A Christian Perspective
A. The practice of homosexuality and its acceptance as an alternative lifestyle is
becoming more and more prevalent in our society today.
1. HOW SHOULD CHRISTIANS REACT TO THIS?
1) Eph 4:14-15: “As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and
there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery
of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love,
we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,”
2) We need to present the truth of God on the subject of homosexuality, but in
the proper way.
3) Maturing in Christ is the result of learning God‟s word—not man‟s word.
4) Rom 3:23: There is no place for a self-righteous, arrogant attitude on the
part of those who are trying to lead others out of sin.
B. A BRIEF LOOK AT HISTORY IN THE PAST 25 YEARS
1. 1978—“It may, or may not, come as a surprise to you that „the 1.9 million
member United Church of Christ disclosed that 7 out of 10 believe the Bible is
an inaccurate guide for contemporary sexual conduct.‟ (Los Angeles Times—
Washington Post News Service)
The above information came as the result of a 59-question survey which was
sent out to the 703 delegates of that organization, to which 70% responded. It
also disclosed that 73% of the „clergy‟ agreed „that Biblical assumptions about
sexuality have been proven inaccurate.‟ There seems to be a growing popularity
toward liberal views on sexual conduct.” (Words of Life, Truman Smith)
2. 1978—“Practically every newspaper and news magazine coming off the press
today reveals the efforts of homosexuals to find a place of acceptance in today‟s
society. The June 6, 1977 issue of Newsweek carries an eight page article titled
„Battle Over Gay Rights‟. In the article this statement is made on page 22,
column c, „One spokesman for the gay activists argued that since the only
scriptures in the Bible against homosexuality come from the Old Testament, not
the New, they are not totally binding upon Christians.‟”
(Vanguard, David Arnold)
3. 1992—“Well into my teenage years, I had never heard the word
„homosexuality.‟ Today, it is difficult to go through a single day without
hearing about it in some way. The „homosexual rights‟ advocates have brought
the topic out of the closet and into the forefront of discussion. In Houston and
other large cities across the nation, homosexuals and lesbians even have a day
for parades to „celebrate‟ their „pride‟ in their practice (see Prov.29:23; 16:18).
They have political action groups to advance their cause. There are „support
groups‟ funded by tax dollars on various college campuses across the nation.
Whether it be the protests for inclusion in „spousal insurance‟ on par with
„straight‟ couples, or the attempt by various denominations to „ordain‟
homosexuals into „the clergy,‟ the debate is increasingly heard.
While the debate is raging, there is an active effort to portray homosexuality in a
positive light. Its practitioners are rarely termed „sodomites‟ anymore. The new
word is „gay‟ a word which before its recent abuse referred to one who was
light-hearted and cheerful, not limp-wristed and sinful. The present attempt is
to redefine homosexuality as an alternate lifestyle rather than a practice of sin.
Our children are increasingly told that negative views towards homosexuals are
evidence of bigotry on a par with racial prejudice.
The entertainment industry has played a significant role in attempting to
transform public attitudes towards homosexuality. The movies and television
shows which depict homosexuality do not view it as a case of immorality, but of
„civil rights.‟ They realize that they have a public relations problem with which
to deal and they are doing their best to change popular opinion. Newsweek (July
20, 1992, p.55) revealed a study comparing the values of Hollywood to the
national average. When asked whether they believed homosexual acts were
immoral, only 20 percent of those in Hollywood answered „yes‟ verses 76
percent of the rest of the nation. Given the previous success of Hollywood at
changing public values and the low morals of our society, we dare not
underestimate the impact such a campaign will have in coming years.”
