RICHARD L. KRAVITZ, MD, MSPH
PROFESSOR OF MEDICINE
University of California, Davis
Division of General Medicine
4150 V. Street, Suite 2400
Sacramento, CA. 95817
 734-1248 (direct line)
 734-7005 (main line)
 734-1763 (fax)
1988 MSPH, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Los
1983 MD, University of California, San Francisco
1979 BS, Biological Sciences (With Distinction), Stanford University, Stanford, California
1986-1988 Clinical Scholar, Robert Wood Johnson - Veterans Administration Clinical Scholars
Program, UCLA, Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
1984-1986 Resident, Internal Medicine, UCLA, Department of Medicine
1983-1984 Intern, UCLA Department of Medicine
1986 Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine
1984 Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners
1984 California State License (#G52777)
2006- Director, CTSC K12 Fellowship Program
2003- Co-Vice Chair for Research, UC Davis Department of Internal Medicine
1999- Professor of Medicine, UC Davis Division of General Medicine
1996-2006 Director, UC Davis Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care
1996-1999 Associate Professor, UC Davis Division of General Medicine
1995-1996 Associate Professor (in Residence), UC Davis Division of General
1993-1995 Assistant Professor (in Residence), UC Davis Division of General Medicine
1988-1993 Assistant Professor (in Residence), UCLA Department of Medicine
1988- Research Associate, Social Policy Department, RAND Corporation
1988-1990 Co-Director, NCHSR Research Fellowship, RAND-UCLA Center for
Health Policy Studies
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 1 3/30/2009
2005-6 Attorney General Consumer and Prescriber Grant Program, “The Marketing
of Medicines: Development, Dissemination and Evaluation of a Critical
Skills Curriculum for Prescribers”
2005 American College of Physicians, PIER (Depression Module)
2003 Journey to Health, Dallas Co. Community College District
2001-2002 Clinical Evidence (Subsidiary of BMJ Publishing Group)
2001 Healthwise, Inc.
2001 BestTreatment (Joint Venture of BMJ and United Health)
2001 RealAge Inc.
2006 AcademyHealth, Article of the Year Award
2006 Society of General Medicine, Best Published Research Paper of the Year
2005 UC Davis Health System Ambassador of Diversity Award
2004 AcademyHealth Outstanding Abstract (Health Disparities Category)
2003 UC Davis School of Medicine Excellence in Research and Mentoring Award
1998 Fellow, American College of Physicians
1997 Fellow, Association for Health Services Research
1997 UC Davis School of Medicine Faculty Research Award (annual award for
outstanding research contributions)
1993-1995 Picker/Commonwealth Faculty Scholar
1993 Association for Health Services Research, Article of the Year Award
1984 Alpha Omega Alpha National Essay Award (Honorable Mention)
1979-1983 Regents' Scholarship, University of California, San Francisco
1979 Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University
1993- Attending Physician, UC Davis Health System (4 clinic sessions per month; 1
to 2 months on wards and/or consults per year)
1988-93 Attending Physician, UCLA Hospital and Clinics (3 1/2 day clinic sessions per
week; 1 to 2 months on wards per year)
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS: (Richard L. Kravitz is P.I. unless otherwise indicated)
Currently Funded Projects
1. National Institute of Mental Health, R01 079387-01, “Targeted and Tailored Messages to
Enhance Depression Care.” $2,934,256 total costs, 8/1/07-7/31/12.
2. National Institute of Mental Health, K24 MH072756, “Improving Care for Comorbid Physical
and Mental Illness,” $635,192, 10/1/05-9/30/10.
3. American Cancer Society, “Patient Coaching to Reduce Cancer-Related Pain,” $1.51 million,
4. California Office of Statewide Health Planning & Development, “California Coronary
Outcomes Reporting Project,” Z. Li, P.I. 7/07-6/09, $850,000 (Co-investigator, 5%)
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 2 3/30/2009
1. UCLA Medical Education and Research Center, "Patients' Expectations for the Content of
Ambulatory Visits." $2,500; 8/91 -7/92.
2. University of California, Cancer Research Coordinating Committee, "Can A Visual Display of
Patients' Pain Levels Improve Physicians' Treatment of Cancer-Related Pain?" $21,200; 1/92-
3. Commonwealth Fund, "Is Coronary Angiography Underused Among the Medically
Disadvantaged in Los Angeles County?" $97,000; 1/92-4/93.
4. Kaiser Family Foundation, "Is Coronary Artery Revascularization Underused Among the
Medically Disadvantaged in Los Angeles County?" $97,000; 1/92-4/93.
5. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research,
"Failure to Test or Monitor in a Medical Malpractice Claims Database." $87,000, 1991.
6. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Pepper Center), "A Randomized Trial of
Post-Discharge Geriatric Assessment." (Co-Investigator) $750,000, 1991-94.
7. Picker/Commonwealth Faculty Scholars Program, "Patients Expectations in Primary Care:
Implications for Cost Containment and Patient Satisfaction." $100,000; 9/93-8/95.
8. Hibbard E. Williams Grant Program, "Costs and Quality of Care for Patients' Requiring
Interpreters," $49,600 7/96 - 6/97.
9. UCDMC Rural Health and Telemedicine Program, “Evaluating a Jail Telemedicine Program,”
10. California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, “Improving the Use of
Cesarean Section in California,” $185,000, 1/1/97-6/30/99.
11. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research,
“A Taxonomy of Patient Requests and Physician Responses Under Managed Care,” $56,688,
12. California Healthcare Foundation, “Evaluating Health Information on the Internet,” Gretchen
Berland, P.I., $500,000, 7/00-12/00 (5%).
13. Alpha Center (RWJF), “Quality of Care and Conditions of Practice: Physicians’
Perceptions,” $100,000, 1/00-12/00.
14. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, “Patient Requests and Physician Responses Under
Managed Care,” $322,000, 9/1/98-8/31/00.
15. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, “Palliative Care for Special Populations,” F. Meyers,
P.I., $450,000, 10/98 – 9/01. (Evaluation Director, 5%).
16. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, “North-Central California Center for
AIDS Research,” Richard Pollard, PI. $2.25mil, 9/1/01-8/30/04 (Evaluation Director, 15%)
17. UC Davis School of Medicine Research Award, “The Clinical Negotiation Between Elderly
Patients and their Physicians,” D. Paterniti, PI, $150,000, 7/01-6/03 (Co-investigator, 5%)
18. Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research, “Hand Held Computers to Reduce Warfarin-
Associated Errors,” R. White, PI. $1.3 million, 10/01-9/04 (no cost extension through 10/05)
19. National Institutes of Mental Health, R01 MH064683, “Consumer Influences on Treatment of
Depression,” $2.1 mil, 9/1/02-8/31/05 (no cost extension through 8/06)
20. Pfizer, Inc. “Accounting for Heterogeneity of Treatment Effects,” $293,000 7/15/05-3/31/07.
21. Pfizer, Inc. “N-of-1 Trials” and “Evidence Farming,” $550,000 9/1/06-8/31/08. (NCE through
22. Center for Disease Control, “Enhancing Shared Decision Making in Prostate Cancer
Screening,” M. Wilkes, P.I. 4/05-3/08 (NCE through 8/09) (Co-investigator, 2.5%)
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 3 3/30/2009
Society of General Internal Medicine
- Editor, SGIM Forum and Ex Officio Member of Council, 2005-2008
American College of Physicians
California Medical Association
- Committee of Medical Student Representatives, 1981-1983
- California House Officers Medical Society
- Governing Council, 1986-1988
- Secretary, 1987-1988
- Delegate to the AMA-Resident Physicians Section, 1986-1988
UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY SERVICE:
University of California, Davis
-Director, Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, 1996-
-School of Public Health Mission and Vision Committee, 2006
-Search Committee Member, Associate Director Office of Sponsored Programs, 2005-6
UC Davis School of Medicine and Medical Center
- Chair, Nominations Committee, Graduate Group in Clinical Research, 2006-
- Chair, Search Committee for Executive Associate Dean, 2005
- Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on the Scholarly Project Requirement, 2004
- Dean’s MPH Advisory Board, 2003-
- Academic Senate Faculty Executive Committee, 2002-2005
- Research Affairs Committee, 1997-2002
- Ad Hoc Committee for Curricular Evaluation, 1996
- Dean's Managed Care Conference Evaluation Committee, 1996
- Committee on Educational Policy, 1995-1997
- Medical School Admission Committee (interviewed 3 candidates, 1995
- Shriners Outcomes Research Center Planning Committee, 1994-1995
(Co-chairperson; helped to develop proposal for presentation to Shriners 4/94)
- Strategic Planning: Research, 1994-1995
- Committee on Physician Health
- Information Services Oversight Committee, 1997-2004
- Utilization Review Committee, 1994-1995
Graduate Group in Epidemiology
-Chair, Membership Committee, 2007-
-Written Examination Committee, 2000-present
- Oral Examination Committee (ongoing) [Louise Miranda (1997), Bruce Hoar (1998), Peggy
Giannoni (2000), Ed Barakatt (2000), Banafsheh Sadeghi (2004), Nyann Wagner (2004), Madhan
UC Davis Department of Medicine
- Co-Vice Chair for Research, 2003-
- Search Committee Chair, Program in Vascular Health and Disease, 2005-6
- MD-RESPECT Ad Hoc Committee on Residency Reform, 2004-5
- Ad Hoc Residency Program Review Committee, 2003-4
UC Davis Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care
-Immediate Past Director, 2006-
- Director, 1996-2006
- Ad Hoc Planning Committee, 1995
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 4 3/30/2009
- Executive Committee, 1995-
UCLA Center for Health Sciences
- Risk Management Committee, 1988-1991
- Service Chiefs Committee, Medical Service, 1992-1993
- Ad Hoc Committee on Laboratory Utilization, 1992-1993
- Housestaff Selection Committee, 1992-1993
Society of General Internal Medicine
- SGIM Forum Editor (term 2005-2008)
- Lawrence Linn Research Award Selection Committee, 1993-
- Abstract Selection Committee, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
- Co-Chair, Abstract Selection Committee, 1995 National Meeting
- Chair, Scientific Program, 2000 Annual Meeting
U.S. Office of Technology Assessment
- Defensive Medicine Advisory Panel, 1992-1994
Medical Care, Journal of the American Medical Association, New England Journal of Medicine,
Journal of General Internal Medicine, Agency for Health Care Policy & Research, Annals of
Internal Medicine, Social Science and Medicine, General Hospital Psychiatry
GRADUATE STUDENT TEACHING:
Dissertation advisor/qualifying exam committee member for:
a) Lois Davis (PhD, UCLA School of Public Health)
b) Michael Wilkes (PhD, UCLA School of Public Health)
c) Marianne Laouri (PhD, UCLA School of Public Health)
d) Leah Estberg (PhD, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
e) Louise Miranda (PhD., UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
f) Peggy Giannoni (PhD, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
g) Bruce Hoar (PhD, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
h) Edward Barakatt, 2002-2004 (UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
i) Banafsheh Sadeghi 2004 (UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
j) Madan Dharmar, 2005 (UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
k) Nicole Bloser Gabler, 2005- (UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
l) Elizabeth Yakes, 2008 (UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology)
Senior research project advisor to:
a) Eliot Wong, MD (1995)
b) Ken Maybury, MD (1995)
c) Greg Redmond, MD (1995)
d) Christina Fritsch (1996-97)
e) Andrea Ciaranello (2002-5)
f) Ian Logan, MD (2006)
g) Christopher Moreland, MD (2007)
Research advisor to:
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 5 3/30/2009
a) Jennifer Wright, MS II (1995-1996)
b) Sheila Krishnan, BS (2002-2005)
c) Camille Cipri, BS (2005-2007)
Major professor for:
a) Yali Bair, Cand. Phil, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology
b) Carol Parise, Cand. Phil, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology
c) Karla Van Meter, Cand. Phil, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology
d) Nicole Bloser, Cand Phil, UCD Graduate Group in Epidemiology
a) Clinical Epidemiology and Study Design: small-group leader, July 2003 (18 contact hours),
July 2004 (8 contact hours), and July 2005 (10 contact hours)
b) K30 Introduction to Health Services Research: instructor of record, July-September, 2004;
July – September, 2005; July-September, 2006; July-August 2007; July-August 2008
c) EPI 291-001: co-instructor of record, Winter 2005, and Spring 2005
d) Chronic Disease Epidemiology (EPI 260), Guest Lecturer, “Case Mix Adjustment”, April
11, 2007; May 2008
UNDERGRADUATE AND MEDICAL STUDENT TEACHING:
2008 Instructor, Doctoring 2, “EPI Literature Review”, Summer
2007 Instructor of Record, FR001-019, “Topics in Health Communication”, Spring
2003 Instructor, IMD 470; 4th Year Elective – “Landmark Clinical Trials and Evidence-
Based Medicine” (Ezra Amsterdam, MD)
Instructor, EPI 299 (Karla Van Meter)
1998-0 Instructor, IMD 199 (Carrie Willis, Liza Silverio, Robert Dominguez)
1997 Instructor, IMD 199, Research Topics, Winter Quarter 1997
(Susanne Marie Holst; Megan Francis Mihok)
1995-7 Instructor, FR 001, Freshman Seminar, "A Critical Approach to Prevention"
INVITED PRESENTATIONS (past 5 years):
2008 “Psychiatry and Primary Care: Shared Challenges, Shared Solutions” Keynote
Address, Central California Psychiatric Society, Monterey, California, March 8.
