; Guide for newly employed foreigners and their colleagues at the IT
Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Guide for newly employed foreigners and their colleagues at the IT


  • pg 1
									                                                                Guide for newly
                                                                employed foreigners
                                                                and their colleagues
                                                                at the IT-University
                                                                of Copenhagen
IT University of Copenhagen
                 Glentevej 67
        2400 København NV
        Tel.: +45 38 16 88 80
        Fax: +45 38 16 88 99
         Email: info@ it-c.dk


                                SDG Scandinavian Design Group
                                                                   2                   3
    Welcome to the IT-University of Copenhagen                                                                               Welcome by Mads Tofte,
                                                                                                                             president of IT-C
                                                                                                                             Welcome to the IT-University of Copenhagen to our
                                                                                                                             new colleagues from abroad. We are pleased to have
                                                                                                                             you with us. We hope you will enjoy and benefit from
                                                                                                                             your new employment at IT-C.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Mads Tofte,
                                                                                                                             The IT-University of Copenhagen is a young and
                                                                                                                                                                                       President of the
                                                                                                                             rapidly growing organization founded in 1999.
                                                                                                                                                                                       IT-University of Copenhagen
                                                                                                                             Most of the approximately 1200 students already have
    This guide is meant to assist newly arrived foreigners       Index                                                       an academic degree, when they begin their studies at
    and employees at the IT-University of Copenhagen.                                                                        the IT-C at average age of 26 years. The students
    The guide will also help out colleagues to the               Welcome by Mads Tofte, President of IT-C           3        either study full time for 2 years and gain a candidate
    foreigners, since the foreigners will need to be guided      Letter of employment, salary, taxes and pension    4        degree, or they study single subjects alongside their
    through the bureaucratic jungle out there. There are         Residence and work permit at the                            professional full time job. We also have a large num-
    many aspects to deal with when settling in a new             Immigration Authorities                             5       ber of PhD students.
    country. This guide will introduce you to the most vital     Social security number, the so-called CPR number    5
    of these.                                                    Salary account in the bank and credit card          6       The staff at IT-C counts 174 employees in January
                                                                 Taxation on salary                                  6       2002, these being teachers, researchers, admini-
    Along with this guide you will get a book introducing        Insurance                                           7       strative and technical employees.
    you to Copenhagen, “The Time Out Guide Copen-
                                                                 Your family in Denmark                              8
    hagen”, a picture book introducing Denmark, “Vort                                                                        The IT-C has different branches and departments,
                                                                 Housing                                             8
    dejlige Danmark”, and the book “Denmark for foreign                                                                      and you can read more about this from the main page
                                                                 Moving from abroad                                  9
    students and faculty”.                                                                                                   at www.it-c.dk. The Head of Departments along with
                                                                 Car and driving license                             9
                                                                                                                             the Head of the Study Administration and the
                                                                 When you are off work                              10
    We are planning a more in-depth personal handbook                                                                        President shape the daily organizational leadership
    for foreigners at the IT-C, however this is still a future   Your vacation                                      11       of the IT-C. The board of IT-C holds the official
    project. This guide will help you along the way at the       Networking                                         11       leadership.
    beginning of your stay.                                      Learn Danish at IT-C                               11
                                                                 Documents and information at IT-C in English       11       We hope you will enjoy your stay with us and that we
    The guide will be introduced by the President of the         Points that you have already considered before              can all benefit from each other in the daily research,     IT-C is situated 10 minutes north of the city centre of
    IT-University, Mr. Mads Tofte.                               arrival in Denmark                                 12       teaching and administration.                               Copenhagen at Glentevej 67. A new building (the photo
                                                                 Links                                              12                                                                  above) is being built for us in Ørestaden, 10 minutes
                                                                 Literature along with this guide                   12       In this guide you will be introduced to the most           east of Copenhagen city, and will be ready by approx.
                                                                 Appendix                                           13       important tasks to deal with as a newly arrived            June 2003.
                                                                                                                             foreigner in Denmark and employee at the IT-C.

