Documents
Resources
Learning Center
Upload
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Minutes FEBRUARY 16_ 2010

VIEWS: 10 PAGES: 9

									                                                                               1




                    STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION MINUTES
                               February 16, 2010

   I. ROLL CALL: Hugh Mailly, James Walsh, Samantha Hopkins, Chris Lewis, Dylan
                 Zukowski, Allie McLaughlin, and Veronica Tumavicus were
                 absent. Andy Golas, Gina DeSantis, John Pommenville, Mike
                 Brill, and Jen Petrucci were excused. Courtney Sarantos was
                 excused.

 II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM FEBRUARY 9, 2010:   The minutes were accepted.

III.     PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Colleen Murphy
         A. Good evening and welcome. I’d like to welcome our first speaker up
            Jon Conlogue, Director of Res Life.
                                1. JON CONLOGUE: Hello everyone, I am here to
                                   give you information on two things. The
                                   first is one the Scanlon Hall project. You
                                   have probably picked up on renovations; the
                                   new entrance in the elevator area was one
                                   phase, the new sprinkler system and fire
                                   alarm system, re-doing the lobby, the new
                                   bathrooms. This is the next phase of
                                   Scanlon renovations. The first thing we
                                   will be ding is finishing the renovation of
                                   the Scanlon bathrooms and they will look
                                   like the new bathrooms now. We will also be
                                   re-doing the built-ins in student bedrooms
                                   that piece budge permitted. That includes
                                   taking the doors off of the closets that
                                   still have doors and putting curtains on
                                   them that should be nicer. We are going to
                                   be making some moves of some things that
                                   currently exist in Scanlon, specifically
                                   Health Services, which will be moved to the
                                   space currently occupied by ResLife. Where
                                   Health Services is now will be occupied by 5
                                   new triple rooms for students. And ResLife
                                   offices are moving to what we are calling it
                                   the Morgue or the Basement. All this stuff
                                   is great but one thing we are going to have
                                   to do is start working on this before the
                                   spring semester. There’s no way we can get
                                   this down for a Mid-August date if we don’t
                                   start now. Prep work will be done during
                                   this semester and this will no way impact
                                   the students living in Scanlon. I just
                                   learned Friday that we will start doing some
                                   demolition work during Spring Break. This
                                   means that some of the basement area will
                                   not be accessible to students. The laundry
                                   room, bike rack and elevator will all be
                                                    2

     accessible. I am unsure what will happen
     with the game room. The game room will be
     completely redone in the summer as well. A
     kitchen, a pool table, a carpet and a
     bathroom will all be installed down there.
     That should make the game room a much nicer
     space. Let me stop there and see if there
     are any question about Scanlon?
2.   KAYLA SMITH: I was wondering if you would
     be open to suggestions, specifically the
     girl’s bathroom shower curtains do not cover
     the whole stall and a lot of girls are
     uncomfortable with this. Maybe we could put
     doors on like in Dickinson and Davis
3.   JON CONLOGUE: I don’t know if we will be
     able to add doors but certainly we will get
     curtains that cover the entire space.
     Honestly, I think that everyone thought
     someone else was going to order the curtains
     we will change that in the upcoming year.
4.   NICOLE NALEPA: How many additional rooms
     will Scanlon gain?
5.   JON CONLOGUE: We will gain 19 student
     spaces, so 19 student beds.
6.   ALLY BURNS: I was wondering if you were
     going to be adding closets to some of the
     triples in Scanlon that do not have three
     closets.
7.   JON CONLOGUE: We are not going to be adding
     any closets in those rooms. If we started
     tearing out those built-ins and adding more
     with everything else that has been happening
     we don’t have the time or money to do that
     project.
8.   COLLEEN MURPHY: (POI) Jon brought down
     these boards with all the new finishing and
     colors so these will be at the back of SGA
     for about a week so if you want to look at
     those they will be down here.
9.   JON CONLOGUE: OK, housing sign-ups. First
     thing I am going to say is if you are
     planning on living on campus make sure you
     pay your housing sign-up. The deadline is
     March 1st; there are a few changes in the
     housing sign-ups. A few of the big ones
     are: number one, we don’t have any
     limitation on the amount of apartments that
     are co-ed. The only restrictions with that
     is that the individual bedrooms have to be
     single gender. Number two, we will have
     scheduled sign-up times for students who are
     signing up in normal double bedrooms. When
     students are given their appointment time
     with their lottery number. Dickinson Hall
     will be an all freshmen dorm. So, there
     will be more space for returning students
     favoring Dickinson being all freshmen.
                                                                       3