2007 “The Death of the Cognitive Specialist?” Keynote Address, Northern California
Chapter, American College of Physicians, Dec 1.
2007 “Role of Generalists in the Clinical Translational Science Awards Program,” Society
of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, April 30.
2007 “Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs and the Health of the Public,”
Medicine Grand Rounds, West Los Angeles VA Medical Center, February 28
2006 “Patients as Agents for Quality in Primary Care,” Academy of Psychosomatic
Medicine 53rd Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona, November 17.
2006 “Developing a Strategic Plan for Research” (invited panelist), UCD Department of
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 6 3/30/2009
Psychiatry, November 3
2006 “Heterogeneity of Treatment Effects: What Is It and What Does It Mean?” Conference
on Role of Technology in Healthcare and Advocacy, San Francisco, October 26
2006 “Communicating Risk in DTCA” (invited panelist), AHRQ Effective Communication
Think Tank, Rockville, Maryland, September 28-29
2006 “Chronic Medical Conditions and Depression,” Depression Comorbidity Roundtable,
Prescott Medical Communications, Seattle, Washington, September 18
2006 “Impact of DTC on Prescribing.” National Consumers League (panel with Dean
Lillard and Joel Weissman), Washington DC, June 29
2006 “Direct to Consumer Advertising of Antidepressants and the Health of the Public”,
Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, University of Washington, Seattle, June 22
2006 “Using Standardized Patients in Research” SGIM Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA,
2006 “Scholarship in General Internal Medicine” (panel moderator), SGIM Regional
Meeting, Palo Alto, CA., March 17
2006 “Clinically Significant Heterogeneity of Treatment Effects: Absence of Evidence or
Evidence of Absence” Scientific Roundtable on HTE, Washington DC, March 8
2005 “Direct-to-Consumer Advertising in the US: Clinical and Ethical Considerations for
Rheumatologists,” American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting, San Diego,
CA, November 15
2005 “The Impact of Direct-to-Consumer Drug Advertising on Seniors’ Health, and Health
Care Costs.” United States Senate – Special Committee on Aging, Washington, DC,
2005 “Influence of Patients’ Requests for Directly Advertised Antidepressants,”
AcademyHealth Best Abstracts Plenary, Boston, MA, June 28
2005 “Influence of Patients’ Requests for Directly Advertised Antidepressants,” Bay Area
Health Care Quality and Outcomes Conference, Stanford, CA, May 27
2005 “Influence of Patients’ Requests for Directly Advertised Antidepressants”, Society of
General Internal Medicine Plenary Session, New Orleans, LA, May 12
2005 “Factors Influencing Mental Health Referral in Primary Care – Results from a
Randomized Trial Using Standardized Patients”, Society of General Internal Medicine
Plenary Session, New Orleans, LA, May 12
2005 “DTC Advertising and Quality of Care for Depression”, UC Berkeley Health Services
Research and Policy Analysis Seminar, Berkeley, CA, April 19
2004 “What Do Patients Want and How Can We Help Them Get It,” SNOCAP Convocation
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 7 3/30/2009
Plenary Speaker, Denver, Colorado, November 5.
2004 “Patient Influences on Medical Decision-Making”, Cognitive Perspectives on Mental
Health Practice, e National Institute of Mental Health Workshop, May 4.
2004 “Clinical Decision Making: Utilizing Evidence-Based Medicine”, Clinical
Application of Recent Advances in Pharmacology: For Physicians, Nurses and
Pharmacists. UC Davis Health System, April 23.
PUBLICATION LIST (Peer Reviewed):
(1) 1984 Kravitz RL: Why the Hippocratic Oath is Worth Preserving. The Pharos, 47(1):37-9.
(2) 1989 Kravitz RL, Shapiro MF, Linn LS: Risk Factors Associated With Participation in the
Ontario Doctors' Strike. Am J Public Health, 79:1227-33.
(3) 1990 Kravitz RL: Conflicting Responsibilities in Health Services Research. Journal of
General Internal Medicine, 5(2):170-174.
(4) 1990 Kravitz RL, Linn LS, Shapiro MF: Physician Satisfaction Under the Ontario Health
Insurance Plan. Medical Care, 28(6):502-512.
(5) 1990 Kravitz RL, Linn LS, Zawacki B: To Strike or Not to Strike: Housestaff Attitudes
and Behaviors During a Hospital Work Action. Western Journal of Medicine,
(6) 1991 Hayward RA, Kravitz RL, Shapiro MF: Program Directors' Attitudes Towards
Residents' Care of Persons With AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 6:18-
(7) 1991 Zawacki B, Kravitz RL, Linn LS: Ethical Counseling for Housestaff Considering a
Strike. The Journal of Clinical Ethics, 2(1):5-10.
(8) 1991 Hayward RA, Kravitz RL, Shapiro MF: The U.S. and Canadian Health Care Systems:
Views of Resident Physicians. Annals of Internal Medicine, 115(4):308-314.
(9) 1991 Kravitz RL, Rolph JE, McGuigan K: Malpractice Claims Data as a Quality
Improvement Tool: I. Epidemiology of Error in Four Specialties. JAMA,
(10) 1991 Rolph JE, Kravitz RL, McGuigan K: Malpractice Claims Data as a Quality
Improvement Tool: II. Is Targeting Effective? JAMA, 266(15):2093-2097.