                                                                                                                             Mads Tofte,
                                                                                                                             President of the IT-University of Copenhagen
2                                                                                                                        2                                                                                                                3
    Letter of employment, salary, taxes and pension                                                                      Residence and work                                        Social security number,
                                                                                                                         permit at the Immigration                                 the so-called CPR number
                                                                                                                         In relation to the Danish Authorities you will have to    Once you have got your residence permit, you need
                                                                                                                         start out with applying for work and residence permit     to go to the City registrations office called Folke- regi-
                                                                                                                         at the Immigration Authorities. The necessary order       steret. In Copenhagen you will find this in
                                                                                                                         to deal with the authorities will be explained here.      Dahlerupsgade 6, København V. You will be registered
                                                                                                                         According to which country you come from and your         as a citizen and have a citizen number assigned from
                                                                                                                         present address in Denmark, you will have to address      the Central Personal Register, the so-called CPR-
                                                                                                                         or go to a certain immigration office. If you are not     number. This number is printed on your health insu-
    Before you arrive at the IT-C you will have been       • Taxes depending on your taxation status. See the            from an EU or a Nordic country, you will have to apply    rance card. It is a little yellow card, the so-called
    negotiating an agreement for your employment. You        chapter Taxation on salary, page 6.                         before leaving your home country.                         sygesikringskort, which is used as an identity card in
    must also have had your exams from abroad acknow-                                                                                                                              many places, for instance in relation to receiving
    ledged by the Danish educational authorities, the      Towards the end of the month you will get a salary slip       As an appendix to this guide you will find a checklist    medical care, and at the public library. At the office
    “Center for Vurdering af Udenlandske Uddannelser”,     specifying the salary that will be deposited into your        on what to bring to the immigration offices.              they will ask you to choose a public family doctor.
    www.cvuu.dk.                                           bank account. The salary slip is in Danish.                   Your letter of employment is needed as the first thing.   Beforehand you may ask your colleagues, if they
                                                                                                                                                                                   can recommend a doctor. If not they will be able to
    In Denmark is it compulsory to have a written con-     You will be saving up a pension like all others               If you come from an EU country and live in                recommend a family doctor to you at the registrations
    tract which specifies the rights and the obligations   employed in a position like yours, according to an            Copenhagen Kommune you will need to go to                 office.
    between employee and employer. Denmark has a           agreement between the relevant professional associa-          Københavns Overpræsidium at Hammerensgade 1,
    legislation which protects employees, and no devia-    tion and the Danish Ministry of Finance. Your pension         1267 København K, Tel.: +45 33 12 23 80.                  In this Folkeregister office you might be introduced
    tion from these rules is allowed if this is to the     fund will send you information and a form to fill in                                                                    to taxation and have a preliminary tax assessment
    disadvantage of the employee. You will be covered by   concerning your pension. This form is available in            If you come from an EU country and live in the            handed out. Please see the chapter regarding taxes
    the rules of employment according to the agreement     English, but you might have to ask for it.                    area around Copenhagen, an area bordering                 and counselling at the Economical Consultants
    between the relevant professional association or       Please contact the pension fund before your departure         Roskilde, Hillerød and including Frederiksberg, you       Company Deloitte & Touche, page 6.
    union and the Danish Ministry of Finance, as well as   from Denmark to have arrangements made as to                  need to go to Københavns Statsamt, Hejrevej,
    other Danish laws such as the Vacation Law. See the    whether your want this pension transferred or                 2400 København NV, Tel.: +45 38 17 06 00.                 For further information please see the Copenhagen
    chapter on vacation, page 11.                          released. You will be taxed 60% of the pension and you                                                                  Kommune site: www.kbhbase.kk.dk, choose City of
                                                           can have the remaining 40% released to you.                   If you come from outside of EU, and no matter             Copenhagen and then Guide to Services.
    Your salary will be transferred to your Danish bank    For further details on pensions, you might want to call       where you live in Copenhagen or the Copenhagen
    account at the end of each working month. See the      our consultants in Deloitte & Touche after your letter        area, you need to go to Udlændingestyrelsen,
    chapter regarding having a salary account in the       of employment has been signed.                                Ryesgade 53, 2200 København N, Tel.: +45 35 36 66 00.
    bank, page 6. From your salary the following will be
    deducted:                                              An ordinary working week consists of 37 hours, which          For further information please see the site of the
                                                           is 7.24 hours per day. Ask your head of department            Ministry of Interior, www.inm.dk and the Danish
    • Your contribution to your pension fund.              how the working time is to be split over the week.            Immigration Service at www.udlst.dk
    • A labour market social contribution.                 Most departments have flexible working hours.
    • A labour market supplementary pension contribu-
      tion (ATP).

