updated January 2002 The Campus Two tours of the campus are given daily, Monday through Saturday. For more information, please call the admission office at 800.869.7223 or 912.525.5100. S Oglethorpe House Built in 1966 Turner House Built in 2001 Streamliner Diner Built in 1938 avannah College of Art and Design is proud of its Casey House Built in 1896 Hamilton Hall Built in 1894 Formerly a motor inn, Oglethorpe House is now a resi- The college’s first newly constructed building, this coedu- This vintage diner, built in Worcester, Mass., features orig- leadership role in preserving historic Savannah, a Formerly a popular neighborhood confectionery, Casey Commanding a prime bluff position amid the historic dence hall featuring double occupancy rooms with a pri- cational five-story residence hall accommodates approxi- inal mauve marble counter tops, stained glass, tile floor city graced with one of the largest urban historic House was renovated to become the college’s bed and seaport buildings overlooking the Savannah River, the vate bath in each, a pool, sun deck and full-service dining mately 500 residents and features a fitness center, a con- and mahogany booths. In 1990, the college was pre- landmark districts in the nation. Since its opening in breakfast inn. The 10,800-square-foot red brick, balconied minimally ornamented and functionally designed room. This coeducational residence hall also houses the venience store and a satellite branch of the campus card sented with an International Deco Defender Award by 1979, the college has grown to occupy more than 1 mil- building, topped with a gold-finished jester’s cap, now Hamilton Hall originally provided space for a secondary offices of student activities and student involvement. office. Rooms are double occupancy and have private the Art Deco Societies of America for the acquisition and lion square feet in more than 40 buildings throughout features six bedroom suites with full baths, along with power station and warehouse. The 49,373-square-foot baths. Turner House is adjacent to the Weston House and renovation of the Streamliner. The diner seats 36 cus- Savannah’s historic and Victorian downtown area. The an additional bath, full kitchen, two parlor rooms and facility today houses the video/film department. Orleans Hall Built in 1937 Dyson House complex, which features a full-service din- college’s adaptive reuse of these remarkable structures tomers and provides assorted breakfast items as well as dining room. The college’s outstanding rehabilitation of Harris Hall Built in 1840 Orleans Hall once housed the offices of J.C. Lewis Ford. ing room, sun deck and pool. has helped preserve an important part of Savannah sandwiches, snacks and beverages. Casey House, which was once listed among the Historic This 6,000-square-foot facility houses the offices of aca- The 4,475-square-foot building now serves as the col- while providing the college with a unique campus that Wallin Hall Built in 1912 Savannah Foundation’s Top 10 Endangered Buildings, was demic services, graduate studies and undergraduate studies. lege’s special events facility. serves as a living laboratory for the study of art, architec- Designed by architects Henrik Wallin and Edwin Young in recognized in 1997 by the Georgia Trust for Historic Pepe Hall Built in 1906 ture and design. Preservation. Henry Hall Built in 1892 the Prairie style, Wallin Hall features buff brick sloping GALLERIES The original Barnard Street Elementary School of 1854 Originally Henry Street Elementary School, this building was walls, extremely deep eaves and an ornamental bell In recognition of its continuing commitment to preserve The college operates on-campus galleries that feature Charlton Hall Built in 1854 designed by William Gibbons Preston and its construction was used by Gen. Sherman's Union Army as a military tower. A former elementary school, the 25,887-square-foot Savannah’s architectural heritage, the Savannah College of rotating displays in a variety of media. Works by artists of Located on Pulaski Square, this former private residence was supervised by Gottfried L. Norrman. The three-story, hospital during the Civil War. On this site, a new school building now houses the foundation studies department. Art and Design was presented with a National Honor international acclaim, such as Jasper Johns, Andy Warhol, and boarding house includes the offices of alumni serv- 28,295-square-foot, red brick Queen Anne Revival style struc- was erected in 1906, using the same floor plan that Award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The Weston House Built in 1972 David Salle, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Robert Mapplethorpe, ices and institutional advancement. ture features lavish terra cotta ornamentation, a gabled cen- Gottfried L. Norrman employed in the construction of Historic Savannah Foundation, the Georgia Trust for Historic This