Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

for people on Temporary Protection Visas



facts& services
for people on
DIMIA        Department of Immigration Multicultural and Indigenous
             Affairs. DIMIA assesses visa applications and makes a
             decision on whether to grant you a visa
RRT          Refugee Review Tribunal. RRT is independent of DIMIA.
             RRT assesses your claims again. RRT looks at all the facts
             again and makes a decision on whether you should be
             granted a visa.
Minister     The Minister for Immigration Multicultural and
             Indigenous Affairs. The Minister may look at your case
             again and decide whether to grant a visa on
             humanitarian grounds.
Federal Court The Federal Court of Australia may consider whether the
              RRT made a legal mistake when assessing your claims.
High Court   The High Court of Australia also considers whether the
             RRT made a legal mistake when assessing your claims.
TPV          Temporary Protection Visa.
PPV          Permanent Protection Visa.

All information contained in this guide is correct at April 2003.
While every effort has been made to ensure that the information in this
guide is free from error and/or omissions, the law is complex and constantly
changing. We advise readers to seek advice from a registered migration
agent when faced with specific problems.

        If you have any questions about the content of the

?       facts guide, contact : Refugee Advice Casework
        Service (RACS) on (02) 9211 4001.

        RACS can recommend Migration Agents who
        specialise in refugee law.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: FACTS GUIDE                                                  PAGE       PAGE

       Definitions of terms used in this guide                                 opposite
A.     Introduction                                                                4
B.     On-Shore Protection Visas                                                   5
C.     What is a Temporary Protection Visa (Class XA Subclass 785)?                5
D.     What are the terms of a Temporary Protection Visa?                          6
E.     Making an application for further protection                                7
F.     What happens when you lodge your application with DIMIA?                    8
G.     What DIMIA considers when assessing your application for further protection 9
H.     What type of visa will a TPV holder be granted?                             9
I.     The 7 Day rule                                                              10
J.     DIMIA decision making process                                               10
K.     If DIMIA rejects your application                                           11
L.     The review process at the Refugee Review Tribunal                           11
M.     If you are refused by the RRT                                               13
N.     What if my TPV is due to expire ?                                           14
O.     Repatriation package                                                        14

WHO CAN HELP : SERVICES GUIDE                                                  PAGE

Legal services                                                                   16
Health services                                                                  20
Welfare services                                                                 24
Employment services                                                              30
General Support                                                                  32
Accommodation assistance                                                         36
Emergency accommodation                                                          38
Tenancy advice & information                                                     39
Youth services                                                                   41
Women’s services                                                                 42
English and education                                                            43
Support groups                                                                   49
About this publication                                                           51
    Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS

    A. Introduction
       This guide provides information on
       the rights and obligations of Temporary
       Protection Visa holders. This guide is
       not a substitute for legal advice. It should
       not be used to provide Immigration law
       advice. Australian immigration and
       refugee law is very complicated. It is
       illegal for a person who is not registered
       as a Migration Agent to provide
       immigration advice.

       We encourage you to obtain immigration
       advice about your situation from a
       registered Migration Agent.

       Information about services available in
       New South Wales is in the Who Can Help
       section at the end of this guide.
                      Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
B. On-Shore Protection Visas
   Australia has two types of protection visas for refugees who apply for
   asylum in Australia:
   I         the Permanent Protection Visa (subclass 866); and
   I         the Temporary Protection Visa (subclass 785).

C. What is a Temporary Protection Visa ?
(Class XA Subclass 785)
   A Temporary Protection Visa (TPV) is a visa that is granted to people who
   applied for a Permanent Protection Visa (PPV) after 20 October 1999,
   were recognised as refugees and who entered Australia without a valid visa
   or with a visa that was obtained ‘fraudulently’. The TPV is valid for 36

   General definition of “refugee” according
   to the United Nations Convention:

   “owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons
   of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular
   social group or political opinion, is outside the country of
   his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is
   unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country”

   Temporary Protection Visa holders who want to stay in Australia after the
   36 month period, must apply for another protection visa before their TPV
   expires. You may make a new application for a PPV at any time after
   receiving your TPV.
    Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
    D. The terms of a Temporary Protection Visa
    You Need To Know:
       I The only other visa type you can apply for is a Protection Visa (Class
         XA), unless the Minister gives you special permission to apply for
         another type of visa.
       I You can be assessed for a PPV after 30 months, if you have applied
         for a PPV and if the ‘7 day rule’ does not apply (see paragraph I,
         page 6 for an explanation of 7 day rule).
       I If you leave Australia to go overseas, you cannot return;
       I You cannot apply to sponsor family members to come to Australia;
       I You cannot apply for on-arrival accommodation or rental bond
       I You cannot apply for free English lessons from the government;
    What are your Rights?
       I You have the right to work;
       I You can apply for some social security benefits from the government,
         including Special Benefit, Rent Assistance, Maternity & Family
         Allowance, Family Tax Payment;
       I You have access to basic employment assistance programs;
       I You are eligible for Medicare;
       I You are eligible for torture and trauma counselling;
       I You can study at a tertiary institution, but must pay full up-front
         fees. However, some universities offer fee waivers and scholarships on
         a case by case basis. To find out more, send an email to
         An advocate who works in the Higher Education sector can then
         advise you on current options.
       I You must notify DIMIA of any change of your address. You can do
         this by completing a Form 929 available from DIMIA . You should
         keep a copy of the form that you lodge with DIMIA the date that
         you sent it. If you do not notify DIMIA of your change of address
         they will not be able to contact you, and you may miss out on
         important information about your application.
                      Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
E. Making an application for further protection
  If you don’t have a copy of all the documents relating to your
  application, you can apply for your DIMIA file by making a Freedom of
  Information (FOI) request. The FOI request is free. You do this by
  completing Form 424 available from DIMIA. You should ask for any
  documents held by DIMIA relating to you, including:
  I forms lodged by you
  I any decisions made about you by DIMIA
  I any material which DIMIA has obtained about you since you were
      granted your first TPV.
  These documents will help you and your Migration Agent lodge a valid
  application for further protection.
  If you want to stay in Australia you will need to make an application for
  a further protection visa. If you do not make an application for a further
  protection visa, your visa will expire on the expiry date indicated in your
  visa. This means that you will not have a legal right to stay in Australia.
To make an application for a further protection visa
you need to :
  I complete Form 866 again, which is an application for a Class XA
      subclass 866 visa;
  I prepare your statement;
  I pay the $30 visa application charge.
  You can make this new application after being granted your TPV. Your
  TPV will expire after 36 months. If you do not apply for your PPV before
  the expiry date, you will not have a legal right to stay in Australia. This
  application will be processed by DIMIA after 30 months after the grant of
  your temporary protection visa, unless the Minister agrees to process your
  application earlier. When you lodge your application you will be given a
  receipt by DIMIA, which you should keep. It is very important that you
  get a receipt from DIMIA when you lodge your application, and you
  should keep this receipt safe.
What you need to say in your application;
  It is very important to give DIMIA detailed information about why you
  still need Australia’s protection. You should also include information
  relating to your family’s circumstances in your country of origin. It is very
    Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
       important to get detailed information about the country you have fled and
       why you need further protection. You can provide some general
       information about the circumstances you are fleeing from, but it is
       important that you provide a detailed statement about your particular
       circumstances. We recommend that you contact a Migration Agent to
       assist you with making your application.
       If you lodged your application for further protection after 27 September
       2001 and you stayed in another country (other than the country you are
       fleeing) for more than 7 days on your way to Australia, you should provide
       a detailed statement about why you did not seek protection in that country
       (see paragraph I., page 10 for a detailed explanation of the 7 day rule).

