FLOYD PROPERTY: OWNERSHIP & DESCRIPTIVE LANDMARKS
BELLEVUE & FAIRFIELD PLANTATIONS
CABIN BLUFF, HERMITAGE, BROOKFIELD, SHELLBINE, BLACK POINT
LITTLE CUMBERLAND ISLAND
CAMDEN COUNTY, GEORGIA
by: Marguerite Marreé Mathews, 1998; revised 2006
1765 The Original ROYAL GRANT was given to ROGER KELSAL (where Bellevue
Plantation now sits, plus surrounding property).
1791 Property where Bellevue now sits plus surrounding property was then sold
to WILLIAM McINTOSH JR. (at public sale under confiscated estates).
1795 CHARLES FLOYD & MARY FENDIN FLOYD; JOHN FLOYD & ISABELLA
MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD moved from South Carolina to McIntosh Co., GA.
1798 WILLIAM McINTOSH JR. & his wife ELIZA sold the property to CHARLES
FLOYD of McIntosh County, GA - for the sum of $3085.70 - land was the
property of ROGER KELSAL, containing by original survey 800 acres but by
survey containing 1440 acres - a portion of that property bordered the Satilla
River (where Bellevue now sits, plus surrounding property).
1800 CHARLES FLOYD & MARY FENDIN FLOYD; JOHN FLOYD & ISABELLA
MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD moved from McIntosh Co., GA to Camden Co., GA.
1801 WILLIAM NORRIS, merchant of Savannah, sold to JOHN FLOYD, planter of
Camden County - for the sum of $106.00 “all that Island, piece or parcel of land
situate lying and being in the County of Camden on the waters of Tod's [sic]
Creek against Satilla River known by the name of Dukes Hammock & originally
surveyed for JOHN DUKES and then said to contain 42 acres but on late survey
the said Island is found to contain only 13 acres and one rod ...”
1802 LANGLEY BRYANT sold to CHARLES FLOYD land on Todd's Creek - 136
acres - for the sum of $400.00. Land was originally granted to JOHN EASON
and bounded by lands of THOMAS WRIGHT.
1802 CHARLES FLOYD SENIOR & his wife, MARY FLOYD sold one half of their
entire tract to (their son) JOHN FLOYD for the sum of $1542.80 - one half tract
of land by original survey containing 800 acres; but by survey containing 1440
acres situated on the Satilla River; the land was sold as the property of ROGER
KELSAL, by the Commissioners of Confiscated Estates, and purchased from
them at Public Sale by WILLIAM McINTOSH JR. ... together with all and singular
the Houses, out Houses, Edifices, Buildings, Stables, Yards, Gardens, Feedings,
Woods, Commons, Ways, Water Courses, Liberties, Privileges, Easements,
Commodities, Advantages, Emoluments, Hereditaments, Rights, Members, and
Appurtenances... CHARLES FLOYDE [sic] signed with an “X” (his mark);
MARY FLOYD signed her name to the deed!
Two plantations built between 1802 & 1820 in Camden County:
BELLEVUE - within view of the marshes on Todd's Creek
(JOHN FLOYD built Bellevue Plantation, also called the Anchor House, for his
father, CHARLES FLOYD. The two plantations were built one mile apart,
connected by an avenue of moss-draped live-oaks and cedar trees, dotted
beneath with flowering bulbs and myrtles - see “Floyd History & Lineage” by
Marguerite M. Mathews, 1998. After his father died, JOHN FLOYD moved into
Bellevue) - only the tabby ruins remain.
FAIRFIELD - within view of Floyd’s Creek
JOHN FLOYD built Fairfield Plantation for himself and for his large family, also
called Fairfield House: This two-story house was less commodious than
Bellevue, but handsome all the same; the interior walls were covered with lime;
the floors were of Georgia pine; at either end of the house stood two tall brick
chimneys with large interior mantles; parlor; two-story armory displaying an array
of weapons: swords, lances, daggers, knives, double barrel guns, dueling & long-
shot rifles, carbines, pistols, dueling pistols, bows and arrows; a fine library; a
painting or sketching room; the usual bedrooms; shuttered windows; kitchen; a
post and rail fence surrounded Fairfield Plantation; piazza; well; boat house.
BRIG.-GEN. JOHN FLOYD gave Fairfield to his eldest son, GEN. CHARLES
RINALDO FLOYD, who expanded this plantation - nothing remains.
Both plantations were isolated; the Floyds used the many waterways to connect
by boat to Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, Amelia Island, Tybee Island and
Savannah, Cumberland Island, St. Marys. Depending on the tide and the wind, it
sometimes took 4-6 hours to sail from Fairfield to St. Marys or the reverse. One
mode of travel between Savannah and St. Marys was by steamboat which made
stops at Fairfield or at Cabin Bluff. It took two hours by steamboat from Cabin
Bluff to St. Marys. It took about one hour by horse-drawn conveyance from
Cabin Bluff to Bellevue.
Completely destroyed during the Civil War: “Bellevue & Fairfield - the old
houses of my childhood & early manhood - have also (every vestige of a
building) disappeared under the torch. They were destroyed during the same
week by the blockading vessel stationed at St. Andrews Sound: a party being
sent ashore to execute the deed” (Quote by RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD in
his 1867 letter to friend, John D. Gibson - original letter in possession of Helen
Gibson, Newark, NJ; copy in “Fatio Letters File,” St. Augustine Historical Library,
St. Augustine, FL).
1803 RANDOLPH W. GILLIS Esq., planter, Sheriff & tax collector for Camden County,
at an auction held at the Courthouse in St. Marys - for the purposes of levying
taxes - sold to JOHN FLOYD Esq. and planter, he being the highest bidder - a
tract of land originally granted to JOHN FERRIE containing 1000 acres, the said
half to contain 500 acres and bounded South by JOHN FERRIES land (now
HARMON COURTERS), West by JOHN FERRIES land, North and Northeast by
part of the same tract, East by the Cumberland River, for the sum of $55.00.
1803 JOHN H. McINTOSH & his wife ELIZABETH sold to CHARLES FLOYD & his
wife - four acres at the north end of “the Great Cumberland Island” and on the
creek which divides Great Cumberland and Little Cumberland Island - for the
sum of $100.00.
1804 MARY FENDIN FLOYD died at Bellevue Plantation; buried at the Floyd Family
Cemetery located near the site of Fairfield Plantation.
1805 CHARLES & JOHN FLOYD received State Grants of 1000 acres each. (A
later Camden County Deed Book stated that on 02 Jun. 1807 a tract containing
1000 acres was granted by the State to JOHN FLOYD; this was the same tract
now containing 1,690 acres sold in 1926! CCG Deed Bk. GG, p. 287-291).
