1. Why are all these words related?
2. And these ones?
3. Look at these pictures. What do you know about them?
1. Read the following test
WELCOME TO LONDON!
London is situated in the South-East of Great Britain. Over seven
million people live and work in London. It is the biggest city in the
U.K. It is also one of the most important cities in the world for
business and tourism.
A quick and easy way to get to different
places in the city is to use the underground
or “the tube” as it is called in London, it is the
oldest in the world. You can see much more
of the city from one of its famous red buses
or from an open-top bus for tourists. The
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is a modern
railway line, its trains don’t have drivers! You
can also get one of the typical black taxis.
And why not a boat trip along the River
There are many exciting things to do in London. The city has got
some of the best theatres and museums in the world. You can go
on the London Eye, a big wheel that takes you 135 metres above
London or to the Houses of Parliament to see the clock tower. In
fact, Big Ben is the name of one of the bells. Buckingham Palace is
the London home of the Queen. You can go shopping to Oxford
Street or to Harrods. There are also hundreds of street markets,
they sell all kind of things: food, clothes, jewellery, music and
furniture. The best known are Portobello Road and Camden.
You can eat food from all over the world in London or why not
have some English Fish and Chips? Some of the most famous
English football clubs are in London, Arsenal and Chelsea, or you
can go to Lord’s, the “home of cricket”. When you are tired you
can sit or walk in one of the eighty parks of London like Hyde Park
or Regent’s Park. These are some of the things you can find in
London but there are many more. Come and see!
1. Choose the correct answer.
1. London as a city
A London is the biggest city in the world.
B 7000 people live in London.
C Londoners work in tourism.
2. London’s transports
A London underground is known as “the tube”.
B You can’t reach the important places by tube.
C Double-decked blue buses are a symbol of London.
A There aren’t important museums in London.
B London Eye is a small wheel.
C Camden is a well-known street market.
A Big Ben is a bell in the clock tower, next to the Parliament.
B The King lives in Buckingham Palace.
C And the Queen lives in the Houses of Parliament.
A One of the English cricket clubs is Chelsea.
B You can rest in Hyde Park.
C Football players are not famous in London.
2. Complete the sentences about places in London.
1. A train without driver __________________________
2. A big wheel __________________________
3. The home of the Queen __________________________
4. An important park __________________________
5. A typical British food __________________________
6. A famous football team __________________________
7. The home of cricket __________________________
8. An expensive department store __________________________
9. A street market __________________________
10. The River __________________________
“A brochure of a city/town”
1. Preparation: Think about a city/town. Make notes to answer the questions.
a- Where is the town situated?
b- Is it big / small / noisy / friendly / boring / interesting?
c- Is there a good public transport?
d- What places would you recommend?
e- Are there any good cafés or shops? Where are they?
f- What would you recommend to eat? Is there any typical food / dish?
g- Are there any interesting parks?
h- What are the most popular sports?
2. Task: Write a brochure of your town. Look again at the model text about
London and use your ideas from exercise 1.
Paragraph 1: Introduction and favourite places.
… is a city in the …of Spain
Paragraph 2: Transport, shops and famous places
…has got lots of…
Paragraph 3: Typical food, parks and sports
…There are some interesting…
Dialogue - Asking for and giving directions
1. Imagine that you are at Piccadilly Circus. Complete the dialogue asking for and
giving directions to go to Buckingham Palace. Use the Phrase Bank and the map.
PHRASE BANK: Excuse me …
Is ….. near here?
How do I get there? or How can I get to…?
Turn left / right at … Street.
Go straight on, etc.
A: …………………. is Buckingham Palace near here?
B: Yes, it’s not too far.
A: How ………………….. there?
B: Go down Regent Street. Then turn …………. at Pall Mall Street and
go………… At Saint James Street ………………. Go straight on and at
…………..turn right; from there you can see Queen Victoria Memorial and
……………………….. is opposite.
A: A last question? What time is the Change of the Guard?
B: At 11.30 am. I think.
A: OK. …………………
2. Prepare a new dialogue with directions to go from Buckingham Palace to
USING THE INTERNET
We know you would like to go to London and you love surfing on the Internet but you
don’t have much free time for your journey, just a long weekend (5 days, 4 nights in
July) and you want to go with a friend.
1. Before going to another country you should read as many
things as possible about it: weather, customs, food … and
currency, this is to say, the money they use. At least you should
know the exchange rates.
The following web will help you a lot.
1. How many different coins are there? ___________________________________
2. And notes? Which ones? ____________________________________________
3. How many pounds are 60 euros? ______________________________________
2. Now you have to book your plane tickets. Remember! The cheapest class is
economic or traveller.
Fill in the following information:
Date Departure Arrival From To Flight Fare (€)
3. What’s next? Accommodation, of course! After a hard day as a tourist, you need
a room to rest, Try to find a Hostel or a B&B (Bed and Breakfast). They are the
cheapest! Better not very far from the town centre if you don’t want to spend all
your time and money on the underground or taxis. Have a look at:
1. Name of the establishment: _________________________________________
2. Address: ________________________________________________________
3. Telephone number: ________________________________________________
4. Nearest underground station: ________________________________________
5. Price: __________________________________________________________
4. Just one more thing: Enjoy your stay in London!