Docstoc

Minutes of the Special Meeting of

Document Sample
Minutes of the Special Meeting of Powered By Docstoc
					         Minutes of the 3rd Meeting of the HKSAR Second Term of
                       Wong Tai Sin District Council
                           (Summary Translation)

Date:     17.2.2004 (Tuesday)
Time:     2:30 p.m.
Place:    Conference Room, Wong Tai Sin District Office,
          6/F, Lung Cheung Office Block,
          138 Lung Cheung Road,
          Wong Tai Sin, Kowloon.


Chairman:

Mr. WONG Kam-chi


Vice Chairman

Mr. KAN Chi-ho


Wong Tai Sin District Council Members:

Mr. CHAN Lee-shing
Ms. CHAN Man-ki, Maggie
Mr. CHAN On-tai
Mr. CHAN Wai-kwan, Andie
Mr. CHAN Yim-kwong, Joe
Mr. CHENG Tak-kin, Michael, JP
Mr. CHOW Ching-lam
Mr. CHUI Pak-tai
Mr. FUNG Kwong-chung, JP
Mr. HO Yin-fai
Mr. HUI Kam-shing
Ms. KWOK Sau-ying
Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe
Mr. LAM Man-fai, JP
Dr. LAU Chi-wang, James, JP
Mr. LAU Kar-wah
Ms. LEE Ming-pui, Mavis
Mr. LEE Tat-yan


                                   1
Dr. LI Sze-bay, Albert, JP
Mr. MOK Ying-fan
Mr. NG Yiu-man
Mr. SHI Lop-tak
Mr. SO Sik-kin
Ms. TAM Heung-man
Ms. TAM Yuet-ping, Celia
Mr. TO Kwan-hang, Andrew
Mr. WONG Kwok-tung
Mr. WONG Yat-yuk
Mr. WU Chi-wai


In attendance:

Mrs. Carrie LAM, JP          PS for Housing, Planning and Lands   HPLB ) Re:
                             (Planning and Lands)                        ) item
Mrs. Felicia HUI             CEO (Adm)                            HPLB ) III(i)
Mr. Augustine NG             AD of Planning/Territorial           BD     )
Mr. Joseph HUI               Chief Structural Engineer/C          BD     )
Mr. LEE Kai-wing             DPO/Kln                              Plan D )

Mr. R J S LAW, JP            D of EP                              EPD    ) Re:
Dr. M M LAU                  PEPO                                 EPD    ) item
Mr. C Y LAM                  SEPO                                 EPD    ) III(ii)
Mr. C C CHIU                 SEPO                                 EPD    )
Mr. S M LEUNG                SEPO                                 EPD    )

Mr. Raymond HO               Prin AS (E&T)T7                      ETWB   ) Re:
Mr. S M LI                   SE (Transport Planning)I             ETWB   ) item
Mr. Peter SO                 Senior Liaison Manager               KCRC   ) III(iii)
Mr. Andy FOK                 Project Manager (Atg.)               KCRC   )
Ms. Michelle LEUNG           Public Affairs Manager               KCRC   )

Mr. Ian SEABOURNE            DC (WTS)                             HKPF
Mr. LEE Wing-wai             DSWO (WTS/SK)                        SWD
Ms. S M CHAN                 STO                                  TD
Mr. CHEUNG Mun-kit           Engineer (WTS)                       TD
Mr. Talis WONG               Chief Engineer (Kln)                 TDD
Mr. FUNG Ka-wing             CM/M (KE)                            HD
Ms. CHU Lan-ying             SS (WTS/KT)                          FEHD
Mr. CHAN Hung-ying           DLM (WTS)                            LCSD


                                 2
Miss Victoria TANG, JP       DO                                 WTSDO
Mr. Y C CHAN                 ADO                                WTSDO
Mr. Lawrence KO              SEO (DM)                           WTSDO
Mrs. Christina LEE           SLO (DL)                           WTSDO
Mr. K F WONG                 SLO (BM)                           WTSDO
Ms. Annie CHAN               EOI (DC)                           WTSDO


Secretary:

Miss LEE Fuk-oi              SEO (DC)                           WTSDO


I     Opening Remarks

      The Chairman welcomed all Members to the 3rd meeting of the
Wong Tai Sin District Council (WTSDC). The Chairman also informed
the meeting that Mr. Ian SEABOURNE had succeeded Mr. Jawaid KHAN
as DC/WTS. Members thanked Mr. Jawaid KHAN for his valuable
contributions to WTSDC.


