Docstoc

TOUR HOMES TOUR HOMES OF

Document Sample
TOUR HOMES TOUR HOMES OF Powered By Docstoc
					2010           THE GRANDVIEW
               HEIGHTS/


TOFOUR
               MARBLE CLIFF
               HISTORICAL
               SOCIETY



 H OMES
                      May 9, 2010




A Broad View with a Grand View
BOARD OF THE GRANDVIEW HEIGHTS/
MARBLE CLIFF HISTORICAL SOCIETY
BOARD OFFICERS:
Tracy Liberatore President
Wayne Carlson    Vice President
Jane Harris      Secretary
Tom DeMaria      Treasurer

BOARD MEMBERS:
Jeri Diehl Cusack
Ruthanne James
Win Keller
Sally Kosnik
Patrick Mooney
Karen Riggs



HOME TOUR 2010 COMMITTEE
LOGISTICS CHAIR . . . . . . . . . .                .   .   .   .   .   .   Ruthanne James
RESEARCH/EDITORIAL CHAIR                           .   .   .   .   .   .   Patrick Mooney
DOCENTS CHAIR . . . . . . . . . .                  .   .   .   .   .   .   Win Keller
COMMUNITY LIAISON CHAIR                            .   .   .   .   .   .   Tom DeMaria

TOUR CAPTAINS
1050 Broadview Avenue      .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   Jane Harris
1070 Broadview Avenue      .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   Win Keller
1163 Broadview Avenue      .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   Tracy Liberatore
1179 Broadview Avenue      .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   Wayne Carlson



         Printing by: Minuteman Press
                      18 Westerville Drive
                      Westerville, OH 43081
Layout and Design by: Melissa Rady Design
                                               2
The Trolley Comes West
In late 1901 Grandview
and Marble Cliff area
“movers and shakers”
succeeded in their efforts
to have the Olentangy
River bridged at Goodale
Street to carry the
Columbus Street Railway
cars into the developing
neighborhoods “between
the rivers.” Tracks were
laid west on Goodale Trolley motorman and conductor (1908)
across Grandview Avenue
to Broadview Avenue, north on Broadview, west on First to Arlington
Avenue, and north on Arlington to West Fifth Avenue.
Full page advertisements in Columbus newspapers heralded the extension
of the trolley line, and vigorously promoted the newly accessible area as
a haven on the northwest bluffs, above the smoky Scioto Valley and the
industrial downtown. The trip could be made from High Street to Fifth
and Arlington in fifteen minutes.
The coming of the street railway did indeed foster rapid development of
what became the Tri-Village area.
Earlier in 1901 the first incorporation of Marble Cliff had been attempted,
with the boundaries being approximately King Avenue on the north, and
extending from the Scioto River to the Olentangy. Within 13 months most
of the area had been legally detached from the original plat, leaving only
the present Marble Cliff boundaries. (Marble Cliff had been platted in
1889 as Arlington Place, thus accounting for the Arlington name being
used for the neighborhood, 25 years before the beginning of Upper
Arlington in 1915. The name Marble Cliff had been commonly used for the
Scioto Valley between Fifth Avenue and King Avenue from the 1840s on,
a reference to the cliffs of Columbus limestone, now long since quarried
away, which were on the east bank of the river.) Incorporation of
Grandview Heights came in 1906, with the entire village lying west of
Grandview Avenue.

Broadview Avenue and the Trolley
Broadview Avenue is a good example of how the presence of convenient
transportation spurred the rapid increase of new home construction in
the area.

                                     3
                                               The 1910 U. S. Census lists
                                               13 residences between
                                               Goodale and West First
                                               Avenue. The earliest
                                               home we can document
                                               was constructed in 1902.
                                               The 51 residents included
                                               17 children, 5 in-laws, 2
                                               live-in servants, and a
Looking north, up Broadview hill (circa 1910)  boarder. Average age of
heads of household (all male) was under forty. Interestingly, 6 of the
thirteen residences represented only two families, Howell and Tremaine.
For more on early Broadview Avenue, see Sheltering a Heritage, pp. 26-27.