4                                                                                                                    2                                                                                                                          5
    Salary account in the bank and credit card                                                                         Insurance
                                                                                                                       Family and housing insurance                               If you are a non-EU citizen or without the above-
                                                                                                                       It is not required by law in Denmark to take out an        mentioned form you need to have a private health
                                                                                                                       insurance policy covering yourself, your family and        insurance for your first six weeks in Denmark.
                                                                                                                       your home. As part of our agreement with Danske            You can take out an insurance from many insurance
                                                                                                                       Bank they can give you a beneficial offer on this kind     companies, for example Europæiske, or IHI.
                                                                                                                       of insurance. For further information please contact       If you have an urgent need for health care and need to
                                                                                                                       Danske Bank Private Banking International,                 go to the emergency medical centre of the hospital
                                                                                                                       Mr. Anders Kjær, in Holmens Kanal 2, Copenhagen            you will not necessarily need this insurance, since
                                                                                                                       City.                                                      everyone here will be treated.

                                                                                                                       Personal insurance in case of accidents                    After six weeks you will be covered by the Danish
    You will need a salary account in a bank. The IT-C per-   This document is carried to the Consultant Company       An additional insurance can be taken out as a per-         public health insurance.
    sonnel department must be informed of the account         Deloitte & Touche, with whom we have a very bene-        sonal insurance for accidents happening to yourself,
    number in order for you to receive your salary.           ficial agreement. Deloitte & Touche are very profes-     your family or others or their belongings involved in
    At IT-C we have made a very beneficial agreement          sional and well informed on tax regulations. They will   an accident. It is a so-called ansvarsforsikring. For
    with Danske Bank Private Banking International. They
    are used to handling foreign customers now living in
    Denmark and provide many services. You might want
                                                              negotiate with the Danish tax authorities on your
                                                              behalf. Once the Danish tax authorities have agreed
                                                              on your taxation, a document on this will be sent to
                                                                                                                       further information please contact Danske Bank
                                                                                                                       Private Banking International, Mr. Anders Kjær, in
                                                                                                                       Holmens Kanal 2, Copenhagen City.
    to have a credit card. Danske Bank also offers coun-      you. This should be handed over to the IT-C personnel
    selling on insurance matters, and they offer counsel-     department at once. In the meantime you might get        Health insurance
    ling if you want to buy your new home.                    your salary as a prepaid amount.                         In Denmark the majority of expenses for health care
    Please ask for advice from the contact person                                                                      are paid for through taxes. Consulting a doctor or the
    between the IT-C personnel department and Danske          Deloitte & Touche also provide counselling regarding     hospital is not to be paid for, whereas you will need to
    Bank Private Banking International. For further infor-    other services in your starting period.                  pay part of the bill for medicine, dental care, and the
    mation you can see www.danskebank.com choose                                                                       like.
    Expat Service.                                            Once you have reached an agreement of employment
                                                              at IT-C, you will be contacted by our consultants Mrs.   However, as a newcomer in Denmark
                                                              Birgitte Sørensen and Mrs. Tina Frydensberg from         you should consider the following
                                                              Deloitte & Touche. If this does not happen please ask    If you are an EU citizen you should fill in a form from
    Taxation on salary                                        the contact person between Deloitte & Touche and         the social and health authorities called E104 before
                                                              IT-C in the personnel department.                        the departure from your home country to confirm that
    The personnel department at IT-C will provide a docu-                                                              you have been part of the social regulations there.
    ment stating your work status. Our President, Mads        For further information see www.deloitte.dk              If you bring this form to Denmark, you will be covered
    Tofte, will sign this document. Depending on the                                                                   by the Danish public health insurances from your first
    extend of your contract with IT-C you will either be                                                               day here.
    able to obtain the 25% taxation of foreigners working
    in Denmark or you will pay the full taxation like the

