Interactive Tools for
League for Innovation in the
Conference on Information Technology
October 22, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
Jason L. Steinitz, PhD
Mary Beth Orrange
• Erie Community College
– Three campus environment; one urban,
two suburban with three distinct cultures
– 13,000 FTE
– Approximately 65 degree and certificate
– Union environment
• Title III Grant – Increasing Student Success
through the Integration of Academic and
Student Support Services
Readying Incoming Students for
• Why student online tools?
– Provide a single source of consistent,
accurate information about processes and
– Have that information accessible anytime,
– Provide that information in a format that is
engaging and interactive.
– By answering standard student questions
online, increase the personal one-on-one
contact and attention many students require.
Student Tools: Admissions
through Registration (STAR)
• Suite of tools developed to assist
students in making informed decisions
about their educational career.
• Areas of concern:
– the admissions process
– academic program selection
– grade point calculation.
• Four tools developed:
– Enrollment Guide
– Interest Inventory
– Department Informational Videos
– GPA calculator.
ECC Enrollment Guide
• Provides single source of information on
admission to ECC.
• Walks students step-by-step through the
• When completed, provides paperwork
students can bring to an admissions
counselor to facilitate the admissions
• Enrollment Guide
• We have received positive feedback from
Interactive application where students rate
interests within the different academic
programs offered at the college.
Students are directed to academic programs
in which they are interested.
Each video is 3 to 5 minutes in length;
provides an overview of each academic
Videos are a combination of faculty
interviews and classroom footage.
Culinary Arts Video
Students’ curriculum decisions are assisted
by the information in the videos.
Students required to have certain Grade
Point Average (GPA) to get into a specific
academic program are provided with an
online way to determine their GPA.
Other Uses of Tools
Admissions / Recruitment
College Success Skills Course
College Open House Presentations
Other departmental uses:
New student orientations
Potential adjunct faculty
• Enrollment Guide – average hits 1478 per
• Interest inventory – average hits 775 per
• GPA calculator – average hits 804 per
• Department Informational Videos - varies
Other RISE (Title III Grant)
Computerized Placement Test
Interdisciplinary Course Materials (ICM) for
RISE Bridge program
Computers around campus
Student Retention Alert (SRA)
Are students more involved or
more isolated as a result of
Are we assisting the advisement
and counseling process or
What can be done to encourage
the personal touch while
introducing technology based
Want more information?
Jason L. Steinitz Lida Mosovich
Professor of Geography Software Support
Erie Community College Specialist
(716) 851 1305 Erie Community College
(716) 851 1905
Mary Beth Orrange email@example.com
Professor of Mathematics
Erie Community College
(716) 851 1784
This PowerPoint Show
can be found at:
Tools can be found at