II    Confirmation of the Minutes of the 1 st Meeting of WTSDC on
      6.1.2004

2.   The minutes of 1st meeting of WTSDC were confirmed without
amendment.

(Mr. HUI Kam-shing and Mr. MOK Ying-fan joined the meeting at 2:35
pm.)


III   Progress Report on Matter Arsing from the 1 st Meeting of WTSDC
      on 1.6.2004
      (WTSDC Paper 15/2004)

3.    Members noted the paper.


IV    Briefing on the Work of the Housing, Planning and Lands Bureau
      (Planning and Lands Branch) and Public Consultation Underway
      (WTSDC Paper 17/2004)


                                  3
4.    Mrs. Carrie LAM introduced the paper.

(In the course of Mrs. Carrie LAM’s introduction of the paper, Mr. CHAN
On-tai and Mr. CHUI Pak-tai joined the meeting at 2:40 pm, and Mr.
CHEUNG Mun-kit, representative of TD, joined the meeting at 2:45 pm.)

5.     Mr. WU Chi-wai opined that the District Office should render better
assistance to Owners’ Corporations (OCs) of private buildings, in
particular the ones with limited number of flats.

(Mr. WONG Kwok-tung joined the meeting at 2:50 pm.)

6.    Mr. LAM Man-fai hoped that reclamation should be minimised in
the Southeast Kowloon Development Programme. He also hoped that
Nga Tsin Wai Village could be retained and refurbished.

7.    Mr. CHENG Tak-kin, Michael opined that maintenance would be
more cost-effectiveness than clearance in urban revitalisation works, and
there would be less impact on the residents.

8.    Mr. CHAN Yim-kwong, Joe opined that existing assistance to OCs
was insufficient. He said that continuous guidance to OCs in the
day-to-day operation was most needed.

9.     Mr. LEE Tat-yan opined that residents of some private buildings
were most elderly people of the grass root level. It would be difficult for
them to handle the work of the OCs. He also hoped that the relevant
legislation could be amended as soon as possible so that building
maintenance works could be expedited.

10. Mr. HUI Kam-shing wanted to know how the Bureau would put the
proposals stated in the consultation paper in place.

11. Ms. TAM Heung-man pointed out that only one-third of the private
buildings in Hong Kong had established their OCs. It would be difficult
to carry out maintenance works in the buildings without OCs. She
wanted to know how the Bureau would resolve this problem.

12. Mr. TO Kwan-hang, Andrew opined that the Government tended to
shift the responsibilities to owners in the urban revitalization work. He
hoped that the Government could provide more assistance to OCs.


                                     4
13. Ms. CHAN Man-ki, Maggie opined that assistance to the daily work
of OCs was insufficient. She suggested the Government to help OCs
make loans from banks so that they could carry out maintenance works.

14. Mr. NG Yiu-man hoped that the Bureau would report on the
findings of consultation after the consultation period ended on 31.3.2004.
The Bureau then could discuss with District Councils on the development
of Hong Kong in 2010 and 2120 gradually.

15. Mr. CHAN On-tai suggested that, in order to provide genuine
assistance to OCs, the Government should recommend some contractors
with good reputation to OCs.

16. Mrs. Carrie LAM responded that the Bureau understood the
difficulties of OCs in performing building management work. If found
suitable, the Government would introduce more NGOs to provide
assistance to OCs in future.         Regarding the Southeast Kowloon
Development Programme, the Government would further consult DCs
when the development mode was confirmed, and the Government would
minimise the area to be reclaimed in the development project.

