; Flood Insurance Resource Guide
Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Flood Insurance Resource Guide


  • pg 1
									                                          Flood Insurance Resource Guide
                                                                                                April 12, 2011

                                                                                            Inside the Guide

                                                                    Understanding Flood Risk in Central Point

                                                               Understanding Flood Insurance Requirements

                                               Flood Smart Residential Coverage: Questions for Your Agent

                       FEMA’s Saving on Flood Insurance: Information About the NFIPs Grandfathering Rule

                                    FEMA’s Preferred Risk Policy Eligibility Extension Fact Sheet for the Public

                                                                  Central Point’s Flood Insurance Fact Sheet

                                                 Central Point’s Quick Guide to Understanding Flood Zones

                                                          Not in High Risk Flood Zone Guide for Homeowners

                                                                  LOMA-OAS Application Form & Instructions


It’s important to realize that every property is located in a flood zone. That means that there are varying
degrees of flood risk that range from low to high. As a result of the recent flood study, residents,
business owners and the City are equipped to be better prepared and to take action to reduce our risk
before the next flood disaster occurs.

Central Point’s understanding of flood risk has changed due to a scientific re-evaluation of floodplains
located along six of our seven streams. Changes to flood risk observed in the community vary between
the following scenarios:

    •   Some areas previously mapped as low to moderate risk are now mapped as having a high
        degree of flood risk. High risk means that there is a 1% annual chance of flooding, hence the
        term 100-year floodplain.

    •   Some areas previously mapped as having a high flood risk have been re-zoned to a lower flood
        risk designation.

    •   Many areas continue to have the same flood risk as previously shown on the older, 1982 flood
        hazard maps for the community.

It’s important to know your flood risk so you can take actions to protect your structure and your family.
The most effective way of protecting your structure and belongings is to carry flood insurance. Since the
City participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, flood insurance is available to everyone in the

                                                                                                   Page 1 of 3
City regardless of the flood risk. And remember, more than 25% of all flood insurance claims come from
low-to-moderate risk flood hazard areas.


The Federal government has a mandatory flood insurance purchase requirement for structures located
in the high risk flood zone. This requirement is enforced by the lending industry. This means that the
changes to our awareness of flood risk in the community will also impact residents who have mortgages
in high risk flood hazard areas, as their lenders will eventually enforce the mandatory flood insurance
purchase requirement.

Here is what you need to know about flood insurance:

   •    Flood insurance is required by the Federal government for structures mapped in high risk flood
        hazard areas with financing from a federally regulated or insured lender.

   •    There are cost savings options available for property owners whose structures are being re-
        zoned from low risk to high risk.
           o FEMA Grandfathering Rules allow property owners to “lock-in” the low risk flood zone
                from the former map as the basis for rating a flood insurance policy when the policy is
                purchased before May 3, 2011. Property owners in high risk flood hazard areas with no
                zone change can also “lock-in” the Base Flood Elevation from the old map (1982) when
                it’s lower than the Base Flood Elevation provided on the new map (2011).

            o   FEMA also now has a new transitional program called the Preferred Risk Policy
                Extension Program. It allows property owners with flood zone change from low risk to
                high risk to take advantage of Preferred Risk flood insurance rates for two renewal
                cycles after the new map takes effect on May 3, 2011. Check out the Preferred Risk
                Policy Extension Fact Sheet for more information.

                Remember to talk to a qualified insurance professional to explore your flood insurance
                options to take advantage of optimal savings.

    •   Flood insurance policies are written by local insurance agents on behalf of the Federal

    •   The City hosted the Southern Oregon Flood Insurance Fair on March 29, 2011 in partnership
        with other Jackson County communities, the Rogue Valley Council of Governments, the
        Southern Oregon International Code Council and the Professional Land Surveyors Organization
        and local flood insurance agents to assist residents with their flood insurance questions and
            o Agents who attended this event were required to attend two trainings in the most
                current flood insurance rating rules, cost savings programs, and tools and techniques to
                help residents save as much money as possible on flood insurance. See Table 1 for a list
                of qualified agents represented at the Southern Oregon Flood Insurance Fair.

                                                                                              Page 2 of 3
                       Southern Oregon Flood Insurance Fair – Insurance Agent Participants

 Joseph Rayburn               Farmers Insurance   541-772-6107   jrayburn@farmersagent.com

 Josh Elbert                  State Farm          541.772.3291   josh@joshelbert.com

 Kristin Wick                 Hart Insurance      541-479-5521   sklumph@hartinsurance.com

 Gregory Scott                Allstate            541-664-0412   gregscott@allstate.com

 Scott Sherbourne             Western States      541-779-1321   ssherbourne@wsi-insurance.com

 Steve Yancey                 Ashland Insurance   541-261-5444   syancy@ashlandinsurance.com

 Pamela Breazeale             Beecher Carlson     541-772-1111   pam.breazeale@beechercarlson.com

Table 1 - Agent List

In addition to the information provided in this guide, check out the FloodSmart.gov website for
additional information about flood risk and flood insurance. The more information you have, the more
prepared you will be to adapt to the pending map changes and successfully work with your insurance
agent to maximize your savings.