    F. What happens when you lodge your
       application with DIMIA?
       When you lodge your application with DIMIA, you will receive a letter
       confirming that it was received. It is up to you to make sure that DIMIA
       has received your application.
    What you need to do close to the 30 month date
       Close to the end of the 30 month period, when DIMIA is preparing to
       consider your application for further protection, you should be ready to
       submit any new information relating to your case. This may include;
       I     that circumstances which made you a refugee have not changed;
       I     changes in family membership;
       I     changes in circumstances in your home country which are
       I     problems faced by family members or friends in your home
             country since you left;
       You may be given an interview with a DIMIA official to assess your
                      Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
G. What DIMIA considers when assessing your
   application for further protection
  DIMIA will look at whether you are still a refugee under Australian law. It
  will look at any changes in your home country to see if you still have a
  genuine fear of returning there. If DIMIA decides you are still a refugee, it
  will then decide what type of visa to give you. You may be eligible to
  receive a Permanent Protection Visa (subclass 866) or another Temporary
  Protection Visa (subclass 785).
  You are allowed to submit new information to the Department up to the
  date of the decision, even after an interview.

H. What type of visa will a TPV holder
   be granted?
   If DIMIA decides you are still a refugee, it will then decide what type of
  visa to give you.
  A TPV holder can only be granted a Class XA visa unless granted
  permission to apply for another type of visa. The class XA visa includes a
  subclass 785 visa (Temporary Protection Visa) or a subclass 866 visa
  (Permanent Protection Visa). The visa type will depend on the date that
  the Protection Visa application was lodged with DIMIA (see paragraph I.
  on page 10 for a detailed explanation).
  If you made your application for further protection before 27 September 2001,
  you can obtain a Permanent Protection Visa.
  If you made your application for further protection after 27 September 2001
  it depends on whether the 7 day rule applies.
     Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
     I. The 7 Day rule
       The 7 Day rule only applies if you make an application for further
       protection after 27 September 2001.
     If you made your application after 27 September 2001:
       If you stayed in another country for more than 7 days on your way to
       Australia, and you could have obtained the protection of that country or
       obtained protection from the United Nations High Commissioner for
       Refugees (UNHCR) in that country, then the 7 Day rule applies to you. If
       the 7 day rule applies to you, you can only receive a TPV (subclass 785).
       The Minister has the power to waive this condition and allow you to apply
       for a Permanent Protection Visa.
       If you did stay in another country for more than 7 days and you can prove
       that you could not get the protection of that country or protection of the
       UNHCR in that country, you may be able to obtain a subclass 866 visa
       (Permanent Protection Visa). You should write a detailed statement about
       why you were not able to contact the UNHCR office or seek protection
       from the country you stayed in. Remember that the information you give
       must agree with the information provided in your other applications. There
       may be other exceptions to this law, so you should consult a Migration
       Agent to determine how this law applies to you.

     J. DIMIA decision making process
       DIMIA is under no legal obligation to give you an interview. The DIMIA
       officer may make a decision on your application without an interview.
       The law requires DIMIA to provide you with any information that is
       personal to you (other than non-disclosable information) which may be
       used to refuse your application. DIMIA must give you an opportunity to
       respond to this information.
       If you are called for an interview with DIMIA you should be prepared to
       answer questions about information you have provided in your application.
       The interview will be conducted by a DIMIA officer and you will be
       provided with an interpreter if necessary. If you have a legal adviser he/she
       may be present during the interview, unless the DIMIA officer states
       otherwise.This interview provides you with a good opportunity to explain
       the claims you have made in your application. Your interview will be taped,
       but you will not be provided with a copy of the tape.
                       Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
  You are allowed to submit new information to DIMIA up to the date of
  the decision, even after the initial interview. It is best to do this in writing.
  Your DIMIA officer will send you his/her decision through the post.
  He/she may post a copy to your legal adviser at the same time.
  You will be required to pass a character test and to have a health check
  before your visa is granted. To pass the character test you must be of good
  character, this means that you must not be involved in any criminal activity
  in Australia or be a risk to Australian national security, and you must not
  owe any debts to the Commonwealth. If you fail the character test you will
  not be eligible for a protection visa without the Minister’s intervention. The
  result of the health check has no bearing on your visa.

K. If DIMIA rejects your application
  Get advice from a Migration Agent as soon as possible. You can apply for
  review of the decision to the Refugee Review Tribunal. Time limits for
  review are very strict and you cannot get extensions under any
  circumstances. Consult one of the organisations listed in the ‘Who can
  help’ section at the end of this guide for further advice.

L. The review process at the
   Refugee Review Tribunal
  You must apply to the Refugee Review Tribunal (RRT) within 28 days of
  notice of the DIMIA decision (you have 7 days to apply if you are in
  Immigration Detention);
  You may wish to check the website of the RRT:
  Send any new information you wish to rely upon to the RRT and complete
  a detailed submission about your claim for protection. You should make
  sure that the claims you are submitting to the RRT are consistent with the
  information you have provided in your application to DIMIA, or be able
  to provide explanations about any inconsistencies. Consult a Migration
  Agent before making this application.
  The RRT review is a ‘full merits’ review. This means that the RRT Member
  will look at your claims again. The RRT is a second chance for you to
  explain your reasons for needing Australia’s protection.
  The RRT may decide to grant you a visa based on the application you
  submit. If the RRT is unable to do so, you will be invited to the RRT for
     Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
        a hearing. If you do not attend the hearing, your application will generally
        be refused.
        It is very important that you carefully read any letters you receive from the
        Tribunal and answer them when necessary.
     At the RRT – What happens?
        The RRT hearing gives you a chance to submit new information and to
        provide details about your claims. The hearing is conducted by an RRT
        Member who will make the decision on your case. You will be provided
        with an interpreter if necessary and your legal adviser may be present,
        unless the Member states otherwise. The Member will ask you questions
        about the claims you have made in your application. You should be
        prepared to answer specific questions about information you have
        provided to DIMIA and to the Tribunal. This hearing is informal. It gives
        you the opportunity to explain your claims and to give the Member the
        chance to understand the information you have provided.
        The RRT hearing will be recorded, you may keep a copy of the hearing
        You may submit new information to the RRT after the hearing, as long as
        it gets there before the decision is made.
        You are not likely to receive a decision on the same day as the hearing.
     The RRT Decision
        The RRT will write to you and invite you to the RRT to receive your
        decision in person. If you do not go to this ‘handing down’, the decision
        will be posted to you.
        The RRT can only make a decision on whether you fit the definition of a
        refugee as set out by the United Nations Convention on Refugees. If the
        RRT decides that you fit this definition it will ask DIMIA to grant you a
        protection visa.
        If DIMIA agrees, then you will be required to pass a character test and to
        have a health check before your visa is granted. If you fail the character test
        you will not be eligible for a protection visa without the Minister’s
        intervention. The result of the health check has no bearing on your visa.
        If DIMIA disagrees with the RRT, it will appeal to the Federal Court of
        Australia to review the decision.
                      Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
M. If you are refused by the RRT
  If you are unsuccessful at the RRT you may have other appeal options and
  you should seek further advice immediately. Please contact one of the
  organisations listed in the ‘Who can help’ section at the end of this guide.
(i) Judicial Review
  If the RRT refuses your application, you may be able to seek review of that
  decision in the Federal Court or the High Court. This review is referred to
  as ‘judicial review’. Unlike the RRT hearing Judicial Review will not
  involve reconsideration of your claims for asylum. Judicial Review will
  only look at narrow legal aspects. You must consult a solicitor if you want
  to explore these options.
  If you appeal to the Federal Court, you must do so within 28 days of the
  If you want to appeal to the High Court, we recommend that you do this
  as soon as possible. There may be time restrictions applicable to this form
  of judicial review.
  If the court accepts your appeal, your case will go back to the RRT for
  another hearing.
(ii) Write to the Minister
  If your application is rejected by the RRT or the court, you have the right
  to write to the Minister for Immigration to ask him to exercise his personal
  discretion to grant you a visa or to allow you to submit a new application.
  There is no time limit. However, a delay in making this application may
  have implications for your Bridging visa.
  The Minister has the power under s.417 of the Migration Act to grant you
  a visa if he thinks there are humanitarian grounds to do so. The Minister
  will be influenced by Australia’s obligations under international treaties
  and the welfare of Australian Citizens. The Minister has set out specific
  guidelines under which he will consider exercising his power. You should
  see a Migration Agent and get a copy of the Ministerial Guidelines before
  writing to the Minister.
  The Minister may also decide to allow you to make a new application. This
  will happen if the circumstances upon which your original application was
  based have changed.
     Know your rights guide TEMPORARY PROTECTION VISAS
     N. What if my TPV is due to expire ?
        Temporary Protection Visas are valid for 36 months. During the 36
        months, the holder of a TPV has the right to work and access to some
        social security benefits and Medicare in Australia. (details in Who Can Help
        If you have applied for a further protection visa and are still waiting for a
        final decision to be made on this application, your TPV will be extended
        beyond the 36 month period. This means that you are able to work and
        have the same rights and responsibilities as you did during the 36 month
     Protection Visa XC
        You will be automatically given an XC visa if you are a TPV holder who
        was granted your TPV before 19 September 2001 and have lodged an
        application for a PPV. It is an interim subclass 785 visa which is valid until
        a decision is made on your PPV application. An XC visa gives you the
        same rights and responsibilities as a TPV. You don’t have to do anything to
        receive the XC visa, it will be automatically granted when your TPV
        expires. DIMIA will inform you when the XC visa has been granted and
        you may ask for evidence of this if you wish.

