Solar energy and
Module B1, Session 8
SADC Course in Statistics
At the end of this session students will be able to:
• Explain the potential importance of solar energy in
• Explain the potential importance of solar cooking
• Describe a case study of solar cooking
• Identify aspects of the adoption of solar cooking
where statistical skills are useful
• Explain whether aspects of solar cooking are useful
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 2
1. Solar energy –
• videos produced by Christian Aid
2. Solar cooking in Kenya
• An interview with Margaret Owino
3. Group work
• Solar cookers and Derk Rijks in Chad
• Solar cookers in Kenya
• Group discussion
4. This presentation and discussion
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 3
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 4
Activity 1:Solar energy – the general case
• Can be on a large scale
• e.g. rural clinic with solar panels
• Or a small scale
• To charge a radio or mobile phone or lamp
• And solar cooking is possible
• What is happening with you?
• And what could happen?
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 5
Activity 2: Solar cooking
• The interview with Margaret Owino
• Director Solar Cookers International, Eastern Africa region
• Described the potential
• And also the reality
• It is complicated to introduce new technology
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 6
Activity 3: Group work
• Solar cooking in Chad
• Presentation by Derk Rijks
• Article in Solar Cookers International Newsletter
• A success story?
• Solar Cooker Dissemination in Kenya
• A web page on the project from 2003
• An articles as a case study - March 2007
• Why just in Chad?
• Correspondence on solar cooking evaluation
• And on the questions often asked about solar cooking
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 7
Survey results – Tanzania 2003
Source of energy for cooking?
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 8
Where is the statistics in all this?
• General survey results
• Such as the household survey
• Specialised surveys
– What is the potential for adoption
• Perhaps a partly participatory approach is needed?
• Asking hypothetical questions
• Taste testing trials
• If the cooked products need to be compared
• With different cooking methods
• When is there sufficient sun for cooking?
• e.g. What is the chance of cooking lunch (3hrs sun)
• Needs sunshine data – on an hourly basis
• And is included in this course
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 9
Activity 4 - discussion
• What is your view about solar energy
• and about solar cooking?
• In the last session
• you considered your personal role
• Did you mention solar energy?
• If you had this session first
• would you have done?
• What are your views now
• About your possible contribution
• And the support it might give
• To others you know?
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 10
To put your footer here go to View > Header and Footer 11