Minutes of 2nd Meeting of CONSAL XV Executive Board
JW Marriott Hotel, Medan
Thursday, 19 April 2011
08.00am – 13.00pm
CONSAL XV EXECUTIVE BOARD
Brunei Ms. Hjh. Rosnani Hj Yaakub
Cambodia Ms. Chhoun Mony
Ms. Yim Mory
Laos Ms. Khanthamaly Yangnouvong
Malaysia Mr. Mohd Sharif Mohd Saad
Ms. Hjh. Siti Rodziah Othman
Mr. Kamal Sujak
Myanmar Ms. Swe Swe Myint
Philippines Prof. Antonio Santos
Ms. Lilia Echiverri
Ms. Thelma Kim
Singapore Ms. Ngian Lek Choh
Thailand Dr. Prachark Wattananusit
Ms. Nawarat Panyangam
Vietnam Mr. Dang Van Uc
Mr. Pham The Khang
Ms. Bui Thi Thuy
CONSAL XV EXECUTIVE BOARD OF INDONESIA
Ms. Hj. Sri Sularsih
Director, National Library of Indonesia
Dr. Zulfikar Zen
Vice President, Indonesian Library Association
Mr. H. Bambang Supriyo Utomo
Secretary General, Indonesian Library Association
Mr. Amerigo Benigno
Library Association of Timor Leste
Ms. Margarida Soares
Library Association of Timor Leste
Mr. Dedi Junaedi
Main Secretary, National Library of Indonesia
Ms. Lilik Soelistyowati
Deputy Director, National Library of Indonesia
Mr. Nurdin Pane
Director of Library and Archive Board of North Sumatera
Ms. Woro T. Haryanti Acting Secretary General
Dr. Zulfikar Zen Member
Mr. Teguh Purwanto Member
Mr. Agus Sutoyo Member
Ms. Sauliah Member
Mr. Aristianto Hakim Member
Ms. Nori Safitri Member
Mr. Chaerul Umam Member
Opening session by Director of National Library of Indonesia
1. The Director of National Library of Indonesia, Ms Sri Sularsih, formaly opens the
session with a brief remark of greetings and chairs the meeting.
Welcome address by the Director of National Library of Indonesia
2. The meeting starts with a welcome address from Director of National Library of
Indonesia, Ms Sri Sularsih.
3. Ms Sri Sularsih conveys appreciation for the attendance of the delegates in
Medan as in the current meeting, all member countries are represented.
4. Ms Sri Sularsih also invites all board members, including the observers to go to
the front for photo sessions.
Introduction of Consal delegates
5. The meeting comprising 10 country members is declared a quorum by the
6. Ms Sri Sularsih invites all the participants to introduce themselves.
7. The delegates introduce themselves, starting in alphabetical order, from Brunei
Darussalam, and ended by the presiding Indonesian delegates. The Director also
introduces the two observers from Timor Leste, Mr Amerigo Benigno amd Ms
Margarida Soares, Ms Lilik Soelistyowati, Deputy for Developing Library
Materials and Information Services and Mr Dedi Junaedi, Main Secretary of
National Library of Indonesia and also Director of Regional Library and Archieve
Board of North Sumatera Mr Nurdin Pane.
Adoption of Agenda
8. Mr Antonio Santos suggests rearranging the agenda by putting country report
session to be the last item to discuss.
9. Ms Thelma Kim of the Philippines recalls the membership fee issue to Vietnam
10. Mr Antonio and Mr Sharif give their suggestion that it should be included in
11. It is approved by the Board.
12. The Chairman accepts all suggestions and approves it to be included in the
Adoption of 1st Meeting Minutes
13. The Chairman leads the agenda into the adoption of the 1st Meeting Minutes.
14. Mr Antonio Santos suggests that the Board approve the minutes since it has
been corrected and confirmed earlier before.
15. Ms Lilia Echiverri suggests to continue the agenda for discussing business
16. Mr Zulfikar opens up the issue about the seed money again and admits that there
was a miscommunication and unawareness of the Indonesian delegates about
the money given by in an envelope. On behalf of Indonesia Board, Mr Zulfikar
says that we will replace the money and case closed.