17. Mrs. Carrie LAM further said that both refurbishment and clearance
were methods to revitalise the urban areas. The Government would
consider the requests of the residents concerned before reaching any
conclusion. Regarding the construction of additional drainage pipes for
air-conditioners in public housing estates, the Bureau would convey this
suggestion to the Housing Department for consideration.

(Post-meeting note: The Bureau had passed the views to the Director for
Housing on 24.2.2004 and HD had replied to Mr. CHENG Tak-kin,
Michael on 26.2.2004.)

18. Mrs. Carrie LAM said that the Government would be willing to
provide financial assistance to elderly people to repair their flats. At the
same time, the Government would also consider some other ways to help
the ones in need. She also said that not all proposals in the consultation
paper could be realised. It depended on the availability of resources and
the priorities of proposals of different bureaus.            Regarding the
recommendation of contractors to OCs, she said that it would be
inappropriate for the Government to recommend any particular contractor
to the public, but the Bureau would consider whether it was appropriate to


                                     5
compile guidelines on the quotation of maintenance works items for OCs’
reference.

19. Miss Victoria TANG added that the District Office had taken the
initiative to provide assistance to owners of private building since the
establishment of Building Management Liaison Team in 2002. She
hoped that the building management work would be carried out more
smoothly after the amendment of Cap. 344 in 2004/05.

20. The Chairman thanked Mrs. Carrie LAM, Mrs. Felicia HUI, Mr.
Augustine NG, Mr. Joseph HUI for attending the meeting.

(Mrs. Carrie LAM, Mrs. Felicia HUI, Mr. Augustine NG, Mr. Joseph HUI
left the meeting at this juncture.)


V     Work Plan of Environmental Protection Department
      (WTSDC Paper 18/2004)

21. The Chairman welcomed and introduced the representatives of the
Environmental Protection Department (EPD).

22. Mr. R J S LAW said that it was his pleasure to introduce the work of
EPD to WTSDC and he would like to listen to the views of Members. Dr.
M M LAU introduced the paper and the work of EPD in the Wong Tai Sin
District.

23. As more than 20 Members had raised their views on the work of
EPD at the meeting, the Chairman asked EPD to respond on 2-3 key points.
The remaining could be addressed in writing and discussed at the next
meeting of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Committee (F&EHC).

24. Mr. R J S LAW undertook to furnish Members with a written reply.
He responded to the matters relating to air pollution, handling of solid
waste, noise pollution and water quality of Kai Tak Nullah at the meeting.

25. The Chairman thanked Mr. R J S LAW, Dr. M M LAU, Mr. C Y
LAM, Mr. C C CHIU and Mr. S M LEUNG for attending the meeting.

(Post-meeting note: The written reply of EPD had been submitted to
F&EHC for discussion on 31.3.2004. [see F&EHC Paper 14/2004])



                                    6
(Mr. R J S LAW, Dr. M M LAU, Mr. C Y LAM, Mr. C C CHIU and Mr. S
M LEUNG left the meeting at this juncture.)


VI    Report of the Scheme Design of Shatin to Central Link
      (WTSDC Paper 21/2004)

26. The Chairman welcomed and introduced the representatives of the
Environment, Transport and Works Bureau (ETWB) and KCRC.

27. Mr. Raymond HO introduced the paper. He explained that, in view
of the depth of the proposed Tsz Wan Shan Station, difficulties in
construction and operation would be encountered. As such, an APM
system would be built instead of a railway station. Mr. Peter SO
introduced the latest development of all stations in the Shatin to Central
Link (SCL).

(Mr. CHAN Wai-kwan, Andie joined the meeting at 5:30 pm.)

28. The Chairman inquired about the number of stations to be built for
the APM system. Mr. Peter SO replied that only one station would be
built, as the whole APM link would be only 0.9M in length.

29. Mr. CHENG Tak-kin, Michael said that DC Members and residents
were disappointed at the cancellation of Tsz Wan Shan Station. He
wondered whether TD had conducted any study to resolve the technical
problems.