1805 JOHN GRAY, planter of Baldwin County, on 26 Oct. 1805 - for $100.00, sold to
CHARLES FLOYD, planter, 400 acres through which the Public Road from
Jeffersonton to St. Marys passes through.
1808 JOHN CREWS & his wife, ELIZABETH, transferred 287 & ½ acres on the
Great Satilla River to JOHN FLOYD. In 1801, THOMAS WRIGHT a cooper in
Camden County and his wife, CATHERINE, had conveyed this land to JOHN
CREWS. In 1791, the land was originally granted to JOHN WRIGHT.
1808 The heirs of Gen. NATHANIEL GREENE sold Little Cumberland Island to
CHARLES FLOYD & JOHN FLOYD for the sum of $1000.00.
1809 According to Camden County Tax Returns, the combined holdings owned by
CHARLES & JOHN FLOYD amounted to 5,825 acres. Later, more acreage
was accrued (the area became known as Floyd's Neck).
Their land bordered: South of the Satilla River, north of the Crooked River, went
east toward the marshes and Cumberland Sound and then went slightly west of
the area of what is now I-95.
The land comprised: Forest, high ground, pine barrens, hammocks, sawgrass,
ponds, tributaries, cuts, creeks, swamp, marsh.
Floyd Plantation Names and Landmarks: Bellevue, Fairfield, Hermitage, Cabin
Bluff, Bear Hammock Clubhouse, Camden Hunting Club, Horse Pen Bluff, Little
Bluff, Schooner Landing, Todds Creek, General's Cut, Floyd's Basin, Floyd's
Creek, Horse Landing Creek, The Neck, Spring Garden, Park Field, Cottage Old
Field, Yankee Field, Middle Field, Jones Field, Stones Field, Old Field, New
Ground Field, Marsh Field, Far Point Field, Pine Barren Field, Spring Hammock
Field, Jones Grove, Leeds Grove, Grants Tract, Bryant & Grays Tract, Woodville,
Marsh Causeway, Bellevue Road, Jefferson Road, DeLaroche Road, Shelby
Road, Black Point Road, Hermitage Road, Barrel Head, African Point or African
Island (sometimes called Pompeys Island), Calypso Island, Cottage Creek,
Pumpkin Branch, Butlers Branch, Hall Swamp, Coopers Swamp, Shellbine or
Shelby, Black Point.
Parade grounds: 200 acres south of Bellevue were set aside for military drills.
Social: Entertained dignitaries, political cronies, statesmen, friends.
Hosted: Competitive shooting, horse and boat racing, Pistol Club matches, deer
drives, hunts, sports club parties, dinner dances, balls.
Botanical garden: Grew plants and citrus from Florida and the Caribbean.
Formal outdoor garden just outside the curved drawing room at Bellevue:
Crescent shaped with flowering shrubs, and, from which roses extended to a half
Agricultural: Vegetables (= self sustaining), rice, indigo, cotton; vegetable
gardens, orchards, vineyard, fields.
Lumber: Timber for business purposes and for boat building - the Floyds
constructed boats for transportation; schooners; vessels for shipping and trade;
1810 WILLIAM H. JACKSON & JAMES JACKSON, executors for the late GEN.
JAMES JACKSON, Chatham Co., GA, on 13 Jun. 1810 sold to CHARLES
FLOYD a tract containing 200 acres, including a Hammock of ten acres,
bounded Northwardly and Westwardly by Todd's Creek and Marsh and
Eastwardly by land of ROGER KELSALL and Southwardly by land granted to
WILLIAM SANDERS and all that other Tract containing 100 acres which was
vacant at the time of survey - for the sum of $2000.00.
Also in Aug. 1810, CHARLES SCOTT MURRAY sold 1000 acres to Gen. JOHN
1811 WILLIAM MICKLER, Sheriff, in a judgement, sold to CHARLES FLOYD Esq.
200 acres of land belonging to ANTHONY SUANS?, deceased - for the sum of
$711.75 with interest and cost of the suit.
1820 CHARLES FLOYD died at Bellevue Plantation; buried at the Floyd Family
Cemetery located near the site of Fairfield Plantation.
1822 On 24 Jun. 1824 WILLIAM McNISH, planter, sold to JOHN FLOYD Esq. a tract
of land on Todd's Creek, sold by the commissioners as confiscated property - for
the sum of $250.00, JOHN FLOYD being the highest bidder.
1822 JOHN FLOYD developed plans to enlarge Bellevue Plantation. In July, his
son, CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD, asked him where he intended to erect his
new building, and, if he had determined to have it fortified with picket
enclosures of military dimensions. The family continued to live at Fairfield
while this work proceeded. The exact date they actually moved into Bellevue is
1823 The sloop, Sparta, arrived with some 3000 feet of boards in January. Yankee
workmen completed the raising of the frame of Bellevue.
1825 “Bellevue House” renovation was fully completed. JOHN FLOYD and family
were ensconced at Bellevue. Bellevue House is shown in a blueprint (drawn by
Hazlehurst Ross Noyes as described to him by his mother, Jule Ross Floyd
Noyes); information as noted (is found in Charles Rinaldo Floyd's “Journal”; in
Henry Hamilton Floyd's “Journal”; in Mary Hazzard Floyd Hamilton's “A Little
Bellevue House (or Bellevue Plantation) was built in the shape of an anchor to
symbolize the Floyd family's fortunes provided by the sea. It was also known as
The Anchor House and comprised: First Floor or Upper Level (in antebellum
homes, known as the “parlor” level); Second Floor or Second Level; Ground
Level Basement or Cellar (= the tabby ruins as seen today); Detached Kitchen
(was still in existence in an 1934 photograph); Detached Appurtenances
FIRST FLOOR or UPPER LEVEL: Made of cypress:
Bedrooms (All five located in the back portion of the house):
One large Room at the very rear of the house for Mordina Jane Boog Floyd
(fireplace at the rear of the room; a door connected to the Bath; a door
connected to the Dressing Room; a door connected to the Children's Room; a
doorway to stairs leading down to the Cellar ~or~ door leading to steps down to
One mid-sized interior Children's Room (doors connected to Mordina Jane Boog
Floyd's room, to Middle Bedroom, to Hall).
One very large interior Room for Isabella Maria Hazzard Floyd (door leading
into the Dressing Room; door beyond lead into the middle Bath; door to
Children's Room; door to Hall and thence to stairway leading up to the second
level and stairway leading down to the Cellar).