William Bott’s Grand View Terrace
In 1915 William Bott, of the well-known Columbus firm of Bott Brothers,
proprietors of a “gentlemen’s establishment” on North High Street, dealers
in cigars and liquors, and manufacturers of billiard and pool tables,
purchased the 6.5 acre estate of Columbus socialite, Cinderella Holman,
and platted and developed Grand View Terrace. The residence on the
Holman estate was what is now 987 Grandview Avenue, the oldest
residence (1832) in this community. The site is bounded on three sides
by Grandview Avenue, Goodale Boulevard, and Broadview Avenue, and
on the north by Grandview Terrace (entered from Grandview Avenue).
Bott subdivided the estate into 15 lots. He built three homes on the three
largest lots, which front on Broadview Avenue. Two of these three homes
are on the 2010 Tour of Homes.
For himself and his wife, Frances, Bott built 1070 Broadview on lot 1 in
1916. This home is on this year’s tour. In 1924 Bott built 1060 and 1050
Broadview on lots 2 and 3. The home at 1050 Broadview is also on the
2010 Tour of Homes.
THE FOLLOWING APPEARED
AS PART OF A FULL-PAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE
COLUMBUS SUNDAY
DISPATCH, JULY 30, 1916.
“GRAND VIEW TERRACE is
Columbus’ highest-class, most
exclusive, and smallest addition
(there being only a few lots).
Located on a beautiful knoll covered
with large forest and fruit trees and one                              The pergola

                                          4
hundred feet higher than Goodale Boulevard. All lots sloping on each side
to Broadview and Grandview Avenues and Goodale Boulevard. In the
center of which is a large spacious park with a beautiful fountain,
electrically lighted and fed by an old fashioned windmill. A large pergola
faces the park and on each side of fountain and throughout addition are
white rose arbors. Winding drives, sidewalks, city water, sewer and gas
are in. All electrical and phone lines are in conduits underground (no
unsightly poles). The old fashioned stone house....formerly owned by the
Holman estate, has just been remodeled and will be placed on sale.
                                        Imagine all this wonderful
                                        scenery: Every convenience
                                        and desire of natural
                                        beauty is here. Nowhere in
                                        or surrounding Columbus
                                        can be found a more
                                        picturesque spot in which
                                        to live, and only a short
                                        distance from the heart
                                        of Columbus. The highest
                                        of restrictions that will
The fountain park                       guarantee the most
                                        beautiful home-site is here.
Remember it lays between Grandview and Broadview Avenues on
Goodale Boulevard. Take Grandview and Arlington car to stop 10 and
walk a few steps.”

Grandview Terrace Now One-Way Street
From The Community News, February 10, 1928
COUNCIL ACTS TO SAVE LIVES OF CHILDREN
ENDANGERED BY CAR DEMONSTRATORS’ DRIVING
Grandview Terrace, a street running from Grandview to the top of Bott
Hill, then returning to Grandview Avenue, has been made a one-way
street by village ordinance. Machines entering Terrace Avenue must do
so from the north entrance. Any person violating this ordinance will be
fined $10. This ordinance was made necessary by the fact that automobile
salesmen from the city constantly use this street for demonstrating purposes
and travel over it at a high rate of speed to show what their cars will do
on a hill. There are children in the locality whose lives are endangered by
this practice. This ordinance was prepared to take care of that emergency.