                            Courtney will not have any first year
                            students. The Honors special living unit
                            will be moved to Lamer Hall from Courtney.
                            An important change for apartment signups is
                            that we are now staggering the four and six
                            person apartments so that if you don’t get a
                            4 person apartment you can have time to
                            create a 6-person roster. Are there any
                            questions?
                        10. KRISTIN MAZEIKA: Is there any way next year
                            you could not give seniors the housing
                            bulletin? It’s heartbreaking and a waste of
                            paper.
                        11. JON CONLOGUE: We don’t know who will be 5th
                            year seniors. If we knew who would be
                            returning we would be glad to save some
                            trees but we just do not know.
                        12. CAITLIN BARRY: With Davis Hall’s new 24
                            hour quiet hours has this made you think at
                            all that there will be two dorms like this
                            on campus?
                        13. JON CONLOGUE: It has awakened me a few
                            times in the past weeks. We do have to keep
                            in perspective. Twenty-four hour quiet
                            hours have happened in first year dorms, and
                            in mixed dorms. So, I don’t’ think we
                            should draw too many conclusions in three
                            weeks. I could tell you stories about halls
                            that would make your hair stand on end, and
                            that have made my hair fall out. If you
                            look at things campus-wide, overall campus
                            damages are down so are there issues. Sure.
                            But we are working with students to help
                            level that out.
B.   Thank you Jon. Thank you to everyone that attended our pizza
     meetings. We got a lot of good feedback and it was nice to
     formally meet some of our senators!
C.   I move to accept Stephanie Close as an All college Representative
     for the remainder of the 2009/2010 academic year. The motion was
     seconded and passed.
D.   There is a Helping Hands for Haiti Music Benefit Show tonight in
     the Ely Main Lounge at 7:00pm sponsored by WSKB. Tomorrow from 1-2
     there will be an educational presentation by Professor Ruth Ohayon
     and Professor Keith Hollingsworth about Haitian Culture through
     Literature and Art. On Monday the 22cnd from 10-11:30 there will
     be another educational session held by Professor Tarin Weiss and
     Professor Brian Conz about the Geology and Geography of Haiti and
     the Response and Rebuilding of Haiti. Both of those will be held
     in the Scanlon Living Room. All are free to students so check
     those out.
E.   Persona is hosting a Haiti inspired poetry contest. Poems should
     be received by the 28th and sent to erafferty9534@wsc.ma.edu and
     will be featured in this springs edition of Persona.
F.   The next Speaker Series is coming up on the 24th at 7:00pm. The
     Onion, a satirical new organization will be coming and it will be
     held at Woodward.
                                                                             4

      G. I am passing around a contact list. Please write what committee
         will be counted for your attendance requirement. If you do not
         have a committee or do not know if you are on a committee, please
         see me after the meeting.
      H. The next meeting is on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 5:30pm.

IV.   BOARD OF TRUSTEES’ REPORT: RYAN MEERSMAN
      The Board of Trustees met last Thursday, February 11, 2010 to discuss
       a number of action items. The first set of action items under the
       Academic and Student Affairs were to permanently appoint Doctor
       Marsha Marotta as Dean of undergraduate Studies, Doctor Elizabeth
       Preston as dean of Faculty, and Doctor Kimberly Tobin as Dean of
       Graduate and Continuing Education. All were approved by the full
       board. Then, Mr. Robert A. Johnson, a graduate of Westfield State
       College and the CEO of Special Olympics Massachusetts, was approved
       by the full board to be eligible for an honorary degree. Also, two
       items to bring the cost of DGCE credits and tuition closer in line
       with the costs of what day students pay were approved. The last
       motion was to approve a $50.00 technology fee that would coincide
       with each online course taken. I had a lot questions about this
       motion and the issue was tabled until the March 25th meeting. The new
       charge would be applied to ALL online courses because they will all
       be listed under DGCE from now on. It is more expensive to run an
       online course than an in class course, but I felt even a proposed
       waiver system would cause problems among student who find themselves
       having to take an online course, and would like to find out more
       information about it.
                             1. ALYSSA ZABRIEK: My roommate is in three
                                online classes right now because her major
                                prevents her from overloading into any of
                                those classes so she is forced to take
                                online classes.
                             2. RYAN MEERSMAN: So this is not a scheduling
                                issue?
                             3. ALYSSA ZABRIEK: No, it’s that it is the
                                classes she can take for her major are
                                already filled and she HAS to take them
                                online.
                             4. RYAN MEERSMAN: I think what we covered in
                                the board meeting was that the waiver system
                                would cover students if they had no choice
                                but to take an online course. I would like
                                to see a clear guideline of how they would
                                be exempt from that.
                             5. SAM STONE: I am a biology major so my labs
                                are held at specific times once a week which
                                make it hard to take core classes. Online
                                classes are how I take my core classes.
                             6. STEPHANIE CLOSE: I think most people,
                                myself included, have jobs off campus so to
                                be able to fit in classes they have to take
                                online classes.
                             7. KATE BADJO: I think that online classes are
                                popular among athletes so that students can
                                participate with the sport and school work.
                             8. RYAN MEERSMAN: So how do you feel, would
                                paying $50.00 for an online course be
                                                                                  5