6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          7
    Your family in Denmark                                  Housing                                                      Moving from abroad                                    Car and driving license
                                                            Your home in Denmark can either be rented or                                                                       When moving to Denmark you might want to bring
                                                            bought. If you want to rent a flat or house you should                                                             your car. Please note that you will have to pay car-
                                                            know that it is very difficult to find a place to rent in                                                          taxes, the so-called registreringsafgift. This will also
                                                            Copenhagen, since the demand is much higher than                                                                   usually include changing your license plates to
                                                            the biddings. The competition is very tough, and pri-                                                              Danish license plates. There is a very high import tax
                                                            ces are high.                                                                                                      on cars. You can ask for advice on this at our consul-
                                                            At IT-C we have now been providing a service for                                                                   tants at Deloitte & Touche.
                                                            employees and students for some time by help to find
                                                            a place to rent. Please note that you will be given one                                                            For further information (available in Danish only) see
                                                            suitable offer only. At IT-C the Administrative Officer,                                                           the Danish Tax Authority website: www.toldskat.dk
                                                            Ms. Line Andersen, is in charge of this service.                                                                   An English page is under construction.
    If you bring your family to Denmark, you need to        For further information please contact her by email          When you need to move your home from abroad to
    consider how to make everybody settle in. This topic    at accommodation@it-c.dk                                     Denmark, the IT-C pays for part of the expenses as    If you are an EU or Nordic citizen your driving license
    takes up several books, and a good book to read is                                                                   a service to you.                                     will be valid in Denmark. If you are from elsewhere,
    by Morten Strange (2000), “Culture Shock! A Guide       Many Danes travelling abroad let their houses for a                                                                you may be able to drive a car in Denmark on your
    to Customs and Etiquette. Denmark”.                     period of time through two major companies in                IT-C has been negotiating with the international      driving license from abroad for a short while.
    The book can be found at:                               Copenhagen.                                                  removals company SCANVAN – ADAMS TRANSPORT            Be sure to check the rules for how long you can use
    www.travelbugbooks.com                                  For further information please call                          CO. A/S to get a beneficial deal on moving for new-   your home driving license or an international driving
                                                            Dansk Boligformidling / Danish Homes,                        comers to the IT-C. For further information please    license. It will be invalid within a short period of time.
    The following pieces of advice are taken from this      Hellerupvej 78, 2900 Hellerup, Tel.: +45 70 15 90 07.        see the site www.adam.dk                              Driving without valid license is illegal and is subject
    book: It may seem difficult to become part of the       www.danishhomes.com                                                                                                to fine. In addition you will not be able to rent a car
    Danish society, but you should make a special effort.   email@danskboligformidling.dk.                                                                                     without a valid driving license. It is also a matter of
    If your spouse does not meet people at work, she or     At the internet site you can see a list of available flats                                                         insurance which requires a valid drivers license.
    he might not meet any at all. Danes prefer to stay in   at the moment. The people who own the flat or house                                                                When you get a Danish driving license, the police
    their own houses or apartments. They might not be       pay for the expenses for the bureau.                                                                               might require you to update the theoretical and pra-
    prepared to mingle with the neighbors, so do not take                                                                                                                      ctical driving test.
    this for granted. Danes like active people who take     If you want to buy a flat or house, you might need
    initiatives and do things.                              some local advice on prices and neighbourhoods.                                                                    For further information ask your local police station
                                                            The Danske Bank International Department will be                                                                   in Denmark.
    First of all learn the language. Most local communi-    able to provide counselling regarding the price, down
    ties have community centers where you can engage        payment and mortgage.
    yourself in ongoing activities. Also there will be an   For further information on available flats and houses
    association or society for the hobbies you have. When   for sale visit the internet site which adds up most
    you attend meetings you should not expect people to     real estate companies in Copenhagen and Sjælland,
    come up and talk to you - you will have to talk to      at www.boligsiden.dk. There is no English service
    them. Danes are friendly to foreigners and most         at this site but a lot of addresses, maps, prices and
    Danes speak English.                                    pictures.