30. The paper submitted by Mr. KAN Chi-ho, Mr. LAM Man-fai, Mr.
HO Yin-fai, Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe and Ms. CHAN Man-ki, Maggie was
attached at Annex B. Ms. CHAN Man-ki, Maggie presented the paper.
She added that, in view of the population in Tsz Wan Shan area, a railway
system would be the best solution to the traffic problem in the area.

31. The paper submitted by Ms. TAM Yuet-ping, Celia, Mr. WU
Chi-wai and Mr. WONG Yat-yuk was attached at Annex C. Mr. WONG
Yat-yuk presented the paper. He was also concerned about the noise to
be generated by the proposed APM system and the completion date of
SCL.

32. Mr. TO Kwan-hang, Andrew wondered whether KCRC had
contravened the terms of tender, as a Tsz Wan Shan Station was included


                                    7
in the tender document. He was also concerned about whether the APM
system would be convenient for the residents.

33. Mr. NG Yiu-man said that the public was disappointed at the
cancellation of Tsz Wan Shan Station, but he opined that the construction
of a railway station was not the only mean to resolve the traffic problem in
Tsz Wan Shan area.

34. Mr. LAM Man-fai opined that the cancellation of Tsz Wan Shan
Station was due to the proposed merge of KCRC and MTRC, rather than
technical problems. He also said that the residents of Fung Wong San
Tsuen and Fung Tak Estate could not enjoy the convenience of APM, but
had to bear the noise generated by the system, so in order to compensate
the residents, the proposed APM should be free of charge.

35. Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe was also concerned about the charge of the
proposed APM system. He suggested that the related matters should be
taken up by the Traffic and Transport Committee (T&TC). He also
inquired about whether the APM system was included in the tender
document and its construction and operation would be separated from
SCL.

36. Dr. LI Sze-bay, Albert also wondered whether technical problem
was the main reason for KCRC to cancel the proposed Tsz Wan Shan
Station.

37. Mr. WU Chi-wai was surprised at the cancellation of the Tsz Wan
Shan Station. He inquired about whether ETWB had examined the
reasons stated by KCRC.

38. Mr. KAN Chi-ho said that KCRC did not seriously considered the
ways to resolve the traffic problems in Tsz Wan Shan area. KCRC even
did not mention the proposed charge of APM and information on
environmental impact assessment in the paper, so he would not support the
proposal.

39. Mr. Raymond HO replied that Tsz Wan Shan Station was not
included in the tender document. ETWB invited KCRC to consider the
possibility of including a Tsz Wan Shan Station only after KCRC was
awarded the SCL project. KCRC found the construction of Tsz Wan
Shan Station impossible after taking a number of detailed investigations
and studies. The charge of the APM system would be reasonable due to


                                     8
keen competition of public transport.

40. Mr. Raymond HO further said that the SCL project would
commence in 2005 for completion in 2011 if the project to be gazetted in
2004. He reiterated that the cancellation of Tsz Wan Shan Station was
due to the reasons stated in the paper, not because of the proposed merge
of KCRC and MTRC. KCRC would maintain close contact with ETWB
and be willing to attend meetings of T&TC to discuss the matters related to
SCL.

41. Ms. Michelle LEUNG said that KCRC would be willing to
communicate with WTSDC and discuss with T&TC and local residents.

42. Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe requested KCRC to provide more
information and drawings for Members’ reference. Mr. CHENG Tak-kin,
Michael and Mr. WONG Yat-yuk asked KCRC to clarify in written that
the proposed APM system was part of SCL. Mr. Raymond HO undertook
to provide a written clarification to the residents.

43. The Chairman concluded that the future development of SCL would
be discussed at meetings of T&TC. He thanked Mr. Raymond HO, Mr. S
M LI, Mr. Peter SO, Mr. Andy FOK and Ms. Michelle LEUNG for
attending the meeting.

(There was a 15-minute break at this juncture. Mr. CHAN On-tai, Mr.
Raymond HO, Mr. S M LI, Mr. Peter SO, Mr. Andy FOK and Ms.
Michelle LEUNG left the meeting at 6:15 pm.)