(11) 1992 Greenfield S, Nelson EC, Zubkoff M, Manning W, Rogers W, Kravitz RL, Keller A,
Tarlov AR, Ware JE: Variations in Resource Utilization Among Medical Specialties
and Systems of Care: Results From the Medical Outcome Study. JAMA,
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 8 3/30/2009
(12) 1992 Kravitz RL, Greenfield S, Rogers W, Manning WG, Zubkoff M, Nelson EC, Tarlov
AR, Ware JE: Differences in the Mix of Patients Among Medical Specialties and
Systems of Care: Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. JAMA, 267(12):1617-
(13) 1992 Kravitz RL, Shapiro MF: Duration and Intensity of Striking Among Participants in
the Ontario, Canada Doctors' Strike. Medical Care, 30(8):737-743.
(14) 1992 Kravitz RL, Leake B, Linn LS, Zawacki B: A Public Hospital Nurses' Strike.
Western Journal of Nursing Research, 14(5):645-661.
(15) 1992 Kravitz RL, Linn LS: Conditions That Justify Strikes as Perceived by Housestaff at a
Public Hospital. Academic Medicine, 67:342-344.
(16) 1992 Wilkes M, Kravitz RL: Medical Researchers and the Media: Attitudes Toward
Public Dissemination of Research. JAMA, 268(8):999-1003.
(17) 1992 Sherbourne C, Hays RD, DiMatteo R, Kravitz RL, Ordway L: Antecedents of
Adherence to Medical Treatment: Results From the Medical Outcomes Study.
Behavioral Medicine, 15(5):447-468.
(18) 1993 Kravitz RL, Thomas N, Sloss E, Hosek S: Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction in
Institutional Practice: Results From A Survey of Military Physicians. Military
(19) 1993 DiMatteo R, Sherbourne CD, Hays RD, et al: Physicians' Characteristics and Patient
Adherence to Medical Treatment in the Medical Outcomes Study. Health
(20) 1993 Kravitz RL, Hays RD, Sherbourne C, et al: Recall of Recommendations and
Adherence to Advice Among Patients With Chronic Medical Conditions: Results
From the Medical Outcomes Study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 153(16):1869-
(21) 1994 Kravitz RL, Cope DW, Bhrany V, Leake B: Internal Medicine Patients' Expectations
for Care During Office Visits. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 9(2):75-81.
(22) 1994 Hays, RD, Kravitz RL, Mazel, RM, Sherbourne CD, DiMatteo M.R, Rogers WH, and
Greenfield S. The Impact of Patient Adherence on Health Outcomes for Patients with
Chronic Disease in the Medical Outcomes Study. Journal of Behavioral Medicine,
(23) 1994 Kravitz RL, Reuben DB, Davis JW, Mitchell A, Hemmerling K, Kington, RS, and Siu
AL: Geriatric Home Assessment After Hospital Discharge. Journal of American
Geriatrics Society, 42(12):1229-1234. (December 1994) .
(24) 1995 Kravitz RL, Greenfield S. Variations in Resource Utilization Among Medical
Specialties and Systems of Care. Annual Reviews Public Health, 16:431-445.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 9 3/30/2009
(25) 1995 Kravitz RL, Laouri M, Kahan JP, Guzy P, Sherman CT, Hilborne L, Brook RH.
Validity of Criteria for Detecting Underuse of Coronary Revascularization. JAMA,
(26) 1995 Wilkes M, Kravitz RL: Policies, Practices, and Attitudes of North American Journal
Editors. J Gen Intern Med, 10:443-450.
(27) 1995 Borowsky SJ, Kravitz RL, Laouri M, Leake B, Partridge J, Kaushik V, Haywood LJ,
Brook R. Effect of Physician Specialty on Use of Necessary Coronary Angiography.
J Am Coll Cardiol, 26(6):1484-91.
(28) 1996 Siu AL, Kravitz RL, Keeler E, Hemmerling K, Kington R, Davis JW, Mitchell A,
Burton TM, Morgenstern H, Beers MH, and Reuben DB. Postdischarge Geriatric
Assessment of Hospitalized Frail Elderly Patients. Arch Intern Med, 156:76-81.
(29) 1996 Kravitz RL. Patients' Expectations for Medical Care: An Expanded Formulation
Based on Review of the Literature. Medical Care Research and Review, 53(1):3-27.
(30) 1996 Glassman PA, Rolph JE, Petersen LP, Bradley MA, Kravitz RL. Physicians' Personal
Malpractice Experiences Are Not Related to Defensive Clinical Practices. Journal of
Health Politics, Policy and Law, 21(2):219-242.
(31) 1996 Kravitz RL, Delafield J, Hays RD, Drazin R, Conolly M. Bedside Charting of Pain
Levels in Hospitalized Patients with Cancer. A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Pain
Symptom Mgmt, 11(2):81-87.
(32) 1996 Kravitz RL, Callahan EJ, Paterniti D, Antonius D, Dunham M, Lewis CE. Prevalence
and Sources of Patients' Unmet Expectations for Care. Annals Intern Med, 1996;
(33) 1996 Kravitz RL, Callahan EJ, Azari R, Antonius D, and Lewis CE. Assessing Patients'
Expectations in Ambulatory Medical Practice: Does The Measurement Approach
Make A Difference? J Gen Intern Med, 12(1):67-72.
(34) 1997 Glassman PA, Kravitz RL, Petersen LP, Rolph JE. Differences in Clinical Decision
Making Between Internists and Cardiologists. Arch Intern Med, 157:506-512.
(35) 1997 Laouri M, Kravitz RL, French WJ et al. Underuse of Coronary Revascularization
Procedures: Application of a Clinical Method. J Am Col Cardiol, 29:891-97.
(36) 1997 Laouri M, Kravitz RL, Bernstein SJ et al. Underuse of Coronary Angiography:
Application of a Clinical Method. International J Quality Health Care, 9:15-22.
(37) 1997 Kravitz RL, Laouri M. Measuring and Averting Underuse of Necessary Cardiac
Procedures: A Summary of Results and Future Directions. The Joint Commission
Journal on Quality Improvement, 23:268-76.
(38) 1997 Kravitz RL, Rolph J, Petersen L. Omission-Related Malpractice Claims and the
Limits of Defensive Medicine. Medical Care Research and Review, 54(4):456-71.
(39) 1997 Kravitz RL, Park RE, Kahan JP. Measuring the Clinical Consistency of Panelists'
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 10 3/30/2009
Appropriateness Ratings: The Case of Coronary Bypass Surgery. Health Policy,
(40) 1997 Bell R, Kravitz RL, Siefkin AD, Foulke GE. Physicians’ Attitudes Toward Managed
Care: Assessment and Potential Effects on Practice Behaviors. Am J Managed Care,
(41) 1998 Kravitz RL, Zwanziger J, Sloss EM, McCaffrey D, Hosek SD. Effect of a Large
Managed Care Program on Emergency Department Use: Results from the
CHAMPUS Reform Initiative evaluation. Annals of Emergency Medicine,
(42) 1998 Foulke GE, Bell RA, Siefkin AD, Kravitz RL. Attitudes and Behavioral Intentions
Regarding Managed Care: A Comparison of Academic and Community Physicians.