                                                                                          Page 3 of 3
           The official site of the NFIP

          A F l o things a r s i t e f o r N F I P A g e n t s
There are several o d s m yout should know before talking to your insurance agent that can help determine the
right flood insurance for you.

Elevation Certificates
Your insurance agent may ask you for an Elevation Certificate. This certificate verifies the elevation of the
lowest floor of your house relative to the ground. It is especially important if your house/building is in a high-

risk flood area.

                  A FloodSmart site for NFIP Agents
An Elevation Certificate is only required if your building was built, or substantially improved, on or after the
date of the community’s initial Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). These buildings are considered to be Post-
FIRM. Be sure to ask your agent if your house/building is a Pre-FIRM or Post-FIRM building before purchasing
your Elevation Certificate.

It’s also beneficial to ask if your community participates in the Community Rating System (CRS), because that
means local officials may already have a copy of your Elevation Certificate on file. See the CRS questions below.

Helpful Questions
To be proactive about your insurance, you should ask your insurance agent the following questions:

      • What flood zone do I live in? What is my property’s flood risk?
      • Is flood insurance mandatory for my property? Will the lender require it?
      • Even if flood insurance isn’t required by my lender, do I still need it?
      • Do I qualify for a Preferred Risk Policy?
      • Does my community participate in the NFIP Community Rating System (CRS)?
        If so, does my home qualify for a CRS rating discount?
      • What will and won’t be covered against flood damage?
      • Will my flood insurance policy be backed by the federal government?
      • How much coverage should I get for my building and for my contents?
      • What options do I have to reduce my premium?
      • Are there additional expenses or agency fees I should be aware of?
      • Will my policy provide Replacement Cost Value or Actual Cash Value? And what is the difference
        between the two?
      • Who should I call if I have a flood claim?
      • How can I pay for my policy?
      • How will my policy be renewed?

To find an agent near you, go to FloodSmart.gov or call 1-888-379-9531.

Saving on Flood Insurance

Flood risks can change over time, altering floodplain         GRANDFATHERING OFFERS SAVINGS
boundaries. Changes in the status of dams or levees, sur-
face erosion, land use, and development can all change        The NFIP’s grandfathering provision offers savings for
the size and shape of a floodplain.                           structures that were built before a flood map was issued
                                                              for the community, or that were built in compliance with
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is             the flood map in effect at the time of construction. The
currently updating and modernizing the Nation’s flood         simplest way to grandfather is to purchase a flood insur-
maps. The new maps will reflect recent changes to flood-      ance policy before the new map takes effect and maintain
plains and flood risks, and will drive changes in flood       coverage without a lapse.
insurance requirements for some property owners.
                                                              If a structure was built in compliance with the require-
FLOOD MAPS AND FLOOD INSURANCE                                ments in place at the time of construction, the zone and
                                                              base flood elevation (BFE)* that was in effect can be used
Flood maps, also known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps           for rating purposes, if either is affected due to a map
(FIRMs), show the high-risk areas where there is at least a   change. Sometimes using the new zone can provide a bet-
1-percent-annual chance of flooding. In these areas, also     ter rate than using the older one, so the property owner
known as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs), flood            should always ask his/her agent to look at both options.
insurance is required for mortgages from a Federally
regulated lender. The maps also show the low- or moder-
ate-risk areas where flood insurance is optional, but rec-              LEVEES AND FLOOD INSURANCE
                                                              FEMA urges all people living behind levees to pur-
                                                              chase and maintain flood insurance coverage,
When risk designations change, flood insurance rates will
                                                              whether it is required or not. The fact is, levees can
change as well. However, property owners may be able to
                                                              and do decay over time if not properly maintained.
take advantage of certain cost saving options available       They can also fail, or be overtopped by flood
through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).          events larger than those they were built to protect
Owners of properties that move from a high-risk zone to a
low-risk or moderate-risk zone may be eligible for re-        FEMA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are
duced insurance rates by converting to a Preferred Risk       working to identify risks associated with the Na-
Policy (PRP). A PRP covers both a structure and its con-      tion’s levees. If a levee is found to be deficient or
tents, and offers substantial savings. A PRP can be ob-       unsafe, structures located behind it will be mapped
tained for as little as $112 a year.                          into high-risk areas and flood insur-
                                                              ance will be required for most mort-
There are also ways for owners of some structures moving      gage holders. Property owners can
into high-risk zones to save. Existing policyholders may      contact their insurance agents for
be able to use the rate charged for the lower-risk zone       more information.
through a process known as grandfathering.
                                                              *BFE is the level floodwaters have a 1-percent-annual chance of
                                                              reaching in any given year.