VII   Wong Tai Sin District Annual Policing Plan (Summary)
      (WTSDC Paper 19/2004)

44.   Mr. Ian SEABOURNE introduced the paper.

45. Dr. LI Sze-bay, Albert and Mr. FUNG Kwong-chung were
concerned about the cases related to violence in school campus. SWD,
the police and school authorities were asked to work together to resolve
the problem.

46. Ms. KWOK Sau-ying hoped that the police would pay attention to
the prostitution activities in parks and public housing estates, as well as
juvenile crime in the district. Mr. WONG Kwok-tung was also concerned


                                        9
about the juvenile crime problem in the district.

47. Mr. LEE Tat-yan opined that group gambling frequently occurred in
Choi Hung Road Market and asked the police to pay attention to the
re-occurrence of prostitution activities in San Po Kong area.

48. Regarding the point ‘to combat terrorism’ in the policing plan, Mr.
HO Yin-fai inquired about the possibility of occurrence of terrorism in
WTS District and how the residents should react to it if it occurred.

49. Mr. CHAN Wai-kwan, Andie asked how strong the police presence
would be after enhancing it. He also said that theft cases occurred often
in Jusco, he hoped that the police would work with Jusco to curb the crime.

50. Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe was concerned about the violence in school
campus. He wondered whether triad force was involved and inquired
about the strategy of the police in handling this problem.

51. Mr. Ian SEABOURNE said that there was no manpower shortage in
the police. The police had carried out operation to arrest school boys
who were involved in small scale assault cases in December 2003. The
police had introduced new measures to help resolve the problem. The
work of the police on juvenile crime was very successful and supported by
the public.

52. Regarding the group gambling in the district, Mr. Ian SEABOURNE
said that the police would step up its work to arrest the ones who
masterminded group gambling. Regarding the prostitution activities, he
said that the police had successfully arrested and prosecuted the operators
of two vice establishments in the district. Regarding terrorism in WTS
District, he said that it was of low priority as there were no sensitive
premises in the district.

53. Mr. Ian SEABOURNE further said that the police was working with
voluntary associations to help the youth at risk. Regarding shoplifting
cases, the police had arrested 56 youngsters in Jusco last year. The police
would work with Jusco later to improve this situation. The police would
also detect whether triad force was involved in the violence in campus
cases, and take appropriate actions and measures to combat the triad
forces.

54.   The Chairman thanked Mr. Ian SEABOURNE for attending the


                                     10
meeting.

(Mr. Ian SEABOURNE left the meeting at this juncture.)


VIII Appointment of Co-opted Members to Committees under Wong Tai
     Sin District Council
     (WTSDC Paper 20/2004)

55.   The Secretary introduced the paper.

(Ms. TAM Heung-man and Mr. MOK Ying-fan left the meeting at 6:42
pm.)

56. Members agreed to appoint Co-opted Members to the new term of
WTSDC. The Chairman suggested appointing 5 Members to each
Committees and 6 to the Finance, General and Economic Affairs
Committee. Members agreed that the initial tenure of office of Co-opted
Members would be two years and WTSDC would consider prolonging the
tenure of office to the end of the existing term of DC after two years.

57. The Secretariat would submit information on Co-opted Members to
the next meeting of WTSDC for discussion.


IX    Request for Expediting the Implementation of a Democratic System
      (WTSDC Paper 21/2004)

58. Mr. WU Chi-wai introduced the paper submitted together with Mr.
TO Kwan-hang, Andrew, Mr. HUI Kam-shing, Ms. TAM Yuet-ping, Celia,
Mr. CHAN Lee-shing, Mr. WONG Yat-yuk, Mr. CHUI Pak-tai, Mr.
WONG Kwok-tung, Ms. KWOK Sau-ying, Ms. TAM Heung-man, Mr.
MOK Ying-fan, Mr. LAU Kar-wah and Mr. CHAN Yim-kwong, Joe. He
reiterated that he was criticising the election system, but not the individual
Appointed Members.

59. The paper submitted by Mr. KAN Chi-ho, Mr. LAM Man-fai, Mr.
HO Yin-fai, Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe and Ms. CHAN Man-ki, Maggie was
attached at Annex D. Mr. LAI Wing-ho, Joe presented the paper.

