United Nations Development Programme
TERMS OF REFERENCE
A. Title: Web Designers - Call for applications to establish a roster of qualified individual contractors
B. Type of position: National
C. Post reference: MNE 11-062
D. Duty station: Podgorica, Montenegro
E. Duration of appointment: 12 months on an ad-hoc basis (September 2011 - August 2012), with possibility for extension for
another two years (1+1) subject to the positive performance evaluation and budget availability
F. Contract type: Long Term Agreement (LTA) for individual contractors for engagement on an intermittent basis
G. Deadline for application: August 17, 2011
The Mission of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Montenegro is to promote sustainable development which is
economically viable, socially inclusive and environmentally friendly.
Montenegro is moving towards membership of the European Union. This requires further strengthening of the country’s institutions,
improving administrative capacities, and addressing issues of social exclusion in the country. Additional pressure has been put on
Montenegro by the economic crisis, which is affecting the whole country, particularly the North.
UNDP is working to support the Government of Montenegro in its efforts to overcome these challenges. Our work is divided in three
main areas. First, UNDP works to promote sustainable economic development by strengthening environmental protection policies,
developing sustainable local businesses, and promoting clean energy. Second, we provide support to the country in addressing social
exclusion, improving access to services of vulnerable and marginalized groups such as the Roma, preventing and treating HIV, and
the empowerment of women. Third, UNDP works on legislative, institutional and administrative reform and capacity development at
the central and local level in support to Montenegro in its European and Euro-Atlantic integration processes. The aim is to continue
to provide quality, flexible and impact oriented support that will contribute to creating strong and functional institutional framework,
strengthening capacities in Montenegro to facilitate European integration process leading to improved quality of the life of citizens.
ii. Duties and Responsibilities:
Objectives of the assignment:
The purpose of this call for applications is to establish a roster of qualified candidates that would enable regular access to expertise
and qualified web design services on an intermittent basis for various programmes and projects implemented by UNDP Country
Office in Montenegro, including its official website. In line with UNDP’s corporate strategy for the Web, the objective is to secure
high quality, accurate and timely web design services to the Country Office UNDP Montenegro whenever needed for the successful
implementation of activities envisaged under its particular projects or upon a particular relevant request.
Scope of work:
As a contribution to the implementation of UNDP’s online strategy and under the supervision and guidance of the respective UNDP
Hiring Manager, the incumbent shall be required to provide the following services:
- Create web site(s) for the needs and in line with the requirements of the requesting project unit;
- Produce a graphic lay-out for all pages of the specific Programme website, applying the UNDP graphic standards
(www.undp.org ) and developed contents in a clear, concise and vivid manner;
- Test and quality ensure web site(s), adjust and resolve all identified problems;
United Nations Development Programme
- Once web page(s) agreed and finalized, provide maintenance services on regular basis (once a month, or as agreed) and
update/upload the content upon request of the Hiring Manager;
- Upon request, enhance navigation, structure and content across www.undp.org.me;
- Contribute to the publication of multimedia products including photo galleries, videos and audio materials;
- Beside project units, also liaise with the UNDP Montenegro Communications Unit and IT Associate to ensure proper
implementations of Organization’s guidelines and standards regarding design, content, usability and security;
- Support relevant teams to ensure the best standards for Search Engine Optimization and Web Analytics;
- Upon request, provide training for non-technical staff for web site updating.
Web site(s) should have the following functionalities:
- W3C compliant
- CMS based - to allow content updates by non-technical users;
- Outsourced hosting
- Consistent user friendly navigation through the site;
- Search functionality;
- Attractive home page;
- News page and news library;
- Events page and events library with calendar of events;
- Publications library;
- Donors page;
- Site map;
- Password protected document library for the Programme unit and relevant partners created;
- Bilingual web site layout (English and local language);
- Initial content inserted and uploaded into the web site.
- Create the visit counter that will assist in the monitoring of the site use (number of visits, downloads, most visited links
- Instructions manual for updating information provided to the Hiring Unit.
Reporting, Deliverables and Timelines:
- The Web Designer will be required to comply with standard UNDP rules and regulations and previously agreed deadlines
per individual services/deliverables for a specific project.
- The incumbent will be expected to first produce a draft layout for the specific Programme web site. The draft material will
be delivered in an electronic web form to UNDP for comments and suggestions for improvement. Upon receipt of feedback,
the Web Designer will produce the final layout and deliver it to UNDP.
- The Web Designer will take into account all corrections and suggestions given by UNDP Hiring Manager, Communications
Unit and IT Associate until the result is satisfactory and in compliance with the specific UNDP standards.
- No services shall be paid without written approval of the UNDP Hiring Manager.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standards;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensibility and adaptability;
• Strong creative graphic design and communication skills;
• Builds strong relationships with project beneficiaries and partners, focuses on impact and result and responds positively to
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Ability to work independently;
United Nations Development Programme
• Strong ability to demonstrated high quality final products under short deadlines.
• Technical expertise and ability to communicate issues and facilitate resolution in a timely manner.
iv. Qualifications and expertise:
• Relevant education in computer science, website design and programming or other relevant field; University degree in the
relevant field is an advantage;
• At least 4 years of relevant professional experience;
• Experience and advanced knowledge in web design using: HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Macromedia Flash, Java;
• Experience and advanced knowledge in open source CMS (Content Management System) installation and management;
• Experience with domain registration and outsourced web hosting;
• Expert knowledge of web design, graphic design, online video publishing and animation software (Dreamweaver,
PhotoShop, Illustrator, Flash etc.)
• Knowledge of online social networking desirable but not required;
• Prior experience with International Organizations and/or international NGOs is an asset;
• Knowledge of English and local language.
v. Application Process
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications to UNDP Office in Podgorica by e-mail to
email@example.com by August 17, 2011. The application should contain:
1. Cover/Motivation Letter
2. Duly completed Personal History Form (P11) can be downloaded from
3. At least 3 examples of previous work relevant for this position (as a reference, please list 3 major websites that you have created)
4. At least 2 relevant references from previous employers and/or clients.
The short-listed candidates only will be requested to submit a financial offer indicating clearly the price (in EUR) for specific
services envisaged in the section "Duties and Responsibilities".
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer.