Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out



The District pays for Workers’ Compensation benefits as we are self-insured. The ASU Group, third party administrator for
the District’s Workers’ Compensation Program, handles administration of the First Reports of Injury. The ASU Group will
send a claim acknowledgement to the employee. For all claims submitted, a three-point contact (employee, physician, and
supervisor) will be made by The ASU Group to determine if the injury is work related, and they will report the injury to the
State of Minnesota, as appropriate. The ASU Group may be reached at 952-835-3626.
A. Workers’ Compensation Pays For
    1.   Medical Benefits – Reasonable and necessary medical treatment related to the work injury, mileage and out-of-
         pocket expenses, and medical appliances such as broken glasses due to a work injury. Records for all itemized bills
         must be submitted to The ASU Group for payment; payment is made according to the Workers’ Compensation Fee
         Schedule. Authorization for treatment or change of physicians should be directed to The ASU Group. The ASU
         Group retains the right to have an employee evaluated by a physician or their choice, as an independent medical
         examination (IME).
    2.   Disability Benefits - Disability is deemed to begin on the first calendar day or fraction of a calendar day that the
         employee is unable to work. By law, no wage loss benefits are paid for the first three (3) calendar days after the
         disability begins. If the disability continues, even if intermittently, for ten (10) calendar days or longer, the
         compensation is owed from the first day the employee was unable to work.
    3.   Benefits for permanent damage or loss of function of a body part.
    4.   Benefits to your spouse and/or dependents if you die of a work injury.
    5.   Rehabilitation Benefits – The employee may be eligible for Vocational rehabilitation services if the employee needs
         help returning to work because of the employee’s injury and the District is unable to offer the employee suitable,
         gainful employment within the employee’s work restrictions.
         The employee may request vocational rehabilitation at any time, in writing, from The ASU Group. The ASU Group
         will then refer the employee for a rehabilitation consultation or request that vocational rehabilitation services be
         waived. Vocational rehabilitation services are planned by the employee, the District, The ASU Group, and a
         qualified rehabilitation consultant (QRC). These services are: modifying job duties to fit abilities, finding work with
         a different employer if the employer does not have suitable work available, and training for a new job.
B. How Workers’ Compensation Benefits Are Paid
    1.   State law sets the benefit levels. Pursuant to statute, the insurer can obtain medication information specific to
         your work injury without your authorization.
    2.   Medical leaves and Workers’ Compensation leaves may or may not qualify under the Family and Medical
         Leave Act (FMLA). Any leave that qualifies under the FMLA will be run concurrent with other leaves
         provided by the District; in other words, the FMLA-qualifying period will begin when the medical or
         Workers’ Compensation leave begins.
    3.   If the insurer accepts your claim for wage loss benefits and you have been disabled for more than three
         calendar days:
         a. The insurer will send you a copy of the Notice of Insurer’s Primary Liability Determination form stating your
              claim is accepted.
         b. The insurer must start paying wage-loss benefits within 14 days of the date your employer knows about your
              work injury and lost wages. The insurer must pay benefits on time. Wage-loss benefits are paid at the same
              intervals as your work paychecks.
    4.   If the insurer denies your claim for wage loss:
         a. The insurer will send you a copy of the Notice of Insurer’s Primary Liability Determination form stating it is
              denying primary liability for your claim. The form must clearly explain the facts and reasons why the insurer
              believes your injury or illness did not result from your work.
         b. If you disagree with the denial, you should talk with the insurance claims adjuster who is handling your claim.
              Your employer’s insurance company can answer most questions about your claim.
         c. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the insurer and still disagree with the denial, you
              should contact the Department of Labor and Industry at one of the numbers listed below to see what to do next.
C. Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Workers’ Compensation Hotline
      If you have other questions or need help, call the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Workers’
        Compensation Hotline:
         Twin Cities and Southern Minnesota:                651-284-5005 or 1-800-342-5354; TTY 651-297-4198
         Duluth and Northern Minnesota:                     218-723-4670 or 1-800-365-4584
     Your call will be answered by experienced workers’ compensation specialists, who will provide instant,
       accurate information and assistance. Additional workers’ compensation information is available on the
       department’s web site at:
     Your employer is required by law to give you this information. This material can be made available in
       different formats, such as large print, Braille, or on audiotape, by calling the numbers listed above.

To top