     O. Repatriation package
        You may receive a letter from DIMIA offering you money to return to your
        country of origin. This is voluntary. You do not have to return. If you do
        not wish to accept this offer you do not have to take any action.
     What if my TPV is Cancelled?
        If DIMIA thinks that you gave them incorrect information on your
        original visa application they may cancel your visa.
        They will first send you a letter informing you of their intention to cancel
        your visa and asking you to respond. If you receive this letter, contact a
        solicitor immediately.
        This is another reason to make sure that DIMIA always has your current
        residential and postal address. If DIMIA is unable to contact you, they
        may cancel your visa without you knowing.

who can
services guide for people on
Temporary Protection Visas
in New South Wales
     who can
                    Legal services
     Refugee Advice and Casework
     Service (RACS)
     Address:    Suite 8C 46-56 Kippax St, Surry Hills 2010
     Phone:      9211 4001
     Fax:        9281 8078
     Hours:      9:00am-5:00pm
        A community legal service providing free and confidential high quality
        legal advice and casework for people applying for a Protection Visa (refugee
        I       Referrals for counselling and assistance for accommodation,
                Medicare, employment, torture and trauma counselling and language
        I       Training sessions on refugee law, policy and procedures for
                organisations and individuals assisting asylum seekers;
        I       An evening advice service on Mondays, staffed by full-time and
                volunteer caseworkers, operating from 5.30pm to 8.00pm. The
                service is by prior appointment only;
        I       A telephone advice service;
        I       Use of free telephone interpreting services when required;
        I       referrals to other agencies or lawyers where appropriate
        I       Assistance to complete protection visa application forms (Form 866)
        I       Assistance to TPV holders who have lodged their 866 forms in
                drafting an additional statement to DIMIA outlining reasons why
                they are still in need of Australia’s protection
        I       Provides TPV holders who have lodged their 866 forms with a
                submission outlining the situation in their country of origin, and why
                it warrants Australia’s protection as a signatory to the 1951 UN
       Legal services                                                              17

Legal Aid Commission
Address: 323 Castlereagh Street, Haymarket NSW 2000
Phone: 9219 5000         1800 10 18 10 (for people under 18 years old)
         1300 888 529 (this referral service will connect clients with their
         closest community legal centre)
Fax:     9219 5935
   This service may provide legal representation to TPV holders prior to
   lodgment for permanent residency. Once this has been lodged, Legal Aid
   can only provide advice but cannot represent clients. Applying for legal aid
   means that you are asking the Legal Aid Commission to organise a lawyer
   to represent you in court. Legal Aid is not free and most people will have
   to pay a contribution, although the amount depends on your financial
   situation and the area of law. Telephone legal advice is free to everyone at
   various legal aid offices listed below. Interpreters will be provided FREE of
   charge if required.

Legal Aid Commission Offices
Bankstown Legal Aid Office
Address: Level 4, Civic Tower Cnr Rickard Rd & Jacobs St. Bankstown NSW 2200
Phone: 9707 4555                    Fax:    9708 6505
Blacktown Legal Aid Office
Address: Level 3, 85 Fushcombe Street, Blacktown NSW 2148
Phone: 9621 4800                  Fax:     9831 5597
Campbelltown Legal Aid Office & Community Legal Centre
Address: Suite 1, Level 4, 171-179 Queen Street, Campbelltown NSW 2560
Phone: 4628 2922                   Fax:     4628 1192
Fairfield Legal Aid Office
Address: Level 2, Fairfield Chase, 25 Smart Street, Fairfield NSW 2165
Phone: 9727 3777                    Fax:     9724 7605
Liverpool Legal Aid Office & Community Legal Centre
Address: Interdell Centre, Ground Floor, 45-47 Scott Street, Liverpool NSW 2170
Phone: 9601 1200                    Fax:     9601 2249
Parrramatta Legal Aid Office
Address: Level 5, 91 Phillip Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
Phone: 9891 1600                     Fax:     9689 1082
           Legal services
     Women’s Legal Resources Centre
     Phone: 9749 5533
     Address: Po Box 206 Lidcombe NSW 1825
     Hours:   9:30am-12:30pm Monday-Friday,
              and 1:30pm-4:30pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
        This service provides FREE legal advice about family law and other legal
        problems affecting women

     Domestic Violence Advocacy Service
     Phone:     9637 3741
     Fax:       9682 3844
     Address:   PO Box H154 Harris Park NSW 2150
     Hours:     9:30am-5:00pm           Phone advice: Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri from
                                        9:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm.
        This service provides FREE legal advice for women living in violent
        relationships. The phone advice line is available

     Macarthur Legal Centre
     Address:   4 Broughton Street, Campbelltown NSW 2560
     Phone:     4628 2042
     Fax:       4628 0771
     Hours:     Tuesday – Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
        This organisation provides free telephone general legal advice and ongoing
        assistance to people on low incomes who live in the Macarthur area.
     The telephone advice line is open: Tuesday 6:00pm-8:00pm
                                        Thursday 2:30pm-5:00pm

     South West Sydney Legal Centre
     Address: PO Box 1042, Liverpool NSW 1871
     Phone: 9601 7777
     Fax:     9601 7400
        Provides free legal advice and assistance to people who live in the Liverpool,
        Bankstown or Fairfield local government areas.
      Legal services
Please note: The Immigration Advice and Rights Centre does NOT
assist TPV holders, but can assist once you have permanent residency.

 Immigration Advice and
 Rights Centre
 Address: Level 4, 414-418 Elizabeth Street Surry Hills NSW 2010
 Phone: 9281 8355 (advice line) or 9281 1609 (general)
 Fax:     9281 1638
    IARC does NOT assist TPV holders. This service provides FREE
    information, advice and assistance with immigration matters (other
    than applications for refugee status). IARC can only assist you once
    you have permanent residency with matters like family reunion. You
    can also obtain a list of ‘recommended’ Migration Agents (please note:
    they do charge for their services) who assist with refugee and protection
    visa applications.
    Telephone advisory line is open Tuesday and Thursday from 2pm to
    4pm, OR You can see someone in person between 6pm and 9pm at the
    following times and places (no appointment is necessary):
 Monday: Immigration Advice and Rights Centre. Address: Level 4, 414-418
 Elizabeth Street Surry Hills
 Wednesday: Parramatta Migrant Resource Centre. Address: Level 6, Macquarie
 House, 169 Macquarie Street, Parramatta NSW 2150

Community Legal Centres
in your area:
Combined Community Legal Centres Group 9318 2355
Legal Aid Commission 1300 888 529
     who can
                 Health services
     People who have a Temporary Protection Visa are
     eligible for the following Government health services:

     I Medicare Card:
        This entitles the holder to free (if bulk-billed) or 85% subsidised visits to
        Doctors (General Practitioners), free treatment at public hospitals, and
        partial to full payment for x-rays, blood tests, and listed services at
        specialists, optometrists, dentists and other health providers.