8                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       9
     When you are off work                                                                                               Your vacation                                             Learn Danish at IT-C
                                                                                                                         In Denmark there are two laws you have to consider        At IT-C teaching of the Danish language is offered to
                                                                                                                         when you plan for your vacation.                          all foreigners employed at the IT-C. A teacher is pro-
                                                                                                                                                                                   viding this education twice a week at the IT-C, and it
                                                                                                                         One is the law that protects employed staff in            is a very good offer and free.
                                                                                                                         positions like yours, the so-called funktionærlov.
                                                                                                                         According to this law you have the right to have five
                                                                                                                         weeks of vacation each year, but without any salary.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Documents and
                                                                                                                         The other law is the law for vacation, the so-called
                                                                                                                         ferielov. According to this Danish law you save up        information at IT-C
                                                                                                                         from your salary for your vacation the following year
     Around the IT-C there is a lot of work going on during     The majority of the Danes are Christian and Lutheran     in advance. When you enter Denmark, you might very        in English
     the daytime. However, there is no campus life after        by faith. The churches hold services every Sunday at     likely be without these savings for your vacation, and
     working hours. The Danes hold a strong tradition of        10 am. Danes do not attend church very much, and         in your first year here you will have to calculate into   At IT-C an outline has been made in December 2001
     joining clubs and various associations. All the activi-    seem to have a confused relationship to faith now a      your budget for vacations without salary. This vacation   on documents, guidelines and information, which is
     ties take place in the evenings and weekends.              days, yet this is changing rapidly.                      year does not run from 1st of January to 31st of          now available in English.
                                                                There is freedom of belief in Denmark and you will       December, but from 1st of May to 30th of April. This      For further information about this outline please
     Copenhagen is a very nice city to live in. Cultural life   find many religions represented here. In Copenhagen      also means that when you leave Denmark one day,           email Administrative Officer Mrs. Trine Moeller at
     is rich, and the old houses and the atmosphere in          you will find services for Roman Catholics, for Jews,    you will be paid the savings for future vacations.        trmo@it-c.dk
     town are usually charming. You will find a lot of cafés,   for Mormons, for Pentecostals, for Muslims, and          Savings for vacation is 121/2% of salary per month.       or Mrs. Nina Aubertin at naub@it-c.dk
     cinemas, theatres, museums and ongoing cultural            many others.                                             You will see this amount on your salary slip.             The Administrative ABC of IT-C has also been trans-
     events.                                                                                                                                                                       lated into English and is available on the intranet.
     You can find information on the museums and cultu-         Many Danes are involved in sports. Many women join
     ral life at the following links:                           classes for gymnastics and fitness. Many men play
     Copenhagen Tourist Information at www.woco.dk and
     Calendar guide for Copenhagen www.aok.dk, you can
                                                                soccer. Both men and women do a lot of jogging.          Networking
     choose an English version.                                 For further information on sports events, see the site   At IT-C we have a Culture Club for foreigners em-
     The public libraries, which are at a very good stan-       www.aok.dk, choose English and sports.                   ployed at IT-C. Once a month a meeting is held with
     dard, will also have information on upcoming cultural      On sports clubs, se the sites:                           an introduction to an upcoming event followed by a
     events.                                                    www.sparta.dk (including Copenhagen Marathon)            visit at a museum or an event. So far the Culture Club
                                                                www.kif-atletik.dk, www.fck.dk (soccer),                 has visited the Castle of Kronborg, the historical mus-
     For children there are a lot of playgrounds, seperate      www.brondby-if.dk (soccer), www.fitnessdk.dk,            eum of Carlsberg Glyptotek, the arts museum of
     sections at the public libraries, children theatres and    www.hellerup-roklub.dk (rowing at the seaside).          Louisiana and others.
     more.                                                                                                               For further information please see intranet at
                                                                                                                         www.it-c.dk choose grupper and Culture Club.

