Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Introduction to the Dougherty Historic District by Reileyfan

VIEWS: 39 PAGES: 8

									Dougherty Historic District Walking Tour


Extension 58 – Introduction to the Dougherty Historic District


The tour of the historic Dougherty neighborhood takes you from the historic courthouse
square west on Kansas Street and then back towards the square on Franklin Street.


Imagine that it's a pleasant 1943 springtime Sunday in Liberty. Officer Bob Barker (later
known as host of "The Price is Right") is enrolled at the Naval Aviation Reserve Unit V-5
Flight training squadron housed at William Jewell College. He is in one of several
groups of 600 young officers rotating through the college each semester for much of
World War II.


Officer Barker and a local sweetheart have enjoyed a delicious Saturday lunch at
Miller's Café on the Square. Barker and date decide to stroll to the edge of the city. Let's
walk along with them on this 1943 springtime afternoon.


Extension 59 – 200 Block of West Kansas Street


                The Garth House at 218 W Kansas is a Georgian I-house. It was built in
                1857 from bricks that were burned on the grounds. Originally part of a
                farm complex on what was then the western edge of Liberty, it was
bought by William Garth in 1859 and remained in the family for 62 years. Garth was a
Mexican War veteran who went west in the California gold rush, and served as a state
representative. Garth's father and two other men founded the University of Missouri.


                The Raymond House at 232 W Kansas, built in 1890, features Queen
                Anne architecture. Richard L. Raymond was a farmer and cattle raiser.
                He lived in this house with his three daughters until 1909, when he built
the "modern" house on the back of the lot at 233 W. Franklin. The house is a cross-
gable Queen Anne residence with original Eastlake detailing including mass-produced



                                              1
spindle work in the turned porch supports and the porch frieze.


The 1908 Prairie shirtwaist house at 233 W Kansas is a nearly pristine example of the
regional adaptation of the Prairie style into the vernacular "Shirtwaist". It is called that
because of its contrasting wall treatments on each floor and boxy shape. The youngest
of the current residents is the fifth generation to live in this house.


The Gray House, a Prairie Foursquare house, at 253 W Kansas is on a lot own by
Coleman Younger, an uncle of the Younger in the James Gang, in 1849. Later the lot
was purchased and the house built in 1907 by William H. Thomason, the sheriff of Clay
County. He is known as the sheriff who tried to track down the James Gang. In 1908,
Mrs. Gray, principal for many years at nearby Franklin School, moved in.


Extension 60 – 300 Block of West Kansas Street


               The Pence Place at 302 W Kansas was one of Liberty’s few masonry
               Queen Anne residences. White stone lintels and sills around the windows
               contrast with the red brick. The recessed attic windows have Eastlake
detailing. Both porches have free-classic detailing, such as the dentials under the porch
frieze and the round column porch supports. The Pence Place is believed to be located
on the site where the Presbyterian Church was founded in 1829. At the rear (north) are
brick remnants of the original fruit or root cellar.


The Dougherty House at 305 W Kansas began in 1850 as a brick, side-gable Greek
Revival residence. It has undergone many alterations and additions through the years.
This was one of the first homes west of the Square and was built for Dr. William
Dougherty, a physician and surgeon. Dougherty was a city councilman, mayor, and one
of the organizing members of the Liberty Methodist Episcopal Church. As a state
legislator he introduced a bill that established the State Board of Health and worked on
bills authorizing benevolent insurance companies in Missouri. The house (although
modified) is significant as an example of a modest home of a prominent early settler of



                                               2
Liberty.


Several houses in the 300 block of W Kansas are craftsman bungalows built in the
1920s as spec houses for about $5000 each. The main roof extends over the full front
porch, which has square columns. Wide overhanging eaves with two triangular knee
braces, are common to the Craftsman house, in the gable end.


At 334 W Kansas is an excellent example of a small Queen Anne residence. It is
considered Queen Anne because of its varied and irregular rooflines, all steeply pitched,
and its irregular floor plan.


Extension 61 – 400 Block of West Kansas Street


400 W Kansas features a transitional house, which is Italianate in nature, but has some
French and other influences. The higher pitch roof indicates a later construction date
than most Italianate buildings. It was built in the early 1880s.