     I Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme:
        People who have a Medicare card are also eligible for subsidized
        prescription medicines.

     I Health Care Card:
        This card is available to people receiving Special Benefit, the maximum rate
        of Family Tax Benefit Part A, or people who are on a low income. The
        holder is entitled to further concessions on prescription medicines, free
        ambulance services and free treatment at Public Dental Clinics, provided
        on a priority need basis.

     I Health Care Interpreter Service:
        Free interpreting services and translations of up to 50 words are provided
        for public health care services.
      Health services
The NSW Service for the Treatment
and Rehabilitation of Torture and
Trauma Survivors (STARTTS)
Address: 152-168 The Horsley Drive, Carramar NSW 2163
Phone:    9794 1900
Fax:      9794 1910
Address: 44-50 Auburn Rd, Auburn NSW 2144
Phone:    9646 6666
Fax:      9646 6610
Outreach services: Liverpool, Blacktown, Canterbury, Rockdale, Wollongong,
                   Parramatta, Campsie, Northern Beaches, Macarthur,
                   Newcastle, City and Eastwood.
   STARTTS provides FREE counselling for survivors of torture or war
   related trauma in the context of organized violence. Services include
   individual counselling, therapeutic and support group programs, youth
   program, employment program, psychiatric consultation and
   physiotherapy and body work.
   The Early Intervention program (EIP) is designed to assess the needs of
   refugees soon after arrival in Australia. People should be referred for
   assessment as soon as possible after their arrival (or release from detention).
   An EIP assessment may take several sessions and focuses on the needs of
   the clients and their family to do with: physical health, psychological and
   emotional health, and where appropriate ensuring that settlement needs
   have been met. The EIP does not have a waiting list.
   All counsellors work with families, however the EIP also employs a
   specialist counselor who works specifically with children and adolescents,
   developing links with children and youth services
   Interpreters: The program employs staff fluent in various community
   languages. Where other languages are needed, interpreters are organised at
   no cost to the client.
            Health services
     Immigrant Women’s Health Service
     Address:   McBurney Rd, (behind PCYC Building), Cabramatta NSW 2166
     Phone:     9726 1016
     Fax:       9728 7312
     Address:   92 Smart Street, Fairfield NSW 2165
     Phone:     9726 4044
        This service provides women’s health education programs, support groups,
        referral services, exercise and relaxation classes, health clinics, legal advice.

     NSW Refugee Health Service
     Address:   Suite 5, Level 2, 157-161 George St, Liverpool NSW 2170
     Time:      Wednesdays 1:30- 4:30
     Phone:     8788 0770
     Fax:       8778 0790
     The Refugee Health service can be contacted regarding:
        I General information about refugee health and related matters
        I Advice on specific cases
        I Resources for students, health professionals and others
        I Training for health care workers on refugee health issues
        I Group information sessions for refugees about the NSW health system
        I Clinical assessments for newly arrived refugees or for asylum seekers
          (Services are FREE)
     Location: Auburn Community Health Centre
     Address: 9 Northumberland Rd, Auburn NSW 2144
     Time:       Mondays 9:30-12:30
     Phone: 9646 2233
     Fax:        9749 1749
     There is also the Auburn Refugee Child and Youth Clinic run at Auburn
     Community Health Centre every second Monday 2:00- 5:00pm
         Health services
Transcultural Mental Health Centre
Address: Clinical Services Figtree Cottage, Cumberland Hospital 5 Fleet Street, North
         Parramatta Mail Address: Locked Bag 7118 Parramatta BC NSW 2150
Phone: (02) 9840 3899
Fax:       (02) 9840 4180
   The aim of the clinical services is to assist mental health and related service
   providers to work more effectively with their culturally diverse clients and
   to assist people of various cultural backgrounds to access mainstream
Two main clinical services are provided:
   I Clinical Consultation and representation by bilingual workers
   I Telephone Consultations and representation about clinical issues (e.g.
     clients who need support with linking to community services or with
     bilingual health/ mental health professionals)

Ethnic Obstetric Liaison Program
Hours:     8:00am-4:30pm (Monday-Friday)
Phone:     9616 8217 (Vietnamese and Khmer),
           9828 6620 (Arabic),
           9828 6224 (Laotian)
   This service is part of South Western Sydney Area Health Service and is
   available to women receiving care at the maternity units of Bankstown,
   Fairfield and Liverpool hospitals. The Ethnic Obstetric Liaison Program
   provides antenatal and postnatal information, education and support and
   acts as a bridge between maternity services and women of non-English
   speaking backgrounds.
     who can
                Welfare services
     Phone:    131202 (Multi-lingual); 131021 (Appointments)
     Hours:    8am–5pm Monday-Friday except public holidays
     Centrelink is the Federal Government agency which
     delivers social services, programs and payments. There are
     offices in several suburbs throughout Sydney. Phone for
     details of the nearest location.
     TPV holders are eligible for the following payments or

     I Special Benefit:
        This payment is for people who are not entitled to any other social security
        payment (excluding Family Tax Benefit and some supplementary
        payments) and who are unable to earn enough to live on. It is a
        discretionary payment and Centrelink will decide whether the person is in
        financial hardship. The payment is stringently means-tested and reviewed
        every 13 weeks.

     I Rent Assistance:
        People who receive an allowance or benefit, or more than the base rate of
        Family Tax Benefit are eligible for money towards private rental costs.

     I Double Orphan Pension:
        Payment (base rate $ 42.80 per fortnight) for the guardian or approved care
        organization towards the cost of bringing up a child or student to age 18
        whose parents are both dead, living outside Australia, uncontactable or a
        long-term prisoner.
    Welfare services
I Family Tax Benefit:
 Help with the cost of raising children up to the age of 20 or students to the
 age of 24. Can be claimed as a regular payment or lump sum through tax.
 Part A is calculated on combined family income and Part B is available to
 single income families. Temporary Protection Visa holders can only receive
 Family Tax Benefit if they are eligible for Special Benefit.

I Maternity Allowance:
 A one-off payment of $780 made at the time of birth. You must be eligible
 for Family Tax Benefit.

I Maternity Immunisation Allowance:
 One-off payment of $208 made for a child at 19 months, provided
 immunizations are up-to-date. The parent(s) must be receiving Family Tax
 Benefit and Maternity Allowance must have been paid to the child.

I Energy Accounts Payment
  Assistance (EAPA):
 Vouchers (value $30) are available to financially disadvantaged people who
 experience a crisis and have trouble paying their electricity bill.
 Participating charities assess eligibility based on case-by-case need.
           Welfare services
     St Vincent de Paul
     This agency provides emergency financial assistance,
     assistance with crisis accommodation and provision of
     essential food and clothing. Services are available at the
     following locations:
     St Vincent de Paul Migrant Refugee Services & Emergency Assistance
     Address: Corner of West & Thomas Street, Lewisham NSW 2049
     Phone:     9560 8666
     Fax:       9550 9383
     Services provided include specialised support and assistance.