                                                                                                                         The IT-C has a personnel and arts club called
                                                                                                                         Raketten. You can join here for a small amount every
                                                                                                                         month and participate in exhibitions, visits to muse-
                                                                                                                         ums, and parties in the house.

10                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     11
                                                               There are a number of foreign students at IT-C. There
                                                               are also a number of immigrant students and staff at
                                                               IT-C. Since the IT community in general incorporates
                                                               the whole world, we are trying our best to be very

                                                               For further general information on moving from
                                                               abroad to Denmark:
                                                                                                                       Checklist                                                In all other cases you will fall outside the Danish
                                                                                                                       The checklists below summarize again the major steps     health system for 6 weeks after applying for the CPR
                                                               www.citizens.eu.int                                                                                              number. In that case make sure that you are covered
                                                                                                                       of your settling process. The information given here
                                                               www.expataccess.com (choose Denmark)                                                                             by a (travel) health insurance.
                                                                                                                       applies mainly to Nordic citizens and to citizens
                                                                                                                       coming from an EU/EEA country.
                                                               www.eures.dk (choose Denmark, general working                                                                    Housing Contract
                                                                                                                       Usually documents to authorities are accepted in
                                                               conditions, or seasonal work in Denmark).                                                                        Usually the IT-University will assist you in finding
                                                                                                                       Danish, English, German or French. In case of doubt
                                                               www.workindenmark.dk                                                                                             suitable accommodation for your stay. When dealing
                                                                                                                       please contact the relevant authorities to check if a
                                                                                                                       translation is necessary.                                with your landlord don't forget the following:
     Points that you have                                                                                              Contract                                                 •   sign the lease and send back a signed copy
     already considered before                                 Literature along with                                   Before signing your contract make sure to have a chat    •   arrange for deposit and first rent to be paid
                                                                                                                       with the local union representative.                     •   notify the landlord about arrival day and time
     arrival in Denmark                                        this guide                                              Independently of whether you want to become a union      •   ask for instructions on how to get to your new home
                                                                                                                       member or not the representative will help you with
                                                               When you arrive at IT-C you will receive, along with
     By now you have already got your employment con-                                                                  your salary negotiations.
                                                               this guide, the following literature:
     tract, and your exams from your home country have
     been acknowledged by the CVVU, Center for Vurde-                                                                  Health Insurance
                                                               A picture book of Denmark: “Vort dejlige Danmark”
     ring af Videregående Uddannelser.                                                                                 If you stay less than 3 months in Denmark you will not
                                                               A guidebook to Copenhagen: “Time Out guide.
     Furthermore, you have found an initial place to live in                                                           be covered by the Danish health system.
     Denmark.                                                                                                          If you stay more than 3 months you are only covered
                                                               An introduction to Danish society and with
                                                                                                                       from day one of your stay in the following cases:
                                                               “experienced voices” and useful addresses in:
     At IT-C you will be welcomed at a staff meeting.          “Denmark for foreign students and faculty” by Joyce
                                                                                                                       • either you are a Nordic citizen,
                                                               Kling and Tina Dorthe Nielsen. Copenhagen Business
     You will have a mentor, a so-called Buddy, to intro-                                                              • or you are an EU/EEA citizen coming with a filled-in
                                                               School Press, (1999).
     duce you around the IT-C building like any other                                                                    E104 or E111 form.
     newly employed person. An instruction for the Buddy
     is found at the IT-C intranet.