17. On behalf of Ms Nellie, Ms Rosnani says that seed money should be given out in
a formal session which is also suggested by Mr Sharif.
18. Mr Antonio raises the issue of the secretary general.
19. Mr Zulfikar explains that for the mean time, Ms Woro will act as the Secretary
General until the new definitive Secretary General is announced.
20. Ms Lilia asks about the board’s support for Malaysia in their bidding for hosting
IFLA Conference and Mr Antonio suggests Mr Sharif to explain the matter.
21. Mr Sharif explains that Malaysia’s bid to be the host for IFLA Conference has
22. Mr Sharif also asks about the opportunity for Cambodia to host the Consal
Conference after Thailand. Mony responds that Cambodia has not been ready
yet for hosting Consal after Thailand. Mr Zulfikar then suggests discussing it on
the next meeting.
Progress report on the preparation of Consal XV General Conference
23. Mr Zulfikar explains about the proposed date (28-31 May 2012), venue (Kartika
Discovery Hotel, Bali) and committee for the conference.
24. He asks for any opinion on the10 topics proposed from the Board.
25. Ms Ngian suggests that the topic number 10 should be taken wider not only
school library but other kinds of library and Ms Thelma also suggest changing the
title of the topic into a more general one.
26. Mr Antonio suggests that there should be a brief explanation on each topic.
27. Mr Sharif agrees to add another topic on the improvement of reading interest
through other libraries beside school library.
28. Ms Rosnani agrees with him.
29. The Board approves to extend the topic into the role of libraries in improving
30. Mr Antonio suggests changing the conference theme into “National Heritage:
Preservation and Dissemination”.
31. Mr Prachark asks to change topic no. 2 about preservation in library into a more
general one, not only in library area.
32. Ms Thelma thinks that the sub topics are distorted from the conference theme. In
her opinion, each sub topic has to convey national or cultural heritage phrase.
33. Mr Zulfikar explains that the topics are made so to attract participants from many
34. Ms Ngian suggests collecting papers sent by school libraries and sorting them
out to find the best one.
35. Mr Antonio asks about the registration fee in Bali. He suggests that it can be
arranged into package, group etc.
36. Mr Sharif says that the registration fee in the last conference in Hanoi was
affordable which he expects too for next conference in Bali. He says that Bali is a
popular tourism object so that people will be interested in visiting Bali.
37. Ms Ngian and other members suggest that the registration fee is around
US$100-200. Mr Zulfikar says that it will be forced into minimum because the
committee is going to seek for sponsors.
38. Ms Siti Rodziah seeks for time correction in call for papers.
39. Ms Mony and Ms Mory ask about accomodation and airfare supports for them.
40. Mr Zulfikar answers that Indonesia will try to find the best solution for it.
41. Mr Sharif says that we can ask for more information on those matters to
UNESCO’s Director office in Bangkok. According to him, UNESCO can give
42. Vietnam delegates ask about the formal letter concerning Consal projects.
43. Ms Ngian suggests a project on digital bibliography of rare books. She continues
that each member submit 10 best rare books and give images and brief
description on the materials to be digitized.
44. Mr Sharif agrees on the project while Ms Siti Rodziah asks about the proposal.
45. Mr Pham The Kang suggests that the criteria of the arre book should be made
46. In giving response to Ms Ngian’s opinion, Mr Zulfikar says that each country
member can digitize rare books and other materials and asks for the project
47. It is concluded that Singapore is expected to send their proposal containing the
criteria, templates etc need for the project initiation.
48. Ms. Ngian explained that they would send a proposal which also contains a
timeline to learn how to schedule and also time periods required in the project.
49. Mr Zulfikar explains about the school library project directory and research on
legal deposit act.
50. Ms. Ngian asks about the digital issue of material whether websites, blogs etc
are included in the research on legal deposit act.
51. Ms. Ngian responds that similar projects will be discussed both in CDNL & IFLA.
52. Ms. Sauliah says that the project is not included digital format yet.
53. Mr Zulfikar wants to know about the Laos project whether the training coverage
involving other Asean countries.
