Docstoc

History C The fur trade

Document Sample
History C The fur trade Powered By Docstoc
					 
History – The fur trade 
 
Creation of the first fur trading post 
 
At the beginning of the 16th century, beaver pelts became a very important economic resource for the 
Nouvelle France. Demand for this fur became strong because of the popularity of the beaver hat. The French 
had the monopoly of the fur trade with the Amerindians who would travel every year to the French trading 
post in Tadoussac (founded in 1600) and the one in Montreal (founded in 1642) to exchange their pelts. 




                                                                                                                
Fort‐Témiscamingue in 1876 
                               


                                       Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net   1
 
 
A continuous war and the first wave of devastating disease outbreaks during the period between 1634 and 
1640 contributed to the extinction of many groups of Amerindians. In 1650, the French were forced to start 
doing business with independent traders due to the assimilation of the Hurons by the Iroquois and the 
increased cost of services provided by their new commercial partners, the Outaouais. Hence, to reduce their 
operating costs, they called on the the coureurs des bois to collect furs from the Amerindians. In 1659‐1660, 
while travelling the northern part of the Great Lakes, two of these coureurs des bois, Pierre‐Esprit Radisson 
and his brother‐in‐law, Médard Chouart Des Groseillers, learned from the Cree, about an area rich in fur 
located between the Great Lakes and Hudson’s Bay. Radisson and Des Groseillers were unable to attract 
interest from the French authorities for their commercial development project so they approached English 
financial backers to finance a maritime expedition to Hudson Bay in 1668.  Two years later, the king of England 
granted a charter to a group of English traders and aristocrats calling themselves the Company of Adventurers 
of England Trading into Hudson’s Bay, and gave them commercial monopoly in the large bay which included 
7,800,000 square kilometres of territory. In 1680, ten years after its creation, the English company was well 
established around the bayhead of James Bay having built three trading posts at the mouth of three rivers: 
Rupert (Fort Charles, 1668), Moose (Moose Factory, 1673), and Albany (Fort Albany, 1679). 
 
The French retaliated to this intrusion into their stronghold by creating the Compagnie du Nord in 1676 and 
building Fort Témiscamingue (between 1685 and 1685) and Fort Abitibi (1686). At first, Fort Témiscamingue 
was established on an island located on Lake Témiscamingue at the mouth of the Montreal River. The island is 
gone today because it was submerged by the increase in the level of the lake. To interfere with the strong 
attraction of Amerindians towards the English, the French traders decided to get closer to the Amerindians by 
establishing two trading posts within the territory. The location of Fort Témiscamingue at the mouth of the 
Ottawa River and on the boundary of the Hudson Bay Company was a strategic choice.  
 
Positioning of the French 
In 1686, the Compagnie du Nord received a royal charter giving it a 20‐year trade monopoly in Hudson Bay 
and then organized and financed a land expedition to drive out the English from Hudson Bay, using the roads 
of Témiscamingue to get there. The expeditionary force was composed of 30 soldiers and close to 70 civilians 
and under the command of navy officer, Captain Pierre Chevalier de Troyes. The expedition left Montreal on 
March 30 and arrived at the Témiscamingue trading post on May 18. They located a house on the island which 
could accommodate 14 persons. This is the only information we have concerning the physical aspect of the 
Témiscamingue trading post. With D’Iberville in charge, the Lemoyne brothers and the coureur de bois, Saint‐
Germain, conducted an inventory of the merchandise and furs at the trading post. The expeditionary force 
continued its way to Hudson Bay leaving behind employees of the Compagnie du Nord, such as Mathurin 
Guillet, whose mission was to transport the furs to Montreal.  A report states that two years after the passage 
of Chevalier de Troyes, the French at that trading post had been killed by the Iroquois.  This massacre put an 
end to the existence of the first trading post on Lake Témiscamingue. 
 