(Guardian of Truth, Harry R. Osborne)
4. 1993—“No society has ever accepted homosexuality as a „normal alternative.‟”
(Baker Encyclopedia of Psychology, p.522)
“It has been always been accepted that people engaged in it, from Plato‟s
Symposium to the Roman Caesars. Researchers Kinsey, Pomeroy and Martin
say that in 1948 less than 5% of people in America had a strong homosexual
drive and 5% were bisexual. It has always been „seen negatively everywhere‟
(Ibid, p.523). Fifty years ago in the U.S. one caught in homosexual activity
could be arrested for „disorderly conduct.‟
Today, the „gay rights movement‟ portrays homosexuality as normal behavior
one is born with and cannot help. In 1973, the American Psychiatric
Association removed homosexuality from its official list of mental disorders,
with the change being supported in 1975 by the American Psychological
Association who urged that „all mental health professionals take the lead in
removing the stigma…that has long been associated with homosexual
orientations.‟ Now major cities have „gay pride week‟ to commemorate the
„Stonewall riots‟—a June, 1969 3-day confrontation between police and
homosexuals in New York‟s Greenwich Village after police raided a gay bar.
Talk shows tout homosexuals as nice, normal people who just happen to have
another sexual orientation. It is later than we think.”
(Christianity Magazine, Frank Walton).
5. 1994—“With his hand placed upon God‟s Holy Word, the following words
were uttered: „I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of
President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, to preserve,
protect and defend the constitution of the United States, so help me God.‟
Within 24 hours, our president placed his hands upon a piece of paper, signing
his name, giving his support to legislation that gives people the right to murder
unborn babies. His next order of business was to try and remove all bans for
homosexuals and lesbians to enter into the military.
The „gay‟ community is overflowing with happiness that Bill Clinton is now the
president of the United States. He supports their lifestyle, has given some of
them positions within his White House Staff, and received 72% of their vote.
They feel they can now „come out of the closet‟ and receive „their due respect.‟
Christian, it is time to stand up and take note!
On January 26, 1993, from 9-10 p.m. (primetime television) a program entitled
„The Gay 90‟s—Sex, Power, and Influence‟ was aired on a local station.
Interviews were conducted with several „gay‟ couples all expressing happiness
with their „new found freedom‟ of not having to feel ashamed or secretive about
their chosen lifestyle anymore. Our president was shown expressing his thanks
to this group of people for electing him, and he assured them he had a place for
them within his administration. For the first time, I fear the world in which my
children will live.” (The Preceptor, Peggy Dreus)
6. 1995—“In modern times, American anthropologist Clellan Ford (1909-72) and
psycho-biologist Frank A. Beach (1911-88) in their study of 76 societies,
reported that two-thirds of them considered homosexual activities normal and
socially acceptable. One-third of those societies including those of many
industrial countries, gave little or no sanction to homosexuality. For those
honestly seeking an answer to the question of the morality of homosexuality, the
practices of societies give no single answer. Even among the wise, the scribe,
and the disputer of our age there is no single answer. Where will the truth
Clark Morphew, religious writer for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, describing the
inner turmoil of his homosexual friend and Lutheran clergyman, Philip
Knutson, wrote, „But Phil felt called by God. Why then, he wondered, would
God summon him to service and then bar him by rules that were, in his mind,
ridiculous, outdated and damaging to so many good people? He wondered
whether this were God‟s cruel, cosmic joke. But the rules were made by the
church, he reasoned, and may not be God‟s idea at all.‟
Failing to find an answer from the wise of this age, many look within
themselves for the answer. In Phil‟s „mind,‟ a condemnation of homosexuality
is „ridiculous, outdated and damaging to so many good people.‟ If God
condemns homosexuality then He must be a cruel cosmic jokester who creates
„good people‟ with uncontrollable homosexual desires and then condemns them
for fulfilling those desires. If, however, God condones homosexuality then He
is good and the „church‟ is the villain, making rules that were not God‟s idea at
all. One who believes in the goodness of God has thus rationalized his
homosexual behavior, not on the basis of God‟s revelation but on the basis of
human reasoning. Again, man stands on unsure ground in accordance with the
proverb, „There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of
death‟ (Prov.14:12).” (The Preceptor, Karl Hennecke)
7. 1998—“For most of America‟s history homosexuality has been condemned.
Now, however, a strong gay rights movement in America is legitimizing this
pagan activity. There are currently more than 150 gay rights laws on the books
in various states and municipalities in America.”