                                                                                                                         PAGE 1
                                                                                           FOR MORE INFORMATION
If a policy is obtained before a new map becomes effec-
tive, policyholders can retain the rate associated with the                Property owners should be fully aware of their flood
previous map’s flood zone and BFE, as long as continu-                     risk and the current status of flood maps in their
                                                                           community. They can contact their local floodplain
ous coverage has been maintained. For structures built
                                                                           management officials to learn the status of local
after a FIRM was issued, insurance costs will be based on
                                                                           flood maps, or can obtain a copy of the current
the zone designation and BFE for the map in effect at the                  map at: http://www.msc.fema.gov. Home and busi-
time the structure was built (unless the new map offers a                  ness owners who do not have flood insurance
lower rate). However, policyholders must submit support-                   should contact their insurance agent to find out
ing documentation to their insurer that shows the structure                more about obtaining flood insurance or visit the
was built to conform to standards on the earlier map. Con-                 FloodSmart web site at:
tinuous coverage is not required in this case. If a structure              http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart.
was built before the community’s first FIRM was issued
and the policy was not purchased prior to the effective
date of a new map, policyholders can still save, but policy
costs will be defined by pre-FIRM rates associated with
their zone designation on the new map.
The chart below provides details on specific map situa-
tions, and how the grandfathering rule can apply.

  IF THE NEW MAP SHOWS YOUR                          ...THESE FLOOD INSURANCE                         ...AND THESE COST SAVING
         STRUCTURE IN...                                REQUIREMENTS APPLY...                           OTIONS ARE AVAILABLE.

Zones A, AE, A1-30, AH, AO, V, VE,              Flood insurance is mandatory for                 If the effective map shows the
V1-30                                           structures with mortgages from a                 structure as outside the SFHA, it may
These zones designate high-risk zones           Federally regulated lender, and is               be eligible to be grandfathered in at
known as Special Flood Hazard Areas             strongly recommended for all                     the current zone’s rate.**
(SFHAs).                                        structures.

Zones B, C, X, shaded X              Flood insurance is not required, but is                     If the current map shows the structure
These zones designate a low– to mod- recommended.                                                in a SFHA, low-cost Preferred Risk
erate-risk area.                                                                                 Policies (PRP) may be available when
                                                                                                 the new map becomes effective.
                                                                                                 Standard insurance rates here are
                                                                                                 also lower than in SFHAs.

Zone AR                                         Flood insurance is mandatory for                 The levee is being restored to provide
An area where a levee or similar                structures with mortgages from a                 sufficient flood protection, and a rate
structure is determined to no longer            Federally regulated lender, and is               similar to an X-zone rate may be avail-
provide sufficient flood protection, but        strongly recommended for all                     able. If the current map shows the
is in the process of being restored.            structures.                                      structure as outside the SFHA, it may
                                                                                                 be eligible to be grandfathered in at the
                                                                                                 current zone’s rate.**
Zone A99                                        Flood insurance is mandatory for struc-          The levee is being restored to provide
An area where a Federal flood protec-           tures with mortgages from a Federally            sufficient flood protection, and a rate
tive structure is under construction to         regulated lender, and is strongly rec-           similar to an X-zone rate is available. If
provide the necessary flood protection          ommended for all structures.                     the current map shows the structure as
standard.                                                                                        outside the SFHA, it may be eligible to
                                                                                                 be grandfathered in at the current
                                                                                                 zone’s rate.**

**The structure may be eligible for a PRP policy; however, it must be converted to a standard X-zone rated policy when the PRP renews for the
first time after the new map takes effect.

                                                                                                                               2010    PAGE 2

Preferred Risk Policy Eligibility Extension
A New Low-Cost Flood Insurance Option for You
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) introduces a new flood insurance rating option for the National
Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help reduce the financial burden placed on property owners whose buildings are
newly mapped into a high-risk flood area.
Upon a request from the President, Congress appropriated funds in 2003 and directed FEMA to update the nation’s flood
hazard maps. This effort (known as Flood Map Modernization) used the latest data and technology to identify
communities’ current flood risks nationwide. As a result, many property owners have found that their risk of flooding has
changed. If a building in a moderate-to-low risk flood zone was newly mapped into a high-risk Special Flood Hazard
Area (SFHA), most lenders would require flood insurance. While most property owners would be able to buy a lower-
cost Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) before the new flood maps became effective, the policy would have to then be converted
to a more expensive standard-rated policy at subsequent renewals. Recognizing the financial burden this places on
affected property owners, FEMA is extending the eligibility of writing the lower-cost PRP for two years after a revised
flood map’s effective date. 
For policies effective on or after January 1, 2011, FEMA is applying the two-year PRP eligibility extension for buildings
affected by map changes since October 1, 2008.
Affected Buildings
Buildings that have been newly mapped into high-risk flood zones (i.e., zones beginning with ‘A’ or ‘V’) due to a map
revision on or after October 1, 2008, and before January 1, 2011, are eligible for a PRP for two policy years effective
between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2012. So, policies issued as standard-rated policies or converted to standard-
rated policies following a map change on or after October 1, 2008, could be converted to the lower-cost PRP for two years
beginning on the first renewal effective on or after January 1, 2011. Buildings meeting these same conditions that were
not previously insured may be issued a new PRP on or after January 1, 2011, during this same eligibility period.