                                      5
                 1070
           BROADVIEW AVENUE
            THE DETORE-GRANER RESIDENCE




         1916 Newspaper photo of 1070 Broadview when it was being built


“Grand View Terrace is a place in which to live - safe from the noise, dirt
and smoke of the city.” This is the introduction to the news article dated
August 12, 1916, describing the new development by William Bott. “See
the fountain, flower arbors, winding drives...see the wonderful surrounding
scenery, it will do your heart good.”
This is the home William Bott built for his bride, Frances O’Connor Farley.
William Bott and his brother Joseph owned Bott Brothers Billiards and
Buffet at 161 North High Street, later known as The Clock Restaurant, and
today the Elevator Brewery. Bott Brothers had multiple businesses,
including the manufacturing of billiard and pool tables and refrigerators,
and Bott and Cannon, wholesale liquor dealers and liquor store.
“Billie” and “Fannie” moved into 1070 Broadview Avenue in September
1916. It was listed as costing $20,000. The architect was Carl Mounjoy.
William and Frances lived in this home until his death in 1932. When
Frances died in 1934, the property was willed to her nephew, Lester
Stevenson, along with stock in Seagrave Corporation, manufacturers of
fire-fighting equipment. Mr. Stevenson was sales manager of Seagrave.
Lester and Mayme Stevenson moved from 1432 West First Avenue into the
Bott home in 1934. They were very familiar with the property, having been
socially active with the Botts. All were members of Our Lady of Victory
Catholic Church. In 1948 the Stevensons became charter members of St.
                                          6
Christopher Church. The Stevensons had two children, Robert and Jane.
Lester died at home in 1960. Mayme lived here another six years. She
remained active in church and community affairs until her death at age 99.
The Donald L. Keller family purchased the property in 1966. The “house
on the hill” was now filled with six children, in addition to the twenty-
three already living in the homes of Grandview Terrace. The green space
where the fountain, pond, and pergolas once stood was re-landscaped
for games, games, and more games: baseball, football, volleyball, and
golf. The Keller children all attended Grandview schools and O.S.U. Mr.
Keller was associated with Battelle Memorial Institute for 37 years, active
in the nuclear energy program for the United States Department of Energy.
Mrs. Keller (Win) was active in community life in Grandview Heights.
Donald Keller died at home in 1993. Win Keller sold the home to Stephen
Detore and Scott Graner in 2002.
1070 Broadview Avenue is on lot 1 of Bott’s Grand View Terrace. The
house is a harmonious medley of Tudor and Arts and Craft styles. Exterior
features include protruding bay windows, hip dormers, and unusual
sloping Clip dormers on the roof. The wraparound driveway terrace
surrounding the house, with a portico on the north side, was designed
for the Botts’ electric car, which was housed in the rear of the home, with
a stairway to the chauffeur’s room above. Two large third-floor rooms
were designated as Mr. Botts’ office and the billiard room, respectively.
For its time, the house was one of the most up-to-date homes in the
community, with a security system and a built-in vacuum system. Much of
the original home remains intact, including the dining room furniture, the
woodwork, flooring, and other features.
In its 94 years this home had had only four oweners. Present oweners
Stephen Detore of the Stephen Detore Studio at 1095 West First Avenue,
and Scott Graner, associated with Corporate Executive Limited Stores,
have maintained the integrity of this magnificent manse.




The Detore-Graner residence today

                                     7
                  1050
            BROADVIEW AVENUE
                   THE TETERIS RESIDENCE

                          This imposing three-story quarry stone house,
                          boasts graceful stone arches, gables, a slate roof
                          and second-level woodshake siding. High on the
                          hill above Broadview Avenue, it was built for
                          William Bott on Lot 3 of Grand View Terrace in
                          1924, at the same time as the home on Lot 2, now
                          1060 Broadview Avenue. The architect for both
                          was Ray Sims, later a founder of the Columbus
                          firm: Sims, Cornelius and Schooley, now Schooley
                          Caldwell Associates. The two homes have identical
                          interior floor plans, but reversed, and the exterior
                          treatment makes them appear entirely unique.
                          Contrasting brick and stone make quite different
William Bott              architectural statements. The Teteris residence
boasts a striking front terrace with a dramatic entrance stair, the view of
which is obscured by the trees on the hillside below.
In 1925 William Bott sold these two homes, along with the lots to the south
on Goodale Boulevard, to the United States Chain and Forging Company of
Pittsburgh. In 1926, 1050 Broadview was sold to George and Joanna Woods.
George Woods was a physician with offices at 656 West Broad Street.
The Woods occupancy was brief. In June 1927 the property passed to
Philip Houston, and
in September 1927 to
Henry Supp, Jr. and
his wife Ada. Henry
Supp, Jr. was Credit
Manager of Jeffrey
Manufacturing
Company. The Supps
lived here until early
1940, when the
property was taken
over by The Ohio
National Bank. The
Supps moved to 1234
West First Avenue. The Teteris residence today


                                      8
Frank and Isabel Lorenz purchased the property from the bank in 1941,
after it had stood empty for some time, and in 1942 moved in with their
ten children, from their nearby Grandview home. Frank Lorenz founded
Lorenz Equipment Company in 1932. After his death in 1968, the business
was run by his sons and their mother, Isabel, Chairman of the Board, a
position she held until her death in 1988. Lorenz Equipment Company was
closed in 2004.
The Teteris family purchased the home from the Lorenz estate in 1989. No
major changes have been made. Mrs. Teteris enjoys decorating eclectically,
and treasures the home’s original ambiance. Much of the original interior
detail remains intact, including woodwork, lead mullion windows, and
chandeliers. The baths and kitchen have been redone, and a small pool
added to the flagstone terrace.
An interesting aspect of 1050 Broadview Avenue is the documented series
of several dozen paranormal incidents experienced by a member of the
Teteris family since 1994. These seem to focus on the upper level of the
home, between the second and third floors.