(Christianity Magazine, M. Thaxter Dickey)
8. 2001—“The Metropolitan Community Church was organized in 1968 by Troy
Perry. Metropolitan Community Church congregations can be found in most
American cities and a dozen foreign countries. They claim 80% of their
members are homosexual. In one of their tracts, Why We Are a Fellowship,
James Sandmire states the Metropolitan Community Church „creates
community where it never existed before: literally thousands of lesbians and gay
men take great strength and comfort in the fact that in most major cities, and
now in many rural communities, there is a Metropolitan Community Church.
We are becoming widely recognized as a Church of liberation for a community
in need. This need increases with changing political climates, health crises and
attacks from the religious right.‟” (Homosexuality: What does the Bible Say?,
David Padfield tract)
9. 2003—“Last week Canadian courts legalized homosexual marriages and now
the liberal Canadian parliament is working on legislation to validate that ruling.
According to today‟s New York Times, the United States recognizes legal
Canadian marriages. Moreover, Canada does not have any residency
requirements to obtain a legal marriage there. You can see where this is
„What this presents for American couples is an opportunity to easily enter into a
legal marriage and come back to the United States with a powerful tool to break
down the remaining discrimination here,‟ said Lavi Soloway, founder of the
Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force. Not only that, but
homosexual advocates will point to Canada as an example the United States
should emulate. „They do it there, why not here?‟
…The issue of homosexual marriage is currently pending before the
Massachusetts Supreme Court. A decision is expected within weeks and I have
little confidence that the Bay State justices will consider this issue in its proper
context. We have all the makings of a constitutional and societal crisis over the
very definition of marriage and family, yet most of our political leaders are
silent!” (The Northern Front, Gary Bauer, email from Paul Mitchl)
*Let God define marriage—not the government!
10.2003—From Pastor Andy of Irving Bible Church regarding the elevation of
Gene Robinson, (the homosexual pastor) to Bishop of the Episcopal Church.
“Those of you who were at IBC last Sunday know that I addressed the
Episcopal Church in the USA‟s recent decision to make Gene Robinson, an
openly non-celibate homosexual, a bishop in New Hampshire. I shared some
further thoughts on this situation with our IBC staff yesterday, and I‟ve decided
to pass them on to you as well. If I‟m going to get in hot water for speaking out
against this travesty, I‟d just as soon take a flying leap as to ease in gently. So
here it goes.
Scripture is clear that homosexual contact is sin in the eyes of God. But so is
lying, gossiping, and over-eating. I have friends in the gay community who
rightfully protest conservative believers‟ penchant for implying that sodomy is
somehow the pinnacle of iniquity. Sure, gay sex is wrong. But isn‟t adultery
and fornication just as odious in God‟s eyes? He is an equal opportunity deity
when it comes to equivalence in hating all sin, not just the pariah sins of
So this isn‟t about homophobia, high horses, or stone-throwing. In my mind,
it‟s about something far more insidious. It‟s not about men being sinners, but
about sinning men redefining their sin as virtue. Good grief, it‟s not news that a
clergyman experiences moral failure. What‟s news about Gene Robinson is that
he is promoting moral failure as a virtue. He actually stated that his relationship
with Mark Andrews, a man for whom he left his wife and grown children, is
No, I‟m not put out with Gene Robinson because he‟s gay. I‟m put out with
him because he‟s a church leader with huge influence over the lives of people,
and he‟s using that influence to lead them astray.”
C. The problems surrounding this issue (or any issue) are often clouded because
of the EMOTIONAL FERVOR attached to it.
1. Let us lay aside our emotions and our opinions and focus on what God has to
say about the problem of homosexuality.
I. FROM THE BEGINNING.
A. The very first book of the Bible presents God’s truth concerning lawful
sexual relationships, that being in the realm of a lawful (God’s law, not
1. Gen 1:26: Mankind was created in the image and likeness of God.
1) Man was placed on earth to rule…over all the earth.
2. Gen 1:27: God created male and female.
1) Gen 1:28: “And God blessed them; and God said to them, „Be fruitful
and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it…‟”
2) God created man and woman fundamentally distinct and different but
3) Regarding being fruitful, the man needed woman and the woman needed
man, in order to accomplish this charge.
3. Gen 2:18: We find that God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I
will make him a helper suitable for him.”
1) Gen 2:24: Thus from the beginning, the heterosexual relationship is the
norm created and established (ordained) by God.