12                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        13
     Residence and Work Permit                                                                                            Registration at the City Registration                     Mind you that your accompanying spouse also has to
                                                                                                                                                                                    bring residence permit and passport to register him-
     Nordic citizens do not need residence or work permit                                                                 Office, Folkeregistret                                    or herself.
     to live and work in Denmark. However, if you plan to
     stay for longer than 3 months you have to bring an                                                                                                                             If you have taken residence in Copenhagen municipa-
                                                                                                                          You have to bring the following documents to the regi-
     internordisk flyttebevis which is needed for registration                                                                                                                      lity (Københavns Kommune) you have to register at:
                                                                                                                          stration office:
     at the National Register.
                                                                                                                                                                                    • Folkeregisteret i Københavns Kommune
                                                                                                                          • residence permit (for Nordic citizen: internordisk
     EU/EEA citizens: You can apply for residence and work                                                                                                                            Dahlerupsgade 6
     permit after coming to Denmark. To apply you need the                                                                                                                            1640 København V
                                                                                                                          • passport (a national ID card is usually enough for
     following documents:                                                                                                   European citizens)
                                                                                                                                                                                    If you live in Frederiksberg municipality you have to
                                                                                                                          • housing contract
     • passport or EU identity card                                                                                                                                                 register at:
                                                                                                                          • evidence of your health insurance for the first 6
     • letter of employment                                                                                                 weeks of your stay in Denmark (for EU/EEA
     • 2 photographs (passport size and quality)                                                                                                                                    • Folkeregisteret i Frederiksberg Kommune
                                                                                                                            citizens: E104 or E111 form)
                                                                                                                                                                                      Frederiksberg Bredegade 11
     If your spouse or children are joining you, then you also                                                                                                                        2000 Frederiksberg C
                                                                                                                          If your are married and your spouse is accompanying
     need the following document(s):                                                                                      you, you will need in addition the following docu-
                                                                                                                                                                                    If you live in another municipality please ask your
     • marriage certificate (or, if unmarried, documen- tati-                                                                                                                       contact person at the university for help in finding the
       on that you lived together for at least 18 months)                                                                                                                           address of the registration office relevant to you.
                                                                                                                          • marriage certificate
     • birth certificates of the children                          • other training, qualifications, specialities, etc.
                                                                     (this includes for example your PhD studies if
                                                                                                                          If you bring children to Denmark you also need the
     At the office you have to fill in a yellow application form     applicable)
                                                                                                                          following document(s):
     (ideally this form is given to you by us before going to      • address of your previous employers and duration
     the office so that you can take your time to fill it in).       of employment (the form isn't specific about how
                                                                                                                          • birth certificate(s)
     You will e.g. be asked to provide the following informa-        many years this should cover but gives space for
                                                                                                                          • if your spouse is not coming to Denmark a certifi-
     tion:                                                           at least the last three employers)
                                                                                                                            cate signed by the other parent that the child or the
     • address and phone number in Denmark                                                                                  children are allowed to stay with you
     • address of your employer here in Denmark                    In most cases you will not be asked to provide evi-
     • agreed salary and working hours (usually about 36           dence for those data. However, with your signature
        hours per week)                                            you declare that the information is correct to the
     • names of countries in which you have stayed for             best of your knowledge, and the authorities have
        more than 6 months, and the dates of those                 the right to request evidence to support the infor-
        periods                                                    mation you give in the form.
     • name, address, date of birth, and nationality of your
     • your education (elementary school, upper secondary
        school, higher education): where, how many years,
        what was the final degree

14                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             15

To top