One very large Room for Samuel Augustus Floyd (large fireplace with one flue;
a door leading to the Children's Room; a door leading to the outside Piazza).
One large Guest Room (fireplace with two flues - one flue for this room and the
other flue attached to a fireplace in the room above; a door leading to a
Bathroom; a door leading to the outside Piazza).
Three Bathrooms (Located at the very rear of the house).
One Bathroom connected to Mordina Jane Boog Floyd's bedroom.
One Bathroom connected to Isabella Maria Hazzard Floyd's bedroom (via the
One Bathroom connected to the Guest Room.
The Dressing Room connected to Mordina Jane Boog Floyd's Room, and, to
Isabella Maria Hazzard Floyd's Room.
Long Hall (In the middle of the house)
Long hall on the First Floor Level situated with Stairs which went up to the
Second Level, and, stairs down to the Cellar level. Hall connected by doors to
the DRAWING ROOM and the CURVED BILLIARD ROOM beyond. A double
fireplace sat between the Drawing Room and the Curved Billiard Room. A
blueprint shows that this fireplace had three flues (probably heated the two
rooms on the First Level: the Drawing Room and Billiard Room; as well as
heated the Library on the Second Level; and heated the Dining Room in the
Reception Room or Drawing Room
Most sources cite this room as the Reception Room but it was also called the
Drawing Room. This room connected to the Billiard Room; housed a large
double fireplace in between.
Curved Billiard Room or Game Room
The Curved Billiard Room (or Game Room) overlooked the picturesque
crescent-shaped rose garden outdoors. This room connected to the Drawing
Room with a double fireplace in between.
HYPOTHESES by some in the Floyd family: Due to discrepancies between
the blueprint and written works, the following proposals have come to light: The
rectangular Dining Room may have been located on the First Floor or Upper
Level. Additionally, the Drawing Room could have been located in the curved
portion on this same level. The Library was located above on the Second Level.
The Billiard Room or Game Room may have been located in the curved portion
of the Cellar at Ground Level.
Piazzas (Raised terraces on either side of the house)
Two Piazzas on either side of the house (these extended from the end of the
Drawing Room to the beginning of the Bedrooms). Both Piazzas faced formal
lawns; only the south Piazza had a set of stairs leading down to the manicured
lawn. The Piazzas were surrounded by four round wooden Colonial Columns
which supported the roof.
SECOND FLOOR or SECOND LEVEL: Probably made of cypress or of heart
pine - portions of the walls, flooring & joists were still there in the 1920's:
Several Guest Rooms on this upper level.
Contained shelves filled with GEN. JOHN FLOYD'S vast collection of books -
some quite valuable. The walls were white-washed; it was heated by a fireplace
whose chimney connected to the Drawing Room fireplace below. Later, this was
HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD'S office. In 1852, the ladies pasted paper cloth on
the walls, after which it was varnished. There were glass panes in the windows
in this room (as well as throughout all windows in the house).
CELLAR or BASEMENT: Made of tabby with a smooth lime stucco on the
walls; built at ground level:
The Cellar area or Basement of Bellevue is what we see today. These remains
are now called the “TABBY RUINS.” This enclosed anchor-shaped cellar or
house foundation, was built above ground. The walls were three and a half feet
The rectangular Dining Room was located “downstairs” in the Cellar area.
HYPOTHESES: The blueprint of the Anchor House depicts the “Dining Room
downstairs.” In most coastal Georgia homes, the DINING ROOM was located on
the Upper Level (or Parlor Level). Some in the Floyd family believe that the
Dining Room and the Reception Room may have been one in the same.
The blueprint clearly shows three flues in a huge double-fireplace between the
rooms on the Upper Level. These flues connected with the First Level, the
Second Level and the Cellar. Meaning: not only the rooms above were heated,
but also the large rectangular room in the Cellar as well as the curved room in
the Cellar were heated.
Food Storage Area was located in the Cellar.
There were fireplaces housing huge Cauldrons which hung by swinging cranes
so that hot water could be supplied to the Bathrooms above.
DETACHED KITCHEN: Made of tabby with a wood shingle roof:
For Food Preparation
When digging in the ground here in the back of this tabby out-building where the
kitchen once stood, one may find bits of old blue and white design and brown
and white design pottery pieces (Marguerite M. Mathews, 1990 & 1999). Older
photos (1933 & 1934) of this detached section show that the roof appeared to be
made of wooden shingles. By 1977, the kitchen roof was missing.
The raised Open Piazzas or porches were built on two sides of the Bellevue
House with heavy round columns supporting the roof. Only the piazza on the
south side had a set of rather imposing steps leading down to the lawn. Formal
lawns surrounded the house. A terrace was located just outside the curved
Drawing Room of the house. Beyond the terrace, a crescent-shaped rose
garden extended to a half acre; there were informal gardens nearby. Pecan
trees, mulberry trees, maples, myrtles, sycamores, peach and plum orchards,
fruit groves, were strategically placed. Various fields were divided throughout the
property, depending on what was planted and when. The slave quarters were
built south of the plantation; the Parade Grounds south of these. The barns
were a distance behind the main house as were the stables. The boat house
for Bellevue stood at a tributary or canal, called General's Cut, which connected
to Todds Creek.
From Bellevue, it took four hours on horseback to reach St. Marys.
1827 JOHN FLOYD purchased 1008 acres from HENRY JONES and his wife.
1827 The first Hunt Club was organized in Camden County. The Floyds and a few of
their prominent friends founded the Club. CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD was the
first president; RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD was the first secretary. Shooting
and sporting events took place in and around the Cabin Bluff area. Sumptuous
dinners were provided; patriotic toasts were given by members.
1828 A new piano arrived at Bellevue.
1830 At the request of GEN. CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD, the Fairfield Tract was
surveyed by WILLIAM ASHLEY JR., Camden County Surveyor.
1831 CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD was given Fairfield Plantation by his father,
BRIG-GEN. JOHN FLOYD. (He lived here with his 2nd wife, JULIA ROSS
BOOG, sister to MARGARET ANN BOOG & MORDINA JANE BOOG, both of
these ladies were successive wives of HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD).
1831 RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD lived at Hermitage Plantation on the Satilla
River and Todd's Creek. It took about 40 minutes by horse drawn gig to get from
the Hermitage to Bellevue Plantation.
1836 HORACE L. PRATT sold Brookfield Plantation located between Harrietts
Bluff and Satilla Bluff containing 1200 acres plus three more tracts containing
715 acres to RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD - for $4000.00.
