In gymnastics, the gymnasts are awarded scored in two areas by a panel of judges.
A gymnast’s technical merit marks are based on the difficulty of the routine, its
variety, and how well she/he does the skills.
The gymnasts composition and style marks are based on the originality of the
routine, how well she/he keeps time to the music and how artistically
The marks are given in numbers between 1-10. 10 is considered a perfect score.
Judges can also give decimal numbers.(See example)
Use the scores below to answer questions and solve the problems.
5.6 5.4 5.3 5.6 5.5 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.6 5.5
5.7 5.6 5.9 5.7 5.8 5.6 5.8 5.7 5.5 5.7
5.9 5.8 5.8 6.0 5.9 5.6 5.9 5.7 5.6 5.7
5.7 5.6 5.4 5.7 5.8 5.6 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.5
1. Which judge awarded the highest score in the competition?
2. Which gymnast received the highest technical merit score from the Canadian
3. Which gymnast received the lowest composition and style score from the
4. What was the highest score awarded in the competition by the Australian
5. What is the difference between the technical merit scores awarded to the
two gymnasts by the Japanese judge?
6. What is the average technical merit score awarded by the Swedish judge?
7. What is the average of all the scores awarded by the Chinese judge?
8. Use a calculator to calculate the average of each contestant’s compositions
and style score.
9. Use a calculator to determine the average of each contestant’s technical
10. Use a calculator to determine the overall average (technical merit plus
compositions and style) of each contestant’s scores.