IRS 2290 Form (HVUT) filing Delays for tax year 2011-2012 by stevesand


More Info
									An annual tax on the use of heavy highway vehicles is imposed in Section 4481 of the Internal
Revenue Code. The IRS uses Form 2290 to report this tax. The Internal Revenue Service has
stated that the law governing taxes imposed on the use of heavy highway vehicles (Form 2290)
will expire on September 30, 2011. The IRS Form 2290 for the new tax year beginning July 1,
2011 is not available at this time and has not yet been published by the IRS for the new tax
period. Due to the current situation, you can most likely expect a delay in the filing period for
heavy vehicle use tax form 2290. It is also very likely that we may also expect to see changes in
the new Form 2290 when it is published. This is based on the fact that the Heavy Vehicle Use
Tax Schedule 1 for previous tax periods has typically changed slightly from year to year.

Although the 2290 form is not yet ready, you can still get your vehicle tags for the tax period
beginning July 1, 2011. Existing regulations allow states to register heavy highway vehicles
when the registration application is received during the months of July, August, or September. A
Schedule 1 for the previous year (July 2010 - June 2011) then state offices can accept it as a
proof of payment.

You can also get your newly acquired heavy highway vehicles registered by the state without
having a proof of tax payment. If you present an original or a photocopy of the bill of sale
showing that the vehicle was acquired during the 60 days preceding the date that the state
receives the application for registration.

Taxpayers should be aware that the IRS strictly discourages sending any old/previous form or
payment to the IRS in order to file HVUT for new tax period (2011-2012). If the older form is
sent to the IRS, the payment will be applied towards the tax account and a Schedule 1 will not
be issued. However, they will send a notice to send a new form when it becomes available.

We will keep you updated on the latest changes as we get them from the IRS. In the meantime,
if you have already filed a 2290 return for the tax year 2010-2011, then you should contact the
IRS at 866-699-4096 to get a copy of your Schedule 1. If you have filed through one of the IRS
authorized E-File providers such as then you need to get in touch with
them to get a copy of your Schedule 1.

To top