Buildings that are newly mapped into a high-risk flood zone due to a map revision on or after January 1, 2011, are eligible
for a lower-cost PRP for two policy years from the map revision date.

Buildings meeting the above requirements must also meet the NFIP’s PRP loss history requirements. At the end of the
extended eligibility period, policies on these buildings must be written as standard-rated policies.
The PRP extension provides significant savings to property owners. A property owner who has a home without a
basement will pay $343 for $200,000 in building and $80,000 in contents coverage for a PRP versus more than $1,400 for
a standard-rated policy in an X zone, and even more if rated in a high-risk flood zone (i.e., A zone)…a savings of more
than $1,000+ a year.

This extension also provides you with additional time to save and prepare for paying for the increase in premium in two
years, as well as more time for your community to upgrade or improve any flood control structures to meet FEMA
standards and reduce the flood risk. Sound floodplain management will help reduce the financial impact on you in the
long term while making your community safer to live and work in.

For more information about this option, contact your local insurance agent or floodplain administrator. Additional
information can also be found at www.FloodSmart.gov/PRPExtension.

                                                                                                          OCTOBER 2010
                                  Flood Insurance Fact Sheet

                                                    National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

                                                    Floods occur more than any other disaster in the United States. Due to
                                                    the frequency of flood events and large numbers of claims, flood
                                                    insurance is rarely financed by private insurance companies. Flood
                                                    insurance is underwritten by the Federal government through the
                                                    National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

                                                    The NFIP is a voluntary program offered to communities impacted by
                                                    flood hazards. To participate in the program, communities must agree
                                                    to meet minimum flood damage protection and reduction
requirements established by the Federal government. All residents in a community may purchase federally backed flood
insurance even if the resident doesn’t live in a high risk flood zone. Central Point participates in the NFIP.

Flood Insurance Required for High Risk Properties

If you live in a high risk flood zone, flood insurance is required as a      PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY, PURCHASE FLOOD
condition of federally related financial assistance. This requirement                      INSURANCE
affects loans and grants for the purchase, construction, repair or
improvement of any privately or publicly owned buildings in a high        Remember that floods can occur anywhere. Most
risk flood zone, including machinery equipment, fixtures and              effective action you can take to protect your property
furnishings. Some of the affected financial assistance programs           is to insure your structure(s) and/or their contents
include, but are not limited to:                                          from flood damages. Here’s a list of what you need to
                                                                          do to purchase your policy before the next flood:
● Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs         ● Federal Housing
                                       Administration                        • Know your risk. Request a flood zone
                                                                               determination from the City’s Floodplain
● Farmers Home Administration        ● Small Business Administration
● Federal Emergency
                                                                             • Contact your insurance agent to request a
  Management Agency
How a Policy is Rated                                                        • To rate your policy, your agent will need the
                                                                               following information:
Premiums are calculated based on a variety of factors, including:                    o The type of policy requested:
building construction date, building occupancy, number of floors,                              Structure
contents location, flood risk, lowest floor location in relation to the                             • Elevation Certificate
base flood elevation or depth, the deductible chosen and the                                   Contents
amount of building and contents coverage requested.                                                 •
                                                                                     o The policy use:
Reduced Rate Policies Available for Low Risk Properties                                        Residential
                                                                                               Commercial
Nearly 25% of all flood insurance claims are received for structures
located in low to moderate risk flood zones. If you live outside a        IMPORTANT: Don’t wait for the next storm to arrive
high risk flood zone, you may qualify for a Preferred Risk Policy that    before you purchase your policy. There is a 30-day
offers rates as low as $119/year. Contact your insurance agent to         waiting period before your policy takes effect.
see if you are eligible.

       City of Central Point | 140 South 3 Street, Central Point, OR 97502 | 541.664.7602 | www.centralpointoregon.gov
Quick Guide to Understanding Flood Zones
Understanding the Basics

What are flood zones?
Flood zones are land areas identified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Each flood zone describes
that land area in terms of its risk of flooding. Everyone lives in a flood zone–it's just a question of whether you live in a
low, moderate, or high risk area.

What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
Land areas that are at high risk for flooding are called Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs), or floodplains. These areas are
indicated on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs). A home located within an SFHA has a 26 percent chance of suffering
flood damage during the term of a 30-year mortgage.

What is a Non-Special Flood Hazard Area (NSFHA)?
A Non-Special Flood Hazard Area (NSFHA) is an area that is in a moderate-to-low risk flood zone (Zones B, C, X). An
NSFHA is not in any immediate danger from flooding caused by overflowing rivers or hard rains. However, it’s important
to note that structures within a NSFHA are still at risk. In fact, one out of four floods occurs in an NSFHA!