                                   reasonable. Other schools charge $150.00
                                   for an online course. Some community
                                   colleges pay $25.00. I do recognize the
                                   difference between the $800.00 technology
                                   fees so that comparison isn’t really the
                                   same thing.
                                9. AMY WING: I think it is unfair to compare
                                   other colleges to paying $100.00 because we
                                   do pay an $800.00 technology fee. We don’t
                                   know what other colleges pay in fees so that
                                   comparison isn’t really the same thing.
                               10. KRISTIN MAZEIKA: I think it is really going
                                   to discourage students from taking online
                                   courses. You will have to pay so much. You
                                   can’t even get around not buying the book.
                                   It would really hurt those people who are
                                   forced to take an online class.
                               11. CAITLIN BARRY: It sound like the people
                                   here would have rather have taken a class in
                                   a classroom. Students who take online
                                   classes seem forced to do it through time
                                   constraints or scheduling issues.
                               12. MEAGHAN MACDONALD: I think a lot of
                                   students would try to find a way around the
                                   waiver.
                               13. DOMINIQUE PRICE: Students pay their bills
                                   before hand and then they sign-up for
                                   classes so this may cause an issue with the
                                   billing system.
       A.    ALL COLLEGE COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
       B.   STUDENT AFFAIRS COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
       C.   LONG RANGE PLANNING COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
       D.   STRATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
       C.   NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
       C.   NEIGHBORHOOD ADVISORY BOARD: NO REPORT
       D.   ALUMNI REPORT: NO REPORT
       E.   FOUNDATION REPORT: NO REPORT
       F.   LEGISLATIVE ACTION COMMITTEE: NO REPORT

A. VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT STUDENT LIFE: AUSTIN SAHAGIAN
                   A. STUDENT LIFE REPORT: NO REPORT
                   B. MULTICULTURAL REPORT: DOMINIQUE PRICE
                          1. Monday February 22cnd is “Who am I” in the
                             Scanlon Living room from 7:00-9:00pm sponsored by
                             TWO.
                          2. Tuesday February 23rd there will be a Poetry
                             Reading in the Scanlon Living Room from 7:00-
                             9:00pm sponsored by the Poetry Club for Black
                             History Month.
                          3. Thank you for supporting the Haiti events. Happy
                             Mardi Gras-Fat Tuesday.
        C. FOOD SERVICE COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         D. HEALTH COMMITTEE: MEGAN DONOVAN
                               1. Reminder that the blood drive is tomorrow in
                                  Parenzo Gym from 1:00-7:00pm. All donors
                                  will receive a Bruins long sleeve black tee-
                                  shirt courtesy of the Red Cross.
                                                                                 6

                                2. Also, I will pass along a sign-up sheet for
                                   people if you are able to help that will be
                                   great. You will receive units if you are
                                   able to volunteer.
                                3. The next meeting is March 3rd at 4:00pm in
                                   the Counseling Center.
         E.   PARKING CONTROL BOARD: NO REPORT
         F.   SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         G.   CAMPUS TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         H.   STUDENT ATHLETIC ADVISORY BOARD: NO REPORT
         I.   SUBSTANCE ADVISORY BOARD: NO REPORT

