The Montefiore School Health Program (MSHP) provides comprehensive medical, dental, and
mental health services to students in 15 public schools in the Bronx. Our health centers are
located in the schools and serve all enrolled students, regardless of their ability to pay. The
Community Health Division of MSHP complements the clinic services by using a public health
approach to address the alarming health disparities that low-income, minority neighborhoods
experience. MSHP is working in partnership with two New York City organizations, City
Harvest and Just Food, to carry out a USDA funded Community Food Project (CFP).
The MSHP Community Health Division seeks to hire a Community Health Organizer (CHO) to
coordinate the Community Supported Agriculture Plus (CSA+) project and promote community
health programs in the school and surrounding community.
1. Coordinate public health activities in the host school that complement MSHP Clinic
services and the goals of the CFP.
2. Become familiar with programs and key people in the school and local community in
order to continue building partnerships and understand food access and health issues.
3. Work with the Director of Community Health to plan and prioritize strategies for
building an effective school-centered, public health campaign and to use those
experiences to foster borough-wide program and policy changes.
4. Provide supervision of interns and volunteers on an interim basis.
5. Coordinate outreach for the CSA+ program and other health promotion activities by
developing and distributing promotional materials and speaking directly with school and
6. Build opportunities for students, parents, and community members to raise their voices
around the health issues in their daily lives. Specifically, assist with Community Food
Assessment (CFA) activities by co-facilitating community meetings and focus groups,
developing assessment tools, and organizing with CFA leaders.
7. Work with the school, farmer, City Harvest, and CSA members to coordinate weekly
food delivery and distribution activities. Develop and maintain a system for members to
assist with food distribution.
8. Build leadership among CSA members to conduct outreach, assist with volunteer
recruitment, maintain records, and work towards long-term sustainability of the CSA.
9. Contribute to research, data collection and reporting for school-based and CFP activities.
10. Ensure that the school has procedures to achieve full clinic enrollment and appropriate
utilization of all services.
11. Resolve operations issues between the school and health center.
Requirements: A Bachelor’s Degree in community health or a related field and a minimum 1-3
years experience as a community organizer or public health promoter. Good communications
skills are essential, bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus, flexibility regarding work hours also
required. Hire date – Spring 2008. Salary – high 30K’s with full medical benefits. Please send
resumes and cover letters to: McHale Newport-Berra, at email@example.com