pre-arrival guide

Document Sample
pre-arrival guide Powered By Docstoc
					pre-arrival guide

                 Welcome - by the International Office            02

          one    Welcome - by the Students’ Association
                 The City of Edinburgh

                 Immigration Advice/Visa Information              05
                 Police Registration                              0

                 Arriving in the UK                               2
                 Arriving in Edinburgh/Welcome Service            5
                 Personal Safety                                  6

        three    Accommodation
                 The University Card                              23

                 Freshers’ Week                                   25

                 International Day                                26
                 International Office Events/International Café   27
                 Study Skills                                     28

                 Money                                            30

                 Banking                                          32
                 Council Tax                                      34
                 Payment of Tuition and Other Related Fees        35

                 Employment                                       38

          six    Insurance – Personal and Health
                 Health Matters

        seven    January Starts                                   42

                 The First Few Days                               45

        eight    Further Useful Information
                 Admissions Offices

                 See inside front cover for:
                 • Pre-Departure Checklist
                 • Key Information and Dates
                 • Top Ten Things you Need to Know

                 See back cover for:
                 • Useful Addresses
                 • Map
                 • Semester Dates/Class times

pre-arrival guide
Welcome to The University of Edinburgh

The International Office                            The Students’ Association
The International Office offers you a warm          Welcome to Edinburgh. Welcome to one of
welcome to the University and City of               the most historically impressive and culturally
Edinburgh! We are delighted that you have           diverse cities in Europe. Welcome to the
decided to study at one of the world’s leading      University of Edinburgh, founded over 400
universities and are sure that you will find your   years ago, and one of the best universities
studies here rewarding and interesting. The         in the world. And welcome to Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh has a well established      University Students’ Association (EUSA).
tradition of attracting students from across the
                                                    With students from over 130 different
world and last year we welcomed over 6,000
                                                    countries, EUSA is committed to valuing and
overseas students representing over 130
                                                    supporting international students. It is difficult
different nations.
                                                    to express the massive benefits diversity and
This guide provides information on life at the      internationalism bring to our community and
University of Edinburgh and what you need to        our education.
consider before arriving.
                                                    This guide contains practical help and
After your arrival in Edinburgh there will be       guidance on a range of subjects, which you
an opportunity to meet with staff from the          should read before you leave home.
International Office. We have experience in
                                                    The Post-Arrival Guide is another publication
dealing with a range of matters that affect
                                                    which you will also find useful, copies of which
international students and, due to our location
                                                    will be available during Freshers’ Week at either
in the main university area, you can use our
                                                    EUSA, our Advice Places or the International
office as a central contact point for seeking
advice and information. The International Office
is committed to ensuring that you make a            Our goal at EUSA is to provide representation,
successful transition here and to provide you       support and services for you. We are run for
with support throughout your studies at the         students and by students. Much of our work is
University of Edinburgh.                            focused on international students, recognising
                                                    that arriving in a foreign country to live and
Our main wish is that you enjoy your time at the
                                                    study for any length of time can be a daunting
University and find, as many overseas students
                                                    experience. Opportunities do exist for you to
have in the past, that Edinburgh becomes your
                                                    become involved in student representation and
home from home!
                                                    I would encourage you to do so.
Alan Mackay
                                                    Your time at university can also be enriching.
Head of International Office
                                                    EUSA boasts over 200 societies, catering for
                                                    an astounding range of interests. We also
                                                    offer other facilities, including welfare support,
                                                    advice and training and, socially, there are a
                                                    range of restaurants, bars and clubs, all aimed
                                                    at making your time with us as rewarding as
                                                    I am sure you will enjoy university life as much
                                                    as I have. Please contact us if we can help in
                                                    any way and I look forward to meeting you
                                                    during your time at Edinburgh.
                                                    Adam Ramsay
                                                    President, Edinburgh University
                                                    Students’ Association 2008 - 2009