B.      VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT-ACADEMIC LIFE: ELIZABETH STACK
         A. ACADEMIC POLICIES COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         B. CURRICULUM COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         C. ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         D. REVIEW OF THE COMMON CORE COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
         E. INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS COMMITTEE: NO REPORT
          F. WRITING LIAISONS COMMITTEE: NO REPORT


 VII. VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT-PROGRAMMING: AMANDA KING
        A. Last week the Campus Center put on a game show called “Think
           Fast: which went over really well, as well as, the free Build a
           Bear event in the DC, which had 1-2 hour waits. Gotta love last
           minute Valentine’s Day Gifts.
        B. This Saturday, February 20th, the Campus Center will be putting on
           a Madden 09 Xbox Tourney in the Campus Center from 4:00-7:00pm-
           Please sign up with Erin Kearney by 5:00pm Friday night if you
           are interested.
        C. Next Friday, CAB is having its monthly Brown Bag Bingo at 11:00pm
           in the Campus center- if you plan on attending please bring a few
           dollars to donate to the Haiti Relief Efforts on campus. CAB
           will be helping out with that next Friday night.
        D. Spring Weekend is in full swing- I know who our performer will be
           but I haven’t even shared with CAB yet because it was cancelled
           thanks to that snow day last week. So, you guys will have to
           wait some more. Our theme, however, will be based on everyone’s
           favorite website “Texts from Last Night” with some great ideas
           for t-shirts and slogans already planned out.
        E. The next meeting is February 17, 2010 at 5:00pm on the couches.

VIII.   FINANCE REPORT: MEAGHAN MACDONALD
         A. FUNDRAISING REQUEST REPORT: NO REPORT
         B. FINANCE COMMITTEE: MEAGHAN MACDONALD
               1. Hello Everyone. I hope your weekend went well. The first
                  proposal is for Women Empowering Other Women for
                  refreshments for a Poetry Jam they are having. I move to
                  allocate $134.50 to the WEOW Club. The motion was seconded
                  and was approved.
               2. The second proposal is for the Third World Organization for
                  a choreographer to come to help with set design and other
                  aspects for the fashion show coming up. She will be coming
                  three times a week till the show occurs. I move to allocate
                  $900.00 to the third World Organization. The motion was
                  seconded and passed.
                                                                                  7

               3. The last proposal is for the Psychology club. They will be
                  attending a psychology conference in New York City. I move
                  to allocate $2,134.00 to the Psychology Club. The motion
                  was seconded and passed.
               4. Thank you. Our next Finance Committee meeting will be
                  determined so look out for an email.

  IX.   SECRETARY’S REPORT: AMY WING/LINDSEY HOWE
          A. EXECUTIVE SECRETARY: AMY WING
          B. LEGISLATIVE SECRETARY: LINDSEY HOWE
                               1. Reminder that 4 units are due by Monday,
                                  March 1st at 4:00pm. I will send a reminder
                                  email out soon. Also, I put out Blue Key
                                  nomination forms today and they will be
                                  emailed to all students, faculty, and staff
                                  later this week. Forms are also available
                                  in all residence halls after tonight. I
                                  need all Hall Presidents to come see me
                                  quickly after the meeting. For those of you
                                  who don’t know what Blue Key is, it’s the
                                  most prestigious award given to students by
                                  Student Government, you simply fill out the
                                  form and turn it in down here and if you are
                                  nominated you are notified and asked to fill
                                  out another form. The forms are due by
                                  March The committee is in charge of choosing
                                  who receives the award. I am taking
                                  nominations for two people from each class
                                  to serve on the committee. The committee
                                  consists of: Amanda King, Kristin Mazeika,
                                  Alyssa Zabierek, Kate Badjo, Meaghan
                                  MacDonald, Danielle Moran, Dave Getchell,
                                  and Brandon Burr.