2) The only provision that God made for the home is that the man would
leave his home and the woman would leave her home and the two would
be joined together in that one flesh relationship.
3) God made man and woman compatible enough to be able to cleave to one
another as husband and wife.
4) Anything that deviates from God‟s ordained plan of one man for one
woman joining themselves together is wrong and sinful.
4. Gen 3:20: “Now the man (Adam) called his wife‟s name Eve, because she
was the mother of all the living.”
1) Notice that for Adam the Lord made Eve, not Steve!
2) Eve, is described as Adam‟s wife…she…the mother (not the father) of
B. Gen 1:26-27: Mankind was created in the “image” and “likeness” of God,
placed on earth to “rule” and subdue it, to have dominion over every living
thing, thereby NEEDING the God-given ability to make CHOICES and
intelligent decisions. (Not say to a rock to be over other rocks).
1. Gen 3:1-6: We find recorded one of the first choices between right and
wrong made by man, the decision whether or not to eat of the fruit of the
1) The woman (Eve) was first faced with the decision of believing the truth
of God or being beguiled by the father of liars, the devil (John 8:44).
2) What did they do? “she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to
her husband with her, and he ate.”
3) Sadly, the majority of the world follows Eve‟s pattern, making the wrong
choice by believing a lie rather than accepting God‟s word (2 Cor 4:3-4;
2 Thes 2:10-13).
2. While it is true we did not have a choice regarding our sex (male or female)
when we entered this world at birth, we do have a choice between the
heterosexual versus homosexual behavior and relationships in later years.
1) If one chooses the abnormal and sinful relationship (homosexuality) over
God‟s ordained, normal and lawful relationship (heterosexuality-God‟s
original plan for man and women in a marriage relationship), then that
person is in opposition to God, preferring and choosing an abnormal and
unholy manner of life.
3. Are homosexuals born that way? No, they prefer to be that way and they
themselves make the decision!
1) Gal 5:19-20: “Fornication” is at the top of the list of the works of the
flesh which prohibit entrance into the kingdom.
2) Fornication is sin and man makes the choice to serve Satan or God.
3) Man was created with the ability to choose the servant whom he will
obey, either sin unto death or obedience into righteousness (Rom 6:16).
4) When it is argued that homosexuals are “born that way,” having no
choice, then those who so argue, charge God the creator with being the
root cause of homosexuality which is contrary to His own original design,
purpose and will.
5) Such reasoning makes God the king of hypocrites and an unjust God—
creating “in His own image,” what he condemns in His word (Gen 1:27;
6) In both the Old and New Testaments condemns homosexuality as a
perversion of God‟s design of one man and one woman in a loving,
II. HOMOSEXUAL CONDUCT WAS “A GRIEVOUS SIN” IN THE DAYS OF
THE PATRIARCHS (BEFORE THE LAW OF MOSES).
A. Gen 19:24-28: The destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah is
1. The apostle Peter explains that this unique judgment upon these two cities
was to serve as an example:
1) 2 Pet 2:6: “and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to
destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to
those who would live ungodly thereafter;”
2) Why was Sodom and Gomorrah chosen to be an example of God‟s
ultimate judgment upon the ungodly?
3) What were they doing that made them so different from other ungodly
cities at that time? Here is what Abraham was told:
2. Gen 18:20: “And the LORD said, „The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is
indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave (very grievous).‟”
1) What was their “sin” that was “very grievous?”
3. Gen 19:1-8: Their sin was committed BEFORE “the two angels came to
1) 4: “All the people from every quarter (end)—surrounded the house” to
participate in whatever the “sin” is.
4. Gen 19:5: “Bring them out to us that we may have relations with (know) them
1) In the majority of passages the word “yadah” does indicate “become
2) But there are 12 passages in the OT that have a sexual connotation.
3) Jud 19:22-24: The men of Gibeah tried to do the same thing.
4) The word “know” as used here is often a euphemism for sexual relations
(Gen 4:1, 17).
5) Gen 19:6: “But Lot...shut the door behind him.”
*If yadah simply means bring them out that we may “get acquainted with”
them—Lot would be the one guilty of showing a lack of hospitality.
