Docstoc

20070910060644538

Document Sample
20070910060644538 Powered By Docstoc
					                           Minutes of a Meeting of the

  SYDNEY PORTS CARGO FACILITATION COMMITTEE (No. 08/2007)

 Held in the Ground Floor Meeting Room of Moores Warehouse at Sydney Ports
                                Corporation

                             Tuesday, 21 August 2007

PRESENT:

Mr Hart Krtschil             Chairman
Mr Brian Bourke              Australian Customs Service
Mr Stephen Tonkin            Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Ms Patricia Thornhill        Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Mr John Preston              Australian Trucking Association NSW
Mr Rob Wilkinson             DP World
Mr James Dorney              Patrick Terminals
Mr Andrew Karas              Shipping Australia
Ms Jenny Jones               Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr Daniel Cavallo            Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr Spencer Palfreeman        Sydney Ports Corporation
Ms Vivian Juan-Vega          Sydney Ports Corporation

APOLOGIES:

Mr Chris Ryan                Australian Customs Service
Mr Elton McKay               Australian Federation of International Forwarders
Mr Mike Moylan               Australian Trucking Association NSW
Mr David Scott               Custom Brokers and Forwarders Council of Australia
Mr David McGregor            International Intermodal Repairers Australia
Mr Glenn Wood                Maritime Union of Australia
Sgt Mark Crelley             NSW Police
Mr John Crowley              Patrick Darling Harbour
Mr Stuart Hardaker           RailCorp
Mr Sam Crosby                Transport Workers Union
Mr Morgan Noon               Sydney Ports Corporation



1. APOLOGIES AND MEMBERSHIP

Apologies were accepted from Ryan, McKay, Moylan, Scott, McGregor, Wood, Crelley,
Crowley, Hardaker, Crosby and Noon.



2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

The minutes of meeting No. 07/2007, held on Tuesday, 17 July 2007, were confirmed by
the members.


                                       FINAL                                      1
3. MATTER ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

In regard to action item 07/2007-01, Mr Krtschil advised members he is currently
following-up the issue on the induction needs at MCS Container Park. Further advice
will be provided as it becomes available.

In regard to action item 07/2007-02, Ms Juan-Vega informed members an email will be
sent advising them on obtaining a copy of the new “Guidance Material for the
Management of Dangerous Goods in Port Areas”, which contains the changes in the
Class 1 for Dangerous Goods. The changes will be effective from 1 September 2007.


4. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

A. Port Position

Mr Cavallo advised members that the monthly container throughput figure for July 2007
was near 133,000 TEUs, an 8.5% increase on the same month in the previous year.
Further information of container throughput for the current and previous financial years
is attached to the minutes.


B. Port Developments

Mr Cavallo advised members that the detailed tender for the design and construction
contract for the Port Botany Expansion have now closed. It is envisaged that the
contract will be awarded towards the end of 2007.


C. Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS)

Mr Tonkin advised members that there were no change in levels of external container
contamination from the previous month. The high level of contamination rate (which
necessitates off site cleaning of containers) remains consistently below 1%. Around
50,000 containers had been inspected for the month of July 2007.


D. Australian Customs Service

Mr Bourke advised members that the Integrated Cargo System (ICS) Import Lines were
at 66,063 in July 2007. The national on-time reporting performance was recorded at 85%,
and is based on the lowest bill rating 48 hours before vessel arrival at the first port of call.
The on-time reporting performance for each state for July 2007 was recorded as follows:


   New South Wales 87%

   Victoria            92%

   Queensland          86%

   West Australia      77%

                                             FINAL                                            2
   South Australia    100%


E. Industrial Issues

Mr Wilkinson informed members that a planned Stop Work meeting by the Maritime
Union of Australia will be held on 24 August 2007 from 12:30hrs to 16:30hrs. There will
bee an increased number of timeslots made available in the time zones prior to and after
this Stop Work meeting. The terminal will close the entry gate at 12:00hrs in order to
ensure that all processed trucks are completed prior to 12:30hrs. The entry gate will re-
open at 16:15hrs in anticipation that operations will commence at 16:30hrs.

Mr Dorney also advised members that Patrick‟s enterprise agreement will finish around
the end of October 2007. Discussions with the relevant unions are on the way.

Mr Cavallo informed members that Sydney Ports Corporation is currently negotiating the
Enterprise Agreement for 2007-2010 with the relevant unions.


F. Road Transport

Mr Cavallo advised members that the average truck turnaround times for July 2007 were
50 minutes at DP World Port Botany, 53 minutes at Patrick (Port Botany) and 35
minutes at Darling Harbour. Further information on the average truck turnaround times
for July 2007 and over three years are attached to the minutes.

Mr Preston advised members on the truck turnaround time analysis the ATANSW had
done for Patrick Port Botany and DP World Botany stevedores for the month of July
2007. Details of these turnaround times are enclosed to these minutes. Mr Wilkinson
asked whether the ATANSW could advise members on the contributors on their
monthly truck turn around times statistics.

Mr Wilkinson also asked if Mr Preston would make available in writing to all members
the definitions of „Time of Arrival‟, „Time of Processing‟ and „Time of Departure‟, which
are used in the monthly ATANSW truck turn around statistics. Mr Preston indicated that
the information on the definitions can be made available.

Action item 08/2007-01: Mr Preston to provide to the Committee the definitions of
the following concepts published in the monthly ATANSW truck turn around
time statistics: ‘Time of Arrival’, ‘Time of Processing’ and ‘Time of Departure’.

Mr Preston asked the stevedores to clarify the situation with the movements of
hazardous containers. Mr Dorney advised members that in order to match export haz
cargo with imports to contact Patrick‟s Port Botany yard managers. Each request will
then be treated on a case by case basis, however if operational circs allow and haz
thresholds aren‟t breached it is Patrick‟s intention to facilitate such requests.

Mr Preston advised members that some trucking companies had been penalised for not
arriving on-time at Patrick Port Botany prior to 5am. Mr Dorney advised that the
situation in this matter has now changed so that at 05:00hrs each day, all priors slots will
be closed, unless extreme circs dictate that flexibility is required.


                                           FINAL                                          3
Mr Krtschil referred to information provided by Mr Scott in relation to instances where
through movements on Simblest road at the new Austate driveway has been restricted.
Mr Cavallo advised that SPC is aware of this situation and is considering options to
resolve the matter.

Mr Cavallo tabled the final report of the truck turn around time survey conducted by
Sydney Ports between Monday 21 May 2007 and Monday 28 May 2007. A copy of the
report is enclosed to these minutes. The results indicate an average „In Gate to Out Gate‟
weekday time of 50.5 minutes and that truck turn around times by shift are better in the
overnight shift, than the day and the evening shifts.

Members agreed that the truck turn around times report could be distributed beyond the
Committee.


G. Rail Transport

No major issues regarding rail transport were raised for August 2007.


H. Port Security

No major issues regarding port security were raised for August 2007.


I. Empty Container Parks

Information on the empty container storage for August 2007 and over the past three
years is attached to these minutes.

Mr Krtschil asked members which empty container parks are most needed by the
industry to support an extension of operational hours. Members mentioned the
following: MCS 1, MCS Rail, Patrick Container Park, Tynes, P&O Trans Australia and
Cargolink.

Members were also advised that P&O Trans Australia at Botany Road have extended
their operating hours to 11:00pm on weeknights.


J. Electronic Cargo Release

In regard to the Electronic Import Delivery Orders (EIDO), Mr Karas informed
members that Shipping Australia e-Commerce committee has no more feedback to
provide on the EIDO project. Members were advised that Committee members were to
produce an agenda for both parties to meet and further address to discuss the main
EIDO‟s items.


K. Dangerous Goods

No major issues regarding dangerous goods were raised for August 2007.


                                          FINAL                                         4
L. Port Plan for Peak Periods

Mr Krtschil advised members that the 2007 Transport Workshop was recently held with
the purpose of:

       Briefing from industry representatives on containerised transport chain trends
        and issues; and
       Identifying improvements to the transport chain that will assist with managing
        the efficient handling of containers on a short-term basis during the Christmas
        peak period and on an ongoing basis.

The workshop examined the issues raised by the Committee, including the following:

       Spread of road transport movements outside of peak periods
       Increase in rail efficiency (eg. rail mounted gantries, train operations, intermodal
        network)
       Progress on electronic commerce initiatives
       Empty container park items (eg. extension of operating hours, collation of
        statistics)
       Container detention / number of days to return containers

A number of actions were agreed at the workshop and these are the following:

Action List – Short Term (July 2007 – December 2007)

Item Action                          Responsibility                     Lead
1    Examination of trucking         Stevedores / Sydney Ports          Sydney Ports Cargo
     issues, including early         Corporation / Sydney Ports         Facilitation Committee
     week congestion, vehicle        Cargo Facilitation Committee /
     booking systems                 Australian Trucking Association
     operations, including           NSW
     activity outside peak
     hours.

