February 28 & 29
• Continue ACT Preparation
• Collected Bell Ringer
• Refresher of example for Group Activity
• Group Activity
• My annual salary in 2008 was $140,000.
My salary decreased 60% as a teacher.
What is my new salary?
• Angle ABC is bisected by BD. Angle ABD
is 2(x+4) and angle DBC is 5x-7. What is x
and what is angle ABD?
• My class grades have an average of 81.2
with a range of ± 13.5. What is the range?
Continue working on PSAE
Packets (30 mins)
Try to get as far as you can with the PSAE
packets. You will have the opportunity to
finish on Tuesday. They will be collected
as a grade on next Tuesday!!
Examples of Group activity/ Notes
An engineer’s salary is 95,000, and he/she
is trying to purchase a house that is worth
$250,000. They can only get approved if
the monthly mortgage payment and other
expenses are below 40% of their yearly
salary. The terms on the mortgage is a 5%
fixed interest rate for 30 years.
1. What is 40% of their annual salary?
What is their monthly expense for
housing? Hint: Divide by 12 months
2. Calculate how much the mortgage will be
each month with principal and interest.
Hint: Mortgage amt * 0.54%
1. Add the mortgage payment to their other
expenses each month. Are these
expenses combined lower than 40% of
their annual salary?
2. Can they afford this house?
Group Activity (35 mins)
1. Professions will be assigned at random.
2. Each profession will select 3 homes. 1 house
below 100k, 1 house 100k-200k, and 1 house
3. Using the example we did as a class,
determine if you are able to afford this house
based on your annual salary.
REMEMBER, your monthly expenses must be
40% or less to afford your home!!
• Profession $38,340 - $48,397
Credit Cards $250
Cell Phone $50
• Profession $51,292 - $55,205
Credit Cards $400
Cell Phone $100
• Profession $77,439 - $93,592
Credit Cards $1000
Cell Phone $150