former hotel serves as a coeducational residence Bettye Saar, Nancy Grossman, Christo and Jean Claude, tral pavilion, a monumental arched entrance and dual stair- Anderson Street School. Pepe Hall, a two-story, 20,759- Preservation, the Art Deco Societies of America, the Corbin Hall Built in 1839 hall, forming an extensive complex with neighboring Romare Bearden, Robert Rauschenberg, Bill Viola, Helen cases. Henry Hall houses the fashion and fibers departments. square-foot Mediterranean Revival style building, has a International Downtown Association and the American Donated to the college by the Savannah Gas Company, Dyson House. Rooms are double occupancy and have pri- Frankenthaler, Laurie Simmons, Adrian Piper, Jim Dine, battered brick basement and a central tapering bell tower Institute of Architects have also recognized the college. this 2,900-square-foot former restaurant features com- Jen Library Built in 1925 vate baths. Weston House’s amenities include Café James Surls, Sandy Skoglund, Audrey Flack and Dale above the entrance portico. Named for Charles W. and puter labs for postproduction classes and houses Formerly the Maas Brothers department store, this 85,000- SCAD—a full-service dining room, a sun deck and pool, Chihuly, have been exhibited at the college. All exhibi- Afifi Amphitheater Built in 1996 Marie H. Pepe, members of the college’s Board of Trustees, Satellite, the college’s interactive design and Web main- square-foot building is one of the largest art and design and a campus package center. tions are free and open to the public. Located in the Pei Ling Chan Garden for the Arts, the Afifi the facility houses the architectural history and art his- tenance office. university libraries in the country. A monumental glass tory departments, as well as the college’s slide library. Amphitheater hosts live musical and theatrical perform- staircase is central to the library’s design, and floor-to-ceil- Alexander Hall Galleries ances, community events and receptions. Crites Hall Built in 1906 ing windows located at each end of the building allow sun- Poetter Hall Built in 1892 AUXILIARY SERVICES Home of the painting department, and housing approxi- Home to the media and performing arts and liberal arts light to brighten comfortable, informal study areas on all Designed by William Gibbons Preston as the Savannah mately 90 private graduate studios, Alexander Hall hosts Alexander Hall Built in the 1940s Bobbie’s Diner Built in 1952 departments, Crites Hall once housed Kahn & Co., a three floors. The state-of-the-art library is equipped with Volunteer Guards Armory, the 36,248-square-foot open studio nights, giving students an opportunity to Once a grocery store and a beverage sales and service Bobbie’s serves a full breakfast menu as well as lunch nationwide linen distributor. The building, named for approximately 3,000 computer network connections Romanesque Revival building features deep arches, mas- show and sell their current work. center, this 48,000-square-foot building houses the favorites including hamburgers, French fries, milkshakes Tom Crites, a member of the college's Board of Trustees, located in the many study carrels, group study rooms and sive corner towers and ornate wrought iron balconies painting department and sculpture and printmaking pro- and salads in an atmosphere reminiscent of the early Bergen Hall Galleries now includes classroom space, a dance studio and the multimedia classrooms. A 12 x 10-foot video wall flashes overlooking beautiful Madison Square. The building, grams and features classrooms, critique areas, graduate 1950s. The diner was transported from Mountain View, R.I., Bergen Hall includes three exceptional spaces particu- Mondanaro Theater, named for Board of Trustees mem- images of college events and student work. The library, which originally contained a drill hall, ballroom, large painting studios and exhibition spaces. and seats 41 people on bar stools and in booths in a decor larly well suited to exhibiting photography work. ber Don Mondanaro. named for SCAD benefactors Jim Jen and the late Lancy Jen, company rooms and a club for the guards, has been con- American Building Built in the 1800s also houses the college’s Writing Center and Red Gallery. accentuated by stainless steel and blue and white tile. verted into classrooms and offices, housing the depart- Eichberg Hall Gallery This 10,208-square-foot Neoclassical Revival style build- Dyson House Built in 1972 ments of graphic design and admission. The college’s first Ex Libris Built in 1894 Home of the architecture, historic preservation, interior This former hotel serves as a residence hall, forming an Kanter Hall Built in 1853 ing houses the offices of student services and informa- building, Poetter Hall is named in honor of two of the col- Typical of a turn-of-the-century mercantile design, the extensive complex with neighboring Weston House. The This 