VINAYAKA MISSIONS UNIVERSITY
V.M.K.V. ENGINEERING COLLEGE, SALEM
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
PART-A (2 Marks)
1. Define the term environment.
2. Define ecosystem.
3. Name the two broad classifications of the environment?
4. What do you mean by ecological pyramids?
5. Mention the various ecological factors that affect the sustainable development.
6. Enumerate the structural and functional elements of ecosystem.
7. Draw a neat diagram to illustrate the interrelationship among the water, air and land
8. Write the components of environment?
9. Give one example for producers, consumers and decomposers in an ecosystem?
10. What are the four segments of earth’s environment?
11. What are the major constituents of earth’s atmosphere?
12. Name the four important biogeochemical cycles in the ecosystem.
13. How is food web advantageous over food chain?
14. What is food chain? Give example.
15. What is known as tropic level?
16. Define biogeochemical cycle.
17. What are the functions of a hydrologic cycle?
18. Mention few natural calamities that affect the ecosystem.
19. What are consumers?
20. Whether the energy flow is a reversible reaction?
21. Define sustainable development.
22. Write hydrological cycle.
23. What is sedimentary cycle?
24. Draw the nitrogen cycle.
25. Write the components of hydrosphere.
PART-B (12 Marks)
1. Discuss in detail about (a) Lithosphere (b) Hydrosphere (c) Atmosphere
2. With typical examples explain the interrelationship between the components and
subcomponents of the environment.
3. Describe the various components of ecosystem structure.
4. Write a detailed note on development and evolution of ecosystem.
5. Explain with a neat diagram the different zones of the earth’s atmosphere and
6. Explain carbon cycle and nitrogen cycle as applicable to ecosystem.
7. State and explain in detail the various human activities and their impact on the
8. Briefly explain how natural calamities contribute to the environmental impacts.
9. Explain the structure and functional components of an ecosystem in a brief manner.
10. Describe the energy flow in ecosystem and the factors controlling it.
Part –A (2 Marks)
1. Give one example for sustainable development.
2. What is Rio de Janeiro conference agreement?
3. Define sustainable development
4. Define sustainability.
5. What are the characteristics of a sustainable development?
6. Mention the few types of pollutions.
7. What are the impacts of man made sources of pollution?
8. Give examples on water borne diseases.
9. What are the major issues of sustainable development?
10. Define air pollution.
11. Define water pollution.
12. Mention about natural sources of pollution.
13. Correlate Global warming with reference to CO2 concentration in air.
14. What is the goal of environmental protection?
15. What are the various quality objectives of air?
16. Mention any two environmental impacts of developmental projects in your discipline.
17. Mention the environmental impact of high sodium content in soil.
18. What are the causes for air pollution?
19. How will you rectify water pollution?
20. What is the acid rain?
21. Define Green house effect.
22. What are the gases responsible for green house effect?
23. How ozone layer depleted?
24. What are the toxic metals causes water pollution?
25. What are the toxic metals causes air pollution?
Part-B (12 Marks)
1. Explain the various physical properties of soil owing to the impacts on land
2. Briefly explain how natural calamities contribute to the environmental impacts.
3. Explain natural and manmade impacts on environment.
4. Explain briefly about the sustainable development.
5. Describe in detail about effects of water pollution on environment.
6. Write in detail on influence of air pollution.
7. Give in detail about land pollution and its effects.
8. Explain briefly about environment development.
9. Discuss the science of environment with attention to your branch of engineering.
10. Discuss briefly about the environmental impacts on marine habitat.
Part-A (2 Marks)