     Parramatta Office (Phone for appointment)
     Address: 8 Victoria Road, Parramatta NSW 2150
     Phone: 9683 2122
     Lidcombe Office
     Address: 5 Church St Lidcombe NSW 2141
     Phone: 9649 9902
     Fax:     9649 4771
     Liverpool Office
     Address: 102 Bigge Street, Liverpool NSW 2170
     Phone: 9602 3039
     Fax:       9602 7774
     Mount Pritchard Office
     Address: 248 Humphries Road, Mount Pritchard NSW 2170
     Phone: 9823 1222
     Fax:      9823 6206

     Smith Family
     City Office
     Phone:      9550 4422
     Liverpool Office
     Phone:     9821 1977
        The Smith family may provide material assistance including clothing and
        furniture. Documentation is needed to demonstrate that you are a refugee.
       Welfare services
Salvation Army
Services include emergency financial assistance, emergency
services, EAPA vouchers and counselling. Referrals are to
be made by phone or letter. MAY assist with food, rent,
telephone (Dependent on needs assessment and
resources). There are offices at the following locations:
Central:       9264 1711
Address:       140 Elizabeth Street Sydney NSW 2000
Auburn:        9749 7150
Bankstown: 9790 7665
Hours:     9:30am-12:00pm (Monday-Thursday)
Liverpool:     9601 2813
Parramatta:    9891 4526
Fax:           9891 6089
Address:       34 Smith St, Parramatta NSW 2150
Hours:         9:00am-2:00pm (Monday-Thursday) 9:00am-11:30am (Friday)

Holroyd Community Aid &
Information Service
Address:      17 Miller Street, Merrylands NSW 2160
Phone:        9637 7391
Fax:          9627 5019
Hours:        10:00am-3:00pm (Monday-Friday)
   Will assist with food and medical vouchers, clothes services and
   information and referrals. You should provide evidence of a healthcare
   card, recent bills and receipts.
           Welfare services

     Parramatta Community Service
     Address:   Level 1, Old Council Chambers, Civic Place, Parramatta NSW 2150
     Phone:     9635 3139
     Fax:       9635 1277
     Hours:     9:00am-2:30pm (Monday-Friday)
        Will provide assistance with food and medical vouchers and baby needs.
        You need to provide concession card and recent bills/receipts.

     Telopea Christian Centre
     Address:   16 Shortland Street, Telopea NSW 2117
     Phone:     9638 7955
     Fax:       9638 4906
     Hours:     1:00pm-3:00pm (Monday-Friday, except Thursday)
        Will assist with food vouchers and electricity vouchers in the Parramatta
        region only. You must phone for an appointment.

     Hillsong Emerge
     Address: Shop 1 – 125 Main Street, Blacktown NSW 2148
     Phone: 9679 7900
     Hours:   9:00am-5:00pm
        Can assist with food parcels and vouchers, electricity and water vouchers
        and counselling. You must phone for an appointment.

     Cabramatta Community Centre
     Address: Cnr McBurney Road & Railway Pde, Cabramatta NSW 2166
     Phone: 9727 0477
     Fax:       9728 6080
        This agency can provide EAPA (electricity) vouchers. You must live in the
        Fairfield local government area and provide documentation including your
        passport and Centrelink statements. This service will be provided on Tuesday
        and Friday.
      Welfare services
Welfare Rights Centre
Address: Level 5b, 414 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Phone: 9211 5300 or 1800 226 028
Fax:     9211 5268
   This service provides advice and representation on all social security
   matters. They can help you by advising you of your rights and
   entitlements, and assisting you to appeal against Centrelink decisions that
   you disagree with. Appointments are required for clients who wish to meet
   with staff at the centre. The centre also provides assistance to the
   community through community development, community education and
   training, law reform and lobbying.
Telephone advice is available:
Monday      9:00am-5:00pm
Tuesday     1:00pm-5:00pm
Wednesday   9:00am-1:00pm
Thursday    9:00am-1:00pm
Friday      9:00am- 1:00pm
     TPV Employment
     who can                                                  services

     Mission Australia
     Address:   1st Floor, 119 The Crescent, Fairfield NSW 2165
     Phone:     9725 7577
        Mature Workers Program: Assist those who are over 40 years of age and
        without a case manager and not receiving Intensive Assistance to look for
        work, training or changing jobs. This program can:
        I Help update and type your resume
        I Provide referral and assistance for skilled migrants
        I Help prepare letters of application
        I Provide training in all aspects of jobseeking
        I Investigate courses at TAFE and at private providers
        I Provide fax, photocopying and phone facilities
        I Provide funds for employment related courses ($200)
        I Provide referrals for jobs.

     AMES Employment
     Address:       6-8 Alan Street, Fairfield NSW 2165
     Phone:        9728 3944
     Fax:          9728 3977
     Address:     Level 1, 2 Hughes Street, Cabramatta NSW 2166
     Phone:       9723 3711
     Fax:         9723 3799
        AMES Employment provides Job Matching to TPV holders at all its sites.
        In addition to Job Matching, AMES also delivers a case management
        module, targeted job search and referral to vocational education for TPV
        holders. These additional services are available at the Fairfield office only.
       Employment services
Specialist Migrant Placement Officers
   Specialist Migrant Placement Officers (SMPOs) can help by developing,
   with the client, an employment and training plan including short and long
   term goals, referral to appropriate training providers, assistance with
   employer canvassing, assistance with resumes and applications, networking
   and job search training. There are SMPOs at several organisations
   throughout Sydney. Their contact details are listed below.

NSW Service for the Treatment and           Burwood Community
Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma        Welfare Services
Survivors (STARTTS)                         Address: 45 Belmore St,
Address: 44-50 Auburn Rd,                             Burwood NSW 2134
         Auburn NSW 2144                    Phone:    9744 1866
Phone:     9646 6666                        Fax:      9744 0886
Fairfield Community ResourceCentre          Cabramatta Community Centre
Address: 25 Barbara Street, Fairfield       Address: Cnr Railway Parade &
           NSW 2165                                  McBurney Rd Cabramatta 2166
Phone:     9727 4333                        Phone:   9727 0477
Fax:       9727 4943                        Fax:     9728 6080
Inner West Skills Centre                    Macarthur Migrant Resource Centre
Address: 109 Rawson Street, Auburn          Address: Level 2/101 Queen St
          NSW 2144                                   Campbelltown 2560
Phone:    9649 6470                         Phone:   4627 1188
Fax:      9649 5018                         Fax:     4628 6068
MTC Work Solutions                          Immigrant Women’s Speakout
Address: Suite 1-2 Level 1, 39 Stanley St   Association
         Bankstown NSW 2200                 Address: 42 Station St East, Harris
Phone:   9791 6077                                    Park NSW 2150
Fax:     9791 6477                          Phone:    9635 8022
                                            Fax:      9635 8176
Blacktown Migrant Resource Centre
Address: 125 Main St, Blacktown NSW         Liverpool Migrant Resource Centre
         2148                               Address: Level 4/171 Bigge St, Liverpool
Phone:    9621 6633                                   NSW 2170
Fax:     9831 5625                          Phone:    9601 3788
                                            Fax:      9601 1398
     who can
                 General support
     House of Welcome
     Address:   140 Wattle Ave, Carramar NSW 2163
     Phone:     9727 9290
     Fax:       9724 6101
     Hours:     9:00am-4:00pm (Monday-Friday)

     The House of Welcome assists TPV holders with their
     transition into the community, providing support in these
     key areas:
        I Emergency accommodation: People being released from detention
          centres are provided with accommodation for up to 4 weeks. During
          this time, support is also provided to find permanent accommodation,
          for registration with various government agencies and with the daily
          tasks associated with establishing life in a new country.
        I Shop-front resource/referral centre: This is a place where people can
          drop in for a friendly chat or seek assistance with settlement difficulties
          such as understanding letters.
        I English Classes: Classes have been established in the Fairfield/
          Cabramatta/ Carramar areas in corporation with Friends of STARTTS
          and volunteer teachers.
        I Refugee employment program: This program was established to assist
          TPV holders to find paid work. It offers help with preparation of
          resumes and also makes contact with potential employers.
       General Support
Asylum Seekers Centre
Address:   38 Nobbs Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Phone:     9361 5606
Fax:       9331 6670
Hours:     9:00am-5:00pm (Monday-Thursday)
The asylum seekers centre offers a safe place to gather, a
place of welcome and support. The centre can assist with:
   I English classes
   I Computer classes
   I Health care
   I Legal referrals
   I Job search skills
   I Skills for living in Australia

