STAR ANISE Whip the egg yolks and half the sugar
CHOCOLATE together in a mixing bowl until it holds
a ribbon when you lift some on the
beaters and trail it into the bulk of the
mixture. Melt the dark chocolate and
half the butter in a bain maire (double
• 4 egg yolks boiler) to make a smooth emulsion. Add
the star anise powder and fold into the
• 30 g/1 oz caster sugar yolk mixture.
• 200 g/7 oz ﬁnest quality
dark chocolate In another bowl whip the egg whites,
adding the remaining sugar when the
• 60 g/2 oz butter whites are still ﬂoppy but just beginning
• 1 ½ tsp star anise powder to form soft peaks, then continue beating
until the mixture holds stiﬀ peaks. Set
• 6 egg whites aside 2 tbsp of the whites mixture and
• 15 g/ ½ oz white chocolate fold the dark chocolate mixture very
• 1 tbsp double cream gently into the rest, being careful to
retain as much air as possible.
Melt the white chocolate with the remain-
ing of the butter, add the cream and fold
into the remaining 2 tbsp of egg whites.
Divide the dark chocolate mousse between
6 ramekins or glasses. Top with the white
chocolate mousses, working it into a star
design if you wish.