Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church
JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR OF MUSIC AND WORSHIP
JOB DESCRIPTION: Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church, an active member of the Evangelical
Presbyterian Church (EPC) located in Fair Oaks, California (20 miles east of Sacramento) is
seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Director of Music. This position requires a
candidate who possesses a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and the full authority of scripture.
We are looking for a team player who has a passion for worship, a servant's heart, proven
musical skills, and creativity.
This person should also possess the ability to develop growing musicians as well as direct
experienced musicians to lead congregation members into heartfelt worship. Candidate must
have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective planning and
Familiarity with both traditional hymns and contemporary praise songs is required. Candidates
should be proficient at sight-reading music, as well as vocal and choral direction.
Candidates must exhibit knowledge and skill in working with youth/children. They must also be
willing to oversee the development of programs that effectively teach music skills to children
• Be responsible for the operation and development of the music program of the church in
collaboration with the Senior Pastor and Session.
• Plan the content (music and worship) for the blended worship service under the direction
of and in partnership with the Senior Pastor. Ideal candidate will have a broad knowledge
of the traditional music library and be able to complement the Senior Pastor’s sermons
with planned choral music in advance of performance dates.
• Direct and develop the Adult (Chancel) Choir, Praise Team, instrumentalists, and other
• Be responsible for the development of other musical leaders.
• Consult, and be a resource for the contemporary service worship leader.
• Member (ex-officio) of the Worship Committee of Session.
• Prepare and manage the annual budget for the Music/Worship Ministry in consultation
with the Worship Committee.
• Attend workshops and seminars, as appropriate, for professional and/or spiritual
• Supervise all paid and volunteer choral leaders, musicians, any musical performing arts,
and audio-visual technicians.
• Be responsible for maintaining current updates of worship ministry on FOPC website.
• Work as a mentor/resource for the contemporary worship leader/service.
• Supervise and work with the directors of the children and youth choirs.
• Be strongly committed to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
• Adhere to the Christian standard of moral conduct. (background check will be required).
• Be a skilled musician (piano experience desired).
• Be a highly skilled choral conductor with orchestra experience preferred.
• Be a part of the FOPC church community and family.
• Maintain a courteous Christ-like attitude in dealing within and outside of FOPC.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Music required and Master’s Degree preferred.
• Minimum of five years experience in church worship leadership (10+ years of traditional
choral conducting desired).
• Training and experience in leading blended (traditional and contemporary) worship
• Instrumental/orchestra conducting experience required.
• Has created/directed special worship events (Christmas, Easter programs, etc).
• Proficient in computers with some knowledge of web design, CD/DVD creation, postings
REPORTS TO: SENIOR PASTOR and SESSION
Date Created: May 2009