5. Gen 19:7: Lot says, “Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly.”
1) It is apparent that Lot understood their intentions were not honorable.
2) Was Lot wicked or were the people of Sodom and Gomorrah?
3) Who was punished? Who was righteous? (Gen 18:26-32; 19:15-26).
6. Gen 19:8: “Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations
with man…do to them whatever you like…only do nothing to these
men…under the shelter (Lit., shadow) of my roof.”
1) This statement by Lot is hard to understand. I‟m not justifying what he did.
2) Perhaps it expresses his concept of hospitality in that he was willing to suffer
personal loss rather than allow it to happen to his guests.
3) Lot‟s startling offer of his two daughters at least confirms that he understood
the crowd‟s intentions were sexual in nature.
4) But notice also that Lot explains that his original hospitality to these two
strangers was precisely to protect from this sort of homosexual rape the
crowd was intent on inflicting (Gen 19:1-3).
7. 9: “He keeps acting as a judge”
1) The crowd‟s response to Lot‟s pleas is also insightful.
2) Their reaction is somewhat similar to many today who say to those who
would dare point out sinful conduct, “Who are you to judge?”
3) People haven‟t really changed much, have they?
4) What people fail to realize is that when you point out what the Word of God
says about certain conduct, YOU ARE NOT JUDGING THEM, it is the
WORD OF GOD that is judging them.
5) In return, they themselves are trying to avoid the condemnation of the
MESSAGE of God by condemning the MESSENGER!
8. Jude 7: “Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they
in the same way as these indulged in gross (sexual) immorality (fornication)
and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the
punishment of eternal fire.”
1) Notice that Jude describes the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah as “sexual
immorality” and going after “strange flesh” (includes heterosexual
2) Nothing about it being a lack of hospitality! (sinned before angels came)
3) To strengthen the point on “strange flesh,” read Gen 2:23-24:
“And the man said, „This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.‟ For this
cause a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his
wife; and they shall become ONE FLESH.”
4) This is the only flesh that man has a right to.
5) The sin was not humans wanting to commit immorality with angels (sinned
before angels came).
6) The sin was not refusing to populate the earth by wanting men.
7) “Strange flesh” suggests a departure from the law of nature, and refers to
that which is contrary to nature (Rom 1:27).
9. Lev 10:1: Nadab and Abihu “offered strange fire before the Lord, which He
had not commanded them.”
1) They offered an UNAUTHORIZED FIRE!
2) Homosexuality is UNAUTHORIZED SEXUALITY!
3) The ashes of these ancient cities should serve as an example to those who
live ungodly (2Pet.2:6).
10. Gen 19:4: “The men of Sodom”: This is the basis of the term “sodomy,” which
appears in some passages of Scripture in the Bible (Deut 23:17; 1 Kings 14:24)
and has come into the English language in our law statutes.
1) Sodomy is defined: “Unnatural sexual relations, especially between male
persons or between a human being and an animal” (The Reader‟s digest
Great Encyclopedia Dictionary).
2) It is clear from Gen 19:1-13 that the practice of homosexuality, or sodomy,
was the very thing that brought about their destruction by fire and brimstone
from the Lord.
3) Prov 14:34: “Righteousness exalts a nation: but sin is a reproach to any
4) Gen 18:23-32: Ten righteous souls would have delivered Sodom.
5) Since less than 10 righteous could be found, two angels were sent to warn
III. HOMOSEXUAL CONDUCT WAS “A CAPITAL CRIME” UNDER THE
LAW OF MOSES.
A. Lev 18:22-30: Can it be any clearer? Homosexual conduct is “an
abomination” to the Lord!
1. Together with “bestiality” (23) it was one of the sins that justified God in
giving the land of Canaan to the Israelites, for the previous occupants were
guilty of such sins (24-25).
1) Also, the Israelites were warned that if they engaged in the same kind of
sins, they too would become “defiled”, “spewed (vomited) out” (28) of
the land, and “shall be cut off from among their people” (29).
2) 30: “Thus you are to keep My charge, that you do not practice any of
the abominable customs which have been practiced before you, so as
not to defile yourselves with them; I am the LORD your God.”