Central Point Flood Zones Defined
The following flood zone definitions are Central Point. Flood zones that do not apply to Central Point are not defined

Flood Zone A
Areas with a 1% annual chance of flooding and a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30-year mortgage. Because
detailed analyses are not performed for such areas; no depths or base flood elevations are shown within these zones.

Flood Zone A8
These are known as numbered A Zones (e.g., A7 or A14). This is the base floodplain where the FIRM shows a BFE (old

Flood Zone AE
The base floodplain where base flood elevations are provided. AE Zones are now used on new format FIRMs instead of
A1-A30 Zones.

Flood Zone AO
River or stream flood hazard areas, and areas with a 1% or greater chance of shallow flooding each year, usually in the
form of sheet flow, with an average depth ranging from 1 to 3 feet. These areas have a 26% chance of flooding over the
life of a 30-year mortgage. Average flood depths derived from detailed analyses are shown within these zones.

Flood Zone B
Area of moderate flood hazard, usually the area between the limits of the 100-year and 500-year floods. B Zones are
also used to designate base floodplains of lesser hazards, such as areas protected by levees from 100-year flood, or
shallow flooding areas with average depths of less than one foot or drainage areas less than 1 square mile.

Flood Zone X (Un-shaded)
Area of minimal flood hazard, usually depicted on FIRMs as above the 500-year flood level. Zone C may have ponding
and local drainage problems that don't warrant a detailed study or designation as base floodplain. Zone X is the area
determined to be outside the 500-year flood.

Source: FloodSmart FAQ and FEMA Flood Zone Designations, 2010.
Help! My lender sent me a 45-day notice demanding that I purchase
flood insurance. My building is not in the flood zone. What do I do?

Federal law requires mortgage lenders to ensure that buildings that are
located in areas of special flood hazard have flood insurance. Most
lenders contract with a private flood zone determination provider who
periodically reviews the lenders mortgage portfolio against information on
FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps.

You received a letter from your lender demanding that you purchase flood
insurance within 45-days because your lender received notice from their
flood zone determination provider that your building is in a flood hazard
area. Once a lender receives such a notice, it is required to send you a
letter demanding that you purchase flood insurance or else the mortgage
provider will force place insurance. Sometimes these flood zone
determinations are incorrect. This brochure explains your options for
correcting erroneous flood zone determinations.

While there are methods to correct such errors, it is sometimes not
possible to do so within 45 days. Do not allow your mortgage lender to
force-place flood insurance. It is almost always more expensive than
what you can purchase yourself within 45 days from the National Flood
Insurance Program (NFIP). If your county recently received new Flood
Insurance Rate Maps, you may qualify for an inexpensive preferred risk
flood insurance policy even with a positive flood zone determination.
Please see the attached brochure, “Preferred Risk Policy Eligibility” for
more information.

Many insurance agents who sell homeowners insurance also sell NFIP
flood insurance. If yours does not sell flood insurance, contact
www.FloodSmart.gov (or call 1-888-379-9531) to identify an agent in
your area that does. Your insurance agent cannot change the lender’s
flood zone determination. He or she can help you get the least-cost policy
for which you qualify while you work on correcting the error. If you are
successful, NFIP may refund all or part of any premiums paid. Often,
force-placed insurance premiums can’t be refunded.
STEP 1: Gather information:

Visit or call your local planning department. Ask the floodplain manager to
look at the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map with you to verify the location
of your buildings relative to FEMA’s mapped flood hazard area. If your
building is located inside FEMA’s flood hazard area go to STEP 2;
otherwise skip to STEP 3.

STEP 2: If your building is shown to be inside the flood hazard area,
but you believe it is located on higher ground than the base flood
elevation, you will need to obtain a Letter of Map Amendment to be
removed from the flood zone.

An Elevation Certificate is necessary to pursue this option. You may be
able to obtain an existing Elevation Certificate from your city or county
floodplain manager. In many cases, however, you will need to hire a
surveyor to prepare a new one. If you need to find a surveyor, go to the
Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon website and click on the Find a
Surveyor Tab (www.plso.org). Look through the listings and select one that
lists FEMA, LOMA, or Elevation Certificates as an area of expertise.

If the Elevation Certificate shows that the lowest grade next to the building
foundation is above the base flood elevation provided by FEMA, the
surveyor can complete a Letter of Map Amendment application and send it
to FEMA. Upon FEMA approval, the building (or all or part of your parcel)
will be removed from the flood hazard area and your lender is no longer
required to demand that you purchase flood insurance. Your lender still
has the right to require flood insurance as a condition of making the
mortgage. This insurance will likely be a less costly low-risk policy.

Now skip to Step 4.

STEP 3: If your building is shown to be outside the flood hazard area
you have three options:

   1. Ask your lender to reevaluate the flood zone determination. You
      may be asked to provide your lender with evidence that your
      building is located outside the flood hazard zone.