The house at 419 W Kansas is a craftsman bungalow named “La France”, built in 1912-
13. It is significant as the former home of Elder Fred V. Loos, also known as the
"Parson". He served as pastor of the Liberty Christian Church until 1898. As a
humanitarian he would meet the freight trains with food for the hobos. It is said he
performed over 6,200 marriages and wrote 700 obituaries. The house is barely visible
from the street due to the mature evergreen trees (said to be planted by Loos' son who
brought them as saplings from Colorado). Exuberant in its Craftsman detailing. Variety
of wall treatments-wood shingles on the first floor, stucco in the gable ends, and false
timbering in both areas.


426 W Kansas is a vernacular example of the Prairie style of house. It has a low-
pitched hipped roof with widely overhanging eaves, 4/1 windows, a full two-story porch
with square, clapboard columns and a porch door on the second floor. The clapboards
are narrower on the second floor.



                                              3
Extension 62 – 500 Block of West Kansas Street


The large flat lawn to the left (west) of the vernacular/foursquare house at 504 W
Kansas was once used as a tennis court.


A stucco wall on the Tudor Revival house at 509 W Kansas was common on the
modest examples built before the 1920's. (Wood frame could most easily be disguised
by applying stucco cladding.)


Noteworthy for its fine detailing, the Craftsman home at 523 W Kansas St has a wrap-
around front porch with corner stone columns. The porch frieze has false timbering and
flat brackets. Divided into apartments prior to World War II. This portion of W Kansas St
provides fine examples of stone retaining walls on the south side of the street.


Extension 63 – Site of the Liberty Ladies College


At the corner of Fairview and Kansas you see the Liberty Junior High School to the
              west. Beginning in 1943 this was the Liberty High School, minus several
              additions you can now see. Many years earlier the Liberty Ladies College
              was on this site. It's 1852 beginning left footprints in several locations
              around the town and ended with a building on this location in 1890 that
burned in a dramatic 1913 fire.


              Walk up the steps to the landing of the Jr. High School. Or drive to the
              landing. Look east for a dramatic view. This view summarizes Liberty for
              many of its residents. The Jr. High School heritage indicates the strong
interest in public education tracing back more than a century. Off in the distance you will
see Jewell Hall finished in 1858 and the first building on the William Jewell College
campus. William Jewell College has enriched this community since its start in 1849.




                                             4
Original trustees included Col. Alexander Doniphan and Rev. Robert James, the father
of Jesse and Frank James.
.
Halfway towards William Jewell College is the Clay County Courthouse, revealing the
importance of Liberty as a county seat of thriving Clay County. A piece of local trivia: the
U.S. flag was removed from the then existing courthouse in 1864 "in respect to Clay
County sympathizers of the Confederacy", and it was not until 1912 that the U.S. flag
was raised again on the courthouse flag pole. Between the Courthouse and where you
now stand are neighborhoods reflecting the range of residents in Liberty and the
generations of housing where they have lived.


In 1838, Liberty resident Alexander Doniphan, as brigadier general of the state militia,
was ordered against the Mormons by the governor but flatly refused to carry out orders
to execute Joseph Smith and other Mormon leaders. In 1846-47 Doniphan emerged as
a Mexican war hero.


Extension 64 – 500 Block of West Franklin


The house at 519 W Franklin is a Prairie foursquare built in 1908 that was originally the
home of the Presbyterian minister, Rev. Hugh McClintic. He built this house with funds
provided for in Mary Elizabeth Dorsey's will. The will provided each of Liberty's four
Protestant Churches with $6,000 each for a home for their pastors. This was the only
one built west of the Square. Purchased in 1961 by Joe and Elenore Walley, local
newspaper publishers and community activist. It is now occupied by the Walley's
grandson and family.


The Costello/Hendren House at 516 W Franklin is a nice example of the eclecticism of
domestic suburban architecture. It is described as a Prairie Shirtwaist. It was built by
James Costello, an original lumber mill owner in town. It was later the home of Dr.
Glenn Hendren, Liberty's key physician during the 40's, 50's and 60's. The Ward
Compton family lived in this house from 1969-1982.