3) Of course, homosexuals today claim this verse was just not translated
4) Could those guilty of bestiality claim this verse was also mistranslated by
a group of bashers?
2. Lev 20:13: “If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a
woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be
put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.”
1) Although we are not under the Law of Moses we can learn that while the
Law was in effect, without question homosexuality was clearly a
“detestable act,” even worthy of “death.”
2) It also reveals God‟s attitude toward homosexuality.
B. Israel was not to imitate the immoral conduct of the surrounding nations.
1. Deut 18:9: “When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you,
you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations.”
1) This included the cultic homosexual prostitutes known as “dogs,” who
performed homosexual acts as part of pagan worship.
2) Deut 23:17: “None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute,
nor shall any of the sons of Israel be a cult prostitute (sodomite).”
2. Sadly, such arose in Judah in Rehoboam‟s day.
1) 1 Kings 14:24: “And there were also male cult prostitutes (sodomites) in
the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations
which the LORD dispossessed before the sons of Israel.”
3. Later when Asa put away the sodomites by the death penalty commanded in
the Law, God approved of the cleaning of such immorality.
1) 1 Kings 15:11-12: “And Asa did what was right in the sight of the
LORD, like David his father. He also put away the male cult prostitutes
(sodomites) from the land, and removed all the idols which his fathers
4. Josiah‟s reforms tore down the houses of these religious sodomites, which
were “in the house of the LORD.” Was God pleased with Him?
1) 2 Kings 23:7: “He broke down the houses of the male cult prostitutes
(sodomites) which were in the house of the LORD, where the women were
weaving hangings for the Asherah.”
2) 2 Kings 22:2: “And he did right in the sight of the LORD and walked in
all the way of his father David, nor did he turn aside to the right or to the
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE NEW TESTAMENT? WHAT DOES IT SAY?
IV. THE NEW TESTAMENT IS CLEAR IN ITS CONDEMNATION OF
A. Were Adam and Eve married? When did they marry?
1. Eph 5:22-33: The relationship between Christ and the church is like the
relationship between a husband and wife.
1) 31 (Gen 2:24): “For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother,
and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh.”
2) From the very beginning we have the God ordained pattern: one man, one
woman, for one lifetime (said before sin entered—needed further
instructions), and this being the only flesh union that God recognizes.
2. Matt 19:5: Jesus quotes the very words of Moses (Gen 2:24) and applies
that to the marriage relationship.
1) The only flesh union Jesus recognized was the one God instituted in the
beginning—the union between a man and a woman.
3. God still condemns it as ungodly rebellion in the NT.
1) 1 Tim 1:8-10: “But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully,
realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous man, but for those
who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the
unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, or
murderers and immoral men (fornicators) and homosexuals (sodomites)
and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to
2) “Homosexuals” (arsenokoitai; arsenoloites): Literally “male in a bed.”
3) The Greeks used this word for one who took an aggressive role in
4) “Fornicators”: Since the “sound doctrine” of the gospel of Christ
condemns even sexual relations between UNMARRIED
HETEROSEXUALS, it should not be hard to understand that sex
between unmarried homosexuals is wrong as well!
B. Rom 1:18-28: Paul discusses the wrath of God which is directed toward
those who do not honor God.
1. 18: God‟s wrath is “revealed…against all ungodliness and
1) How did they get in such bad shape?
2. 19-21: They denied God.
1) “They became futile (vain) in their speculations (reasonings).”
2) “Their foolish heart was darkened.”
3. 22-23: Whenever God is rejected people become foolish in their actions.
1) 22: It is when man professes himself to be “wise” that such ungodliness
2) This lesson needs to be learned today in this “Age of Enlightenment”!
3) 23: They made their own ideas into “gods” through idolatry.
4) The righteous indignation of God is directed toward those who reject the
clear evidence of God‟s existence and power as revealed in nature, and if
religious at all, make God over into an “image” of their own choosing.
5) Whereas today we are too “sophisticated” to fall for thinking that God is
like a graven image, there is ever the tendency to “recreate God in our
own image,” so that He thinks like us, and acts like us.
6) We need to be reminded of what is said in Isa 55:8-9.
