full to the meeting and summarised as follows:-
                                                       th th
               Event took place at Yarmouth on the 8 -9 October 2005. Senior Referee expressed concern
               regarding the negative attitude of the Tournament Director (Tom Fahy) and his reluctance to discuss
               the playing requirements. At the referees briefings on the first day two referees were not dressed to
               the standard expected by the EPRA and advice given. Apart from an incident regarding the EPA
               dress code, the senior was not called to the table throughout the tournament. The performance of all
               referees was excellent and Alan Benton complimented all for the fact that no complaints were
               received. The final was completed at 3.20pm.

               The meeting adjourned for a short break 12.10pm – 12.30pm

9   Regional Reports (written)

         9.1    Region 1 (Tony Clayton)
           The prospects of an examination taking place have improved with the EPA Regional Director
           attempting to stimulate interest. We were disappointed that Region 1 was not asked to supply referees
           for the Home Internationals in Aberdeen, but understand the reasons given (George Harwood
           requested 4 referees and asked for them all to travel in one car because petrol expenses would be
           paid – only two referees in Region 1, therefore Region 2 referees were used).

         9.2    Region 2 (Alan Blackburn)
           Concerns have been expressed that some lower grade referees have been given preference to referee
           at top events; one referee received criticism (unfounded) by EPA county officials; all referees continue
           to perform at a high level. Alan Blackburn intends to resign as delegate at the forthcoming Region 2
           AGM because of ill health.
                                                                              Continued………………. /
         EPRA DELEGATES MEETING AT STONEBRIDGE MANOR 16th OCTOBER 2005                               – Page 5


           As a result of Alan’s health problems and the likelihood that he will be unable to fulfil active duties in the
           future, a proposal was made Robert Shore, seconded by Tom Booth, that Alan should become an
           honorary life president of the EPRA as recognition of the outstanding service that Alan has given to the
           EPRA and Region 2 over the years.                          Voting: For 9 Against 0 Abstained 1

        9.3   Region 3 (Chris Kirk)
           Nothing to report

        9.4     Region 4 (Marshall Morter) - absent but report sent by post
           An E grade examination was held with 31 candidates, and 6 passes. Further examinations are planned
           for the South Norfolk League. The Regional AGM will be held in November.
           The World of Darts event that took place in Cambridge caused problems with the amount of entrants,
           only three referees and a very late finish.

        9.5   Region 5 (Peter Hallett)
           Nothing to report

        9.6   Region 6 (Wesley McKelvey)
           Sad news that Brian Osborne had died – John Dowdeswell attended his funeral on behalf of the EPRA.
                                              th  th
           Minehead Open was held on the 24 -25 September and was a great success; thanks to Regional
           Delegates 5 & 7 who assisted with referees. Alan Cornish has moved and now lives in Region 1 area.

        9.7   Region 7 (Sue Mitchell)
           Two World of Darts events covered in the Region, one in Wembley (3 refs supplied) and one in
           Southsea (2 refs supplied).


10 EPA Report (Steve Brooker)
           At the September EPA meeting it was announced that Dave Higgins was standing down as
           Tournament Director at the end of this year. The Yarmouth events under his control will in future be
           covered by Alan Benton, and it was announced that the administration of the World Championships at
           Blackpool would be run by Shaun Baker.

           The General Secretary expressed concern that this would mean that yet another senior referee would
           be unavailable as a referee, and felt that it might cause problems for such a high profile EPRA officer
           (already involved in the running of several IPA events) to be so heavily involved. Shaun informed the
           meeting that he had not yet agreed to run the World Championships and that if he did decide to do so,
           it would in no way distract from his commitment to the EPRA.

           At the end of the meeting, the event sub committees met with the General Secretary to discuss all EPA
           refereeing requirements for National Events in 2006.


11 Forthcoming Events
        11.1 22nd/ 23rd October: Ladies Tour

        11.2 4th November: Ladies National Championships (Yarmouth)

       11.3 5th/6th November: Champion of Champions (Yarmouth)

12 Professional Events
        12.1 21st/23rd October: IPA Tour No 6 (Wembley)
        12.2 29th/30th October: IPA Televised European Championships
        (This event is believed to have been postponed but IPA Chairman George Harwood has not contacted the
        General Secretary to confirm)


13 Next Meeting
                                                   th
         The next meeting will be held on the 29 January 2006 at 10.30am, at the Stonebridge Manor Hotel,
         (Meriden Suite) Coventry; immediately followed by the AGM which will commence at 1pm.
               EPRA DELEGATES MEETING AT STONEBRIDGE MANOR 16th OCTOBER 2005                       – Page 6



               All Delegates are reminded that, if for any reason they cannot attend, they must send a deputy.



        ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING - Members are reminded that:-

        (1) All proposals and nominations must be with the General Secretary 28 days prior to the AGM (1st January
            2006) and members who wish to cast a vote at the AGM, or make a proposal or nomination, must have
                                               th
            renewed their membership by the 30 November 2005.

        (2) Officer Positions for Election are: Chairman
                                                 Treasurer

        (3) All dates on the Membership Form (2006) for renewal refer to when the Regional Delegate receives the
            form.



14 Any Other Business
        The General Secretary noted that three assessments had been carried out on Phil Turner (R2) for upgrade
        from B to A, but that due to the Examination Secretary being unavailable at Yarmouth in October, the written
        examination had not been completed. As all upgrades are effective from January each year and as this is the
        last Delegates Meeting of 2005 (subject to favourable assessments) it would be necessary for the committee
        to vote on the upgrade now.
        Robert Shore confirmed that all three assessments by Senior Referees were positive and recommended Phil‟s
        upgrade; he therefore proposed that the meeting accept the upgrade, subject to Phil passing the written
        examination before the end of the year (seconded by Mike Regan).                 Voting: Unanimous




Meeting closed at 13.25




15 Summary of Actions
Who                   Summary                                                  Reference
General Secretary     Letter to the EPA Rules Revision Sub Committee           5.1
General Secretary     Letter to the World of Darts organiser                   5.2

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:4
posted:9/15/2011
language:English
pages:6