In accordance with the Policy of the Board of Education, the following shall apply to the
districts transportation program. Responsibility for implementing this program shall be
delegated to the Transportation Director.
A. DISTRICT VEHICLES
1. All buses and other vehicles owned by the district shall be titled in the
name of the Board and purchased in accordance with state law and
relevant Board policies.
2. These vehicles shall be insured under the fleet policy carried by the Board.
Only properly licensed drivers authorized to operate district vehicles under
the terms of the insurance policy shall be permitted to operate a district
vehicle. The driver of a vehicle requiring special licensure shall be
3. Other than for Drivers Education training, no students shall be authorized
to operate any district owned vehicles.
B. SCHOOL BUS MAINTENANCE
1. All school buses leased/purchased and used by the district will meet or
exceed any and all federal and state minimum safety construction
2. The district shall have each school bus mechanically inspected annually by
an approved Department of Public Safety fleet inspector.
3. The driver shall perform a daily pre-trip safety inspection of the vehicle.
The inspection shall include brakes, lights, tires, exhaust systems, gauges,
windshield wipers, steering and fuel. The driver shall make a daily written
report describing the condition of the bus and listing any deficiencies.
This report is to remain on file with the Transportation Supervisor for a
period of 90 days.
4. Any school bus deemed unsafe shall immediately be placed out-of-service
until all necessary repairs are made. All repairs to school buses shall be
made by a duly qualified automotive technician.
5. It is the responsibility of all drivers to clean and fuel any bus entrusted to
their operation. It is furthermore the responsibility of all school bus
drivers to inform the Transportation Supervisor when routine maintenance
Page 1 of 2
6. The district shall adapt a preventive maintenance schedule to prolong the
life of all school buses and to ensure the safety of the passengers. This
schedule shall be developed by the Transportation Supervisor.
Little Axe Board of Education
April 11, 2009
Page 2 of 2