4. 24-25: Rather than striking them down with a bolt out of the sky, God has
expressed His RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION by “giving them up” to moral
“impurity (uncleanness)” that “dishonors their bodies.”
1) In other words, those who are not willing to “honor” (21) God as God are
simply allowed to degenerate into moral decay.
5. 26-27: The manner of the idolaters‟ sexual perversion is clearly described.
1) The context declares the meaning of “impurity” or the manner in which
they “dishonored” God and their own bodies.
2) Lesbianism and homosexuality is contrary to the “natural function” of
man and woman and against natural production (Gen.2:23-24—Mt.19:4-
3) It is “unnatural (against nature)”—man‟s inherent distinctive qualities.
4) Nature itself teaches us that homosexuality is wrong.
5) The animal kingdom even knows better!
6) Lesbianism and homosexuality being against natural production, rules out
a person being born that way!
* 21: “they became futile (vain)”—NOT BORN VAIN.
* 22: “they became fools”—NOT BORN FOOLS.
* 26: “God gave them over to degrading passions”—NOT CREATED
WITH DEGRADING PASSIONS (VILE AFFECTIONS).
* 26: “women exchanged the natural function…unnatural”—NOT
BORN AGAINST NATURE.
* 27: “also the men, abandoned the natural function of the woman
and burned in their desire (lust) toward one another”—NOT BORN
IN THEIR LUST TOWARD ONE ANOTHER.
6. 27: “committing indecent acts (unseemly; Lit., shameless deeds)”
1) 1Cor.13:5: Love “does not act unbecomingly (behave itself unseemly)”
* LXX: Uses the same Greek word to translate Dt.24:1: “indencency”.
2) Homosexuality is unseemly, indecent, shameful behavior!
7. 27: “receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.”
1) This would certainly include sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS.
2) Those who do not engage in immorality of any kind have less fear about
sexually transmitted diseases than those who choose to disregard God‟s
8. 28: To engage in immorality, as the heathen nations did, is to REJECT GOD
and God in turn rejected them.
1) Three times in this section we find the expression “God gave them over
(up)” (Ro.1:24, 26, 28).
2) The point is clear: when people choose to reject God by not honoring and
thanking Him,—they recreate God (or gods) in their own image, God
“gives them up” to “go their own way.”
3) Those who practice immorality, “did not like to retain God in their
9. 28: “depraved mind”—Unrestrained by God in any way, they gravitate into
increasing levels of immorality!
1) For some, it involves hetero-sexual immorality, such as premarital sex or
2) But for others, it includes lesbianism and homosexuality.
C. Born that way?
1. Ezek 18:4, 20, 23, 30-31: Not inherit sins but learn sins (murder).
1) Rom 3:23: People become sinners (enslaved)—not born that way.
2. 1 Cor 6:9-11: God loves homosexuals and lesbians just as He does
fornicators, drunkards, adulterers, liars, thieves, murderers (Paul) and other
1) Therefore Christians are to love all sinners.
2) God warns and calls on sinners to repent and be saved.
3) Nowhere does the Bible teach that man is without choice in the realm of
4) 1 Cor 6:18: “Flee immorality (fornication).”
5) 1 Cor 6:11: Some did—“were washed…sanctified…justified…in the
6) Many have done so since that time.
1. God’s basic principles of righteousness have remained constant throughout
the different periods of Bible history.
1. For example murder and adultery has always been condemned by God.
2. We have seen that homosexuality has been identified as:
1) A “grievous sin” in the times of the Patriarchs—before the Law.
2) An “abomination” and a “detestable act” in the Law of Moses.
3) “Shameful,” “against nature,” indicative of “a depraved mind,” and
“contrary to sound teaching (doctrine), according to the glorious gospel”
of Jesus Christ in the NT.
2. Leaving immorality is not always easy.
1. As with all sinners, forgiveness can be received immediately when united with
Christ in His death through baptism (1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38, 41).
2. But living the kind of “sanctified” life required of all Christians is one that
requires a “transformation” which occurs in time as we submit our minds and
bodies to the transforming and strengthening power of the Holy Spirit through
the Word of God (Rom 1:16: Eph 3:20; Phil 4:13, 18-19).