Am J Managed Care, 4(4).
(43) 1998 Lazarus GS, Foulke G, Bell RA, Siefkin AD, Keller K, Kravitz RL. The Effects of a
Managed Care Educational Program on Faculty and Trainee Knowledge, Attitudes
and Behavioral Intentions. Academic Med, 73(10): 1107-13.
(44) 1999 Bell RA, Wilkes MS, Kravitz RL. Advertisement-induced Prescription Drug
Requests: Patients' Anticipated Reactions to a Physician Who Refuses. J Family
Practice, 48(6): 446-52.
(45) 1999 Donohoe MT, Kravitz RL, Wheeler DB, Chandra R, Chen A, Humphries N. Reasons
for Outpatient Referrals from Generalists to Specialists. J General Intern Med, 14:
(46) 1999 Kravitz RL, Bell RA, Franz CE. A Taxonomy of Requests by Patients (TORP): a
New System for Understanding Clinical Negotiation in Office Practice. J Fam Pract
(47) 2000 Kravitz RL, Callahan EJ. Patients’ Perceptions of Omitted Examinations and Tests: a
Qualitative Analysis. J General Intern Med, 15(1): 38-45.
(48) 2000 Shekelle PG, Kravitz RL, Beart J, Marger M, Wang M, Lee M. Are Nonspecific
Practice Guidelines Potentially Harmful? A Randomized Comparison of the Effect
of Nonspecific versus Specific Guidelines on Physician Decision Making. Health
Services Research, 34(7): 1429-1448.
(49) 2000 Bell, RA, Kravitz RL, Wilkes MS. Direct-to-Consumer Prescription Drug
Advertising, 1989-1998. A Content Analysis of Conditions, Targets, Inducements,
and Appeals. J Fam Pract, 49 (4): 329-35.
(50) 2001 Wilkes MS, Bell RA, Kravitz RL. Direct-to-Consumer Prescription Drug Advertising:
Trends, Impact and Implications. Health Affairs, 19 (2): 110-28.
(51) 2000 Zwanziger J, Kravitz RL, Hosek SD, Hart K, Sloss EM, Sullivan O, Kallich JD.
Providing Managed Care Options for a Large Population: Evaluating the
CHAMPUS Reform Initiative. Civilian Health and Medical Program of the
Uniformed Services. Mil Med, 165(5):403-10.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 11 3/30/2009
(52) 2000 Kravitz RL, Helms LJ, Azari, R, Antonius D, Melnikow J. Comparing the Use of
Physician Time and Health Care Resources Among Patients Speaking English,
Spanish and Russian. Medical Care 38:728-38.
(53) 2000 Zatzick DF, Kang S, Kim SY, Leigh P, Kravitz R, Drake C, Sue S, Wisner D.
Patients with Recognized Psychiatric Disorders in Trauma Surgery: Incidence,
Inpatient Length of Stay and Costs. The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection and
Critical Care. 49: 487-95.
(54) 2000 Kaplan SH, Kravitz RL, Greenfield S. A Critique of Current Uses of Health Status
for Assessing Treatment Effectiveness and Quality of Care. Medical Care 38:
(suppl) II 184-91.
(55) 2000 Bell RA, Wilkes MS, Kravitz RL. The Educational Value of Consumer-Targeted
Prescription Drug Print Advertising. J Fam Pract 49: 1092-8.
(56) 2000 Ginsburg ME, Kravitz RL, Sandberg WA. A Survey of Physician Attitudes and
Practices Concerning Cost-Effectiveness in Patient Care. West J Med 173: 390-94.
(57) 2001 Derlet RW, Richards JR, Kravitz RL. Frequent Overcrowding in U.S. Emergency
Departments. Academic Emergency Medicine 8: 151-55.
(58) 2001 Asch SM, Sloss EM, Hogan C, Brook RH, Kravitz RL. Measuring Underuse of
Necessary Care Among Elderly Medicare Beneficiaries Using Inpatient and
Outpatient Claims. JAMA 294: 2325-33.
(59) 2001 Zwanziger J, Hart K, Kravitz RL, Sloss E. Evaluating Large and
ComplexDemonstrations: The CHAMPUS Reform Initiative Experience. Health
Services Research 35(6): 1229-44.
(60) 2001 Kravitz RL. Measuring Patients’ Expectations and Requests. Annals of Internal
Medicine. 134: 881-8.
(61) 2001 Berland GK, Elliott MN, Morales LS, Algazy JI, Kravitz RL, Broder MS, Kanouse
DE, Munoz JA, Puyol JA, Lara M, Watkins KE, Yang H, McGlynn EA. Health
Information on the Internet: Accessibility, Quality, and Readability in English and
Spanish. JAMA. 285:2612-21.
(62) 2001 Molitor F, Kravitz RL, To YY, Fink A. Methods in Survey Research: Evidence for
the Reliability of Group Administration vs Personal Interviews. Am J Public
(63) 2001 Zatzick DF, Kang SM, Hinton WL, Kelly RH, Hilty DM, Franz CE, Le L, Kravitz
RL. Posttraumatic Concerns: a Patient-Centered Approach to Outcome Assessment
After Traumatic Physical Injury. Med Care. 39:327-39.
(64) 2001 Oliver JW, Kravitz RL, Kaplan SH, Meyers FJ. Individualized Patient Education
and Coaching to Improve Pain Control Among Cancer Outpatients. J Clin Oncol.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 12 3/30/2009
(65) 2001 Mangione-Smith R, McGlynn EA, Elliott, MN, McDonald L, Franz CE, Kravitz
RL. Parent Expectations for Antibiotics, Doctor-Parent Communication, and
Satisfaction. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 151:800-6.
(66) 2001 Bair YA, Garcia JA, Romano PS, Siefkin AD, Kravitz RL. Does "Mainstreaming"
Guarantee Access to Care for Medicaid Recipients with Asthma? J Gen Intern
(67) 2001 Melnikow J, Romano P, Gilbert WM, Schembri M, Keyzer J, Kravitz RL. Vaginal
Birth After Cesarean in California. Obstet Gynecol. 98:421-6.