Overproduction and contraband 
Trading activities in Témiscamingue did not cease between 1688 to 1720, but they were greatly affected by 
the sluggish European fur market. While demand for fur in France was 45,000 lbs per year, the Canadian 
production totalled 150,000 lbs. Fur production had to be reduced as a result of this stock pile. Trade licenses 
were introduced in 1681 to limit competition in the fur trade, but they were abolished in 1696. This decision 
meant that only furs brought to Montreal by the Amerindians were purchased. This in turn officially closed 
Témiscamingue to white traders. Restrictions imposed on the fur trade gave rise to the emergence of 
contraband to New England.  The unlawful trade was at its highest point from 1700 to 1720 while Canadian 
traders travelled to Témiscamingue to get furs to sell them to English colonies.  In 1713, the treaties of Utrecht 

                                         Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net   2
ended the War of the Spanish Succession, which resulted in the transfer of all of the Hudson Bay territory to 
the English. This contributed to reviving competition for Northern furs and gave way to a period of political 
stability conducive to the fur trade.  Surpluses disappeared. Increased demand for furs enabled the re‐
establishment of the trading post in Témiscamingue at a place called Aubatwenanek which means strait in 
Indian. In 1720, Governor Vaudreuill delegated Paul Guillet, son of Mathurin, to open the trading post. 
 
 
 
Opening of the second trading post

Up until 1760, business took place in a continuous manner and was more structured. 
The second Témiscamingue trading post is regulated by fixed price licensing, leasing and license auctions. A 
merchant  by  the  name  of  Paul  Guillet  remained,  till  his  death  in  1753,  the  main  person  in  the  fur  trade 
industry  in  this  region.  In  association  with  his  brother‐in‐law,  Jean‐Baptiste  Cuilllerier,  or  following  other 
voyageurs such as Jean–Baptiste Godefroy, Rene de Couagne and Louis Leduc, Paul Guillet went annually or 
sent two or three canoes to Témiscamingue during most of this quarter century. The episode on the Joseph 
Fleury  de  la  Gogendière  farm  and  vice‐farmers,  Antoine  d’Ailleboust,  Charles  Lemaire  and  the  Quesnel‐
Fontblanche  brothers,  barely  interrupted  Guillet’s  business  in  the  Upper  Ottawa  River  between  1725  and 
1727. 




                                                                                  
From 1739 till 1751, Nicolas Lanouillet and François‐Étienne Cugnet were granted firm rights on fur trade for 
Témiscamingue but the fur traders remained Paul Guillet and his nephew Charles Héry. At Guillet’s death, the 
Témiscamingue fur trading post was passed on to his cousin, the Montreal merchant Jacques Lemoine and his 
associates, Officer Charles Tarieu de la Naudière and the voyageur Antoine Lemaire. 
Fur  trading  in  Témiscamingue  underlined  the  importance  of  family  connections  in  this  business.  Brother‐in‐
laws, cousins, nephews, all pooled together their funds to maximize the profit from this natural resource of 
fur. Inheritance was also quite often done directly by fur traders in the seventeenth and eighteenth century. 
The successors of the Guillet, Lemoine, and Charly families remained at the helm of the enterprise. During the 
English  period,  a  Scottish  family  by  the  name  of  Cameron  also  dominated  the  scene  of  fur  trading  in 
Témiscamingue.  
 
English experiences

With the handing over of Canada to British domination, the business of the Témiscamingue trading post was 
no  longer  exclusive  to  a  few  farmers.  Anyone  who  desired  could  exploit  this  resource.  According  to  some 

                                            Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net    3
Hudson  Bay  Company  correspondents  from  the  Moose  trading  post,  all  of  the  Frenchmen  pulled  into  the 
interior  of  the  land  in  June  of  1761  to  be  replaced  by English  traders.  The  latter came  down  like  a cloud  of 
mosquitoes on all of the rivers that led to James Bay. Lake Témiscamingue was not an exception. The English 
took over the trading posts left behind by the French. From 1760 till 1795, the Témiscamingue trading post 
and its entire neighbouring region, stretching from Lake Victoria to Mattawa and passing through Lake Abitibi, 
were exploited by independent merchants from Quebec and Montreal. In December of 1795, Simon McTavish 
and Joseph Frobisher, two agents from the Northwest Company in Montreal, purchased the Témiscamingue 
trading  post  from  the  merchants  Grant,  Campion  and  Gerrard.  The  increasing  complexity  of  the  fur  trade 
operations and the extension of expanding hunting grounds necessitated larger investments and obligated the 
regrouping  of  interested  fur  trade  merchants.  The  Northwest  Company,  which  united  many  Canadian 
merchants, was thus founded in 1779. 
                      
