Draft

Document Sample
Draft Powered By Docstoc
					                                   Draft Minutes
       Executive Committee on Standardization of Oilfield Equipment & Materials
                            Ad Hoc Reorganization Team
                                  January 21, 2008

                                  9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

                             Renaissance Worthington Hotel
                                    Ft. Worth, Texas

                              Charlie Williams, Chairman

1. Welcome/Meeting Opening                                                 C. Williams

The meeting will open with a welcome and introductions as necessary.
Attending: Mike Marcom, Charlie Williams, David Miller, Ronald Goodm, Rick
Torgersen, Gary Devlin, John Yonker, Tim Sampson, Austin Freeman, Andy Radford,
Michael See, Ed Baniak

Action: Approve Agenda - Agenda Approved.

2. Status of Ad Hoc Team Recommendations                                   C. Williams

The June 15, 2007 ECS meeting approved the following recommendations made by the
Ad Hoc Team:


1. Overhaul SC16 and work to increase SC8 participation
      Consider formation of an Operator/Drilling Contractor led Oversight Group

Status: See attached strawman for SC16 and SC8 prepared by API staff for review and
discussion.

Concerns as stated were that SC16 standards are already out of date. 16C noted as
significantly out of date while 16A was not too far out. The last 16C ballot version went
out 2 to 3 years ago. The comments resolution stalled and the SC chair got busy on other
things. Discussed that finding a consultant to do this may be difficult.

Cameron reported that they looked internally to find participants. While some were
identified, there was no energy to lead the entire effort. The last SC4 report on ISO
indicated a similar lack of participation. Concern was also voices by members of ISO
TC67 about the lack of API activity.

Based on the strawman proposal for using an oversight committee, ECDPO reported they
were interested in working with the proposed format. They have 3 documents they
oversee and work on ad-hoc basis. An example of RP59 was cited where they hired a


                                                                                            1
contractor to do the update, API staff balloted by sending draft for review to people
identified by ECS members.

An action item was taken by Roland Goodman to contact Greg Childs with West
Engineering to see if they are interested in preparing the strawman for 16C which
would include comments resolutions and a new draft.

Gary Devlin has Cameron names for every 16 series standard they are associated with.
ECDPO does not have manufacturers on it. This effort would require them for a complete
effort.

A balloting process was discussed and agreed that establishing an ad hoc group with SC8
members, ECDPO members, and Oversight Group members would meet this need.

An action item was taken by Mike Marcom to contact IADC to see if they will join
the Oversight Group. Charlie Williams said he would send a letter as well asking for
support.

Discussions were held on how to get the chair appointed. Deep water floaters were
affected and should be key players.

SC8 - Mark Sibille is looking for assistance and participation as task group leader on 7K
Drilling and Well Servicing Equipment - last addendum in March 2006. We discussed a
methodology for obtaining specification pre-work to gather information about what needs
to be done. Roland Goodman reported that API could issue a survey to find out what
needs to be done and the items relative priority.

An action item was taken by Roland Goodman to survey the 7K licensees to
determine needed revisions and their relative priority.

An action item was agreed to schedule a follow-up conference call in 90 days to
check on progress on 16C, formation of the oversight group, and the 7K survey.


2. Expand the Scope of SC19
      Need to consider industry commitment

Status: see attached strawman prepared by J. Yonker, Halliburton

John presented the drivers. There are several national adoptions of ISO standards which
are now API standards (11D1). It could be that other joint API/ISO meetings could
reduce the overall time/effort put into standards development. The potentially affected SC
chairs were invited to this meeting but none were represented.

From SC6: 14A, 14B, 14L could be moved to SC19. 14H is really a companion to 6A
Section 10.20 and likely should remain in SC6.


                                                                                        2
David Miller will discuss with David Cole, incoming SC6 Chair to determine his
level of support on these proposed moves.

From SC11: 11D1 could be moved to SC19. We discussed moving sucker rods, rod
pumps, and PCPs to SC19. We estimated there would be pushback from artificial lift
companies to this move. For Sand Screens, Barrier Valves, and Gas-Lift equipment, we
determined that since they were so similar to existing completion equipment and that they
would likely be in the monogram program, that we should move them to SC19.
ECS chair and API staff will both discuss with Sid Thomas, SC11 Chair to
determine his level of support for these proposed moves.