Granville Multicultural Community
Centre Inc
Address: 8 Factory St.Granville (2 min walk from Clyde station), Granville NSW 2142
Phone: (02) 9637 7600
Fax:     (02) 9637 9446
The agency provides a number of services:
   I The Cottage Pre-school: an education program to prepare children of
     various cultural backgrounds for school.
   I Before and After school care: a low-cost, quality out-of-school hours
     service for children attending infants and primary school
   I Granville Vacation Care: is arranged every school vacation period for
     children aged 5-12 years. The program is has both Centre-based
     recreational and craft activities and excursions
   I Financial counselling: provided by Ryde-Eastwood Financial
     Counselling Service (Ph. 9858 1377)
   I Adolescent Support Worker: works with adolescents (12-18 years) and
     their families, assisting with negotiation, understanding and
           General Support
        I Links to learning: assists students who are attending high school and are
          identified as ‘at risk’ in their transition from school to further education/
        I Youth Worker: is available for young people (12-25 years) to assist with
          support and counselling.
        I Emergency Assistance: assists financially disadvantaged people who are
          having difficulty paying their electricity bills. Appointments necessary.
        I Family Support Worker: provides emotional and practical assistance to
          families with children 0-12 years.
        I Community Welfare: assists people from various cultural backgrounds
          and disadvantaged families through different programs, groupwork,
          casework and workshops on a range of issues.
        I Community Development worker: focuses on developing social cohesion
          within the community.
        I English classes for people on Temporary Protection Visas- see ‘English
          Classes’ section on page 43 for details.

     Australian Arabic Community Council
     Address: 1st Floor, 194 Stacey St, Bankstown NSW 2200
     Phone: (02) 9709 4333
     Fax:     (02) 9709 2928
        This agency can assist with general information and referral and some

     Hazaristan Cultural Welfare
     Address: PO Box 84, Auburn NSW 1835
       General Support
Australian Hazara Association
  Sydney-based Hazara organization with a number of activities including
  advocacy, recreation and cultural activities and English classes.

Australian Red Cross
Tracing Agency and Refugee Service
Address: 159 Clarence St, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: 9229 4143
   This is a FREE service for asylum seekers and refugees who have lost
   contact with family members due to war, internal conflict or natural
   disaster. The Tracing Service uses the international Red Cross network to
   help people locate and contact family overseas or in Australia. Red Cross
   can also help by providing Attestation Certificates where someone was
   imprisoned overseas and was visited by the Red Cross– this can be useful
   for some refugees to prove their whereabouts at a certain time.

Coalition for Justice for Refugees
Address: C/- Edmund Rice Centre for Justice and Community Education,
         90 Underwood Rd, Homebush 2140
Phone: 02 9764 1330 Mobile: 0401 396 460
Fax:     02 9764 1743
   I     Advocacy group
   I     Community education
   I     Assistance with furniture and other household items by request
   I     Food provision and accommodation
     who can
     Department of Housing
     South Western Sydney Regional Office
     Address: Level 8, 23-31 Moore Street Liverpool NSW 2170
     Phone: 9821 6111
     Fairfield Office
     Address: 3 Hamilton Road, Fairfield NSW 2165
     Phone: 9754 6800
     Fax:       9754 6811
     Liverpool Office
     Address: Ground Floor, 23-31 Moore St, Liverpool NSW 2170
     Phone: 9821 6022
     Fax:       9821 6035
     Western Sydney Regional Office
     Address: 106-108 Church Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
     Phone: 9891 8111
     Fax:      9891 8109
     Blacktown Local Office
     Address: 8 Patrick Street, Blacktown NSW 2148
     Phone: 9831 0866 or 9831 0877
     The Department can assist TPV holders by providing:
        Temporary Emergency accommodation – This is provided for up to three
        months for people who are experiencing a short-term housing crisis. To be
        eligible you must be:
        I Ineligible for public housing, and
        I In urgent need of short-term housing
        I Unable to resolve the need yourself
        I Unable to live with family or friends
        I Ineligible for other forms of assistance from other agencies because of
          your income or because you only have temporary residency status
        An application for Temporary Emergency Accommodation will need to be
        completed and documentation to support the application is required. The
        following are the types of support documents needed:
    Accommodation assistance
 I Passport, birth certificate, driver’s licence
 I Centrelink statements, pay slips
 I Bank books or statements
 I Letters or reports from welfare agencies, community organisations and
   services such as refugee and migrant agencies
 To be considered for Temporary Emergency Accommodation you must be
 homeless, or have children who are at risk, or be escaping from a domestic
 violence situation.
 If you are approved and you accept the offer, you will sign a three-month
 fixed term tenancy agreement with the Department of Housing. If you
 reject the offer, your name will be removed from the Housing register and
 you will not receive any further offers of housing. Before the tenancy is due
 to end, the Department will review your circumstance. If your
 circumstances haven’t changed, and Temporary Emergency
 Accommodation is still the most suitable housing option, the Department
 will renew your tenancy agreement for another three months.
 If you have difficulties with the English language, contact the Translating
 and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. TIS will telephone the
 Department of Housing for you FREE.

 The Rentstart Scheme provides financial assistance for eligible clients to
 move to other accommodation in the private rental market. There are
 three levels of assistance which can be provided under the scheme:
 Rentstart Standard: The standard assistance for Rentstart is 75% of the
 bond (usually 3 weeks rent for an unfurnished property)
 Rentstart-Plus: Can provide the standard assistance plus 2 weeks advanced
 rent. Up to 100% of bond assistance may be approved in special
 circumstances where clients are without financial resources and are unable
 to contribute to their own establishment costs.
 Rentstart – Tenancy Assistance: Can provide up to 4 weeks for rental
 arrears to secure an existing tenancy. This form of assistance cannot be
 provided more than once in a twelve-month period.
 You will need to provide the following documents:
           Accommodation assistance
        I Proof of identity
        I Proof of income for any member of the household (such as a letter from
          Centrelink, wage slip, bank statement)
        I Proof of current bank balance (As you must have less than $1000 in
        I Medical certificates, letters of support from community organisations
        I Current rent receipt
        I Supporting letters or other documentation that confirms your current
          housing situation

     Mission Australia, The Burwood Centre
     Address: 22 Burleigh St, Burwood NSW 2134
     Mail:     PO Box 522 Burwood NSW 1805
     Phone: 9744 5348
     Fax:      9744 5455
        The Burwood Centre is a Supported Accommodation Program run by
        Mission Australia for men. They have various furnished properties
        throughout Sydney and provide stable medium term accommodation and
        a support program to assist men to rebuild their lives. Residents must be
        referred from another agency.

     Emergency accommodation may be provided for a short
     time in an emergency. The following organisations provide
     crisis and/or short term accommodation. Please contact
     them for information on admission, costs and time limits.
     Homeless Person’s Information Centre
     Phone: 9265 9081
     Hours:    9:00am-10:00pm (every day including public holidays)
        This service is an information and referral service for homeless men and
        women. The service provides a list of currently available emergency
       Accommodation assistance
Youth Emergency Accommodation Line
Phone: 9698 5822 (office no), 9318 1531 (messages)
   The youth emergency accommodation line provides a prerecorded list of
   vacancies in youth refuges (for 14-18 year old) in Sydney and NSW
   country areas.
Women’s Refuges –
Phone: 9265 9081
   Homeless Person’s Information Service for current short term vacancies in
   women’s refuges in Sydney
Phone: 1800 656 6463 Domestic Violence Helpline. 24 hour service for referrals.