The City of Edinburgh

The University of Edinburgh is situated in the heart of Scotland’s capital. Edinburgh is a
cosmopolitan city, with national museums, theatres and galleries to rival the best in Europe.
At the same time, it is small enough to explore on foot, and with a population of 460,000 is not
overwhelming. New students soon feel at home in the city which, in a recent national survey,
was voted the “friendliest city in the UK”.
Described as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe by independent guides, Edinburgh
is the second most popular tourist destination in the UK after London. Edinburgh is famed
for its ancient castle, medieval centre and elegant Georgian architecture, which have led it to
be known as the Athens of the North. The entire city centre, which includes many University
buildings, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
More than 13 million visitors are attracted to Edinburgh each year, many of them flocking to the
city in the summer to attend the Edinburgh Festival, the largest arts festival in the world. This
is just one of 12 annual festivals, testament to Edinburgh’s reputation as a world centre for the
arts and culture.
“Venerable, dramatic Edinburgh, the showcase capital of Scotland, is a historic, cosmopolitan
and cultured city.” Rough Guide
In 2004 Edinburgh was named the world’s first UNESCO City of Literature, in recognition of the
city’s rich literary heritage. Professor Alexander McCall Smith, best-selling author of the No. 1
Ladies’ Detective Agency novels is Emeritus Professor in the School of Law. A stone’s throw
from campus and popular haunt of the University’s students, the Elephant House café is where
J K Rowling wrote parts of her Harry Potter novels.
The city has much to offer sports fans. Two Scottish Premiership football clubs are based
in Edinburgh, as are the Edinburgh Gunners, Scotland’s leading rugby club. As Scotland’s
capital, Edinburgh plays host to a variety of national and international sporting events
throughout the year, ensuring that the city’s sports facilities remain world-class. Edinburgh is
a golfer’s paradise: there are 6 municipal courses, and no fewer than 28 courses altogether
within the city boundaries.
“It’s impossible to live in Edinburgh without sensing its literary heritage everywhere.”
J K Rowling
Many students have the impression that Edinburgh will be a cold and wet place to live. In fact,
Edinburgh has the same annual rainfall as New York and Rome, and has a varied, temperate
climate, just a degree or two cooler than London. In the winter, snow is rare in the city and
the temperature rarely dips below freezing during the day. In the summertime, it is generally
warm, with temperatures between 65-75°F. You should ensure that you have some warm and
waterproof clothing with you when you arrive in Edinburgh, although you will also be able to
purchase coats and woolly jumpers (sweaters) after you arrive. The Post-Arrival Guide gives
advice about where to shop for clothes and other items. You should receive a copy of the guide
when you reach Edinburgh, but if you don’t, you can pick up a copy from the International
Office, EUSA or the Advice Place (see ‘Useful Addresses’).
There are opportunities to travel around the UK and Europe during vacation periods, or even
for the weekend. Cheap flights are available from Edinburgh International Airport direct to many
European cities and resorts, with train and bus services providing affordable and frequent
services across Scotland and the rest of the UK.
“The view as you walk out of Edinburgh’s Waverley Station is probably the finest first
impression of any city in the world.” The Lonely Planet Guide

 pre-arrival guide
 Edinburgh and its University

Immigration Advice/Visa Information
Police Registration

    pre-arrival guide
    Immigration Advice/Visa Information

    European students
    If you are from a European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland, you do not require a visa
    (entry clearance) to come to the UK. You will be admitted by providing either a valid passport or
    national identity card.

    All other students
    Detailed guidance can be found on the UK Border Agency website:
    If you are from a country outside the European Economic Area and you want to come to the UK
    as a ‘student’, you are now required to obtain a visa/entry clearance before leaving home. For
    those coming for 6 months or less, you can only get student conditions if you apply for a visa/entry
    clearance before leaving home. Please refer to categories  and 2 below to see which applies
    to you.
    What is a visa? This is a certificate that is put into your passport or travel document by an Entry
    Clearance Officer at a British mission overseas. The visa gives you permission to enter the UK.
    With a Student Visa/entry clearance, you will be able to:
    • Work part-time
    • Apply to extend your stay in the UK
    • It will be multiple entry

!   Note: A visa may also be referred to as ‘entry clearance’. Do not be confused by these two different
    terms as the process for applying for a visa and entry clearance is identical.

