5 Modern Bathroom Design Ideas
Would you say your overall design style is sleek and chic? Do you enjoy the true architecture of a
space with its linear simplicity rather that an overly adorned and accessorized space? If you'd like to
translate your modern vision into your Master Bath here are a few design ideas to help get you
• When it comes time to selecting the design of your cabinetry lean toward clean, crisp and
• To create a lighter and sleek bathroom environment consider cantilevered cabinetry secured
to the wall creating a minimal look to the vanity piece. Create some drama with strip
lighting added to the bottom side of the cabinet - which will cast a warm glow to the floor
• Provide additional built in wall-to-wall storage elsewhere in the bathroom to compensate for
the reduced storage in the vanity area.
• Deep dark rich woods evoke a sense of warmth to the clean lines of contemporary design.
• Crisp clean and sleek white fixtures speak to the contemporary/modern design. If space
allows introduce one of the hottest trends - a free- standing bathtub.
• They are available in all shapes and sizes and nothing creates a more dramatic focal point in
the bathroom than an exquisite free-standing tub. Simply position it in front of a spectacular
picture window with a breathtaking view as the backdrop.
3. Surfaces and Materials
• Utilize solid surfaces for countertops, whether quartz, limestone, granite, concrete or glass to
give it a clean contemporary look. Keep the edges simple and square for easy maintenance
and sophisticated style.
• Always introduce an interesting backsplash material in contrast to the counter top color and
material. Whatever the surface I like to apply it on all walls from floor to ceiling. It creates
instant architecture and adds great detail and drama to the space.
• Glass tile, mosaic, stone or ceramic details are just a few of the highly decorative backsplash
products out on the market today that create a sense of modern style.
• Keep geometry in mind when selecting the material for your contemporary backsplash.
Consider tile shapes that are rectangular, oversized, or small mosaics to create detail in the
pattern of the application. If the tile is oversized and rectilinear install it in a brick pattern. If
it's shape is longer and thinner then stacking the tile creates a very interesting modern vibe.
Stay away from the common square tile in any size.
4. Luxurious Shower
• Create a steam shower with multiple rain heads, and body sprays. If your budget allows, add
chromatherapy and aromatherapy to your master bath wish list as well. These fittings
represent the epitome of modern luxury design. Don't forget a built in bench and access
panel to hide the steam system.
• Design a full seamless glass enclosure from floor to ceiling and finish the interior with
complimentary mosaics or stone tile to set it apart from the rest of the space. This glass
enclosure creates a more visually open space within the overall space.
• Remember to keep clutter and display to a minimum.
• Accessorize with towels in a bright color for punch or stainless steel and woods. Keep
everything to a minimum and clutter free.
• Select chrome, nickel or silver toned drawer/door pulls, towel bars, towel hooks and paper
holders for sparkle.
• Frame vanity mirrors in woods or silver tones - in similar finishes to the other accessories
adorning your modern bath.