Frequency #Students Genotype + Allele (#) -Allelle (#)
1. What can you say about people in the class who have at least one + Alu allele?
Is the + allele (that is the alu inserted sequence on chromosome 16) confined to
any particular racial or ethinc group?
2. How do the genotype frequencies in this experiment compare to those
expected by Hardy-Weinberg? (Similar or not?)
3. What conditions are necessary for a population to follow Hardy-Weinberg?
Does our class satisfy these requirements?
4.Which groups have very different genotype frequencies?
5. Is there any pattern of the allele frequencies world-wide?
6. What does this say about the origin and dispersal of Alu?
7. Calculations suggest that the PV92 insertion occurred about 200,000 years ago.
If this is so, in what sort of hominid did the jump occur and what implications
does this have for your hypothesis from #6 above?