       Tenancy advice & information

Western Sydney Tenants’ Service (WESTS)
Address: 44 Station Street East Harris Park NSW 2150
Phone: 9891 6377            Free Phone: 1800 625 956
Fax:      9635 8548
   This service provides FREE advice, advocacy and representation to tenants.
   They also run information sessions for tenants and community workers on
   understanding tenancy law and how to use it.
WESTS tenants advocates give telephone advice:
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday - 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-4:00pm
Tuesday – 10:00am-4:00pm, Friday – 12:00pm-4:00pm
WESTS also operate outreach advice sessions at the
following locations by appointment:
Location: Community Connection
Address: Room 107, 114-116 Henry Street, Penrith
Time:      Mon: 12pm – 4pm, Tue & Wed: 8:30am – 4pm, Thu & Fri: 10am – 4pm
Phone: 4731 6162
Location: Blacktown Migrant Resource Centre
Address: Level 2, 125 Main Street Blacktown
Time:      Alternate Mondays – Interviews by appointment
Phone: 9261 6633
              Tenancy advice & information
     South West Tenants Advice
     & Advocacy Service
     Phone:    4628 1678    Free Phone: 1800 631 993 (every weekday 9am –1pm)
     Fax:      9822 7448
     Hours:    Monday, Wednesday and Friday – 9:00am-1:00pm

     South Sydney Tenants Advice
     & Advocacy Service
     Phone:    9787 4679
     Fax:      9718 0236
     Hours:    Mon & Tue: 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm, Wed: 9am – 4:30pm,
               Thu: 2:30pm – 4:30pm, Fri: 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm
        This service provides FREE information and advice regarding the rights
        and obligations of public and private tenants. Services include telephone
        information and advice to tenants about tenancy matters, casework and
        advocacy services, community education. Interpreters can be provided to
        tenants FREE of charge.
who can
           Youth services
Canterbury Youth Service
Address:         PO Box 615, Punchbowl NSW 2196
Phone/ Fax:      9740 4227
   Canterbury Youth Services provide accommodation and support for young
   people between 16-23 years of age. They operate several houses as well as
   an outreach program and individually tailored case management programs
   which cover areas including culturally appropriate counselling, cross
   cultural mental health issues, young women’s information and support, and
   assistance with trauma issues.

Service for the Treatment and
Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma
Survivors (STARTTS)
Address: 152-168 The Horsley Drive, Carramar NSW 2163
Phone: 9794 1900
Fax:     9794 1910
   This program provides young people with a variety of enjoyable activities
   that they would not normally have access to. The program runs four youth
   camps annually, two held in Rivendell Adolescent Unit and two in
   campsites around NSW and the ACT. They accommodate approximately
   25 young people per program.

Job Placement, Employment and
Training (JPET)
Phone:    1800 657 569
   JPET is a Federal Government-funded early intervention program for
   young people aged between 15 and 21 who face multiple barriers to
   employment, education or training- including young people who are
   homeless, wards of the state or refugees. They offer support and advice to
   find a place to live, work out finances, stay at school or find a job. There
   are several JPET service providers throughout NSW- phone the above
   number for details of the service which covers your area.
     TPV Women’s
     who can                                       services

     Immigrant Women’s Speakout-
     Family Support Project
        The Family Support Project can support and assist immigrant and refugee
        women in accessing services on domestic violence, child abuse, Centrelink,
        health, housing, legal, financial and other concerns. The Family Support
        workers can provide information, advocate on the client’s behalf, and refer
        people to other services. Interpreters can be arranged. The service is
        available at the following locations and times. For an appointment please
        call Zulekha Nazir on 9635 8022.
     Location: Hewitt House Neighbourhood Centre
     Address: 486 Guildford Rd, Guildford NSW 2161
     Phone:     9892 3712
     Times:     Mondays and Tuesdays; 10am to 3pm
     Location: Swinson Cottage
     Address: 26 Swinson Rd, Blacktown NSW 2148
     Phone:     9621 2454
     Times:     Wednesdays and Thursdays; 10am to 3pm
     Location: Immigrant Women’s Speakout
     Address: 42 Station St East, Harris Park NSW 2150
     Phone:     9635 8022
     Times:     Friday 10am to 3pm
TPV English+education
who can

Service for the Treatment of Torture
and Trauma Survivors (STARTTS)
Address: 1st Floor, 44-50 Auburn Road, Auburn NSW 2144
Phone: 9646 6666
Fax:       9646 6610
   Friends of STARTTS provides FREE English classes at three different
   levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced.
   They also hold FREE conversation classes for women with free childcare
   Classes are held during the day and in the evening, Monday to Thursday.
   For information about class times please contact STARTTS.

House of Welcome
Address: 140 Wattle Ave, Carramar 2163 (opposite Carramar station)
Phone: 9727 9290 or 0419 417 064
Fax:      9724 6101
   House of Welcome and Friends of STARTTS (Carramar) run FREE
   English classes at various locations in Fairfield, Cabramatta and Carramar
   near the train stations. Interested students should go to 140 Wattle Ave on
   Mondays (except public holidays) between 11-3pm for information and an
   assessment interview.

Granville Multicultural Community Centre
Address: 8 Factory Street, Granville NSW 2142 (2 min walk from Clyde station)
Phone: 9637 7600 (Angela) or 9682 6719 (Joe)
Fax:      9637 9446
   Several classes are available for people on Temporary Protection Visas. The
   classes provides structured lessons with an additional living skills
   component which aims to address general settlement needs. Please contact
   the Centre for an enrolment form which will be used to assess which class
   is most suitable.
           English and education
     Harris Park Community Centre
     Phone:    9635 0157
        Classes will be run at the Anglican Church, Crown St Harris Park on
        Thursdays and Fridays. Please phone for class times.

     The Salvation Army Community Service
        The Salvation Army has English classes available at several branches.
     Address: 5-7 Mary Street, Auburn NSW 2144
     Phone:    9646 3767
        A conversational English group is held on Tuesday mornings between
        10am- 12pm. The class is informal and includes group work, morning tea
        and grammar. This course would be unsuitable for complete beginners.
     Address: 34 Smith St, Parramatta NSW 2150
     Phone:    9891 4526
        Classes are held on Thursdays between 10am- 12pm. Various levels are
        available, when students turn up they will be assessed to see which level is
        most appropriate.

     The Australian Red Cross
     Phone: 9229 4121
        Australian Red Cross offers classes at several different locations. Travel costs
        can be reimbursed.
     Address: Auburn Occasional Childcare Centre
     12 Station Street, Auburn NSW 2144 (across the road from Auburn station)
     Time:      Wednesdays 1pm-2:30pm
        Course description: For women with children who are beginner or
        intermediate level students and may not have permanent resident status.
        The building is fully fenced and has toys and facilities for preschoolers.
     Address: 6th Floor Red Cross House, 159 Clarence St, Sydney NSW 2000 (close
     to Wynyard station)
     Time:     Thursdays 4pm to 5:30pm and 5:30pm to 7pm
        Course description: For beginner or intermediate level.
      English and education
Address: Cassia Community Centre, 30 Emert St Wentworthville NSW 2145
(close to Wentworthville station and bus stop from Merrylands)
Phone: 9688 3215
Fax:       9863 3561
Time:      Wednesdays 12:30pm-2:30pm
    Course description: For beginner level. Childcare is available, please
    contact them first to enroll so that they can ensure they have enough child
    care workers available.

Regents Park Community Church
Address: Community Centre, Amy Street, Regents Park NSW 2143
Phone: 9644 2050 or 9702 2333
   Classes are on Tuesday nights from 6:30pm-9:00pm and cater for all levels.

Sisters of St. Joseph
Address: 25 Helena Street, Auburn NSW 2144
Phone: 9649 9635
   English classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced levels run during
   the day time of the school term. It costs $35 per term to attend two classes
   per week.

Cabramatta Community Centre
Address: Cnr McBurney Rd & Railway Pde, Cabramatta NSW 2166
Phone: 9727 0477
Fax:     9728 6080
   Conversation classes for beginners on Tuesday’s from 12-2pm.