(68) 2001 Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Thom D, Krupat E, Azari R. Unsaid but Not Forgotten:
Patients’ Unvoiced Desires in Office Visits. Arch Intern Med; 161:1977-84.
(69) 2001 Krupat E, Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Thom D, Azari R. When Physicians and Patients
Think Alike: Patient-Centered Beliefs and Their Impact on Satisfaction and Trust. J
Fam Pract; 50:1057-62.
(70) 2001 Goore Z, Mangione-Smith R, Elliott MN, McDonald L, Kravitz RL. How Much
Explanation is Enough? A Study of Parent Requests for Information and Physician
Responses. Ambul Pediatr. 1(6):326-32
(71) 2002 Kravitz RL, Bell RA, Azari R, Krupat E, Kelly-Reif S, Thom D. Request
Fulfillment in Office Practice: Antecedents and Relationship to Outcomes. Med
(72) 2002 Mintzes B, Barer ML, Kravitz RL, Kazanjian A, Bassett K, Lexchin J, Evans RG,
Pan R, Marion SA. Influence of Direct to Consumer Pharmaceutical Advertising
and Patients’ Requests on Prescribing Decisions: Two Site Cross Sectional Survey.
(73) 2002 Kravitz RL, Bell RA, Franz CE, Elliot M, Amsterdam E, Willis C, Silverio L.
Characterizing Patient Requests and Physician Responses in Office Practice. Health
Services Research; 37:217-38.
(74) 2002 Leigh JP, Kravitz RL, Schembri M, Samuels SJ, Mobley S. Physician career
satisfaction across specialties. Arch Intern Med;162(14):1577-84.
(75) 2002 Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Thom DH, Krupat E, Azari R. Unmet Expectations for Care
and the Patient-Physician Relationship. J Gen Intern Med; Nov: 17(11): 817-824.
(76) 2002 Thom DH, Kravitz RL, Bell RA, Azari R, Krupat E. Patient Trust in the Physician:
Relation to Patient Requests. Family Practice; 19: 476-483.
(77) 2003 Mintzes B, Barer ML, Kravitz RL, Bassett K, Lexchin J, Kazanjian A, Evans RG,
Pan R, Marion SA. How Does Direct-to-Consumer Advertising (DTCA) Affect
Prescribing? A Survey in Primary Care Environments With and Without Legal
DTCA. CMAJ; Sep: 2, 2003; 169 (5).
(78) 2003 Kravitz RL, Bell RA, Azari R, Thom D, Krupat E. What do Patients Want and Do
They Get It? Requests for Services in Office Practice. Arch Intern Med; July 28,
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 13 3/30/2009
2003; 163: 1673-1681.
(79) 2003 Street RL, Krupat E, Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Haidet P. Beliefs About Control in the
Physician-Patient Relationship: The Effect on Communication in Medical
Encounters. JGIM; 2003; 18:609-616.
(80) 2003 Kravitz RL, Leigh P, Samuels SJ, Schembri M, Gilbert WM. Tracking Career
Satisfaction and Perceptions of Quality Among US Obstetricians and
Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 102:463-70.
(81) 2003 Garcia JA, Paterniti DA, Romano PS, Kravitz RL. Patient Preferences for
Physician Characteristics in University-Based Primary Care Clinics. Ethn Dis
(82) 2003 Ringel SP, Vickrey BG, Schembri M and Kravitz RL. Neurologists’ Assessment of
Their Ability to Provide High Quality Care. Neurology 61: 612-15.
(83) 2003 Kravitz RL, Krackhardt D, Franz C, Romano P, Melnikow J, Zach A. Networked
for Change? Identifying California’s Obstetrical Opinion Leaders and Assessing
Their Opinions on Cesarean Delivery. Social Science & Medicine 2003; 57: 2423-
(84) 2004 Hodge MB, Romano PS, Harvey D, Samuels SJ, Olson VA, Sauvé MJ, Kravitz,
RL. Licensed Caregiver Characteristics and Staffing in California Acute Care
Hospital Units. J Nurs Adm. 2004; 34(3): 125-33.
(85) 2004 Thom DH, Kravitz RL, Kelly-Reif S, Sprinkle RV, Hopkins JR, Rubenstein LV.
A new instrument to measure appropriateness of services in primary care.
Int J Qual Health Care 16:133-40.
(86) 2004 Lang MA, Romano PS, Hodge M, Kravitz RL, Olson V. A Systematic Review on
the Effects of Nurse Staffing on Patient, Nurse Employee, and Hospital Outcomes.
J Nurs Adm. 2004; 34(7/8): 326-37.
(87) 2004 Kravitz RL, Duan N, Braslow J. Evidence-based medicine, heterogeneity of
treatment effects, and the trouble with averages. Milbank Quarterly 2004;82:661-
(88) 2004 Fancher TL, White RH, Kravitz RL. Combined use of rapid D-dimer testing and
estimation of clinical probability in the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis:
systematic review. BMJ. 2004 Oct 9;329(7470):821.
(89) 2005 Bair YA, Gold EB, Azari RA, Greendale G, Sternfeld B, Harkey MR, Kravitz RL.
Use of Conventional and Complementary Health Care during the Transition to
Menopause: Longitudinal Results from the Study of Women’s Health Across the
Nation (SWAN). Menopause 2005; 12(1): 31-39.
(90) 2005 Shrank WH, Young HN, Ettner SL, Glassman P, Asch SM; Kravitz RL. Do the
incentives in 3-tier pharmaceutical benefit plans operate as intended? Results from
a physician leadership survey. Am J Manag Care. 2005;11(1):16-22.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 14 3/30/2009
(91) 2005 Young HN, Paterniti DA, Bell RA, Kravitz RL. Do Prescription Drug Ads Educate
the Public? The Consumer Answers. Drug Information Journal, Vol. 39, pp. 25–33.
(92) 2005 Kravitz RL, Epstein R., Feldman MD, Franz CE, Azari R, Wilkes MS, Hinton L,
Franks P. Influence of Patients’ Requests for Directly Advertised Antidepressants:
A Randomized Controlled Trail. JAMA 293 (16): 1995-2002.
(93) 2005 Richard L. Kravitz, Jonathan D. Neufeld, Michael A. Hogarth, Debora A. Paterniti,
William Dager, Richard H. White. From Insight to Implementation: Lessons from a
Multi-site Trial of a PDA-based Warfarin Dose Calculator. In: Advances in Patient
Safety: From Research to Implementation. Volume 3, AHRQ Publication Nos.
