Instructions for Completing the Personnel Action Form (PAF)
1. Select the type of employee you are requesting action for:
Faculty: Appointed to the rank of Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in the letter of
Exempt Staff: Executive, administrative or professional employees of the University as defined by the Fair Labor
Standards Act who are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act’s overtime pay requirement and are paid on a
salaried basis for work performed.
Non-Exempt Staff: Employees of the University as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act who are not exempt
from the overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act and are paid on an hourly basis for work
2. Which campus will be the primary place of employment for this employee.
3. EFFECTIVE DATE: The date the action/change is to begin for an existing Faculty or Staff employee.
4. HIRE DATE: Hire Date is used for New Employees ONLY. The date is the actual first day of work.
5. PERSONNEL ACTION: Select the type of action needed. There may be more than one selection required.
6. PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information is for new or current employees of Pacific University. The first and
last name must be the same as what is printed on the employee’s Social Security Card (no nick names). The address must be
the address that the employee wants his/her W-2 form sent to at the end of the calendar year. This section MUST be completed
in full. It is needed for the Faculty and Staff Directory.
7. FACULTY APPOINTMENT TYPE: Identify if full time (FT) or part time (PT). Identify if the faculty position is
Tenure, Tenure Track, Extended Term, Term, Terminal or Clinical. See the University Handbook, conditions of Faculty
Employment, Chapter 4 for a detailed explanation of appointment types.
8. PRIMARY FACULTY FUNCTION: This section provides information for Institutional Research.
(example: Instruction 75%, Research 20%, Public Service 5%). Instruction: persons whose specific assignments are made for
the purpose of providing instruction or teaching. Research: persons whose specific assignments are made for the purpose of
conducting research. Public Service: persons whose specific assignments are made for the purpose of carrying out public
service activities such as clinical services or continuing education.
9. FACULTY CONTRACT INFORMATION: Identify contract details in IN FULL in this section.
The beginning contract date and ending contract date is the start work date and end work date identified in the
written contract of employment.
Pay rate annually is the annual salary paid to the faculty member.
Pay rate Monthly is the monthly salary paid to the faculty member.
The FTE (full time equivalent) must be identified for any Faculty or Adjunct Faculty member.
Number of months worked and number of months paid tells the payroll department how to pay the Faculty
10. STAFF APPOINTMENT TYPE: Identify if employee is a Regular employee (20+ hrs/wk), Part time (15-19 hrs/wk),
Occasional (less than 15 hrs/wk), Temporary, On Call, Administrative w/Academic Rank, Coach. See the Staff Policies &
Procedures Manual, page 3, for reference to the different types of employees.
11. STAFF COMPENSATION INFORMATION:
Pay rate annually is the annual earnings paid to the staff employee.
Pay rate Monthly is the monthly earnings paid to the staff employee.
Number of months worked and number of months paid tells the payroll department how to pay the employee.
FTE (full time equivalent) must be identified for all employees.
Scheduled Hours refers to the number of hours the employee will work each week. (Example: 40)
12. ACCOUNT DISTRIBUTION: Account distribution is the general ledger number that is selected by the department for
the employee’s wages to be charged to. The amount must be an annual amount. The GL must have a payroll object code or it
will not be accepted. Position Control # required for 7001, 7002 & 7003.
7001 Faculty 7004 PT Faculty sal 7009 Add’t payments 7014 Music lesson
7002 FT Admin Sal 7005 PT Admin sal 7010 Resident assts 7015 Coach sal
7003 FT Staff wages 7006 PT staff wages 7011 Interns 7034 Sabbaticals
POSITION CONTROL: Must indicate position control number for all benefit eligible positions.
SIGNATURES: PAF's for employees charged to object codes 7004 and above (part-time, adjunct, non-benefit eligible) no
longer require the signature of a Vice President, instead these PAF's may be signed by either the VP or their designee. Only
PAF's for employees charged to object codes 7001-7003 (benefit eligible) require the signature of a Vice President before they
are submitted to Human Resources for processing.
For HR use
PERSONNEL ACTION FORM (PAF)
1. __ FACULTY __ EXEMPT STAFF __ NON-EXEMPT (hourly) STAFF
2. PRIMARY CAMPUS WHERE EMPLOYEE WILL WORK: ___FG ___Hillsboro ___Portland ___Eugene
3. EFFECTIVE DATE OF CHANGE 4. HIRE DATE (New hires only)
5. PERSONNEL ACTION (Please check all that apply)
___ New Hire (Replacement for: )
___ Sabbatical Replacement (Replacement for:______________________________________________)
___ New Hire (New Position) ___ Supplemental Faculty Pay ___ Revision of Faculty Contract
___ Reappointment ___ Supplemental Staff Pay ___ Reclassification of Staff Pay Group
___ Salary Adjustment ___ Change in Hours ___ Account Number Distribution Change
___ Department Transfer ___ Title Change
6. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Last Name First Name
Pay Group (staff only) Campus Phone
Building/Office # UC Box #
7. FACULTY APPOINTMENT TYPE
FT (.625 or more FTE)
___ Tenure ___ Extended Term ___ Term
___ Tenure Track ___ Extended Term Track ___ Terminal ___ Intern
PT (Less than .625 FTE)
8. PRIMARY FACULTY FUNCTION*
* The sum of the 3 percents should be 100%; for example: Instruction 100%, Research 0%, Public Service 0%
Instruction % Research % Public Service %
9. FACULTY CONTRACT INFORMATION
Beginning Contract Date Ending Contract Date
Pay Rate Annually Pay Rate Monthly
FTE Credit Hours
# Months Worked # Months Paid*
*for PT faculty only, FT Faculty are all paid over 12 months
10. STAFF APPOINTMENT TYPE
___ Reg Employee (20+ hrs/wk) ___ Part-Time (15-19 hrs/wk) ___ Occasional (less than 15 hrs/wk)
___ Temporary (not over 9 months) ___ On-Call (irregular hours) ___ Administrative w/ Academic Rank
___ Coach ___ Part-Time Coach
11. STAFF COMPENSATION INFORMATION
Pay Rate Annually Pay Rate Monthly/Hourly
# Months Worked # Months Paid
FTE Scheduled Hours per week
EXAMPLE: 40 hours per week
12. ACCOUNT DISTRIBUTION ANNUAL SALARY MONTHLY SALARY % DISTRIBUTION POSITION CONTROL
Account # $ $ % #
Account # $ $ % #
Account # $ $ % #
Requested by: (Print Clearly) 3. Funds verified by Budget Office: (Signature)
Ext. # : Date: Date:
1. Approved by Dean or head of unit: (Signature) 4. Approved by President’s Cabinet:
2. Approved by Vice President or Chief 5. Received by Human Resources: (Signature)
Administrative Officer: (Signature)