Tips to choose a HIPAA-HITECH Compliant Solution
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) places a large regulatory burden on
organizations that deal with patient health-related information. The HIPAA Act was passed in the interest of
securing sensitive patient health care information and availing health insurance benefits. All business organizations
have to comply with the HIPAA security rules covering all types of safeguards. The HIPAA/HITECH Act has resulted
in significant changes to the industry’s approach to data protection. HITECH compliance is most likely to influence
every facet of your operations like business and healthcare processes - IT data security, retention, and monitoring;
contracts and business relationships. It is therefore necessary to have a better understanding of the compliance
process that will prove beneficial to the patients, employees and businesses. Medical practices and their Business
Associates can become HIPAA compliant in a very cost-effective manner without requiring deep domain expertise,
by just opting for an efficient and compliant solution.
There are a couple of HIPAA compliant software available in the market. But in selecting the right solution, the
following tips can help:
● Does it support uploading of documents that can be shown as evidence of compliance to the auditors or
● Is the solution cost effective without having to invest heavily into hardware, software and expensive
● Does it offer a central repository for all compliance related up-to-date regulatory controls, documentary
evidence, Security policies, best practices, etc and easily accessible to the user?
● Can the solution provide a common interface to various stakeholders such as Auditors, Managed
Compliance Providers, Business Associates, and users?
● Will it facilitate unification of controls under different regulations?
● How extensive are the reports and risk management algorithms?
● How simple is the user interface that non-IT savvy users can easily handle the application?
Investing in a solution that can handle compliance requirements easily helps healthcare providers to ensure
best healthcare compliance. And to ensure this, adequate steps must be taken to reinforce safeguards for
EMRs/EHRs and facilitate secure messaging of this valuable data. The risk and impact of a security breach has
become more significant with great number of health information put into electronic form and shared across the
healthcare system. Irrespective of which solution is chosen, it is vital to ensure that staff dealing with patients or
clients is trained in a uniform, facility specific, HIPAA compliance procedure. With the right compliant software,
organizations can achieve HIPAA compliance, and also reduce the risk involved from hackers and misuse of
Click here for more on IT security compliance, vulnerability management solution