Fort Operations

For the Northwest Company who wished to obtain a more direct access route towards Western Canada and 
needing to pass through Hudson Bay, the establishment of the Témiscamingue trading post brought it closer 
to  the  Hudson  Bay’s  establishments  and  created  stronger  competition.  The  1795  purchase  then  offered  the 
Northwest  Company    negotiating  power.  Concerned  about  of  its  efficiency,  the  company  maintained  the 
trading  post  personnel  and  Aenas  Cameron,  in  charge  since  1793,  remained  at  the  Témiscamingue  trading 
post till 1804. Generally speaking, the buildings in all of the Northwest Company trading posts were relatively 
modest,  as  they  were  during  the  period  of  independent  merchants.  The  essential  elements,  if  not  the  only 
ones,  were  composed  of  the  following:    two  living  quarters  for  the  post  master  and  the  men,  two  storage 
buildings  for  the  dry  merchandise  and  provisions,  one  barn,  a  canoe  house,  a  dairy  and  a  cold  cellar  for 
potatoes. 
In  the  important  trading  posts  like  Lake  Témiscamingue,  a  trading  store  completed  the  set‐up.  The  fur 
collections went back to the time of the Amerindians, who received credited goods in the fall; they would then 
leave the trading posts for their hunting grounds and would return to sell their furs and pay up their debts in 
June.  They  would  also  reappear  on  occasion  at  the  trading  posts  to  obtain  more  goods  or  to  participate  in 
celebrations. 
 
The joining of the Northwest Company and the Hudson Bay Company

The Northwest Company was in operation in the Témiscamingue district until 1821.  
With the suggestion of  some of its  directors, the Northwest Company and the Hudson Bay Company joined 
forces  in  1821.  Conserving  the  name  of  Hudson  Bay  Company  in  accordance  with  its  royal  charter,  the 
directors of the Northwest Company were successful in putting the majority of its men in charge of the trading 
posts. 
The Témiscamingue trading post masters who were working previously for the Northwest Company, such as 
the McBride’s and the Cameron’s, remained in their positions. With the disappearance of its competitor, the 
Hudson Bay Company could now put forward an animal conservation policy and operate more efficiently by 
reducing  salaries,  decreasing  the  number  of  trading  posts  and  by  supplying  them  through  the  Hudson  Bay 
route. The new salary policy had negative effects on the recruitment of personnel when the fur trade in the 
bay  was  not  sufficiently  abundant.  The  establishment  of  the  pioneers  and  the  smaller  traders  all  along  the 
Ottawa River  and the attraction that they created amongst the Amerindians in the Témiscamingue District, 
caused a problem of excessive alcohol consumption amongst these people.   
 
 




                                             Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net      4
Decrease in fur trade

In  1830,  the  Témiscamingue  District  counted  three  trading  posts,  thirteen  permanent  employees  and  could 
hold three hundred and thirty bails of merchandise. The trade decreased in the Témiscamingue District for the 
first fifteen years following the union of the Northwest Company and the Hudson Bay Company. The territory 
was  smaller  and  the  Ottawa  River  traders  exercised  a  fierce  competition.  Resulting  undoubtingly  from    the 
new  conservation  policy  that  was  put  into  place  following  the  union  of  1821,  the  pelt  production  took  off 
again  after  1835  in  spite  of  the  emergence  of  a  new  challenge,  that  being  the  arrival  of  the  lumberjacks  to 
Lake  Témiscamingue.    Over  the  long  term,  the  arrival  of  the  lumberjacks,  followed  by  the  arrival  of  the 
pioneers, caused the end of the fur trade with the destruction of the animal habitat. In the short term, the 
lumberjacks competed with the Hudson Bay Company to hire the Amerindians, by giving them higher wages 
and buying their furs. The Hudson Bay Company then undertook to step ahead by starting up its own forestry 
business.    Simpson,  the  governor  of  the  Company,  opened  three  logging  camps  on  Lake  Témiscamingue  in 
1840.  The  forestry  business  allowed  for  the  Hudson  Bay  Company  to  have  a  larger  number  of  personnel  to 
oversee the Amerindians. Fur trade alone was no longer substantial enough to support the personnel required 
to maintain this commerce. 