1. Define sewerage system.
2. Mention types of sewerage system.
3. What are the components of sewerage system.
4. What are the tests involved in chemical analysis of sewerage?
5. What are the tests involved in physical analysis of sewerage?
6. Define pH value.
7. Define dissolved oxygen.
8. Mention about sewerage decomposition.
9. What are the different methods involved in sewerage population forecasting?
10. Define run-off process.
11. Mention the types of sewerage characterization.
12. What is sewerage characterization?
13. Give any four drinking water quality standards.
14. What is source selection?
15. Write short note on water demand.
16. What is population forecasting?
17. What are the sources of waste water?
18. Mention the characteristics of sewage.
19. What are the compositions of sewage?
20. Write a short note on effluent standards.
21. Write a short note on source selection of water.
22. How will you describe the quality of water?
23. What is turbidity?
24. Write a short note on quantity of water yield.
25. Mention any two chemical parameters of drinking water.
Part-B (12 Marks)
1. Explain briefly about sewerage system.
2. Write about estimation of storm run off sewerage water.
3. Explain design period in detail.
4. Explain about population forecasting in sewerage system.
5. Explain about characterization of water quality.
6. Explain effluent standard.
7. Explain Characterization and composition of sewerage and their significant.
8. Explain about sources of water.
9. Briefly explain about water demand.
10. Explain about public water supply system.
Part-A (2 Marks)
1. Define water supply.
2. What are the sewerage materials?
3. Mention two advantages of A.C Pipes.
4. Mention four advantages of concrete Pipes.
5. Define RCC pipes.
6. What are the devices are include in sewer appurtenances?
7. What are the classifications of man holes?
8. What is testing of sewer pipes?
9. Write any two types of pumps.
10. Mention the advantages of air pressure pumps.
11. What are intake structures?
12. What is laying?
13. What is jointing?
14. Write any three types of pipe material.
15. Write about hydraulics of flow in pipes.
16. Write about hydraulics of flow in sewers.
17. What is sewerage?
18. What is the necessary for water supply system?
19. What is an appurtenance?
20. What do you mean by sewers?
21. What is a storm sewer?
22. Give any two computer application of storm sewers.
23. Define sewerage.
24. What is transmission main design?
25. Define hydraulics of flow.
Part-B (12 Marks)
1. Explain briefly about pipe materials.
2. Explain sewerage system.
3. Explain the differences between design of water supply pipe and sewerage
4. Draw a neat sketch on different shapes of sewerage pipes and their forces
5. Explain about laying and testing on sewerage pipe.
6. Explain briefly about pumps and their advantages.
7. Explain transmission main design laying, jointing, and testing of pipes.
8. Explain design of sanitary and storm sewerage.
9. Explain computer application on laying, jointing and testing of sewerage.
10. Explain about appurtenances of conveyance system.
Part-A (2 Marks)
1. Define Plumbing.
2. What is ‘plumbing water supply system’?
3. What is ‘plumbing sanitary or drainage system’?
4. Name the components of water connection system.
5. Write the importance of underground storage tanks.
6. Give examples for metal tanks used for water storage purpose.
7. What are the advantages of mild steel (M.S.) metal tanks?
8. Explain HDPE and FRP.
9. Write the advantage of automatic pumping system.
10. What is ‘bib cock’?
11. Define the principle behind the design of water supply.
12. How will you connect sanitary fixtures?
13. Name the systems of sanitary plumbing.
14. Give the relationship between fixtures and fitting.
15. What is pipe net work?
16. What are the provisions required to store water in the house?
17. How the domestic water system is contaminated?
18. How will you connect the wash hydrant?
19. Is there any measurement in laying the water pipe?
20. What type of material can we use for pipe line?
21. Name the different types of plumbing.
22. What are the precautions to be taken for plumbing?
23. What are trenches?
24. How will you maintained the house drainage system?
25. Give any four common sanitary fittings.
PART – B (12 Marks)
1. Write in brief about water connection components.
2. Explain the water storage systems in buildings.
3. Give a detailed account on piping systems in buildings.
4. Write the general requirements of domestic water storage tanks. Add notes on types of
tanks used in domestic overhead storage tanks.
5. Briefly describe the design considerations for water piping systems in buildings.
6. Discuss the sanitary fittings.
7. Explain the principles behind the house drainage system.
8. Explain the principles of water supply system.
9. Explain about the system of plumbing.
10. Explain the drainage system in buildings.
**************************GOOD LUCK ****************************