            Bott’s original plat 1916


                                        9
                 1163
           BROADVIEW AVENUE
                 THE PHILLIPS RESIDENCE

This large Queen Anne
style home was built
by Walter and Edith
Wilson in 1905 on parts
of Lots 51 & 54 of
the 1890 Croughton and
Denmead Subdivision,
which extended from
Dublin Road to West
Fifth Avenue, and was a
large purchase from the
Walcutt family. Wilson
purchased the home site
from James Ross for
$500. Wilson was a 1976 photo
traveling salesman for
shoes. At the time Columbus was a major center for the manufacture of
shoes. From 1918 until 1932 the home was owned by William E. Edmiston,
a physician with offices near Mt. Carmel Hospital on West Broad Street.
From 1932 until 1960 owners were Rufus Frank Stewart (1932-1935),
Benjamin H. Darrow (1935-1939), Katharine and Ray Hickson (1939-1944),
and Katharine and Wendell Griffith (1944-1960). Roger and June Kohler
purchased the home in 1960.
Benjamin H. Darrow was the founder in 1929 of the Ohio School of the
Air, the first of its kind in the United States,which broadcast to 100,000
students in twenty-two states from OSU’s WEAO (now WOSU) and WLW
in Cincinnati. Originally funded by the Ohio General Assembly and
sponsored by the Ohio Department of Education, state support ended in
1937 in the financial stress of the Great Depression. The work was taken
over by Ohio State, but the Ohio School of the Air ended.
The Waddell family succeeded the Kohlers in 1978, the property passed
to the Breiners in 1987 and to Terrance and Judith O’Keefe in 1995. It
was during the O’Keefe ownership that the most dramatic alterations and
renovations took place, including a large sun porch. Current owners
Brenda and John Phillips purchased the home in 2002.


                                    10
Points of interest:
•   A “coffin style” front door, wide enough to accommodate bringing
    in a coffin at a time when it was customary to hold wakes in the
    home.
•   The bathroom and pantry were originally part of the kitchen. A water
    tank on the third floor once provided water by gravity flow to the
    kitchen.
•   During the Waddell ownership, there was a large gas range in the
    basement, which they had difficulty removing through the outside
    basement entrance. The Waddells figured the range had been moved
    during an earlier kitchen remodeling. The outside basement entrance
    no longer exists.
•   In the 1960s Julie Kohler was born to June and Roger Kohler in the
    turret second-floor bedroom. In later years, the bedroom fireplace
    was discovered under drywall.
•   During World War II the third floor was rented to a young couple,
    so a water tank was installed there. They cooked on a hot plate, and
    the original facilities were made available to them as well.
•   In the 1950s, during the “Red Scare”, enclosure of the basement
    portion of the turret began, to serve as a survival shelter.
•   In 1977 it was discovered that cloth-covered electrical wiring had
    been threaded through the original gas lines of the home, when the
    building was electrified. The original lighting was by gas.
•   This home is the domicile of a friendly ghost, fondly referred to as
    George. He inhabits the second-floor turret bedroom, and is known
    to be shy. The Kohler family reported hearing strange noises when the
    house was quiet, and also reported white apparitions.