                                             5
The little Craftsman bungalow at 500 W Franklin is a pristine example of that type of
structure. Built by James Whiteside, whose jewelry business continues on the Historic
Liberty Square, the two sisters who owned the house during World War II allegedly
used the house to "entertain" soldiers.


Extension 65 – 400 Block of West Franklin Street


The two houses at 429 and 444 W Franklin are Colonial Revival houses built in 1926.
Approximate cost was about $6,000. These houses show excellent examples of a
gabled roof substyle of the Colonial Revival style, which is a simple two-story
rectangular block. The symmetrically balanced façade has an accentuated front door,
with a portico supported by fluted columns.


At 408 W Franklin this house is sometimes identified as Queen Anne due to the
irregular roof form, wrap-around front porch, and bays that were used to avoid a
smooth-walled surface. It was built in 1895. The porch columns are Craftsman, with
square tapering supports set on stone piers.


402 W Franklin is typical of high style Queen Anne houses. This residence has many
devices that were used to avoid a flat-wall surface. The one story wrap-around porch
has elaborate Eastlake detailing such as arched porch entry with corner sunbursts,
              spindle work frieze, columns and rails, and lace-like brackets.
              The houses at 343 and 347 W Franklin were both built as apartments in
              1924 for $7500 apiece. The full-length two-story front porches with wide,
              overhanging porch eaves and massive square brick columns have e
Prairie/Craftsman feeling. The second floor clapboards are much narrower, as are the
closely spaced 2nd floor porch railings.




                                              6
Extension 66 – 300 Block of West Franklin Street and North Morse Street


The free-form and variable house at 322 W Franklin has features expressive of several
styles. Notice also the stone retaining wall in this section of West Franklin.


The house at 108 N Morse, just around the corner from Franklin St is a good example of
a high style Prairie home. Its two-story hipped-roof mass contrasts with dominant, but
lower, wings and porches with hipped roof. The asymmetrical façade has a horizontal
row of windows on the first story. The front porch has massive stone columns and rails
for the wrap-around porch. The overhanging eaves are set off by plain frieze bands,
further emphasizing the horizontality.


               118 N Morse is an excellent example of the Tudor style, which became
               extremely popular in this country in the 1920's and 1930's.


The house at 127 N Morse has a side-gabled Craftsman roof that extends to cover the
full-length front porch. The porch has tapered square wood columns on brick piers and
simple square porch rails. The roof has open eaves with triangular braces; the gable
front dormer has exposed rafters and brackets on the rake edge. The more modest
homes situated closer to the street lends character to the historic neighborhood.


Extension 67 – 200 Block of West Franklin Street


The house at 242 W Franklin is significant for its role in Liberty's history. Originally built
by St. Clair Dimmitt between 1846 and 1856, it underwent modifications by subsequent
owners wishing to enlarge and update it. Beginning in 1946 it served for four years as
the residence of the President of William Jewell College. There is a gable roofed, brick
outbuilding/kitchen with two fireplaces, arched window openings, and a diamond
patterned vent in the rear elevation bricks. This house is sometimes referred to as the
Dimmitt- Italianate Ringo-Dougherty House.




                                               7
245 W Franklin is characterized by a whipped roof with cross gables and shed roof
additions. It was owned by the Gilmer family for over 75 years. Mrs. Gilmer used the
front room for piano lessons for countless children in Liberty through the years. Notice
the similarity to the yellow cottage just to the south on Kansas.


The house at 222 W Franklin was built for Schuball and Mary Dinah Allen. His
grandfather, Col. Schuball Allen, was one of Clay County's first settlers, coming here
from New York in 1820. Col. Allen established a landing and ferry on the Missouri River
which was the main point of commerce in northwest Missouri. The house is noteworthy
for its use of multi-colored brick detailing which emphasizes the second story,
particularly around the windows. It was designed by architect Horace LaPierre.


In a prominent corner lot on the northeast corner of the Dougherty District, the
Craftsman bungalow at 116 W Franklin has an extended gable roof covers the full-
length front porch. The tapering square wood columns are set on brick piers.




                                             8

								
To top