2       Continue to actively seek    Sydney Ports Corporation /         Sydney Ports
        approval for super-B         Patrick Port Services / P&O        Corporation
        double access at Port        Trans Australia / Austate
        Botany                       Logistics / Australian Customs
                                     Service / Roads and Traffic
                                     Authority / Australian Trucking
                                     Association NSW

3       Review of rail windows to Sydney Ports Corporation /            Sydney Ports
        reflect rail performance  Stevedores / RailCorp / Rail          Corporation
        and train paths           Operators

4       Examination of empty         Sydney Ports Corporation /         Sydney Ports Cargo
        park container               Sydney Ports Cargo Facilitation    Facilitation Committee
        operations, including        Committee / Empty Container
        extension to operating       Depots / Road Operators /
        hours and information        Shipping Lines
                                           FINAL                                          5
Item Action                         Responsibility                     Lead
     collation protocols

5      Consider the extension of    Shipping Lines                     Shipping Lines /
       the number of free days                                         Sydney Ports Cargo
       container detention                                             Facilitation Committee
       during the
       Christmas/New Year
       period



Action List – Medium Term (July 2007 – June 2009)

Item Action                         Responsibility                     Lead
6    Examination of trucking        Stevedores / Sydney Ports          Sydney Ports Cargo
     issues, including vehicle      Corporation / Sydney Ports         Facilitation Committee
     booking system                 Cargo Facilitation Committee /
     protocols, incentives for      Australian Trucking Association
     container movements in         NSW
     non-peak periods and
     introduction of webcams
     in port precinct

7      Improvements to rail         Sydney Ports Corporation /         Sydney Ports
       management in the            RailCorp / Rail Operators /        Corporation
       Botany Corridor to           Stevedores
       progress more efficient
       operations

8      Examination of better        Shipping Australia Limited /       Sydney Ports Cargo
       transparency of empty        Empty Container Depots /           Facilitation Committee
       container park capacities,   Custom Brokers and
       data availability and data   Forwarders Council of Australia
       transparency that would      / Sydney Ports Corporation /
       assist better management     Information Technology
       of container detention       Providers / Sydney Ports Cargo
       issues                       Facilitation Committee

9      Examination of electronic    Stevedores / Shipping Lines /      Sydney Ports Cargo
       commerce issues,             Australian Customs Service /       Facilitation Committee
       including potential          Australian Quarantine and
       improvements to existing     Inspection Service / Sydney
       systems                      Ports Cargo Facilitation
                                    Committee



Members discussed some of the items for the Action List. These were:

Action item 1: Mr Wilkinson informed members that the Committee discussed some
proactive ways to assist with the expected increase in volume during the peak period and
the congestion that can occur on Mondays. It was suggested that the ATANSW could
                                         FINAL                                         6
assist by marketing the use of Saturday timeslots at the stevedores. It was agreed that the
stevedores provide some recent data on the use of Saturday timeslots to assist in this
regard.

Action item 08/2007-02: Mr Wilkinson and Mr. Dorney to provide information on
weekend slot utilisation.

Action item 08/2007-03: Mr Preston to liaise with ATANSW in promoting
availability of weekend slots at the container terminals.


Action item 2: Mr Cavallo advised members that SPC had been liaising with the RTA
on this matter. Patrick Port services has submitted an application to the RTA for the use
of super-B doubles within the Port Botany precinct. This application is currently being
considered by the RTA.

Action item 4: Mr Krtschil asked members which empty container parks are most
needed by the industry to support an extension of operational hours. Members
mentioned the following: MCS 1, MCS Rail, Patrick Container Park, Tynes, P&O Trans
Australia and Cargolink.

Members were also advised that P&O Trans Australia at Botany Road have extended
their operating hours to 11:00pm on weeknights.

Action item 5: Mr Krtschil advised that the consideration of the extension of the
number of free days container detention during Christmas/New Year period is a matter
for individual shipping lines to address.

Action item 6: Mr Cavallo advised that Sydney Ports Corporation is investigating short
term/medium term options for the installation of web cameras at Port Botany. Further
information will provided as it comes available.


M. APEC 2007 Arrangements

Ms Jones advised members that the 2007 APEC Leaders Forum in September 2007 will
have no impact on Port Botany; however it will affect Port Jackson. Further information
on arrangements during this time is available from the APEC website
(www.apec2007.org).

Ms Juan-Vega advised members that holiday working arrangements for the port will be
distributed to the Committee.

Action item 08/2007-04: Ms Juan-Vega to send working holiday arrangements for
2007 APEC Leaders Forum to all Committee members.




                                          FINAL                                          7
5. REPORTS BY COMMITTEE MEMBERS

DP WORLD

Mr Wilkinson asked members if an intermodal representative still need to be considered
as a member of the SPCFC in future. Mr Krtschil informed members he will follow-up
this issue in the coming weeks.



6. NEXT MEETING

The next meeting of the Sydney Ports Cargo Facilitation Committee will be held on
Tuesday, 18 September 2007. The Chairman closed the meeting at 12:00 pm.




                                        FINAL                                       8

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:11
posted:9/14/2011
language:English
pages:8