Act IV: Study Guide
1. Why is Paris visiting Friar Lawrence?
2. Juliet tells Friar Lawrence what she will do if the wedding to Paris cannot be avoided.
Paraphrase lines 50-67.
3. Copy lines 68-70. Paraphrase lines 68-76. The Friar says he has thought of a way out, but
what would it require?
3. What is Juliet’s answer to the Friar in her effort to convince him that she will do anything
to avoid the marriage with Paris (lines 76-88)?
5. Summarize Friar Lawrence’s plan as described in lines 89-120.
6. What causes Capulet to say, “My heart is wondrous light”?
7. Quote a line from Juliet’s soliloquy that foreshadows her death.
8. List three of her fears as considers taking the potion?
9. How do her fears contrast her earlier attitude toward death?
10. Explain the dramatic irony in the Friar’s speech (65-83)?