13,783-square-foot, five-bay Italianate brick and stucco design and furniture design departments, Eichberg Hall also tion management and technology, as well as the lege’s founders, May Poetter and the late Paul Poetter. former Salvage and Sales building exemplifies industrial coeducational residence hall complex features Café structure, with a second-floor balcony of intricate iron- contains a second floor gallery that exhibits student work. International Student Center. design characterized by huge interior spaces, massive SCAD—a full-service dining room—and a sun deck and work, has survived the Civil War, fires, earthquakes and Propes Hall Built in 1895 Exhibit A Gallery Anderson Hall Built in 1896 floods. Designed by John S. Norris, the building was origi- wood beams and an interior open stairwell. The 24,060- pool. Rooms are double occupancy and have private Formerly the Citizens Bank building, Propes Hall was the The college’s original exhibition space, this gallery prima- Designed by Gottfried L. Norrman as a blend of the nally a private residence. Among its outstanding architec- square-foot, three story red-brick building serves as the baths. The Student Media Center and district, the college’s first building in Savannah to be completely fireproof. The rily showcases work by national and international artists. Classical and Colonial Revival styles, the 20,478-square- tural features is a delicate, unsupported spiral staircase source for college textbooks, art supplies, framing, gifts student-run newspaper, also are located in Dyson House. beams and supports are made of iron, the walls and foot, two-story ornate red brick building sits atop a that leads to a cupola. Kanter Hall houses sequential art and college memorabilia. The coffee bar offers a full floors are made of terra cotta, and marble wainscoting Hamilton Hall Gallery stone/granite foundation and originally served as Eichberg Hall Built in 1887 and illustration classrooms, computer labs and offices. selection of sandwiches, soups and pastries, as well as and floors adorn the first level. The building, designed by Located in the video/film department building, the Anderson Street Elementary School. Today it houses the This 48,658-square-foot, three-story Romanesque style coffee, tea and other beverages. Keys Hall Built in 1870 Gottfried L. Norrman, was constructed by M.T. Lewman, gallery hosts exhibitions of faculty and student work, as foundation studies program, a curriculum of basic draw- building, designed by Alfred Eichberg and Calvin Fay, fea- Gryphon Tea Room Built in 1926 well as traveling exhibitions. A residence through the early 1900s, the building was pur- with finishing touches and carvings crafted by an artisan ing and design studio courses required of students in all tures loft offices, tall windows with stained glass decora- The Gryphon Tea Room, housed in an adapted turn-of- chased by Savannah Broadcasting Co. in 1939 and served from the Biltmore House in Asheville, N.C. The 13,250- majors. A former cafetorium, added to the existing struc- tion, and red brick and terra cotta ornamentation. Part of the-century pharmacy, serves tea, coffee, sodas and light May Poetter Gallery as the offices and studios of local CBS affiliate WTOC-TV square-foot building, named for Theodore J. Propes, a ture in the 1960s, is home to the metals and jewelry the original Central of Georgia Railroad complex, Eichberg meals. Students, as well as locals and tourists, relax in the The May Poetter Gallery, located in Poetter Hall, features for the next five decades. Now fully restored, Keys Hall charter trustee of the college, houses business offices, the department. Hall stands in front of outbound freight warehouses now tea room while admiring the antique furnishings. a rotating sample of outstanding, award-winning stu- houses the president’s office, administrative offices, and offices of financial aid, the registrar and the bursar, and used as construction shops and design studios. The hall Fourteen original stained glass windows with a mortar dent work from the college’s various major programs. Bergen Hall Built in 1926 the communications and human resources departments. the campus card office. houses the departments of architecture, furniture design, and pestle motif convey the original purpose of the shop. The gallery is named in honor of May Poetter, a founder This classic early 20th-century loft building features large historic preservation and interior design. Kiah Hall Built in 1856 Pulaski House Built in 1914 The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1913. and trustee of the college, who served for many years as industrial sash windows, exposed timber structure, interior This three-story Greek Revival building, with a design tradi- Three widows once lived in this former residence on vice president for admission. brick walls and ornamental cast-stone details. The 41,950- Forsyth House