       Suitable evidence includes a map or plot of the building location
       relative to the flood hazard area provided by you city/county
       floodplain manager, or a Google Earth screenshot that shows
       FEMA flood zones in relation to an aerial photograph of your
       building. You can load many (but not all) of FEMA’s flood zone
       boundaries into Google Earth by visiting the FEMA Map Service

       Center (www.msc.fema.gov) and clicking through to the “View the
       NFHL on Google Earth” links located on the right side of the web

   2. Ask your lender to join you in obtaining a “Letter of Determination
      Review” or LODR from FEMA. The lender must agree to follow this
      process, and FEMA requires an $80 fee to process the request.
      You will need to submit to FEMA the “Standard Flood Hazard
      Determination” form provided by the lender. Please see the
      attached instructions from FEMA’s website for further information.

       Because of the fee required to process the request, borrowers
       should not consider this alternative unless they have already had
       the subject building plotted on the current Flood Insurance Rate
       Map (FIRM) and are certain it is wholly outside the SFHA. It is
       important to keep in mind that if any portion of a building falls within
       the SFHA, the flood insurance purchase requirement will apply.

       A LODR is a one time determination. If you refinance you may need
       to go through this process again.

   3. Prepare a “Letter of Map Amendment – Out as Shown. This
      process requires no payment to FEMA and it makes a permanent
      notation to the Flood Insurance Rate Map that your building is
      located outside of FEMA’s flood hazard zone. Please see the
      attached instructions for further information on how to prepare a
      LOMA-OAS application.

STEP 4: Evaluate your residual flood risk.

Pay a visit to your insurance agent after you receive a LOMA, LODR, or
LOMA-OAS. You may qualify for a full or partial refund or a reduction in

While you are there, discuss with your agent whether it makes sense to
protect your investment against the possibility of flooding. FEMA Flood
Insurance Rate Maps reflect the 1% annual flood height and inundation
area. More severe floods do occur. Indeed, your lender may still require
you to have flood insurance to protect their investment. It is still worth the
effort to obtain a LOMA, LODR or LOMA-OAS, as these often will result in
lower insurance premiums and fewer development restrictions.

Letter of Map Amendment - Out As Shown (OAS) Instructions
LOMA-OAS is a determination made by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for
the property and/or buildings as to whether it is located within the Special Flood Hazard Area
(SFHA). Only use this method if it is clear, visually, that the structure in not in the SFHA.

Obtain MT-EZ form Found on FEMA’s site at www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/dl_mt-ez.shtm (also available in

Documents Needed to Submit with MT-EZ Form:
   1. Deed Copy of property deed can be obtained from the Register of Deeds
   2. FIRMette Created at http://www.msc.fema.gov/, click on “FIRMette Tutorial” at the bottom of the screen or
      contact the local Flood Plain Administrator

   3. Map Obtained from community’s GIS department or a website like Google Maps
Instructions for Completing MT-EZ Form:
Page 1 of 3 – Section A:

   (1) Write "OAS" after the word LOMA in the fourth box down from the top.

   (2) In the next box down, answer question 1 as “No”.
   (3) Under question 2 write "See Attached”

   (4) Under question 3, check the third box "A structure on your property? What is the date of
       Construction?" and write " NA LOMA-OAS" at end of question

   (5) Fill out the last box on page one of Section A, if no fax num ber write NA.
Page 2 of 3 – Section B:

   (6) Write "OAS" after "Structure located on natural grade (LOMA)".
   (7) Write "OAS" after "Legally recorded parcel of land, or portion thereof (LOMA) ".

   (8) 1. PROPERTY DESCRIPTION (Lot and Block Number, Tax Parcel Number, Legal Description,
       etc.): Provide either the recorded legal description or the parcel identification number.

   (9) 2. BUILDING INFORMATION (including Apt. Unit, Suite, and/or Bldg. No.): Provide Address.
       Under What is the type of construction? check box "Other (explain)" and write "NA LOMA-OAS".

   (10) 3. GEOGRAPHIC COORDINATE DATA. Must provide the latitude and longitude for the most
       “upstream edge of the structure” (top line); and the most “upstream edge of the property” (bottom
       line). For each entry, check the appropriate horizontal datum box (NAD83 or NAD27). A hand-held
       GPS unit, Google Earth, survey, etc. can be used to establish the latitude and longitude or you can
       contact the community’s floodplain administrator for help.
          a. In the “NFIP Community Num ber” box, indicate the community num ber of the community in
             which your property is located (found on the FIRMette):

        b. In the “Map & Panel Num ber” box, indicate the panel number of the FIRM m ap containing
           your property. You can obtain the map panel number from the FIRMette map. In the sam ple
           provided above, the Map & Panel number is 20177C0193E.
        c. In the “Base Flood Elevation (BFE)” box, write "NA LOMA-OAS".
        d. In the “Source of BFE” box, write "NA LOMA-OAS".
          a. Cross-out the first box and write somewhere in box "LOMA-OAS"
          b. In the Certifier’s Nam e box, write name of property owner.
          c. In the License No box, write "LOMA-OAS".
         d. In the Expiration Date box, write "LOMA-OAS".
         e.   In the   Com pany Name box, write "LOMA-OAS".
         f.   In the   Telephone No. box, write property owner's phone number (including area code).
         g.   In the   Fax No. box, write property owner's fax num ber, or if no fax number, then write NA.
         h.   In the   Signature box, property owner signs.
         i.   In the   Date box, write date of application submittal.
         j.   In the   Seal box, mark out with an "X" and write "LOMA-OAS".

