Alphabet crossword: Students complete a crossword using words which start with
every letter of the alphabet.
Link to the curriculum: Grade 4 - Me and My Family: Review
Difficulty level: Medium
Time: +/- 20 mins
Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
Link to the material:
www.teachingenglish.edu.vn Page 1
Option 1: Worksheet
Make photocopies of the worksheet below for pairs/groups of students (Note: A better
quality PDF version can be printed out from:
Stage/ Time Procedure
Introduction 1. Tell the students to stand up and sing the alphabet song together as a
+/- 3 mins
2. Tell the students to sit down and that they are going to sing the alphabet
song again. But this time, when they sing the letter which their name
begins with - they have to stand up and sit down really quickly.
3. Sing the song again.
The game 1. Tell the students that today they are going to do an alphabet crossword
in order to review the alphabet.
2. Hand out the worksheet to pairs/groups of students and tell them to look
+/-15 mins at all the given pictures for +/- 30 seconds.
3. Check that they know what the pictures are as the whole class, for
Teacher: what is number “6”?
Teacher: what is number “7”?
Teacher: what is number “1”?
4. Give the students 5 -10 mins to complete the crossword in their groups.
Explain that they have to fill in the words that correspond to the
numbered pictures and demonstrate the first one as an example (e.g.
elicit that number 6 is „panda‟ and then write „P-A-N-D-A‟ in the given
Note: while the students are doing the crossword, write the numbers for
the words up on the board in the crossword‟s order. For example:
www.teachingenglish.edu.vn Page 2
5. Check answers as a whole class by nominating students to come up to
the board to write the words next to their corresponding numbers.
6. Panda, 7. Ball, 10. Ruler, 11. Mouse, 12. Ghost, 15. Ice cream, 19.
Kite, 20. Trousers, 23. Xylophone, 24. Apple, 25. Queen, 26. Egg.
1. Jumper, 2. Window, 3. Umbrella, 4. Violin, 5. Yacht, 8. Lion, 9. Dog,
13. Hat, 14. Shirt, 16. Cat, 17. Fish, 18. Zebra, 21. Orange, 22. Nose
Variation 1. If the activity is too challenging you can download the worksheet below
to support students. It is a matching activity that uses the same pictures.
www.teachingenglish.edu.vn Page 3
www.teachingenglish.edu.vn Page 4