VIEWS: 1 PAGES: 18 POSTED ON: 9/5/2011
Moscow State University Moscow University was established in 1755. In 1940 it was named after Academician Mikhail Lomonosov, an outstanding Russian scientist. Old buildings of Moscow State University In 1755, on 25 January, St. Tatiana's Day according to the Russian Orthodox Church calendar, Empress Elizaveta Petrovna signed the decree that a university should be founded in Moscow. According to Lomonosov's plan, there were originally three departments. First all the students acquired a comprehensive knowledge in the field of science and humanities at the Philosophy Department; then they could specialize and continue at the Philosophy Department or join either the Law Department or the Medical Department. The University buildings were burned down during the French occupation, the library, archives, museum and all the equipment were destroyed. After the war 7,500 books had been collected for the University library by 1815. In spite of the difficult conditions, the academic year at Moscow University started on 1 September, 1813. In the late XIX century Moscow University contributed to the establishment of a number of museums in Moscow, such as the Polytechnical Museum, the Historical Museum, The Zoological Museum, The Anthropological Museum, The Museum of Fine Arts, the Botanical Gardens and the Zoological Gardens. The Great Patriotic War against Fascism was one of the most difficult periods in the history of Russia. Over 5000 University students, instructors, professors and staff fought in the war, seven became Heroes of the Soviet Union. In 1975 a memorial was erected on campus to honor over 3000 people Moscow University lost during the war. During the post-war period the new University campus was built on Vorobievy Gory (Sparrow Hills), where all the lecture halls and laboratories had the latest equipment available at the time. In June 1992 the President of the Russian Federation issued a decree, which established the status of Moscow University as a self-governing institution of higher education. In January 2005 Lomonosov Moscow State University celebrated its 250th anniversary. MSU collaborates with the International Association of Universities and has links with about 60 educational institutions, centres and unions in Europe, the USA, Japan, China and some other Asian countries, in Australia, Latin America, Arab countries. Since 1946, when the first international students were admitted, over 11,000 highly qualified specialists from 150 countries have graduated from MSU. Over 2,000 undergraduate and post-graduate students enroll every year, with over 400 students in intensive Russian/University preparation programmes. The total number of STUDENTS is 40 000. The staff includes more than 8 500 professors, associates professors and research associates. Currently the number of foreign students and postgraduates is 5000 from 80 countries MSU Library Now Moscow State University comprises 29 faculties and over 350 departments, 15 research institutes, 4 museums, Science Park, Botanical Gardens, the Library, the University Publishing House and printing shop, a recreational centre and a boarding school for talented children. You have an opportunity to observe the library of University. The MSU library is one of the largest in Russia, with its 9,000,000 books, and the average number of readers 55,000, using 5,500,000 books a year. The building of Medical Department Chemistry Department The Geology Department, which you can see there, was first introduced at Moscow State University at the beginning of the 19th century. In July 1935 the Chair of Mineralogy and Geodesy opened at the Physics and Mathematics Department within the Philosophy. Now the Geology Department is one of the major divisions of Moscow State University. The Department consists of 16 geology chairs, the Chair of Foreign Languages and five fundamental research laboratories. In 1755 he established the Laboratory of Chemistry at Moscow University which later evolved into the Chemistry Department. The Chemistry Department includes 17 chairs, 83 laboratories. 1048 students and 283 postgraduates study at the Department.
Pages to are hidden for
"MSU"Please download to view full document