    . Visa Nationals
    If you are a citizen or national of one of the following countries you are known as a visa national and
    you must obtain a visa/entry clearance before leaving home.
    Even if you are coming to the UK for a period of less than 6 months, you must apply for a visa before
    Do not enter the UK with any other status (ie visitor/dependant) as you will not be permitted to
    switch into student status from within the UK. You will have to return to your home country for entry
    clearance as a student
    • Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Burkina-Faso, Burma (see
      Myanmar), Burundi
    • Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, People’s Republic of China
      (unless you hold a passport issued by Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or Macao Special
      Administrative Region), Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Cuba
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Djibouti, Dominican Republic
    • Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia
    • Fiji
    • Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana
    • Haiti
    • India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast
    • Jamaica, Jordan
    • Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kirgizstan, Korea (North), Kuwait

    pre-arrival guide
    Immigration Advice/Visa Information

    • Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya
    • Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco,
      Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma)
    • Nepal, Niger, Nigeria
    • Oman
    • Pakistan, Palestinian Authority, Peru, Philippines
    • Qatar
    • Russia, Rwanda
    • Sao Tome e Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan,
      Surinam, Syria
    • Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkish Republic of Northern
      Cyprus, Turkmenistan
    • Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan
    • Vietnam
    • Yemen
    • Zambia, Zimbabwe
      and the territories formerly comprising the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia
      excluding Slovenia and Croatia.

!   Note: Countries may be added to this list so it is important that you check the UK Visas

    2. Non-visa nationals (all other non European Economic Area nationals
    not included in the above list)
    A. You are required to apply for a visa if you are coming to the UK to study for more
    than 6 months.
    B. Visiting students (one semester only). To allow any degree of flexibility, we recommend that
    you obtain a student visa /entry clearance before travelling to the UK. If you enter at the
    port of entry to the UK as a student visitor, you will not be permitted to:
    • work part-time (paid or unpaid)
    • to extend the period of your stay in the UK, you will have to return home
    • switch into any other category from within the UK
    • the ‘student visitor’ category is single entry and this may affect your travel plans during the
      vacation period. If you do travel towards the end of your studies, it is likely that you would
      re-enter as a visitor but you would have to show evidence that you intend to leave the UK
      (by showing your return ticket home, for example)

!   Note, however, that visiting students (one semester only) on certain programmes which include
    a period of work (paid or unpaid) MUST apply for a visa before travelling to the UK.
    How do I apply for a visa?
    You can apply in a number of ways, for example, by post, by courier, in person and online.
    Staff at the visa application centres ( will tell you about the
    options available.

!   Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for
    your visa online please visit the visa4UK website:

    Immigration Advice/Visa Information

    If you cannot apply online you will need to             person included in the application.
    complete a visa application form (VAF3 -                Dependants: If a visa is required they should
    Student):            complete a separate application form
    You should apply for a student visa/entry             • Evidence to support the information provided
    clearance in the country of which you are a             in your application
    national or where you legally live.                   • An unconditional offer letter from the

!   Helpful notes:
    To avoid problems arising, it is important that you
                                                            University of Edinburgh and evidence of the
                                                            cost of the course fees and number of study
    take time to prepare your application and ensure      • That you have accepted the offer
    that you have all the necessary documentation.
                                                          • That you have adequate funding to meet the
    • Locate your nearest Visa Application Centre           cost of your course fees, accommodation
    • Apply in good time for your visa (at least            and living costs, and those of any family who
      one month, but not more than three months             may be accompanying you (bank statements/
      in advance) so that you are not delayed in            drafts, proof of student loan, sponsorship
      travelling to the UK to begin your course.            letter (from your government/agency,
      Check validity before booking travel tickets          university or as appropriate)
    • As Visa Sections become extremely busy over         • Note: if someone else is paying for your
      the summer period, do check the relevant              studies, provide a letter from them confirming
      website for information about the turnaround          what their relationship to you is, the level
      times of applications                                 and period of their support and evidence of
                                                            savings, bank statements, salary slips
    • Ensure that you allow time for the biometrics
      (fingerprint and digital photograph) procedure.     • If you are in receipt of sponsorship from the
      Your visa applications will not be processed          British Government or any other government
      until you have provided the necessary                 or an international scholarship agency, please
      biometric information                                 provide details