                                                                                                                               




                                             Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net      5
The Arrival of the Missionaries

The  arrival  of  the  lumberjacks  on  Lake  Témiscamingue  coincided  also  with  the  arrival  of  the  catholic 
missionaries who celebrated their first mass in 1836 and built a chapel on the trading post site in 1839. The 
arrival of the missionaries was not well perceived originally by the Company. By converting the Amerindians to 
the European civilization, the religious members were contributing to the destruction of the nomad lifestyle 
on which the fur trade was dependent. By keeping the Amerindians close to the trading post, the missionaries 
created  provision  problems  for  the  Company  and  reduced  the  amount  of  time  that  the  Amerindians  could 
spend  hunting.  Primarily  devoted  to  the  conversion  of  Amerindians,  the  missionaries  also  enthusiastically 
promoted  the  colonization  through  such  activities  as  the  foundation  of  the  Témiscamingue  Colonization 
Society  in  1883  and  preached  by  example  by  clearing  the  land  for  the  Saint  Claude  mission  in  1864,  just  in 
front of the Témiscamingue trading post on the left bank of the lake (Ontario) and later on, in Ville‐Marie.  

The Colonization

As the pioneers established themselves around Lake Témiscamingue, the district trading posts became general 
stores,  which  collected  furs  as  well,  until  the  more  specialized  merchants  replaced  them.  In  spite  of  all  the 
changes, the annual fur production at the Témiscamingue trading post increased from 21 bails in 1848 to 82 
bails  in  1867.  In  1868,  the  Lake  Témiscamingue  trading  post  became  the  post  office  for  the  distribution  of 
mail. 
Finally,  the arrival  of  the  railway  in  Mattawa  in  1880  took  away  any  real  importance  to  the  Témiscamingue 
trading  post  since  the  central  office  was  located  in  Mattawa  in  1882.  Starting  in  1887,  the  trading  post’s 
merchandise  was  for  sale  in  Ville‐Marie  in  order  to  counteract  the  competition  from  local  merchants.  From 
1890 till 1898, the post was in the hands of a supervisor. Trade operations started up again in 1898 and ran 
until 1902, the year that the Hudson Bay Company moved most of its business to Haileybury. 
 

Historical Importance
The  Ministry  of  Northern  and  Indian  Affairs  acquired  the  site of  the  old  trading  post  in  1970  in  order  to 
commemorate the old fur trade post which exercised activities in this region for over two centuries. 
Since 1931, the Commission for Historical Monuments and Sites of Canada declared the old Témiscamingue 
Fur Trade Post to be of national historical significance and in 1938, a commemorative plaque was unveiled in 
Ville‐Marie.  In  1967,  the  Commission  re‐affirmed  the  1931  recommendation  and  requested  a  proper 
commemoration of the old trading post. The site was officially declared a national historical park in 1985. 
 
 
The Témiscamingue region occupies an immense territory of 20,000 square kilometres and is situated along 
the lake that carries the same name. The territory, typically rural, has a population of 18,000 people in 20 
municipalities and four Algonquin communities. 
 
    • 95% of the territory is covered by lakes and forests; 
    • There are 7,500 lakes and rivers; 
    • There are 5 big lakes: Témiscamingue, Simard, Des Quinze, Kipawa and the Decelles reservoir; 
    • The Algonquin community represents approximately 13% of the population 
 



                                             Société de développement du Témiscamingue | www.temiscamingue.net      6

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:17
posted:8/27/2011
language:English
pages:6