54. Laos explains the project is only for local participants.
55. Ms. Bui offers to make cooperation especially in the training with the neighboring
countries like Vietnam, Thailand etc.
56. Mr Zulfikar responds that the project do not have to involve other countries. If
there is a possibility of cooperation with other countries then it can be proposed.
57. Mr. Prachark asks about Laos project. Thailand comments that to get access to
the resources related to Laos projects, he offers some students from Laos to take
library study in Thailand.
58. Ms Siti Rodziah informs that Malaysian Government has a training project called
MTCP. She invites all member countries to send one participant.
59. Mr Prachark explains that the project proposed by Thailand will be moved two or
three years because there is no financial support from the government.
60. Mr Antonio suggests that the project is adopted in Consal 15 or 16.
61. Ms Ngian suggests contacting IFLA to seek for the funding.
62. Mr Sharif informs there is no proposal from Asean countries received by IFLA.
63. About the Consal librarian award, the participants discuss about the fixed criteria
so that there is no gap between those who deserve the award nationally or
internationally. What to consider is to divide the categories for the librarians’
achievement that could be acknowledged regardless of their services.
64. Mr Zulfikar suggests the Librarian Award be given to the public librarians.
65. Ms Ngian says that other librarians from other kinds of library will question the
award. She continues if the award will be given in turn that is acceptable.
66. Ms Rosnani asks for the criteria and guidance in selecting the nominees.
67. Vietnam advises that each country should at least send one nominee.
68. Mr Sharif agrees with Vietnam and adds that different category must be made
and criteria must be cleared. He also says that the librarians must be
69. Ms Mory agrees with Mr Zulfikar since it is difficult to find qualified librarian in
70. Ms Ngian suggests to make two categories: international and national impact
71. Ms Thelma says that the Consal Librarian Award should stick to the definition
and qualification of librarian. She can accept Mr Zulfikar’s idea but not to be
taken into Consal Librarian Award. She thinks that the idea is better to be taken
as an acknowledgment from Consal.
72. Mr. Zulfikar responds that every country is free to choose each criteria of the
librarian. Mr. Sharif suggests that the award-winning must come from each
country because of their differences of criteria.
73. Tony suggested that each host country has their own criteria and idea so as we
have done before, just let the host country do what they have proposed.
Therefore, the outstanding librarian award will keep running as proposed by the
74. The conclusion is not to bring this award into a competition but to reward and
recognize to the work of librarians who are very dedicated.
75. Mr Zulfikar responds that the agreement on the full membership of Timor Leste is
still awaiting for the progress of their membership in Asean. For the time being
they will be invited as the observer.
76. Mr Antonio responds that the issue should be re-discussed by all members
without the presence of Timor Leste. Referring to the constitution, there are
several points that should be discussed regarding to the status of Timor Leste.
77. Mr Sharif asks Timor Leste delegates whether they represent the national library
or the library association. Timor Leste replies that they are from the library
association. The report that at the moment they have not the national library yet.
78. Ms Rosnani has no objection with the membership of Timor Leste since they
need guidance. Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar and Philippines agreed but there
should be a formal acceptance after Consal XV. During the time, Timor Leste
could become an active observer to know more about Consal. Singapore,
Thailand and Vietnam all agree.
79. The Board agrees to accept Timor Leste but there are several points to be
80. Mr Antonio is appointed to prepare guidelines concerning Timor Leste’s
81. According to Ms. Bui that there has been a discussion about the website
although not yet concluded. Finally there is agreement between the 3 countries
namely Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam. Indonesia will take over
http://www.consal.org by May 2011 and each member country agrees to support
82. During the Consal 15 a booth should be set up for Consal. Every member
country should contribute materials to be exhibited including the book of Consal
83. Each country presents their country report in brief.
Acknowledgment and Closing Remarks
84. The 3rd Meeting of Consal XV Executive Board will be held in Bali on May 28,
85. EB members exchange tokens.
86. Ms. Hj. Sri Sularsih initiates to close the meeting and requests Mr Zulfikar to
proceed the closing.
87. Acknowledgement and closing remarks by Mr Zulfikar representing the President
of Indonesia Library Association.
88. At 13.00 the meeting is declared close.
Prepared by Chaerul Umam