SWEET AND SAVOURY PUFFED BROWN RICE ENERGY BARS
1 tsp/5 ml (approx) sesame oil
4 cups/1 L puffed brown rice
1 cup/250 ml dry-roasted peanuts
½ cup/125 ml toasted sesame seeds
½ cup/125 ml toasted sunflower seeds
4 sheets roasted nori* (each 7 inches/18 cm square), crumbled
1 cup/250 ml liquid or creamed honey
¾ tsp/4 ml sea salt
¼ tsp/1ml cayenne pepper
1) Grease a large mixing bowl with oil and a 13x9 inch baking dish. Add puffed
rice, peanuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and nori to bowl. Mix well.
2) In a large saucepan, boil honey, salt and cayenne over medium-high heat,
without stirring until reduced to ¾ cup/175 ml, about 5 min. Stir honey
mixture into puffed rice mixture. Scrape into prepared baking dish and
press down to smooth the top. Let cool completely.
3) With oiled knife, cut into bars. Store in airtight container for one month.
Makes 18 bars.
*if you cannot find roasted nori, hold nori few inches over a hot burner with
tongues and toast both sides
FRUIT AND PISTACHIO ENERGY BARS
1 ¼ cups/300 ml raw almonds
1 ½ cups/ 375 ml chopped pitted prunes
1 1/3 cups/ 325 ml shelled raw pistachios
1 cup/250ml chopped dried apricots
1 cup/250 ml dried cherries or cranberries
1 cup/250 ml organic green or golden raisins
½ cup whole spelt flour
1 ¼ tsp/6 ml ground cardamom or cinnamon
¾ tsp/4ml baking powder
¼ tsp/1 ml salt
¼ cup/ 60 ml liquid honey
1) In food processor, grind almonds to consistency of ground coffee. In
large bowl mix together almonds, prunes, pistachios, apricots, cherries
and raisins. Whisk flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt; stir into
2) Whisk honey with 1 ½ tbsp hot water, whisk in egg. Pour over fruit
mixture and mix thoroughly.
3) Scrape into greased 13X9 inch baking dish, press down and smooth top.
Bake in centre of 325°F until set and golden, about 35-40 minutes. Let
4) Cut into bars and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in airtight
container for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 18 bars.
DATE AND WALNUT ENERGY BARS
1 ½ lbs/750 g pitted dates
1 organic orange rind, finely grated
½ cup/125 ml orange juice
¼ tsp/1 ml sea salt
3 cups/750 ml walnut halves
1) In food processor, purée dates, orange rind, orange juice and salt. Add 2
cups of the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining walnuts
and pulse until coarsely chopped with some larger pieces remaining.
2) Scrape mixture into parchment paper-lined 9 inch square baking dish,
smooth top. Bake in centre of 200°F oven until no longer sticky and fairly
dry, about 3 hours. Let cool completely.
3) Cut into bars with moistened knife. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and
store in airtight container for up to 1 month.