Built in the 1910s PhotoWorks tionally credited to Augustus Schwaab, features a Doric Barnard Street. In time, the home was torn down and the square-foot, five-story atrium building, designed by Cletus The units in this apartment-style, coeducational resi- PhotoWorks is an in-house processing lab and photo sup- Pei Ling Chan Garden for the Arts colonnade, portico ceiling paintings and a large ceiling Savannah chapter of the Jewish Educational Alliance was Bergen, comfortably houses the photography department dence hall, located across the street from Forsyth Park, medallion on the second floor. The structure was part of the erected in 1914. In 1957 the Tabernacle Baptist Church ply store located in Bergen Hall, which also houses the Representing international influences, the garden includes and features classrooms, studios, darkrooms, three art gal- accommodate up to four students each and feature a pri- Central of Georgia Railroad complex, housing administrative bought the building, and in 1960 the Women’s RED photography department. PhotoWorks offers film, papers African-American, Asian, English and French sections. The leries, and a photo supply lab and processing shop. vate bath and kitchenette. offices. The 16,968-square-foot building, named after the Shield Lodge of the Salvation Army converted the facility and chemistry, as well as transparency and color negative Afifi Amphitheater in the garden hosts musical and the- processing to students and the community. late Dr. Virginia Jackson Kiah, a portraitist and longtime into a shelter for homeless women and children. Now an atrical performances, community events and receptions. Briney Hall Built in 1919 Gaston House Built in 1980 member of the college’s Board of Trustees, houses the Earle apartment-style residence hall for female students, During the Siege of Savannah in 1779, a cannonball from The units in this apartment-style, coeducational resi- North Sheds Built 1853 Pinnacle Gallery W. Newton Center for British American Studies. Pulaski House accommodates up to four students in each Count D’Estaing’s French fleet pierced the weather dence hall accommodate up to four students each and These pre-Civil War railroad warehouses once served as This gallery is adjacent to Casey House and provides an unit and features private baths and kitchenettes. boarding of a home on St. James Square. In 1845 the feature a kitchenette and two and one-half private baths. Norris Hall Built in 1858 storage areas for merchants and were later used as stor- interesting store-front style venue. house was sold, moved to what is now 37 Martin Luther Prominent architect John S. Norris designed this age by grain and wholesale companies. The National Habersham Hall Built in 1887 Trustees Theater Built in 1946 Rapid Transit Gallery King Jr. Blvd., and converted into a wagon and carriage restrained Greek Revival style building with an enclosed Historic Landmark structure is not entirely renovated, but Designed by Howell and Tucker as the Weis Theater, this shop complex. In 1919 the complex was razed, and a new Designed by Harry P. and Kenneth McDonald, this three- garden to serve as a home for elderly widows and unmar- does house the college’s construction/maintenance shops. This Bohemian-style gallery, located in the basement of Art Moderne style, 28,296-square-foot building features two-story building was constructed on the site, featuring story, stucco Moorish Revival style building, with its dis- ried women. Two stories stand over a rusticated first floor Poetter Hall, exhibits graduate student thesis shows. streamlined interior walls and conical columns concealing Savannah Cinema Post Built in 1960 a marble replica of the place where the cannonball tinctive onion-shaped dome, once served as the Chatham with an exterior highlighted by a pedimented central bay. dramatic recessed lighting. The state-of-the-art theater Housed in the former offices of Stage Front Lighting, Red Gallery struck the original house. The 23,600-square-foot build- County jail. Consisting of 42,884-square-feet, Habersham The 14,040-square-foot building now houses the com- seats 1,100 patrons, operates year-round as a large venue Savannah Cinema Post provides industry standard post- Red Gallery is a contemporary retail gallery that features ing, which at one time housed a saloon, is named in Hall now houses the college’s athletics department, puter art department. To accommodate the department’s for the media and performing arts department, among production services to students and professional film- the work of nationally known artists, along with some of honor of Nancy Briney, a contributor to the college’s fash- career planning and placement office, and English as a rapid growth, a larger facility—a 165,000-square-foot for- others, and offers lectures, live performances and films. makers. SCAD’s most talented alumni. ion program. The building is currently