3A. Top Small Business Lending Institutions by State and Territory Using Call Report Data, June 2008
Small Business Lending (<$1M) Micro Business Lending (<$100k)
Name of HQ State
Lending or Total Institution Total SSBL $ (1,000)
Institution City Territory Rank(1) LSBL/TA (2) LSBL/TBL (3) LSBL $ (4) LSBL # (5) Asset Size(6) Rank (7) (8)
Bank NA San Benito TX 87.5 0.331 1 51,810 418 $100M-500M 72.5 9,392
(1) Total Score (Total Rank). The total rank found in the first column is the score of the lender in the state in which it is listed. The number is the aggregate measure
of small business lending activity based on the sum of the four individual decile scores provided on the website.
(2) Ratio of Small Business Loans to Total Assets (LSBL/TA). This column shows the ratio of small business loans (<$1 million) to total assets for each lending institutio
A high ratio indicates a lender’s willingness to place a large portion of its assets in small business lending.
(3) Ratio of the Dollar Amount of Small Business Loans to Total Business Loans (LSBL/TBL). The ratio of small business loans (<$1 million) to total business loans
for each bank. Lenders that make business loans predominantly to small firms will rank high in this category.
(4) Total Dollar Amount of Small Business Loans (LSBL$). The dollar value (in thousands) of small business loans (<$1 million) outstanding as of June 30, 2008, from
the lending institution. Larger lenders will score well in this column and in column 5 because their size allows them to make more small loans than smaller lenders,
even if their commitment to small business lending, as shown by the ratios in columns 2 and 3, is low.
(5) Total Number of Small Business Loans (LSBL#). The total number of small business loans (<$1 million) outstanding for each lending institution.
(7) Total Score of Micro Business Loans (Total Rank). The total score of the lending institutions based on their micro business lending. The total score is the sum of
the four scores with respect to micro business loans of less than $100,000. A firm looking for a loan of less than $100,000 might do well to seek out a lender that rank
high in this column (and/or from table 3B).
(8) Dollar Amount of Micro Business Loans (SSBL$). The dollar value (in thousands) of micro business loans of less than $100,000.
(9) Number of Micro Business Loans (SSBL#). The number of small business loans of less than $100,000 made by the bank.
(10) Credit Card Loans to Total Assets (CRD/TA). The ratio of the dollar value of credit card loans to total assets.
Source: U.S Small Business Administration, Office of Advocacy, Office of Economic Research, from the Federal Reserve Board's Consolidated Reports of Condition & In
ss Lending (<$100k)
SSBL # (9) CRD/TA(10)
the aggregate measure
or each lending institution.
otal business loans
of June 30, 2008, from
s than smaller lenders,
tal score is the sum of
eek out a lender that ranks
Reports of Condition & Income for U.S. Banks.