Page 3 of 3 – Mailing Instructions:

 (13) Mail the MT-EZ form, a copy of the recorded Deed, property m ap highlighting subject property with
     floodplain delineated, and FIRMette m ap obtained under Documents Needed (see previous page) to
     the address located on the third page of the MT-EZ form.
     DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY - FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY                                                                   O.M.B. NO. 1660-0015
      APPLICATION FORM FOR SINGLE RESIDENTIAL LOT OR STRUCTURE AMENDMENTS TO                                                                Expires February 28, 2014

                                                     PAPERWORK BURDEN DISCLOSURE NOTICE
Public reporting burden for this data collection is estimated to average 2.4 hours per response. The burden estimate includes the time for reviewing instructions,
searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, and completing and submitting this form. This collection of information is required to
obtain or retain benefits. You are not required to respond to this collection of information unless a valid OMB control number is displayed on this form. Send
comments regarding the accuracy of the burden estimate and any suggestions for reducing the burden to: Information Collections Management, Department of
Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1800 South Bell Street, Arlington, VA 20598-3005, Paperwork Reduction Project (1660-0015) NOTE: Do
not send your completed form to this address.

This form should be used to request that the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) remove a single structure or legally
recorded parcel of land or portion thereof, described by metes and bounds, certified by a registered professional engineer or licensed land surveyor, from a
designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), an area that would be inundated by the flood having a 1%-chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year (base
flood), via Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA). It shall not be used for requests submitted by developers, for requests involving multiple structures or lots, for
property in alluvial fan areas, for property located within the regulatory floodway, or requests involving the placement of fill. (NOTE: Use MT-1 forms for such
requests). Fill is defined as material from any source (including the subject property) placed that raises the grade to or above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). The
common construction practice of removing unsuitable existing material (topsoil) and backfilling with select structural material is not considered the placement of fill if
the practice does not alter the existing (natural grade) elevation, which is at or above the BFE. Also, fill that is placed before the date of the first National Flood
Insurance Program (NFIP) map showing the area in an SFHA is considered natural grade.

                               A letter from DHS-FEMA stating that an existing structure or parcel of land that has not been elevated by
         LOMA:                 fill would not be inundated by the base flood.

A – This section may be completed by the property owner or by the property owner’s agent. In order to process your request, all information on
this form must be completed in its entirety, unless stated as optional. Incomplete submissions will result in processing delays.
1.   Has fill been placed on your property to raise ground that was previously below the BFE?

         No       Yes – If Yes, STOP!! – You must complete the MT-1 application forms; visit
                                          or call the FEMA Map Information eXchange toll free: (877-FEMA MAP) (877-336-2627)
2.   Legal description of Property (Lot, Block, Subdivision or abbreviated description from the Deed) and street address of the Property (required):

3.   Are you requesting that a flood zone determination be completed for (check one):

           A structure on your property? What is the date of construction? _______________ (MM/YYYY)
           A portion of your legally recorded property? (A certified metes and bounds description and map of the area to be removed, certified by a
           registered professional engineer or licensed land surveyor, are required. For the preferred format of metes and bounds descriptions,
           please refer to the MT-EZ Instructions.)
           Your entire legally recorded property?

All documents submitted in support of this request are correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any false statement may be
punishable by fine or imprisonment under Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 1001.

Applicant’s Name (required):                                                       E-mail address (optional) (    By checking here you may receive correspondence
                                                                                   electronically at the email address provided):

Mailing Address (include Company name if applicable) (required):                   Daytime Telephone No. (required):

                                                                                   Fax No. (optional):

Signature of Applicant (required)                                                                                Date (required)

