What is Housing Discrimination? Fair Housing Contact Service Housing Discrimination
Board of Trustees
Rillis Moneypenny, Jr., President
Housing discrimination occurs when a person
C. Ann White, Vice President
is treated differently due to their race, color,
religion, sex, family status, disability, or national Russell K. Davis III, Ph.D., Treasurer
origin. Andrea Victor, Secretary
Housing discrimination is illegal. The fair Erika Burney-Hawkins
housing laws apply to landlords, sellers, brokers, Robert DeJournett
lenders, insurance agents, neighbors, and other Todd Evans, Esq.
people in the housing industry. Sue Turns
At Fair Housing Contact Service, we believe
that everyone deserves to live in the safe,
Fair Housing Contact Service (FHCS) receives affordable housing of their choice.
funds from the United States government and
different cities and counties to investigate claims
of housing discrimination and assist clients in
filing administrative complaints.
Fair Housing Contact Service
441 Wolf Ledges Parkway
Suite 200 Fair Housing Contact Service strives to prevent
and eliminate housing discrimination and to
Akron, Ohio 44311
promote equal housing opportunity.
Toll Free 1-877-376-6191
Tenant/Landlord Line 330-376-0359
FAIR HOUSING CONTACT SERVICE
441 Wolf Ledges Parkway, Suite 200
Akron, Ohio 44311
This brochure provided with assistance from the Community
Outreach Partnership Center and the University Park Alliance.
To help ensure that your rights are
protected, we offer the following services Examples of What Can I Do?
FREE of Charge: Housing Discrimination
• Tenant/Landlord Counseling • Intimidating or harassing tenants If you feel that you may have experienced
• Assistance with Housing • Refusing to rent, sell, or offer housing-related housing discrimination, call us at 330-376-6191
services or toll-free at 877-376-6191. A counselor will
Discrimination Issues speak to you and provide paperwork if you wish
• Comprehensive Housing Counseling • Falsely denying that housing is available
to file a complaint.
o Home Refinance • Treating tenants differently when providing
repairs or services
o Loan Document Review
• Applying different rules or rental amounts
o First-Time Home Buyers
• Steering people to rent in certain sections of
o HECM Reverse Mortgage
• Telling property owners to sell when the char
• Educational Training Seminars acter of their neighborhood changes
• Interpreting for Clients who are Deaf or • Discriminatory advertising
Hard of Hearing or who speak a language • Refusing to make reasonable accommodations
other than English for people with disabilities
• Literature available in large print
If a landlord, seller, insurance agent, or mortgage
broker engages in these activities because of
THE FAIR HOUSING ACT the race, color, religion, sex, family status, dis-
Prohibits Discrimination on the basis of: ability, or national origin of a prospective tenant
or buyer, they may be held liable under state and
Race or Color Sex federal fair housing laws.
National Origin Disability
Religion Familial Status
We also offer: Contact S
• Informative Booklets: sin If you choose to file a housing discrimination
o Tenant/Landlord Handbook complaint, our office can help you file your
o A Tenant’s Guide to Repairs complaint with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission
o Security Deposits or the US Department of Housing and Urban
o What Fair Housing Means for People
• Professional Training
A FHCS representative is available to be your
• Membership path to eq advocate during this process.