1837 On 24 Aug. 1837 JOHN FLOYD sold six acres on the north end of Little
Cumberland Island to the US GOVERNMENT for the sum of $500.00 - for a
lighthouse to be erected on St. Andrews Inlet [sic]. (Lighthouse was built on St.
Andrews Sound; it is still standing and is now on the National Historic Register).
1837 On 20 Dec. 1837 JOHN FLOYD & his wife ISABELLA FLOYD of Camden
County, Georgia sold to THOMAS E. HARDEE for the sum of $4000.00 - “All
that certain Lot in the Town of St. Marys County and state aforesaid known as
part of square number twenty four (24) in the plan of said Town” commencing at
100 ft. from the North East corner of said square, then running South on
Osborne Street 160 ft., then West 200 ft., then North 160 ft., then East 200 ft. to
the place of commencement.
1839 JOHN FLOYD died (Brig-Gen. - was promoted to Major-General) at Bellevue
Plantation; buried at the Floyd Family Cemetery located near the site of Fairfield
Plantation. His Will was recorded in Will Book B page 59 - book B was burned
during a fire at the Courthouse at Jefferson but the Index remains. (Typed
copies of his Will are in various books). ISABELLA MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD
was named Executrix; CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD, EVERARD HAMILTON,
RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD were named Executors.
1839 ISABELLA MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD received ownership of Bellevue
Plantation through her husband's estate (with proviso on her death, the
property revert back to his estate).
1839 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD lived at Bellevue. (He married 1st MARGARET
ANN BOOG). His first child was born at Bellevue. (After his first wife died, he
married her sister, MORDINA JANE BOOG). His second child was born at
1839 On 20 Dec. 1839 RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD, Trustee, & his wife, MARY
ANN FLOYD sold to CLEMONS M. CALDWELL - their Lot No. 25 in the Town
of St. Marys - for the sum of $600.00. Lot commencing at the South East corner
of said lot & running North on Ready Street for 196 ft., then West 200 ft., South
196 ft. to Bryant Street, then East on said street 200 ft. to place of beginning.
1840 CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD went to St. Marys to have the lands of Gen. JOHN
FLOYD'S Estate divided. Slaves of the Bellevue Estate were divided among
family members by RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD & BENJAMIN HOPKINS:
MARY HAZZARD FLOYD HAMILTON received 12 slaves.
CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD received 8 slaves.
SARAH CATHERINE WIGG FLOYD DeLAROCHE received 11 slaves.
SUSAN LODVISKI DIXON FLOYD HOPKINS received 11 slaves.
CAROLINE ELIZA LOUISA FLOYD BLACKSHEAR received 13 slaves.
RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD received 12 slaves.
SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD received 14 slaves.
HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD received 13 slaves.
1840 BENJAMIN HOPKINS received $1000.00 for his transfer of all claim and
right which he held in right of his wife (SUSAN LODVISKI DIXON FLOYD) to the
lands of her father, the late BRIG.-GEN. JOHN FLOYD.
1840 ISABELLA MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD gave GEN. JOHN FLOYD'S ammunition
desk to her eldest son, CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD.
1840 On 13 August 1840 in the town of St. Marys, the males of the Floyd family
drew lots written on separate pieces of paper and put into a hat for the
remaining lands in Camden County and in McIntosh County owned by GEN.
JOHN FLOYD. Major CLARK & JOHN McINTOSH officiated the lottery:
Hermitage: 1000 acres valued at $2000 drawn by DR. AIMEE
DeLAROCHE (his wife was SARAH CATHERINE WIGG FLOYD).
Leeds Grove: Exact number of acres unknown valued at $1500 drawn
by COL. EVERARD HAMILTON (his wife was MARY HAZZARD
Grants Tract: 1000 acres valued at $3000 drawn by HENRY HAMILTON
FLOYD (his 2nd wife was MORDINA JANE BOOG).
Jones Tract: 1008 acres valued at $1000 drawn by JAMES HAMILTON
BLACKSHEAR (his wife was CAROLINE ELIZA LOUISA FLOYD).
Lands in McIntosh County, GA: 1050 acres valued at $1500 drawn by
BENJAMIN HOPKINS (his wife was SUSAN LODVISKI DIXON FLOYD).
He sold his lottery claim to DR. AIMEE DeLAROCHE for $1000.
Marsh Lands: 3000 acres valued at $1500 drawn by CHARLES
RINALDO FLOYD (his 2nd wife was JULIA ROSS BOOG). He sold his
lottery claim to DR. DeLAROCHE for $1000.
Bryant & Grays Tract: 670 acres valued at $300.00 was drawn by
RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD (his wife was MARY ANN CHEVALIER).
Little Cumberland Island: 994 acres valued at $500.00 drawn by
SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD (never married).
Errors in the division of slaves belonging to GEN. JOHN FLOYD'S
ESTATE were corrected on this date at this lottery.
1841 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD for love and affection to JULIA R. FLOYD and her
children by GEN. CHARLES R. FLOYD - conveyed “the following named
property of 'Fairfield Place' situated on Todd's Creek [sic], the waters of
Cumberland and Bellevue Place (the property of Mrs. I. M. FLOYD) containing
1139 acres and a half, situated in Camden County ... and the following Negroes
to wit: John Carpenter aged 54 years, Port Royal aged 35 years, Joe aged 56
years, Pompey aged 45 years, Diana aged 35 years, Tom aged 2 years, Cinda
aged 11 years, Wallace aged 6 months, McDuffy aged 31 years, and the future
issue of the above named women ...” (CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD died on 22
March 1845 at Fairfield - see details below).
1842 RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD sold 370 acres bordering the Crooked River to
DR. AIME DeLAROCHE (husband of SARAH CATHERINE WIGG FLOYD).
1842 JAMES TROUP on 27 Jun. 1842 sold to DR. A. DeLAROCH 1340 acres south
of the Crooked River & Crooked Creek; plus 1900 acres on the Crooked River
(land belonging to the late SAMUEL BRAILSFORD) - for the sum of $600.00.
1842 RICHARD F. FLOYD, planter of Camden County, sold 270 acres - for the sum of
$150.00 sold to DR. AIME DeLAROCHE of Glynn County. Land was surveyed
1n 1826 for LANGLEY BRYANT; it bordered east and south by GEN. JOHN
FLOYD'S lands and other sides by vacant land.
