Basics of the Computer
CH02 Technology in Action
___1. Computer programs.
___2. Programs that enable you to accomplish tasks and use the computer in a productive manner.
___3. Two or more computers connected together to enable resource sharing.
___4. Used to manage network resources, this type of computer can be dedicated to a specific task.
___5. Floppy disks use this type of storage media.
___6. The layout or design/arrangement of computers connected to a network.
___7. A peripheral device uses this to attach to the computer.
___8. An electronic system that contains input, processing, output, and storage units.
___9. The physical components of a computer system.
___10. Hardware connected outside the main computer system unit.
___11. The hardware unit that contains the CPU, memory, hard disk, and power supply.
___12. The unit that contains the circuitry that enables a computer system to operate.
___13. The temporary storage available inside the computer.
___14. The processing unit.
___15. This type of program threatens a user’s privacy.
A Application software
C Computer network
D Console/system unit
H Memory (RAM)
I Motherboard/system board
Fill in the Blank
1. Used to perform complex, dedicated tasks, the _______________ is the fastest and most expensive
2. The four basic functions of a computer are ______, _______, ______, and _______.
3. Someone with the basic skills and knowledge of a responsible computer user is considered to be
4. Personal digital assistants (PDAs) are also known as ________ computers.
5. ___________ is data that has been processed and presented in an organized format.
6. The control unit and the arithmetic logic unit are located in the
7. ______ ______measures how quickly the CPU processes data.
8. An object connected to a network is known as a(n) _____.
9. A(n) ________________ network is often found in homes and allows each node to communicate
with all the others.
10. A(n) ______________ records system settings and can be used to roll back a system to an earlier
date in case a software installation has unexpected results.
11. When information is displayed on a monitor it is known as ______ copy.
12. The number of pixels displayed on the screen determines a monitor’s ___________.
13. _______ printers use a drum and toner in the printing process.
14. The quality of a printed page is measured in dpi, which is an acronym for _____ _____ _____.
15. The point-and-click format that modern operating systems use is called a(n)