We discussed that 11IW needs to move to SC6 and that 12 series tank standards have
monogram licensees for all but 12GDU. All need updating. See next agenda item.

It was noted that Jim Hall maintains 11V series for ESP series and that these will need
significant work to take into account deep water issues. Several of these are in process on
the ISO 17078-* series.

We determined that the final decision will be confirmed by ECS vote. We discussed that
re-numbering of the standards to fall in line with the SC number would be up to the SC
since the industry impact could be significant.

3. Identify Contractors to maintain the Tank Standards

Status: API staff (E. Baniak) is working with SC 11 Chair to develop an overall plan to
update and maintain the SC 11 standards, including the Tank Standards. Also note that
SC11 is meeting Tuesday, January 22 at the 2008 Winter Standards Meeting.

The API recommendation is to reaffirm all with new marking requirements and then
develop ad-hoc group to update going forward. It was noted we could use
refining/downstream people to get involved and take ownership.
Roland Goodman and Ed Baniak will visit with CRE SCAST to see if they are
interested.


4. Identify Contractor to maintain the Mooring Hardware
Standards

Status: It was suggested that the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA)
might be a potential industry group that could assist us in identifying a contractor. Chris
Jennings, Global Maritime London, founded IMCA essentially as the DPVOA. Hugh
Williams (who worked for Global maritime for about 2-3 years prior to going to IMCA)
is the chairman. API staff to contact the SC2 Global Maritime representative for potential
contractor. Timo at Techniq was listed as another possible resource but concerns about
contracting out work due to conflict of interest.
Mike Marcom to give another contact to David Miller for 2F and 2SM work below.


                                                                                          3
Status: Alberto Morandi, Global Maritime contacted for assistance on:

Discussed the following specifications. Updates were noted.
Spec 2F, Mooring Chain - Needs updates. Need a contractor to review.
RP 2I, In-service of Mooring Hardware for Floating Drilling Units - in fairly good shape.
Bulletin 2S, Design of Windlass Wildcats for Floating Offshore Structures - not sure
what this is. Need a contractor to review.
2SM, Recommended Practice for Design, Manufacturer, Installation, and Maintenance of
Synthetic Fiber Ropes for Offshore Mooring - in fairly good shape

API SC2 needed to write spec on Mooring Equipment Accessories. Shackle plates, wire
rope terminations, etc. by merging together various user specifications.

It was also reported that a new JIP proposed by Chevron and supported by MMS on
mooring accessories was forming. The API response will be discussed in ECS meeting
later today.


4. Future Meetings

The next ECS meeting is scheduled for the week of June 23-27, 2008, in conjunction
with the 2008 Exploration & Production Standards Conference on Oilfield Equipment
and Materials in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

A 90 Day follow-up conference call will be scheduled to check on action item status:

An action item was taken by Roland Goodman to contact Greg Childs with West
Engineering to see if they are interested in preparing the strawman for 16C which
would include comments resolutions and a new draft.

An action item was taken by Mike Marcom to contact IADC to see if they will join
the Oversight Group. Charlie Williams said he would send a letter as well asking for
support.

An action item was taken by Roland Goodman to survey the 7K licensees to
determine needed revisions and their relative priority.

An action item was agreed to schedule a follow-up conference call in 90 days to
check on progress on 16C, formation of the oversight group, and the 7K survey.

David Miller will discuss with David Cole, incoming SC6 Chair to determine his
level of support on these proposed moves.

ECS chair and API staff will both discuss with Sid Thomas, SC11 Chair to
determine his level of support for these proposed moves.



                                                                                        4
Roland Goodman and Ed Baniak will visit with CRE SCAST to see if they are
interested.

Mike Marcom to give another contact to David Miller for 2F and 2SM work below.

5. Adjournment - Adjourned at 11:45 a.m.


Reviewed by API Office of General Counsel




                                                                                 5
           API ECS ad hoc Reorganization Team
              Drilling Well Control & Equipment Standards

Background
Following a review of SC activities, the ECS, at its June 2007 meeting, approved
the concept of overhauling SC16 (Well Control) and working to increase
participation on SC8 (Drilling Equipment).