60. Mr. WONG Kwok-tung said that to strive for direct election did not
mean they were not patriots. He said that the spirits of ‘One Country,


                                     11
Two Systems’ could be realised by the introduction of direct election.

61. The paper submitted by Mr. LEE Tat-yan, Mr. LAM Man-fai, Mr.
CHAN Wai-kwan, Andie and Mr. SO Sik-kin was attached at Annex E.
Mr. LEE Tat-yan presented the paper. He added that he supported
expediting the pace of constitutional reform. He stated that it was
appropriate for the Government to seek views from the Central Authorities
regarding major issues.

62. Dr, LI Sze-bay, Albert suggested the Constitutional Development
Task Force to carry out thorough consultation. He also hoped that the
Government would enhance the publicity on the Basic Law.

63. Mr. NG Yiu-man also suggested the Government to gather different
views from the public on the constitutional development. He opined that
DC could absorb more expertise from different sectors through the
appointing system. It had been stipulated that DCs would be formed by
both elected and appointed Members in the law, so DC Members should
respect the rules, but the Government could review whether appointed
seats should be retained in future.

64. Miss Victoria TANG said that the Constitutional Development Task
Force led by Mr. Donald TASNG Yam-kuen had been collecting views
from the public on mode of constitutional development in future. She
also said that the Community Building and Social Services Committee
could help promote the Basic Law to the public.

65. Mr. CHENG Tak-kin, Michael opined that it was unnecessary to
have full direct elections in 2007 and 2008 and abolish the appointed seats
in DCs.

66. The Chairman concluded that the Secretariat would compile the
views of Members and pass it to the Constitutional Affairs Bureau for
consideration.

(Mr. WONG Kwok-tung and Mr. TO Kwan-hang, Andrew left the meeting
at 7:10 pm.)



X     Change of Membership of Committee under Wong Tai Sin District
      Council


                                    12
        (WTSDC Paper 22/2004)

67. The Secretary introduced the paper. Members approved the
applications from Mr. CHOW Ching-lam and Mr. SHI Lop-tak for
withdrawal from Committees under WTSDC and it would come to effect
on 18.2.2004.


XI      Progress Reports

(i)     Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Community Building and
        Social Services Committee held on 14.1.2004
        (WTSDC Paper 23/2004)

68.     Members noted the paper.

(ii)    Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Leisure and Cultural
        Committee held on 14.1.2004
        (WTSDC Paper 24/2004)

69.     Members noted the paper.

(iii)   Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Traffic and Transport
        Committee held on 14.1.2004
        (WTSDC Paper 25/2004)

70.     Members noted the paper.

(iv)    Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Finance, General and
        Economic Affairs Committee held on 14.1.2004
        (WTSDC Paper 26/2004)

71.     Members noted the paper.

(v)     Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Housing Committee held
        on 14.1.2004
        (WTSDC Paper 27/2004)

72.     Members noted the paper.

(vi)    Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Food and Environmental
        Hygiene Committee held on 14.1.2004


                                    13
       (WTSDC Paper 28/2004)

73.    Members noted the paper.

(vii) Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Working Group on
      Promotion of Local Community Economy held on 14.1.2004
      (WTSDC Paper 29/2004)

74.    Members noted the paper.

(viii) Progress Report of the 1st Meeting of the Working Group on Water
       Supply and Drainage Projects in South East Kowloon held on
       14.1.2004
       (WTSDC Paper 30/2004)

75.    Members noted the paper.

(ix)   Progress Report of the Meeting of the Wong Tai Sin District
       Management Committee held on 5.2.2004
       (WTSDC Paper 31/2004)

76.    Members noted the paper.


XI     Date of Next Meeting

77. The 4th meeting of WTSDC would be held at 2:30 pm on Tuesday on
20.4.2004.

78.    There being no other business, the meeting adjourned at 7:20 pm.




Wong Tai Sin District Council Secretariat        Ref.: WTSDC 15/25/5/1 Pt.2
April 2004




                                    14

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:8/31/2011
language:English
pages:14