Tiger Woods and
• Should Nike use Tiger Woods in its
– Nike Ads
– Article in the Marketing Exclusive
• Why Nike use Tiger Woods
– Marketing Management Concept
• Absence of ethical dimension in the concept of
– What should marketing professionals consider in
the issues like in this case?
Tiger Woods Advertisement
• The return of Tiger Woods as a Nike endorser—
and the use of his deceased father’s voice
• The result of this ads grabbed plenty of attention
last week for the sports brand.
• In the short term, it seems that the Nike brand
has taken a minor hit from the spot.
– A survey conducted by Flemington, N.J.-based HCD
Research Inc. indicates that Nike’s favorability among
viewers who had seen the spot dropped 13%.
Tiger Woods Advertisement
• John Rowady, president and founder of sports
marketing agency rEvolution in Chicago, has little
criticism for the spot, calling it “one of the
boldest creative commercials in a long time.”
• He says it certainly succeeds as an attention-
grabber. He also thinks the approach to Tiger
Woods is appropriate in making him more human.
this commercial is a way to make him more
acceptable in the eyes of the mainstream public.
• Marketing management is a business discipline which
is focused on the practical application of marketing
techniques and the management of a firm's marketing
resources and activities.
• Traditionally, marketing analysis was structured into
three areas: Customer analysis, Company analysis, and
Competitor analysis (so-called "3Cs" analysis). More
recently, it has become fashionable in some marketing
circles to divide these further into certain five "Cs":
Customer analysis, Company analysis, Collaborator
analysis, Competitor analysis, and analysis of the
• Marketing ethics is the area of applied ethics which deals with the
moral principles behind the operation and regulation of marketing.
• ETHICAL NORMS (by The American Marketing Association)
As Marketers, we must:
– Do no harm. This means consciously avoiding harmful actions or
omissions by embodying high ethical standards and adhering to all
applicable laws and regulations in the choices we make.
– Foster trust in the marketing system. This means striving for good
faith and fair dealing so as to contribute toward the efficacy of the
exchange process as well as avoiding deception in product design,
pricing, communication, and delivery of distribution.
– Embrace ethical values. This means building relationships and
enhancing consumer confidence in the integrity of marketing by
affirming these core values: honesty, responsibility, fairness, respect,
transparency and citizenship.