 X.     COMMITTEE REPORTS:
         A. RULES & REGULATIONS COMMITTEE: ROSS BECK
                       1. Because that I made last week was an amendment to
                           the SGA constitution we need to vote it twice. I
                           move to approve the addition of Section 3 to Article
                           XI of the SGA constitution. The motion was seconded
                           and approved.
                       2. The next meeting is February 17, 2010 at 2:30pm in
                           Colleens Office.
         B. ALCOHOL REVIEW BOARD: NO REPORT

XI.     COMMUTER COUNCIL, CLASS AND HALL REPORTS:
             A. COMMUTER COUNCIL: NO REPORT
              B. SENIOR CLASS: KRISTIN MAZEIKA
                     1. We have sold over 100 Senior Fest packets. Get yours
                         ASAP if you plan on going!
                     2. This Friday will be a Senior Night at The Perch from
                         9:00pm-1:00am. All food is 50% off and there will be
                         a DJ. Come have fun if you are over 21.
                     3. Next Thursday is the Helping Hands for Haiti Benefit
                         Show at 7:30pm at Ever Hall and stage. This is $5.00
                         with an ID and $10.00 without. Tickets are on sale
                         now at the Campus Center window. Acts for the night
                                                                               8

                           include Dance Club, Dance Team, Step Team, Pep Band,
                           MTG and the Night Owls. Come out and support this
                           wonderful cause.
                       4. The next meeting is February 22, 2010 at 6:15pm in the
                           SGA conference room.
              C.   JUNIOR CLASS: NO REPORT
              D.   SOPHOMORE CLASS: MEAGHAN MACDONALD
                       1. Hello Everyone. Our Condom Gram sales went very
                             well. We delivered them on Wednesday and Thursday
                             of last week. Thank you tour council and it will be
                             an even bigger hit next year.
                       2. Right now we are just working with 2010 and 2013 for
                            the Haiti benefit on February 25th in Dever.
                       3. The next meeting is February 17th at 4:45pm in the Ely
                          1st floor conference room.
              E.   FRESHMEN CLASS: DAVE GETCHELL
                       1. We recently appointed 2 new members to our council as
                          publicist and secretary. We will also be selling
                          Class of 2013 shirts, which are being ordered now.
                       2. The next meeting is February 17th at 4:00pm in the SGA
                          conference room.
              F.   APARTMENT COMPLEX: JOHN PAPPAS
                       1. There is an event February 17th at 8:00pm. There will
                          be baked potato bowls and nachos.
                       2. A bulletin board in Welch was destroyed over the
                          weekend so we will be getting that fixed quickly.
                       3. The next meeting is February 22 at 5:30pm in
                           Chaitalli’s office.
              G.   COURTNEY HALL: NO REPORT
              H.   DAVIS HALL: JIM ROBERTSON
                       1. I accept the resignation of Christopher Lewis from
                           Davis Hall Council as a Representative to Senate.
                       2. The next meeting is February 17th at 8:30pm in the
                           Davis Hall Common Room.
              I.   DICKINSON:    NO REPORT
              J.      LAMMERS: NO REPORT
              K.   NEW HALL: ALYSSA ZABIEREK
                         1. New hall will be having a Westfield/Career Services
                           Trivia event on March 3rd at 8:00pm. There will be
                           prizes awarded and you will compete as individuals
                           not as teams.
                         2. We will be purchasing 3 vacuums.
                         3. Our next meeting is next Wednesday February 17th at
                           5:45pm in New Hall.

          K. SCANLON HALL:   NO REPORT

XII.     UNFINISHED BUSINESS:    NONE
XIII.    NEW BUSINESS: NONE


  XIV.   ANNOUNCEMENTS: AUSITN SAHAGIAN: There is a student life meeting
           after this.
                             NICOLE NALEPA: This is your last chance to get
                             your WSC wristbands.
                             LINDSEY HOWE: Hall Presidents, don’t forget to
                             get your Blue Key Packets.
                                                                            9

                         DANIELLE SERVIDEO: Anyone who went to the date
                         auction dinner with Dr. Dobelle there is a thank
                         you card on Barb’s desk for you to sign.
                         KRISTEN MAZEIKA: Please join the Relay For Life
                         fan page. There are 102 days until commencement.


  XV.   ROLL CALL: Hugh Mailly, James Walsh, Samantha Hopkins, Chris
             Lewis, Dylan Zukowski, Allie McLaughlin, and Veronica
             Tumavicus were absent. Andy Golas was excused, and Courtney
             Sarantos sent an alternate.


XVI.     ADJOURNMENT:   The meeting was adjourned at 6:29pm.

                     To ensure the courtesy of others,
            please turn off your cell phone before the meeting

								
To top