Overhaul of SC16
The ad hoc Reorganization Team recommends the following:
       Disband SC16
       Form an API Well Control Standards Oversight Group
         o There would be 3 - 5 members (representatives of operators and
            drilling contractors)
         o This Oversight Group would report to both the ECS and the
            ECDPO
         o This Oversight Group’s primary role would be to manage API’s
            suite of Drilling Well Control Standards (ECS 16 series + ECDPO
            RPs 53, 59, and 64), including approval/initiation of new work;
            decisions on hiring contractors; providing input on technical
            inquiries; etc.
         o A 3 year term limit would be established
       Ask current SC16 members if they would like to join a Well Control
         Resource Group that will serve as a pool of experts to draw from for an
         ad hoc project that arises.
       When specific projects arise they would be worked on an ad hoc basis.
         The participants for the ad hoc project groups would be solicited from
         the following industry groups:
            o API Well Control Resource Group
            o ECDPO members
            o OOC
            o IADC Well Control Committees
            o AADE and DEA (Drilling Engineering professionals)
            o PESA and AWHEM (Manufacturer organizations)
       A voting group will be established for each standard as it is being
         worked. Voters will be drawn from the assembled group of experts in
         accordance with API policy.




                                                                               6
Increased Participation for SC8
The SC8 chairman provided the following list of needs. The recommendations of
the ad hoc Reorganization Team are listed below each item.
   1. Technical Experts from Operators and Drilling Contractors to provide
        leadership in WG (and potentially TG and SC) roles in SC8 Task Groups.
            o API staff will contact potential operator representatives (Shell, BP,
                and ExxonMobil) to see if they could fill the role of SC8/TG1
                (Drilling and Well Servicing Structures) chair.
   2. Technical Experts from Operators and Drilling Contractors for continued
        participation in SC8/TG1 Drilling Structures.
            o Without specific projects/actions required it is unlikely that
                additional operator or drilling contractor resources can be found.
   3. ISO Project Leader (PL) for ISO 14693 (based upon API Spec 7K).
            o This item is not currently on the TC67 work program, but a
                representative from Brazil has volunteered to be the PL for this
                work item should a NWI be submitted. SC8 should continue to
                update Spec 7K as needed.
   4. ISO Project Leader (PL) ISO13626 (based upon API 4F 3rd Ed.)
            o A new edition of Spec 4F is currently out for ballot. This item is not
                currently on the TC67 work program. SC8 should continue to
                update Spec 4F as needed.
   5. Technical Experts from Operators and Drilling Contractors to participate in
        SC8/TG2/WG on Non-Metallic Materials for (primary load carrying)
        structural (non-sealing) applications.
API staff will canvass the ECDPO, OOC, and IADC committees for potential
participants




                                                                                   7
                            Standards Transfer
                                   To
                            Re-organized SC19
**The following documents are on the SC6 list for transfer to the newly re-organized
  Subcommittee 19:

Specification 14A (ISO 10432) SSSV
Recommended Practice 14B (ISO 10417) SSSV Installation
Specification 14L (ISO 16070) Locks/Landing Nipples

**The following document is on the SC11 list for transfer to the newly re-organized
  Subcommittee 19:

Specification 11D1 (ISO 14310) Packers and Bridge Plugs

**In addition to the above 11D1 specification, it is recommended the following
documents be transferred from SC11 to Subcommittee 19:
Specification 11D2—never published—(ISO 15136-1) on PCPs
Gaslift Series: 11V1, 11V2, 11V5, 11V6, 11V7, 11V8 are recommended as they must be
worked and interface with the adopt-back of ISO 17078-1, -2, -3, -4 covering gaslift
valves and sidepocket mandrels.
Specification 11B Sucker Rods
Specification 11AX Rod Pumps
The 11S series of specifications on Submersible Pumps.

**In addition to the above, it is recommended the following documents be taken under
the purview of SC19 for assistance in progressing thru the ISO processes and adoption
back as API specifications on completion equipment.
ISO 15136-2 PCP Drive Heads
ISO 17824 Sand Control Screens
ISO 28781 Barrier Valves

The main goal of the above is to bring into alignment the work of an API subcommittee
with that of its counterpart in ISO; namely TC67/SC4/WG4. Having a common set of
standards and personnel working on them will bring a much needed cohesiveness to the
table along with the ideal of possible joint meetings.




                                                                                        8

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:8
posted:8/13/2011
language:English
pages:8