8th Core Test Review – Revising and Editing
Core Objective: Distinguish between commonly confused words.
1. Each group member should get a sheet of paper (paper located at station).
2. Your task at this station is to write test questions relating to commonly confused
words. Keep in mind, you have seen many test questions in the past. Your goal
is to write a GOOD test question, not a question with a completely obvious, no-
duh type of answer.
3. In order to write a good test question, everyone in the group really needs to
understand the correct use for the following commonly confused words:
4. Turn to page 491 of The Writer’s Inc books. Look up each group of words to be
sure you understand them. The definitions will help you in writing your test
5. Using your new knowledge concerning the meaning behind these words create
your test questions. (One question per group of words above.)
SAMPLE TEST QUESTION:
Show your knowledge of the difference between “peace” and “piece” by choosing the
correct words for the following sentence. Circle the correct words.
Grandma often sits and rocks in the PIECE/PEACE and quiet of the
parlor, enjoying a PIECE/PEACE of cake.