1842 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD sold 1000 acres on Todd's Creek to DR. AIME
DeLAROCHE for $500.00. The land was situated on the Todd's Creek Branch
of the Satilla River, having been originally granted to ALEXANDER ENGLIS and
bounded on the South West by line by ROBERT BAILLIS, North West by land of
J. C. BRYAN, and North East by lands granted to E. HAMILTON.
1843 RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD negotiated a loan agreement for $420.13 in
the form of a promissory note with EVERARD HAMILTON BLACKSHEAR of
Laurens Co., GA (husband of ISABELLA MARIA CAROLINA HAMILTON),
stating that if he did not comply by a certain date to repay the loan, that
BLACKSHEAR would receive 1288 acres in Camden County, five slaves, plus
819 acres known as the Shellbine Tract. (MAJOR BENJAMIN HOPKINS had
purchased the “Shellbine place” prior to 1836).
1843 CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD sold 2000 acres of marsh land to DR. AIMEE
DeLAROCHE of Glynn County for the sum of $400.00. (This was part of the
land that was originally granted in 1807 to CHARLES FLOYD & JOHN FLOYD).
1843 MARY A. HARDEE, widow, sold to AIMEE DeLAORCHE for the sum of
$700.00, that tract of land on the Crooked River containing 4234 acres and
known as Black Point. It was part of an original survey containing 7040 acres
and bounded West by land belonging to the State of Georgia, North by a part of
said survey, East by marsh and Cumberland River, South by marsh and the
Crooked River. (On subsequent pages in the same Deed Book, for the sum of
$500.00 A. J. BESSENT relinquished his undivided fourth of said property; for
the sum of $500.00 JULIA A. HARDEE relinquished her undivided one fourth).
1845 CHARLES RINALDO FLOYD died at Fairfield Plantation; at his request, he
was buried shrouded in the American Flag, near a pine tree, adjacent to Fairfield
Plantation - his grave is marked by a marble obelisk and a monument was
erected by the US Government in honor of his patriotic services. The stone wall
surrounding his grave was built sometime in the early 1900's by JOHN SWANN
RUSSELL (husband of CATHERINE “Pat” SOPHIA FLOYD). The gate
protecting his monument was purposely removed due to hogs gaining access
inside and for some reason being unable to find their way out again. The Floyd
family was afraid that the animals would topple the monument.
1846 RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD sold his Hermitage Plantation on the Satilla
River and Todd's Creek and he and his wife and three daughters moved to
Florida. (He married MARY ANN CHEVALIER).
1850 SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD (11th child of BRIG-GEN. JOHN FLOYD &
ISABELLA MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD) was listed as household head and living
at “Bellevue Place”; his mother, ISABELLA FLOYD, was living with him.
1852 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD lived at Bellevue where he was in charge of
running the daily affairs of a large plantation, but according to a Journal entry in
1852, he considered building separate quarters at Cabin Bluff and living
Camden County Georgia historian, Eloise Bailey Thompson, described Cabin
Bluff as the largest single tract of forest land in Camden County: “The total area
comprises of about 61,400 acres, of which 39,250 are forested area and 22,150
are marsh land.”
1852 JULIA ROSS BOOG FLOYD died at Fairfield; two claims about her burial: she
is buried by her husband within the walls of his monument at Fairfield, or she is
buried at the Floyd Family Cemetery near the site of Fairfield - at both, her grave
is unmarked. (HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD took charge of her children's welfare
and saw to their education).
1858 SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD had received Little Cumberland Island through
lottery after BRIG.-GEN. JOHN FLOYD died. On 04 Mar. 1858 SAML. A.
FLOYD sold the 994 acres “known as and distinguished as Little Cumberland
Island” to GEORGE W. STOCKWELL of Glynn Co., GA - for the sum of
$400.00. Exactly four days later, G. W. STOCKWELL turned around and sold it
to RICHARD MORRELL of Jersey City, NJ for the same sum!
1859 ISABELLA MARIA HAZZARD FLOYD died at Bellevue Plantation; presumably
is buried at the Floyd Family Cemetery located near the site of Fairfield
Plantation - her grave is unmarked. HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD was executor
of her Estate.
1859 After his mother's death, SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD inherited the Bellevue
Plantation home site.
1860 SAMUEL AUGUSTUS FLOYD & HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD with his wife
(MORDINA JANE BOOG FLOYD) and children were all living at Bellevue as
noted on the 1860 Camden Co. GA Census in Bailey's District, P. O. Box
Jeffersonton. Value of SAMUEL A. FLOYD'S Personal Estate = $38,000. Value
of HENRY H. FLOYD'S Real Estate = $5,500; Value of his Personal Estate =
$36,3600. Value of MORDINA FLOYD'S Real Estate = $5,000; value of her
Personal Estate = $36,800.
1861 During the 1861-1864 time-frame in the midst of the Civil War: Both Fairfield
Plantation within view of Floyd's Creek and Bellevue Plantation within view of
Todd's Creek were completely destroyed.
1862 At this time, MORDINA JANE BOOG FLOYD was living at Clinton, her home by
inheritance through her father, JOHN BOOG. This was where she died as well
as the year of her death. She was buried at the Floyd Family Cemetery near
Fairfield Plantation. Her grave is unmarked.
1865 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD sold the Black Point Plantation containing 5,000
acres and the adjoining Shelby Tract containing 6,000 acres to one
MALCOLM A. CRAWFORD without his sister's permission. His sister, SARAH
CATHERINE WIGG FLOYD DeLAROCH, who was living in Savannah at the
time, hired a lawyer and had the land transactions rescinded. In 1867, SARAH
sold the parcels, Black Point Plantation & the Shelby Tract, to HENRY
RUSSELL, a solicitor of Belfast, Ireland - for the sum $8500.00. The Shelby or
Shellbine Tract was originally granted to JOHN FERRY and later bought by
RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD - The Shelby Tract was bounded on the north
by the Cumberland River and Cottage Creek, it then crossed the center of a run
which crossed the new road leading to the Hermitage Plantation, then crossed
back in a right angle until it joined the Black Point tract.
1866 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD relinquished “all of my right, claim and title as
heir of the late GENL. JOHN FLOYD of Camden County, deceased” to the
Tract of Land known as “Bellevue Place” to RICHARD FERDINAND FLOYD -
for the sum of $100.00.
1866 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD sold to WILLIAM PHELAN of Nassau Co., FL -
“300 acres bounded by lands of DR. DeLAROCHE'S estate and Bellevue
Place ... on Shelby Road where Bellevue Road comes to it ... near Yankee Field
just where the corn house stood, one half of this land has been planted and
known as 'Corn Field'”, for the sum of $500.00.