050021 (3). February 2005. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality,
(94) 2005 Street RL Jr, Gordon HS, Ward MM, Krupat E, Kravitz RL. Patient participation in
medical consultations: why some patients are more involved than others. Med Care.
(95) 2005 Epstein RM, Franks P, Fiscella K, Shields CG, Meldrum SC, Kravitz RL,
Duberstein PR. Measuring patient-centered communication in patient-physician
consultations: theoretical and practical issues. Soc Sci Med. 61:1516-28.
(96) 2006 Shrank WH, Joseph GJ, Choudhry NK, Young HN, Ettner SL, Glassman P, Asch
SM, Kravitz RL. Physicians' perceptions of relevant prescription drug costs: do
costs to the individual patient or to the population matter most? Am J Manag Care.
(97) 2006 Shrank WH, Asch SM, Joseph GJ, Young HN, Ettner SL, Kholodenko Y, Glassman
P, Kravitz RL. Physicians' perceived knowledge of and responsibility for managing
patients' out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs. Ann Pharmacother. 40(9):1534-
(98) 2006 Kravitz RL, Franks P, Feldman M, Meredith LS, Hinton L, Franz C, Duberstein P,
Epstein RM. What drives referral from primary care physicians to mental health
specialists? A randomized trial using actors portraying depressive symptoms. J Gen
Intern Med. 21(6):584-9.
(99) 2006 Bair YA, White RH, Kravitz RL. Mandating coverage of biologic therapies for
rheumatic disease: where evidence and politics meet. Arthritis Rheum. 55(3):353-4.
(100) 2006 Ciaranello AL, Molitor F, Leamon M, Kuenneth C, Tancredi D, Diamant AL,
Kravitz RL. Providing health care services to the formerly homeless: a quasi-
experimental evaluation. J Health Care Poor Underserved; 17:441-61.
(101) 2006 Tarn, DM, Heritage J, Paterniti D, Hays RD, Kravitz RL, Wenger NS. Physician
communication when prescribing new medications. Arch Intern Med; 166:1855-
(102) 2006 Young HN, Bell RA, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Types of information
physicians provide when prescribing antidepressants. J Gen Intern Med. 21:1172-
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 15 3/30/2009
(103) 2006 Tarn DM, Paterniti DA, Heritage J, Hays RD, Kravitz RL, Wenger NS. Physician
communication about the cost and acquisition of newly prescribed medications. Am J
Manag Care; 12:657-64.
(104) 2006 Franz CE, Epstein R, Miller KN, Brown A, Song J, Feldman M, Franks P, Kelly-Reif
S, Kravitz RL. Caught in the act? Prevalence, predictors, and consequences of
physician detection of unannounced standardized patients. HSR: Health Services
(105) 2006 Jerant A, Kravitz RL, Rooney M, Amerson S, Kreuter M, Franks P. Effects of a
tailored interactive multimedia computer program on determinants of colorectal
cancer screening: A randomized controlled pilot study in physician offices. Patient
Educ Couns. 66:67-74.
(106) 2006 Srinivasan M, Franks P, Meredith LS, Fiscella K, Epstein RM, Kravitz RL.
Connoisseurs of care? Unannounced standardized patients’ ratings of physicians.
Med Care. 44:1092-8.
(107) 2006 Feldman MD, Franks P, Epstein RM, Franz CE, Kravitz RL. Do patient requests for
antidepressants enhance or hinder physicians’ evaluation of depression? A
randomized controlled trial. Med Care. 44: 1107-13.
(108) 2007 Kalauokalani D, Franks P, Oliver JW, Meyers FJ, Kravitz RL. Can patient coaching
reduce racial/ethnic disparities in cancer pain control? Secondary analysis of a
randomized controlled trial. Pain Med. 8:17-24.
(109) 2007 Greenfield S, Kravitz R, Duan N, Kaplan SH. Heterogeneity of Treatment Effects:
Implications for Guidelines, Payment, and Quality Assessment. Am J Med 120(4A):
(110) 2007 Fiscella K, Franks P, Srinivasan M, Kravitz RL, Epstein R. Ratings of physician
communication by real and standardized patients. Ann Fam Med. 5:151-8.
(111) 2007 Vanderveen KA, Paterniti DA, Kravitz RL, Bold RJ. Diffusion of surgical techniques
in early stage breast cancer: variables related to adoption and implementation of
sentinel lymph node biopsy. Ann Surg Oncol. 14:1662-9.
(112) 2007 Epstein RM, Shields CG, Franks P, Meldrum SC, Feldman M, Kravitz RL. Exploring
and validating patient concerns: relations to prescribing for depression. Ann Fam
(113) 2007 Franz CE, Barker JC, Kravitz RL, Flores Y, Krishnan S, Hinton L. Nonmedical
influences on the use of cholinesterase inhibitors in dementia care. Alzheimer Dis
Assoc Disord. 21:241-8.
(114) 2007 Feldman MD, Franks P, Duberstein PR, Vannoy S, Epstein R, Kravitz RL. Let's not
talk about it: suicide inquiry in primary care. Ann Fam Med. 5:412-8.
(115) 2007 Geraghty EM, Franks P, Kravitz RL. Primary Care Visit Length, Quality, and
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 16 3/30/2009
Satisfaction for Standardized Patients with Depression. J Gen Intern Med. 22:1641-7.
(116) 2007 Tentler A, Silberman J, Paterniti DA, Kravitz RL, Epstein RM. Factors Affecting
Physicians' Responses to Patients' Requests for Antidepressants: Focus Group Study.
J Gen Intern Med. 23:51-7.
(117) 2007 Hinton L, Franz CE, Reddy G, Flores Y, Kravitz RL, Barker JC. Practice constraints,
behavioral problems, and dementia care: primary care physicians' perspectives. J Gen
Intern Med. 22:1487-92.
(118) 2008 Tarn DM, Paterniti DA, Kravitz RL, Heritage J, Liu H, Kim S, Wenger NS. How
much time does it take to prescribe a new medication? Patient Educ Couns. 72:311-9.
(119) 2008 Marcin JP, Li Z, Kravitz RL, Dai JJ, Rocke DM, Romano PS. The CABG surgery
volume-outcome relationship: temporal trends and selection effects in California,
1998-2004. Health Serv Res. 43(1 pt 1):174-92.
