Marvin Zuckerman (1928-)
Do you easily get bored?
• Perhaps you are high in sensation seeking
• Take an online test to find out
• How did you come out?
• What dimensions were high, what
dimensions were lower?
Sensation seeking and biology
• Some aspects of sensation seeking may be
related to some biological characteristics of
extraversion, to having a nervous system
that is not very sensitive and thus needs a
lot of stimulation to stay aroused.
• Introverts, on the other hand have more
sensitive nervous systems that easily get
overloaded, and prefer quiet environments.
Sensation seeking and
• Zuckerman suggests that high sensation
seekers tend to consider other people mostly
as an audience or as a source of stimulation.
• If true, this would reflect some immaturity,
a need to grow in empathy etc.
Gender and sensation seeking
• It is most likely not true that men are higher in
sensation seeking than women
• It IS true that men and women show different
profiles of sensation-seeking.
• Women's strongest sensation seeking mode is that
of "experience seeking", in which they surpass
• Adventure and thrill seeking, disinhibition and
boredom susceptibility are higher in men.
Positives and negatives of
• Energy, risk taking, tolerance for stress,
initiative, confidence are some of the
strengths of high SS
• Impulsivity, impatience, lack of
perseverance are some of the down sides of
high SS, and why they sometimes
• Whether one has a high or low SS
temperament is probably biological, and
neither good nor bad
• One just has to learn how to manage this.
For example, using one's energy in
constructive ways, understanding oneself.