1867 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD sold to SAMUEL C. THOMPSON of Duval Co., FL
- 200 acres bounded on the East by Pointfield Road and “Bellevue Place”, on
the North by Pointfield Road and Brown Grass Field, on the West by lands
formerly owned by H. H. FLOYD but now owned by MALCOLM A. CRAWFORD,
on the South by the main road leading to Jeffersonton and known as Long
Reach - the said land was a part of a tract known as Marsh Field and formerly
owned by Dr. AIMEE DeLAROCH - for the sum of $500.00.
1867 For SARAH CATHERINE WIGG FLOYD DeLAROCH, title was perfected on
another tract called Marsh Field containing 200 acres of hammock pine and
marsh near Todd's Creek. She sold the property to MALCOLM A.
CRAWFORD in 1872 for an undisclosed sum. (A bond given by HENRY
HAMILTON FLOYD in 1856 to DR. AIMEE DeLAROCH/DeLAROCHEAULION
was not recorded).
1870 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD was not found on any Census Schedule (he may
have still been in Troupville where some of the family fled for safety during the
Civil War or he may have been living with his daughter, SOPHIA CATHERINE
“Pat” FLOYD RUSSELL at Silco in Camden County and was merely
overlooked). SAMUEL A. FLOYD was living in St. Marys. The value of his Real
Estate = $375.00; he has no Personal Estate to claim.
1872 HENRY H. FLOYD to MARY ANN FLOYD, administratrix for the Estate of the
late RICHARD F. FLOYD of Duval Co., FL - reiterated, this time in a sworn
statement before the Court, that in 1866 he gave up his right, claim & title as heir
of GENL. JOHN FLOYD to the tract of land known as Bellevue Place.
1873 HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD died & is buried at Temple Bluff Cemetery on the
St. Marys River. He left no Will; I have not found a division of remaining Floyd
property among his offspring.
1877 Bellevue Plantation & Surrounding Property: sold by SAMUEL AUGUSTUS
FLOYD to former slave, POMPEY FLOYD for $100.00 (property at that time
was called “Bellevue Place”). POMPEY FLOYD had been living on the
property. The parcel line started at Schooner Landing - it included a spring, 100
acres of high ground, and, marsh land between Floyd's Creek and Todd's Creek.
According to Floyd family members, Pompey Floyd moved into the only habitable
portion remaining: the Kitchen. He farmed the 100 acres surrounding the tabby
1885 The HILTON-DODGE LUMBER CO. MILL began buying up property along the
Satilla River in the Floyd's Neck area (at Satilla Bluff & Ceylon).
1894 An agreement was drawn up between JOHN A. FOSTER & J. M. HUNTER and
notarized by SAM'L. C. ATKINSON: “For and in consideration of one dollar,
each to the other in hands paid, it is agreed that JOHN A. FOSTER, party of the
first part, sells to JACOB M. HUNTER, party of the second part, the Floyd's
Neck, Cabin Bluff, and Black Point tracts of land containing 25,000 acres more
or less as the same is designated and represented on a certain plat made by our
King, County Surveyor, and therein designated as “Floyd's Neck” containing
the Floyd and DeLaroche lands in Camden County, Georgia as the price of five
dollars per acre payable on delivery of deed at any time within six months from
August 1, 1894. This agreement is binding on our heirs and assigns.”
It is interesting to note that no such transaction has been found in the Camden
County Deed Books. Perhaps the deal fell through. (JOHN ALEXANDER
FOSTER married 1st GEORGIA ESTELLE FLOYD; he married 2nd AUGUSTA
1895 On 08 Jan. 1895, MARMADUKE HAMILTON sold to JOHN A. FOSTER (partner
& superintendent in the Hilton-Dodge Lumber Co.), some 3,850 acres in Floyd's
Neck. (MARMADUKE “Duke” HAMILTON was the son of MARY HAZZARD
FLOYD HAMILTON & EVERARD HAMILTON. When he died on 28 Jan. 1896,
he left 1/12 share in his estate to MARMADUKE HAMILTON FLOYD!).
The early Floyd's Neck land holdings ranged from large plantations to small
family farms. The money-making crops were rice and cotton; later, turpentine
and timber. This isolated section of swamps & hammocks was where Grand
Pond Island, Locust Ridge, Hall's Swamp, Barrel Head Swamp & Pine Barren
were located. Over a period, piece by piece this property was sold.
1911 On 12 May 1911, JOHN A. FOSTER & BURWELL ATKINSON sold to FLOYD'S
NECK LAND & TIMBER CO. - 42,000 acres & the tract containing 3,850 acres.
(At Satilla Bluff & Ceylon - the Hilton-Dodge Lumber Co. sold to Savannah
River Co. which was bought out by Kelsey Associates).
1917 Apparently, the State of GA re-claimed some of the Floyd property (for unpaid
taxes???). The State then gave grants to certain people - which shows up on
this 1917 map of Camden County (Info. from Eloise Bailey Thompson, Camden
Co., GA historian - in a phone conversation with Marguerite Mathews Jan. 2006).
1920 An article in the Southeast Georgian in February 1980 noted that sixty years ago
this date (= in the 1920's) Camden lands sold well at auction in Savannah. “The
56,900 acres in Floyd's Neck sold to CROSBY/COSBY THOMPSON of Virginia
at $9 per acre.” His purpose was to establish a colony of farmers and develop a
timber company - plans never came to fruition. Instead, the area was acquired
by HOWARD E. COFFIN for his development enterprises.
1925 On 05 Nov. & 31 Dec. 1925, one JOHN STEPHENS of Duval Co., FL sold to
KELSEY ASSOCIATES INC., a corporation having its principal office in West
Palm Beach, FL - for the sum of $10.00 (meaning, an undisclosed obscene sum
of money - even for those times).
1926 On 03 Aug. 1926 KELSEY ASSOCIATES sold to CAMDEN PINE & CYPRESS -
land containing 57,000 acres (“Floyd Neck Tract & other lands”) - property
description gave one boundary as “South by Bellview Road”; several individual
property owners sold their holdings as well. According to Camden County Deed
Books, the aggregate included the Floyds Neck Tract and other parcels (e.g.:
property formerly owned by CHARLES FLOYD, GEN. JOHN FLOYD,
EVERARD HAMILTON, AIME DeLAROCHE, BENJAMIN HOPKINS, apparently
including Black Point & Cabin Bluff).