                                                                            End of Section A

DHS - FEMA Form 086-0-22, FEB 11                                          MT-EZ Form                                                                        Page 1 of 3
B – This section must be completed by a registered professional engineer or licensed land surveyor. Incomplete submissions will result in processing delays.
      NOTE: If the request is to have a flood zone determination completed for the structure, and an Elevation Certificate has been completed for this property, it
      may be submitted in lieu of Section B. If the request is to have a flood zone determination completed for the entire legally recorded property, or a portion
      thereof, the lowest elevation on the lot or described portion must be provided in Section B.
Applicable Regulations
The regulations pertaining to LOMAs are presented in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) regulations under Title 44, Chapter I, Parts 70 and 72, Code of
Federal Regulations. The purpose of Part 70 is to provide an administrative procedure whereby DHS-FEMA will review information submitted by an owner or lessee of
property who believes that his or her property has been inadvertently included in a designated SFHA. The necessity of Part 70 is due in part to the technical difficulty of
accurately delineating the SFHA boundary on an NFIP map. Part 70 procedures shall not apply if the topography has been altered to raise the original ground to or
above the BFE since the effective date of the first NFIP map [e.g., a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) or Flood Hazard Boundary Map (FHBM)] showing the property to
be within the SFHA.
Basis of Determination
DHS-FEMA’s determination as to whether a structure or legally recorded parcel of land, or portion thereof, described by metes and bounds, may be removed from the
SFHA will be based upon a comparison of the Base (1%-annual-chance) Flood Elevation (BFE) with certain elevation information. The elevation information required is
dependent upon what is to be removed from the SFHA. For Zones A and AO, please refer to Page 7 of the MT-EZ Form Instructions for information regarding BFE
development in those areas and supporting data requirements.
Determination Requested For: (check one)                                    Elevation Information Required: (complete Item 5)
                                                                            Lowest Adjacent Grade to the structure (the elevation of the lowest ground
     Structure located on natural grade (LOMA)
                                                                            touching the structure including attached patios, stairs, deck supports or garages)

                                                                            Elevation of the lowest ground on the parcel or within the portion of land to be
     Legally recorded parcel of land, or portion thereof (LOMA)
                                                                            removed from the SFHA


Property Description (Lot and Block Number, Tax Parcel Number, or Abbreviated Description from the Deed, etc.):

Street Address (including Apt. Unit, Suite, and/or Bldg. No.):

What is the type of construction? (check one)                 crawl space             slab on grade              basement/enclosure
     other (explain):

Please provide the Latitude and Longitude of the most upstream edge of the structure (in decimal degrees to nearest fifth decimal place)
Indicate Datum:     WGS84        NAD83      NAD27 Lat.          .        Long.         .
Please provide the Latitude and Longitude of the most upstream edge of the property (in decimal degrees to nearest fifth decimal place)
Indicate Datum:     WGS84        NAD83      NAD27 Lat.          .        Long.         .

NFIP Community Number:            Map Panel Number:                           Base Flood Elevation (BFE):            Source of BFE:

•   Lowest Adjacent Grade (LAG) to the structure (to the nearest 0.1 foot or meter)          .      ft. (m)
•   Elevation of the lowest grade on the property; or within metes and bounds area (to the nearest 0.1 foot or meter)            .     ft. (m)
•   Indicate the datum (if different from NGVD 29 or NAVD 88 attach datum conversion)        NGVD 29        NAVD 88       Other (add attachment)
•   Has FEMA identified this area as subject to land subsidence or uplift?     No      Yes (provide date of current releveling):
This certification is to be signed and sealed by a licensed land surveyor, registered professional engineer, or architect authorized by law to certify elevation information.
All documents submitted in support of this request are correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any false statement may be punishable by fine or
imprisonment under Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 1001.

Certifier’s Name:                                         License No.:                               Expiration Date:

Company Name:                                             Telephone No.:                             Fax No.:
                                                                                                                                                   Seal (optional)

Signature:                                                                                           Date:

DHS - FEMA Form 086-0-22, FEB 11                                           MT-EZ Form                                                                         Page 2 of 3
In addition to this form (MT-EZ), please complete the checklist below. ALL requests must include one copy of the following:

         Copy of the effective FIRM panel on which the structure and/or property location has been accurately plotted

         Copy of the Subdivision Plat Map (with recordation data and stamp of the Recorder’s Office)
         Copy of the Property Deed (with recordation data and stamp of the Recorder’s Office), accompanied by a tax assessor’s map or other certified map
           showing the surveyed location of the property relative to local streets and watercourses. The map should include at least one street intersection that is
           shown on the FIRM panel.

         Please include a map scale and North arrow on all maps submitted.

           Please do not submit original documents. Please retain a copy of all submitted documents for your records.

           DHS-FEMA encourages the submission of all required data in a digital format (e.g. scanned documents and images on Compact Disc [CD]). Digital
           submissions help to further DHS-FEMA’s Digital Vision and also may facilitate the processing of your request.

     Incomplete submissions will result in processing delays. For additional information regarding this form, including where to obtain the supporting documents
     listed above, please refer to the MT-EZ Form Instructions located at
     Mail your request to:

                                                               LOMC CLEARINGHOUSE
                                                          7390 COCA COLA DRIVE, SUITE 204
                                                                HANOVER, MD 21076
                                                                Attn.: LOMA Manager

                                                         FEMA REGIONS

DHS - FEMA Form 086-0-22, FEB 11                                         MT-EZ Form                                                                       Page 3 of 3

To top