The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan
Summary and Response Presentation
By Ms. Conrad
• Percy Jackson is a boy who struggles with ADD, and seems to get kicked
out of every school he attends.
• After Percy, his mother, and his best friend are attacked by a creature
straight out of Greek mythology, he learns that he is in fact the “half-blood”
(or “demi-god”) son of the Greek god, Poseidon.
• Percy goes to Camp Half-Blood, the only place where he will be safe from
monster attacks. There he meets other demi-gods like Annabeth and Luke,
and hero-trainer Chiron.
• Percy learns that the gods are in conflict, following the theft of Zeus’s
magical lightning bolt. They suspect that Hades (or another god) as enlisted
the help from one of the demi-gods in the crime.
• Percy leaves Camp Half-Blood on a quest to find Zeus’s missing bolt and
restore peace on Mount Olympus. His friends Grover and Annabeth
• After many trials, including a meeting with Medusa, several near-misses
with Ares (god of war), an altercation with the terrifying Titan Kronos, and
the discovery that Luke is in fact working as an agent for the once-dead
Titan, Percy returns to Camp Half-Blood triumphant.
• I find this book exciting, with its twists and turns
on every page.
• I like the way that Rick Riordan makes Greek
Mythology fun and fresh by creating new
characters who are related to the gods.
• I relate to Annabeth because she is brave and
strong but also smart; she thinks her way out of
problems. She actually reminds me of
Hermione from the Harry Potter series.
• I look forward to reading the next installment of
the series, and I’m glad that this wasn’t the last!
These are two of the covers for Rick
Riordan’s novel The Lightning Thief.