            The Phillips residence today

                                           11
                 1179
           BROADVIEW AVENUE
                 THE BERNHARD RESIDENCE

This 1800 square foot home was built in 1918 by William G, Jackson,
President and General Manager of Jackson Realty Company, who lived on
Cambridge Boulevard in Marble Cliff. It was probably sold immediately to
John O. Gooding, Treasurer of the Jackson Realty Company, who moved
here from 2463 Summit Street. The Goodings were followed in 1923 by
Maxwell and Sarah Bode, and then in 1926 by Thomas and Sarah Winters.
Winters was an agent for Mutual Insurance Company. From 1945 to 1950
the Woodards and Kaufmans had brief periods of ownership. The family
who lived here the longest was that of Lawrence and Belva Looker, from
1950 to 1990. Malcolm and Elizabeth Crotty lived here for two years, before
Louis and Jeanne Bernhard purchased the property in 1992.
Representative of the classic American Foursquare architectural style that
was popular from before the turn of the century until the early 1930s, this
house style gets its name from its layout, with four large rooms on each of
the two floors. The Foursquare incorporated many of the interior design
features of the Craftsman movement. The Bernhard home shows many of
these classical elements. The floors, high wainscot, and cabinets flanking
the fireplace are beautiful oak. The wood-burning fireplace is finished with
inlaid tiles. Jeanne Bernhard’s use of mission style furniture completes the
Craftsman feel.
Opposite the fireplace end of the living room is an alcove with built-in oak
bookcases. The back of the house is dominated by a cozy dining room,
with large four-over-one double hung windows. The focal point of the dining
room is a beautiful built-in buffet with stained glass doors. The dining room
has the criss-crossed exposed wooden beams that are familiar in the
Craftsman design. the kitchen was originally quite small, and Ms. Bernhard
has recently renovated it, adding an additional eight feet to the back of the
house, creating a large and efficient kitchen that is modern yet faithful to
the original style of the house.




                                     12
The Bernhard residence today




Three bedrooms and a large bathroom are on the second floor, and a half
basement completes the layout of the house. The bedrooms are accessed
by a stairway in the center of the house, with a landing that is open to both
the living room and the kitchen.
Jeanne Bernhard is passionate about her home’s original woodwork, which
has never been painted. Her favorite spot is the large front porch which
spans the width of the home. It’s a great place to read, watch people go
by, and take an occasional nap.




                                      13
                   ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
A special thanks to the homeowners who have allowed their
homes to be shown on this tour:
           • Jean Teteris
           • Stephen Detore and Scott Graner
           • Brenda and John Phillips
           • Jeanne Bernhard



A warm note of appreciation goes to all those who graciously
contributed their time and energy as volunteer docents in the
homes on the tour.



Many thanks to the florists who donated floral arrangements
for the homes on the tour:

   Blooms Direct                        1266 Goodale Blvd.
       (Providing a floral arrangement for 1050 Broadview Avenue)

   April’s Flowers & Gifts              1195 West 5th Avenue
       (Providing a floral arrangement for 1070 Broadview Avenue)

   Fresh Flowers & Events               1635 West First Avenue
       (Providing a floral arrangement for 1163 Broadview Avenue)

   Fresh Flowers & Events               1635 West First Avenue
       (Providing a floral arrangement for 1179 Broadview Avenue)



Special thanks to Grandview Heights Mayor Ray Degraw and
Police Sergeant M. J. Ludwig for their generous cooperation in
making special arrangements for this event.


Special thanks to ThisWeek News and photographer
Adam Cairns for the use of the home photographs.




                                   14
BECOME A MEMBER
of the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society!
Please complete the information below and send with
your check made out to: GH/MC Historical Society
Mail or drop off at the Grandview Heights Library,
1685 West First Avenue, Columbus, OH 43212

NAME

SPOUSE
(IF COUPLE MEMBERSHIP)

ADDRESS

CITY/STATE/ZIP

PHONE
Please check the appropriate membership box:
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP             LIFE TIME MEMBERSHIP
YEARLY DUES (OCT. 1––SEPT. 30)    ONE-TIME PAYMENT

s Single $10.00                   s Single $100.00
                                                            £
s Couple $15.00                   s Couple $150.00
s Organization $25.00             s Organization $500.00
                                  s Benefactor $1000.00




                 Visit Our Web Site!
                        www.ghmchs.org




                                 15
  Welcome to the

           2010                    THE GRANDVIEW
                                   HEIGHTS/


           TOFOUR
                                   MARBLE CLIFF
                                   HISTORICAL
                                   SOCIETY


            H OMES
This historical booklet serves as your   ticket of admission to the
homes on the tour:
                    1050 Broadview       Avenue
                    1070 Broadview       Avenue
                    1163 Broadview       Avenue
                    1179 Broadview       Avenue

Present this booklet at the entrance to each home.

Parking is available at Grandview Heights City Hall.

1050 and 1070 Broadview Avenue are most easily reached from
Grandview Terrace. Traffic and parking are prohibited on
Grandview Terrace during this event.

Free transportation by trolley is provided from Grandview
Heights City Hall to all four tour locations. Only ticket holders
may board the trolley.

Please observe the directions of the police officer and all safety
precautions when crossing Grandview Avenue.




                1050      1070      1163       1179

				
DOCUMENT INFO