Fairfield Community Resource Centre
Address: 25 Barbara Street, Fairfield NSW 2165
Phone: 9727 4333
Fax:     9727 4943
   Course description: Conversation classes for $1 each class.
            English and education
     Liverpool Library
     Address: 170 George Street, Liverpool NSW 2170
     Phone: 9821 9422 or 9821 9450
        English conversation classes for groups of 12-15 students are held during
        school terms. The classes are usually held during the morning twice a week
        and fill up quickly- there may be a waiting list. You can enroll in person at
        the library.

     Freetalk Language Exchange
     (run by the Student’s Association of the University of Technology Sydney/Student’s
     Representative Council of the University of Sydney)
     Phone: 9514 1155 or Kanti 0414 487 332; Nelson 0412 328 231;
                 Omid (Farsi speaker) 0413 046 615
         Classes are FREE and currently held in Parramatta although they may be
         moving to a new location, so please phone for updated details. Currently
         there is a class for school-age students on Mondays, 4:00 to 6:30 pm and
         one for working adults on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 8pm.

     Asylum Seekers Centre
     Address: 38 Nobbs St Surry Hills NSW 2010
     Phone: 9361 5606
     Fax:     9331 6670
        The Asylum Seekers’ Centre has FREE English classes and is open Monday
        to Thursday. Please phone to make an appointment.

     Seniors Leisure and Learning Centre                                        (U3A)

     Address: old council offices in Parramatta behind the Town Hall
     Phone: 9630 7636 or 9806 5128
        Conversational English class for seniors 55 years and over. It costs $35 per
        year to join U3A and you can then attend any classes. Please phone for
        information on class times.
      English and education
Phone:     9806 0699
   Anglicare runs English classes at locations all over Sydney. Many classes are
   on during weekdays but there may also be evening and weekend classes.
   Please call the above telephone number and someone can look up in their
   database which classes would be suitable for you.

Address: 47 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone:   131 601 or your local TAFE college
Western Sydney Institute           Blacktown College
Corner Newtown Rd and Main Street, Blacktown NSW 2148
Phone:    131 870
Fax:      9208 1755
South Western Sydney Institute     Liverpool TAFE
College Street, Liverpool NSW 2170
Phone:     9827 5100
Fax:       9827 5200
Granville TAFE
136 William Street, Granville NSW 2142
Phone:     9682 0222
Fax:       9682 0437
Southern Sydney Institute       Bankstown TAFE
500 Chapel Road, Bankstown NSW 2200
Phone:    9780 5500
Fax:      9708 6470
Lidcombe TAFE
East Street, Lidcombe NSW 2141
Phone:      9643 4500
Fax:        9643 4699
    In TAFE NSW, TPV holders are required to pay fees, such as $8 for each
    hour of instruction, in TAFE courses. However, TPV holders who are
    under 18 years of age are eligible to enrol in NSW government schools and
    are fee exempt. TAFE NSW has a Temporary Protection Visa Policy. In
         English and education
      section 3 (Charges and Fees) under 3.2 (Tuition Fee) 3.2.5 states “ in
      extenuating circumstances, requests for individual exemptions from
      tuition fees may be considered by the Institute Director”. A student must
      put in writing the reasons for requesting an exemption and include
      supporting documentation. Each application is to be considered on a case
      by case basis and the Institute Director will make the decision whether or
      not to exempt.

      TPV holders are allowed to enroll in university but are NOT eligible for
      HECS. This means they must pay full fees of between $8 800-$18 000 per
      year. However some Universities are granting fee exemptions for TPV
      holders on a case-by-case basis. To find out more, send an email to
      An advocate who works in the Higher Education sector can then advise
      you on current options.
TPV Support
who can                                   groups

NSW TPV Support Group
   The aim of this group is to advocate on TPV issues on a state and local
   government level. Participants represent a range of non-government
   organisations, service providers, policy advocates and community
   organisations. Convened by the Refugee Council of Australia
Phone:    9660 5300
When:     3rd Wednesday of every month- please call to confirm
Where:    Auburn STARTTS, 44-50 Auburn Road, Auburn NSW 2144
Time:     5:30-7:30

TPV Legal Working Group
   This group is a subcommittee of the NSW Asylum Seekers Interagency. It
   aims to provide relevant legal information to TPV holders and develop a
   system of legal aid for refugees with a TPV. Participants include non-
   government organisations working with TPV holders, immigration law
   providers and legal volunteer services. Convened by the Refugee Council of
   Australia, meetings are held monthly in Central Sydney
Contact: Cathy Preston-Thomas
Phone: 9660 5300

TPV Service Providers Meeting
   This bi-monthly group offers TPV service providers an opportunity to
   share information and problems concerning the provision of services to
   TPV holders. There is an Auburn group and a Parramatta group.
Where: Auburn STARTTS, 44-50 Auburn Rd, Auburn NSW 2144
Phone: 9646 6666, AND
Where: Harris Park Community Centre, 11 Albion St Harris Park NSW 2150
Phone: 9635 0157
           Support groups
     Refugee Council of Australia
        The Refugee Council of Australia (RCOA) is the peak refugee organisation.
        It carries out research, policy development, advocacy and community
        education in order to promote constructive policies towards refugees and
        asylum seekers in Australia. The RCOA also provides advice for agencies
        working with refugees.
     Address:   PO Box 946 Glebe 2037
     Phone:     9660 5300
     Fax:       9660 5211

     Asylum Seeker Interagency Housing
     & Welfare Working Group (HWWG)
        The HWWG is concerned with the areas of housing, health, schooling and
        welfare for asylum seekers. It has links with both government and non-
        government sectors. The HWWG aims to create information exchange
        about services available to asylum seekers. This working group is also
        involved in informing other organizations of the needs of asylum seekers,
        and making sure that they know what supports and services are already
     Contact: Jennifer Grover

     Detention Working Group (DWG)
        The Detention Working Group aims to: collate information about
        conditions in Detention Centers; facilitate information sharing about
        detention, advocate for culturally appropriate services for detainees;
        monitor compliance with Immigration Detention Standards, advocate for
        transparency and accountability by ACM and DIMIA and advocate for an
        Alternative Detention Model.
     Contact: Pam Lentini

About this publication
Know your rights: facts guide
The first section of this guide was produced by Refugee Advice
Casework Service (RACS) and UTS Community Law and Legal
Research Centre (UTSCLLRC) in conjunction with the Smash
Racism network.
Smash Racism is an anti-racist network of individuals which
functions primarily as an information sharing space. Smash
Racism also organises campaigns that aim to fight back against
racism and promote the self-activity of affected communities.
You can subscribe to the information list by sending an email to:

Who can help: services guide
The second section of this guide was produced by Immigrant Women's
Speakout Association. Immigrant Women's Speakout Association is the
peak advocacy, information/referral and research body representing the
ideas and issues of immigrant and refugee women in NSW.
The Association also undertakes community development projects and
provides direct services including in the areas of domestic violence and
employment, education and training. Speakout is a community-based
organisation, managed by women of non-English speaking background.
IWSA would like to thank the Department of Community Services for
funding the IWSA Temporary Protection Visa project .

Production coordination: Vicki Sentas

Design and editorial assistance: Deborah Kelly

Research and writing section 1: Parastou Hatami
Research assistance: Caroline Vu, Agnes Chong

Additional design and support: Ben Hoh, Manoj Dias Abbey

Research and writing section 2: Soraia Rocha e Sousa
Research assistance: Evelyn Dwyer, Refugee Council of Australia, STARTTS
                YOUR RIGHTS

                    for people on Temporary
                            Protection Visas

More free copies of this guide can be obtained at:
  Immigrant Women’s Speakout Association of NSW
  42 Station St East, Harris Park NSW 2150
  Phone: 9635 8022                      Fax: 9635 8176

     Or you can download a PDF version from:

To top