under renovation. Second Language program. mer carriage factory and warehouse—is under renovation. D35884 • 01.02 Campus Weston House Distribution Residence Hall Center Café SCAD 22 E. Lathrop Ave. Campus Package Center 0.8 mile west of Fahm Street Alexander Hall Dyson House First block left off Painting Department Turner House Residence Hall Bay Street Sculpture and Residence Hall Computer Lab Printmaking Fitness Center district Programs Convenience Store Student Media Center Fahm Hall Graduate Painting Product Design Department Studios Campus Card Office School of Building North Sheds Arts Fabrication Sheds under development Savannah Computer Art Cinema Post Department Expansion under development * Crites Hall Media and Performing Arts and Briney Hall * Liberal Arts Departments under development Pei Ling Chan Mondanaro Theater * Garden for the Arts Eichberg Hall Ex Libris Kiah Hall Bergen Hall Hamilton Hall Video/Film Architecture, Bookstore Earle W. Newton Center for Photography Department Department Afifi Amphitheater * Furniture Design, Historic Preservation, Coffee Bar British American Studies Gift Shop PhotoWorks Galleries Pei Ling Chan Gallery and Interior Design under development Departments Savannah Civic Center Charlton Hall Alumni Services Orleans Hall Institutional Advancement Special Events Facility Oglethorpe House Forsyth House Residence Hall Residence Hall Dining Room Snack Bar Pepe Hall Student Activities Art History and Student Streamliner The Campus Architectural History Involvement Diner Departments Campus Slide Library Pulaski House Safety Residence Hall Henry Hall Fashion and Fibers Gryphon Departments Tea Room Campus Harris Hall Printing/ Academic Services Publications Academic Advising Undergraduate Studies Graduate Studies Kanter Hall Two tours of the campus are given daily, Monday through Saturday. Illustration and Club SCAD Sequential Art Poetter Hall Fitness Center For more information, please call the admission office at 800.869.7223 Departments Admission Welcome Center Propes Hall American Bldg. or 912.525.5100. Graphic Design Department Bursar Student Services May Poetter Gallery Financial Aid International Exhibit A Gallery www.scad.edu Rapid Transit Gallery Registrar Student Center Campus Card Office Information Gaston House Residence Hall * Management Drayton Hall and Technology P = parking = one-way street under development Jen Library Trustees Keys Hall Red Gallery Theater President’s Office Writing Center Administrative Offices Multimedia Classrooms Communications Memorial Human Resources Student Health Casey House Clinic Guest House Pinnacle Wallin Hall Gallery Habersham Hall Foundation Studies Athletics Department Bobbie’s Career Planning and Placement Diner English as a Second Language Anderson Hall Foundation Studies and Metals and Jewelry Departments Norris Hall Computer Art Department *under development P = Parking Corbin Hall Computer Labs Satellite Admission Center and American Building Bobbie’s Diner Casey House Crites Hall Exhibit A Gallery Forsyth House Hamilton Hall Kanter Hall Memorial Student Oglethorpe House Pepe Hall Poetter Hall Red Gallery Streamliner Diner Wallin Hall May Poetter Gallery 7 Drayton St. 1402 Habersham St. 318 E. Liberty St. 217 Martin Luther 340 Bull St. 713 & 715 Barnard St. 522 Indian St. 2 and 4 E. Jones St. Health Clinic 201 W. Oglethorpe Ave. 212 W. Taylor St. 342 Bull St. 201 E. Broughton St. 120 W. Henry St. 312 E. 37th St. 342 Bull St. King Jr. Blvd. 232 E. Broughton St. Anderson Hall Campus Printing/ Charlton Hall Ex Libris Bookstore Gaston House Harris Hall Keys Hall Orleans Hall PhotoWorks Propes Hall Savannah Cinema Post Student Media Center Weston House Afifi Amphitheater 412 E. Anderson St. Publications 201 W. Charlton St. Dyson House 228 Martin Luther 101 E. Gaston St. 26 W. Harris St. 516 Abercorn St. Mondanaro Theater 201 Barnard St. 101 Martin Luther 15 Drayton St. 528 Indian St. 121 W. Boundary St. 231 W. Boundary St. 324 Martin Luther 345 Bull St. 121 W. Boundary St. King Jr. Blvd. 217 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Bergen Hall Club SCAD Gryphon Tea Room Henry Hall Kiah Hall Pei Ling Chan Pulaski House School of Building Trustees Theater King Jr. Blvd. King Jr. Blvd. 101 Martin Luther Campus Safety 7 E. Congress St. Eichberg Hall Fahm Hall 337 Bull St. 115 W. Henry St. 227 Martin Luther Garden for the Arts Pinnacle Gallery 328 Barnard St. Arts Fabrication Sheds 216 E. Broughton St. Alexander Hall King Jr. Blvd. 210 Barnard St. 229 Martin Luther 5 Fahm St. King Jr. Blvd. Norris Hall 324 Martin Luther 320 E. Liberty St. 229 Martin Luther Corbin Hall Habersham Hall Jen Library Rapid Transit Gallery Turner House 668 Indian St. King Jr. Blvd. 548 E. Broughton St. King Jr. Blvd. King Jr. Blvd. 600 E. Broughton St. 235 Habersham St. 201 E. Broughton St. 342 Bull St. 302 W. Boundary St.
Pages to are hidden for
"The Campus"Please download to view full document