1927 HOWARD E. COFFIN & SEA ISLAND CO. purchased the Bellevue property
from RHODA FLOYD (widow of POMPEY FLOYD) for $1000.00 - for “100
acres of high land and all the marsh lying between Floyds Creek and Todds
Creek...land bounded on the North and East by Todds Creek; on the South and
West by lands formerly owned by Hilton & Dodge Lumber Company, now
being part of the lands known as Kelsey Associates property, and more
recently deeded by them to Camden Pine & Cypress Company, more familiarly
known as the Floyds Neck Tract.”
HOWARD E. COFFIN owned Sea Island Pasture (later formed Sea Island Co.),
which developed tracts held by his Camden Pine & Cypress Co. He accrued
25,000 acres and eventually accrued more than 61,000 acres in the Floyds
Neck area. This area also included Cabin Bluff, where COFFIN developed a
shooting and fishing preserve and where he built cabins and a lodge to house his
cronies. (Cabin Bluff was once owned by HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD).
1928 MARMADUKE HAMILTON FLOYD of Savannah, GA, applied to undertake the
management of the hunting preserve on Floyd's Neck. On 27 October 1928
he wrote a letter to Mr. Alfred Jones, Sea Island Company, Brunswick, GA:
“Dear Mr. JONES, Since I talked with you and Mr. Redden about my application
to undertake the management of the hunting preserve on Floyd Neck, I have
been thinking of ways to reduce expense, and ultimately to have the
management and much of the overhead expense bourne by the business. I
assume the Floyd's Neck tract of fifty thousand acres was bought mainly as
an investment, to be sold at profit by the enhanced timber value, and possibly to
be developed, by some plan not as yet worked out or published, to utilize at
great profit the enormous water front on the project...Reforestation is not very
expensive, and the returns possible from it are astonishing...The game preserve
has to be patrolled to keep out poachers. During the hunting season of four
months guides and servants have to be provided...I have such experience in
timber and turpentine, and until recent years, I have always had under my
management a farm of considerable size. My interest in Camden County is
intense, especially in Floyd Neck. I feel confident in my ability to successfully
manage your Company's Camden County properties...”
Across the very top of this typed letter copy, MARMADUKE H. FLOYD made a
handwritten notation: “wrote about saving the mantles in the Black Point
house.” (MARMADUKE HAMILTON FLOYD, also called “Duke,” was the son
of THOMAS BOURKE FLOYD & FRANCES ANN PERKINS).
1942 SEA ISLAND CO. (Camden Pine & Cypress) sold a portion to BRUNSWICK
PULP & PAPER CO. Brunswick Pulp & Paper owns Cabin Bluff.
Sea Island Co. still owns Ceylon area. Ceylon is located along the south side of
Satilla River. (That area, called Satilla Bluff, had two settlements where the
Hilton-Dodge Lumber Co. was located: Upper Mill and Lower Mill. The Upper
Mill was at Satilla Bluff; the Lower Mill was at Ceylon). A few houses still stand
at Satilla Bluff. Ceylon was once a thriving community with houses, church,
school, general store, steam-boat stop, but today not a trace remains. Ceylon
Cemetery is the only tangible reminder that Ceylon existed at all. Ceylon
perimeter is enclosed by a high prison-like chain link fence with barbed wire
across the top; locked gates obviate entry. One must obtain permission from
Sea Island Co. to gain access to Ceylon Cemetery. Future plans by Sea Island
Co. include turning this entire Ceylon area into a mega-development and resort
for the rich and famous. Although as of 1999, the Ceylon area remains
Cabin Bluff, now owned by Brunswick Pulp & Paper Co., is an exclusive
executive conference center for company CEO's, replete with lodge, docks, boat
houses, private airstrip, forestry genetics development, and, is off limits to
1954 24 April 1954: The first Floyd Family Reunion held at Incachee Plantation,
Waverly, GA = home of HENRY C. RUSSELL (deceased 1936) & MARY
CLEVELAND ATKINSON RUSSELL. A photo taken at Incachee on that date
shows all the “first cousins” = descendants of HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD &
MORDINA JANE BOOG).
1962 Bellevue Plantation ruins + Fairfield Plantation property site + Charles
Rinaldo Floyd Monument at Fairfield site + Floyd Family Cemetery near
Fairfield Plantation site + Horse Pen Bluff area + the surrounding acreage
once owned by the Floyds - sold to THIOKOL CHEMICAL CORP. - rocket fuel
research & chemical co. that required deep water access attained through
Floyds Creek, then into the Cumberland River, then into Cumberland Sound,
then down the Intra coastal Waterway to Cape Canaveral.
1976 THIOKOL sold to UNION CARBIDE - developed agricultural products.
1986 UNION CARBIDE sold their chemical plant facility to RHONE-POULENC AG.
CO. (French Co.) - the chemical “Temik” produced.
NOTE: Union Carbide retained ownership of the land where the Bellevue
Plantation tabby ruins (Anchor House) and the Floyd Family Cemetery sit.
However, in order to gain access to the Anchor House tabby ruins (Bellevue), the
former Fairfield Plantation site, the Charles Rinaldo Floyd Monument (erected by
the US Government), and, the Floyd Family Cemetery, one must obtain
permission through Rhone-Poulenc Ag. Co. (now Bayer CropScience). Visitors
must sign a waiver, view a safety film and have an escort with them at all times.
Rhone-Poulenc Ag. Co. maintained the Anchor House tabby ruins and preserved
the Floyd Family Cemetery. With new ownership, it is uncertain who will
preserve these historic sites.
1996 On Saturday afternoon 13 April 1996: Organizers of the annual Floyd Family
Reunion planned a sightseeing excursion aboard the Cumberland Princess. We
left from the St. Marys waterfront dock, proceeded up the Cumberland River, and
then up Floyd's Creek to Horsepen Bluff. The entire round trip took about five
hours and was well worth it!
1998 Saturday 18 April 1998: At this year's Floyd Reunion we heard “Floyd Family
History” highlights - with details of the military exploits of BRIG.-GEN. JOHN
FLOYD presented by Mr. Todd Groce, Director of the GA Historical Society in
Savannah. Bo Russell hosted a barbeque on Friday evening at the Crooked
River State Park Pavilion.
1999 Ownership name transferred from RHONE-POULENC AG. CO. to AVENTIS
CROPSCIENCE USA - Chemicals; Insecticides and PGRs Active Ingredients.
2001 UNION CARBIDE became a wholly owned subsidiary of DOW CHEMICAL CO.
on 06 Feb. 2001. The land where Bellevue (Anchor House) and the Floyd
Family Cemetery sit now belong to DOW Chemical Co.