(120) 2008 Bell RA, Kravitz RL. Physician counseling for hypertension: What do doctors really
do? Patient Educ Couns. 72:115-121.
(121) 2008 Jerant A, Kravitz R, Moore-Hill M, Franks P. Depressive symptoms moderated the
effect of chronic illness self-management training on self-efficacy. Med Care. 46:
(122) 2008 Kravitz RL, Duan N, White RH. N-of-1 trials of expensive biological therapies: a
third way? Arch Intern Med. 168:1030-3.
(123) 2008 Young HN, Bell RA, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Physicians’ shared
decision-making behaviors in depression care. Arch Intern Med. 168:1404-8.
(124) 2008 Chapman BP, Duberstein PR, Epstein RM, Fiscella K, Kravitz RL. Patient-centered
communication during primary care visits for depressive symptoms: what is the role
of physician personality? Med Care. 46:806-12.
(125) 2008 Duberstein PR, Chapman BP, Epstein RM, McCollumn KR, Kravitz RL. Physician
personality characteristics and inquiry about mood symptoms in primary care. J Gen
Intern Med. Sept 9 [Epub ahead of print] PMID 18780127
(126) 2008 Kravitz RL. Beyond gatekeeping: enlisting patients as agents for quality and cost
containment. J Gen Intern Med. 23(10):1722-3.
(127) 2008 Hay MC, Weisner TS, Subramanian S, Duan N, Niedzinski EJ, Kravitz RL.
Harnessing experience: exploring the gap between evidence-based medicine and
clinical practice. J Eval Clin Pract. 14(5):707-13.
(128) 2008 Kravitz RL, Ford DE. Introduction: chronic medical conditions and depression--
the view from primary care. Am J Med. 2008 Nov;121(11 Suppl 2):S1-7.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 17 3/30/2009
(129) 2008 Kravitz RL, Duan N, Niedzinski EJ, Hay MC, Subramanian SK, Weisner TS.
Milbank Q. What ever happened to N-of-1 trials? Insiders' perspectives and a
look to the future. 86(4):533-55.
(130) 2008 Li Z, Kravitz RL, Marcin JP, Romano PS, Rocke DM, Denton TA, Brindis RG,
Dai J, Amsterdam EA. Survival enhancing indications for coronary artery bypass
graft surgery in California. BMC Health Serv Res. 2008 Dec 16;8:257.
1999 Kravitz RL. Evaluation of Herbal Efficacy: Alternatives to the Randomized
Controlled Trial. In Eskinazi D, Blumenthal M, Farnsworth N, Riggins CW, eds.
Botanical Medicine: Efficacy, Quality Assurance, and Regulation. Larchmont, NY:
Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.; 1999: pp. 59-64.
1999 Kravitz RL, Callahan EJ, Paterniti DA, Antonius D, Dunham M, Lewis CE.
Prevalence and Sources of Patients’ Unmet Expectations for Care. In Charmaz K,
Paterniti DA, eds. Health, Illness, and Healing: Society, Social Context, and Self.
Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury Publishing Company; 1999: pp. 186-195.
2004 Kravitz RL. (contributing author) Bone Health and Osteoporosis: A Report of the
Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services;
2005 Kravitz HL, Kravitz RL. Subtleties of medical history taking. In: The Patient History:
Evidence-Based Approach. Tierney LM, Henderson MC (eds). New York: Lang
NON-PEER REVIEW PUBLICATION LIST:
1996 Kravitz RL: Viability and Benefits of Geriatric Home Assessment after Hospital
Discharge. Clinical Geriatrics, 4(2):4A-13A, February, 1996.
1997 Kravitz RL, Kravitz HL. Patients’ Expectations for Care. Odyssey Magazine.
2001 Kravitz RL. Over-use and under-use of cardiac procedures. Symposium Proceedings:
Interventional Cardiology and Heart Surgery. Turin, Italy: Arturo Pinna Pintor
Foundation. January 20, 2001.
2007 Fancher TL, Kravitz R. In the Clinic: Depression. Ann Intern Med; 146(9): ITC5-1-
2007 Kravitz RL. Health Care at Risk: A Critique of the Consumer-Driven Movement.
JAMA. 298 (11): 1336-1337.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 18 3/30/2009
EDITORIALS AND LETTERS TO THE EDITOR:
1994 Kravitz RL, and Romano, PS: Managed Care Cost Containment and the Law of
Unintended Consequences. The American Journal of Managed Care, II (3):323-4.
1998 Kravitz RL. In Defense of Qualitative Research: Responses to the Poses and Isen
Perspectives Article. J Gen Intern Med, 13(1):65.
1998 Kravitz RL. Patient Satisfaction: Critical Outcome or Trivial Pursuit? J Gen Intern
Med, 13(4): 280-2.
1999 Kravitz RL. Ethnic Differences in Cardiovascular Procedures: New Insights and
New Challenges. Annals Intern Med, 3(130):231-3.
1998 Kravitz RL. Direct-to-consumer advertisement of prescription drugs. WJM, 173:
2000 Kravitz RL. Direct to consumer advertising of prescription drugs:
Implications for the patient-physician relationship. MS JAMA, 284: 2244.
2001 Asch SM, Sloss EM, Brook RH, Kravitz RL. Overuse of administrative data to
measure underuse of care. JAMA, 285: 735-37.
2001 Kravitz HL, Kravitz RL. Booknote: Margin of Error. Annals Intern Med.
2001 Kravitz RL, Melnikow J. Engaging patients in medical decision making. BMJ;
2004 Kravitz RL, Melnikow J. Medical Adherence Research: Time for a Change in
Direction? Medical Care; 42(3): 197-99
2005 Kravitz RL. Doing things better vs doing better things. Ann Fam Med. 2005;
2005 Kravitz RL, Chang S. Promise and perils for patients and physicians. N Engl J
2006 Almasi EA, Stafford RS, Kravitz RL, Mansfield PR. What are the public health
effects of direct-to-consumer drug advertising? PLoS Med;3(3):e145. Epub 2006
2007 Kravitz RL. Underuse of generic medications. Med Care. 45(2):107-8.
2007 Kravitz RL, Bell RA. Direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs:
balancing benefits and risks, and a way forward. Clin Pharmacol Ther
2008 Kravitz RL. Beyond gatekeeping: enlisting patients as agents for quality and cost-
containment. J Gen Intern Med 23: 1722-3.
Richard L. Kravitz, MD, MSPH 19 3/30/2009