2002 Coastal Georgia RDC put out a notice stating: The Cabin Bluff Development
Project involves a large mixed-use development formulated to create a “low
density, environmentally sensitive community” between the Satilla River and the
Crooked River. The property proposed for development is 17,000 acres owned
jointly by Sea Island Co. & Mead Co. The developed area would have a
maximum of 5,000 houses; 100,000 sq. ft. of commercial units; 500,000 sq. ft.
business park and warehouse distribution areas; 125,000 sq. ft. of community
recreation including golf courses and clubs.
2003 Saturday 26 April 2003: Marked the Golden Anniversary of the Floyd Family
Reunions! 50 years of fun and games, fellowship, renewed family contacts,
learning who our ancestors were and how they lived. (Yet I have in my notes
that the first Floyd Reunion was held in 1954 - a photo taken at Incachee on that
date shows all the “first cousins” = descendants of HENRY HAMILTON FLOYD).
2003 Ownership changed from AVENTIS CROPSCIENCE USA to BAYER
CROPSCIENCE - produces pesticides, Aldicarb and a mixed aggregate of
2005 Permission was obtained to see the Bellevue Plantation ruins, the former
Fairfield Plantation site at Floyd's Creek, the Charles Rinaldo Floyd
Monument, and, the Floyd Family Cemetery during their annual Floyd Family
Reunion. The Floyd Reunion is held every year the first Saturday after Easter at
the Crooked River State Park Pavilion in Camden County, GA.
2006 On 01 January 2006 the agreement ended between BAYER CROPSCIENCE
and DOW CHEMICAL as to maintenance of Bellevue (Anchor House) and
Floyd Family Cemetery properties. Bayer CropScience is negotiating terms
with Dow Chemical Co. as to who will maintain these areas!!! Bayer
CropScience is also negotiating with Dow Chemical to allow Floyd family
members to see the Bellevue tabby ruins (Anchor House), the former Fairfield
site, the Charles Rinaldo Floyd Monument, and the Floyd Family Cemetery. This
may result in Bayer CropScience following a “good neighbors” policy, although,
an escort may be unavailable. Bayer CropScience entrance is located at 5954
Harrietts Bluff Road East, Woodbine, GA.
2006 Saturday 22 April 2006: This year's Floyd Family Reunion will be held at the
Wildwood Party House - just off of McKinnon Road in White Oak, GA = the
property of JIM & ELINOR RUSSELL. Family members will bring a covered
dish; the children will play games; cousins will enjoy seeing one another again,
will reminisce and tell stories of times past; there will be a business meeting.
Later in the afternoon, the crowd will caravan to the gates of Bayer CropScience
on Harrietts Bluff Road for a visit to Bellevue, the Charles Rinaldo Floyd
Monument, the Floyd Cemetery. Everyone will have a ball!
Bailey (now Thompson), Eloise. “Bellevue.” An unpublished report - History, Ownership,
Structure, Grounds of Bellevue Plantation in Camden County, Georgia, 1977.
Bailey (now Thompson), Eloise. “The Cabin Bluff Story.” (n.d). Housed in the Bryan-
Lang Historical Library.
Bass, F. C. Superintendent and Manager for Sea Island Co. properties, Camden
Bryan-Lang Historical Library, Woodbine, GA.
Camden County, Georgia Deed Books - located in Camden County Courthouse,
Camden County Tribune 1982, 1984.
Clagett, Brice McAdoo. “A Sketch of the Floyd Family of the Eastern Shore of Virginia.”
Compiled & printed by the author, 1964.
Clagett, Brice McAdoo. Floyd Information (shared).
De Renne, Augusta Gallie Floyd. Description of the gardens of Bellevue quoted in
“Garden History of Georgia 1733-1933.”
Duke University, Durham, NC, Perkins Library, Special Collections - the M. H. & D. B.
Fawcett, George. Floyd Information (shared).
Fields, Tara T. Web site: www.camdencounty.org
Florida Times Union 1962.
Floyd, Augusta Gallie. “Diary.” September 1872-February 1874; August 1876-July
1877; July 1877-October 1880; October 1880-January 1886 - all transcribed by Alice
Collar Tonge. June 1906-November 1813 - transcribed by Betty Jean Hay McNair.
Copies in: Bryan-Lang Historical Library, Woodbine, GA.
Floyd, Charles Rinaldo. “Journal.” A log kept from September 1816-March 1845.
Originals in possession of Brice McAdoo Clagett; transcribed copies in: GA Historical
Society, Savannah, GA.
Floyd, Henry Hamilton. “Journal.” A daily log from 23 February 1852-23 May 1853.
Original in GA Historical Society, Savannah, GA; transcribed copy in possession of
Marguerite M. Mathews, in Bryan-Lang Historical Library, on the Web at:
Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, GA.
Goldsmith, Sabra Noyes. Floyd and Boog Information (shared).
Hamilton, Mary Hazzard Floyd. “A Little Family History.” Savannah: The Morning
Jacksonville Journal 1977.
Mathews, Marguerite Marreé. “Floyd History & Lineage.” Compiled & printed by the
author, 1998. Copies in: DAR Library, Washington, DC; Library of Congress,
Washington, DC; LDS Library, Salt Lake City, UT; Atlanta Archives, Atlanta, GA;
Huxford Genealogical Library, Homerville, GA.
Mathews, Marguerite Marreé. “Floyd Family Cemetery.” Compiled & printed by the
author, 2002. Copy in: Bryan-Lang Historical Library, Woodbine, GA; on the Net at:
& at: www.camdencounty.org
Myers, James “Jim”. Human Resources/Training Manager, Rhone-Poulenc, Harrietts
Bluff Road, Woodbine, GA (ret.).
Noyes, Julia “Jule” Ross Floyd. Handwritten Description of Bellevue & Gardens and
Blueprint of Bellevue - originals (handwritten notes and blueprint drawing) in possession
of Sabra Noyes Goldsmith; copies in GA Historical Society, Bryan-Lang Historical
Library, Atlanta Archives; shared with many Floyd family members. On the Web at:
Noyes, Margaret “Bitsy” Elizabeth. Floyd and Boog Information (shared).
O'Neale, Malcolm Lindsay. Maps of original Land Grants and Floyd property (shared).
Reddick, Marguerite. “Camden's Challenge - A History of Camden County, Georgia.”
Camden County Historical Commission, 1976; Revised 1994.
Russell, James “Jim” Boog Floyd. Floyd Letters, Cemetery Information (shared).
Spikes, Mary Faith Floyd. Floyd Files and Letters (shared).
St. Augustine Historical Library, St. Augustine, FL.
Williams, Elizabeth “Betty” Jule Mayer. Floyd Information regarding Ceylon and Satilla