!   Application procedure
    This process now includes biometrics and, for
                                                          • Evidence that you have the qualifications
                                                            required for entry to the course (including any
                                                            English language tests) and that you have
    certain postgraduate research students, the             those qualifications
    Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)            • ATAS Certificate (for certain postgraduate
    (see sections below).                                   research students - see below)
    Complete the Student Visa application process.        Carefully follow the instructions in the guidance
    Please read the guidance notes carefully. If          notes and include all the documents you can
    your family are joining you for the period of         to show that you qualify for entry to the UK as
    your studies, your spouse or civil partner and/or     a student. Remember that any decision made
    children should apply as dependants.                  by the Entry Clearance Officer is based on the
    Supporting documents must be originals or             application and supporting documents you
    attested (certified) copies.                          submit.

    Here are some of the documents you will be            Once you have successfully had your UK visa
    asked to provide:                                     granted, check that the details are correct. If
                                                          you feel that an error has been made, contact the
    • A valid passport                                    Visa Application Centre staff as soon as possible.
    • One recent passport-sized photograph for            If you do not have time to do this before travelling
      each individual                                     to the UK, ask staff at the Student Association’s
    • Biometric information                               Advice Place about the Entry Clearance
                                                          Correction Scheme.
    • The appropriate fee - currently £99 for each

    pre-arrival guide
    Immigration Advice/Visa Information

!   Remember to take a photocopy of your passport,
    particularly the pages with your personal details
                                                           Tuberculosis screening                                !
    and UK visa stamp. Keep this in a safe place as        Applicants for UK visas valid for longer than
    it will be useful in case you lose this important      6 months in certain countries now require
    document.                                              a certificate to show that they are free from
                                                           infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). The list
    Dependants of international students                   of relevant countries changes and is added to
                                                           throughout the year. If required, you should be
    A dependant is your spouse or civil partner
                                                           immunised before applying for a visa.
    and/or children. Under current UK Immigration
    Rules, there is no provision for anyone other than     Accordingly, it is important to check the following
    a spouse, civil partner or child to join a full-time   link for news on the current position:
    student in the UK as a dependant. If you are 
    planning to bring your family to the UK whilst you
                                                           If in doubt, ask the staff at the Visa Application
    are studying, check whether your family member
                                                           Centre (VAC) where you will be applying for your
    will require either a UK visa or entry clearance.
                                                           visa/entry clearance whether or not you will be
    For further details on the guidelines and              affected.
    procedures, please refer to the following notes
    on UKCISA’s website:                                   What is ‘biometric’ information?           
    If your family plan to accompany you to the UK,        You will need to provide ‘biometric’ information
    it is necessary to prove that you have suitable        as part of the visa application process. This
    accommodation and adequate funds to support            biometric information consists of scans of all 10
    them. Although the University does have family         of your fingers and a full-face digital photograph.
    accommodation, this is limited (see the section        You will have to go to the nearest VAC in person
    on Families). Plan well in advance.                    to provide this biometric information. In those
                                                           countries where there is no VAC, you will need to
    Immigration requirements for                           go to the British mission. Your visa applications
    spouses or civil partners of students                  will not be processed until you have provided the
    The spouse or civil partner of a student will          necessary biometric information.
    normally be admitted for the period of the
    student’s authorised stay. Entry clearance should      What is the Academic Technology
    be sought as a dependent of the student and not        Approval Scheme (ATAS)?
    as a visitor, unless only a few weeks’ holiday in      The Academic Technology Approval Scheme
    Edinburgh is planned. Financial information will       (ATAS) was introduced in November 2007 by
    be required in order to demonstrate there are          the UK Government which means that an ATAS
    sufficient funds available to support a spouse or      certificate is mandatory for certain postgraduate
    family/civil partner. Link:      research students in specific subject areas, who
                                                           need a Visa/entry clearance to study in the UK.
                                                           Your unconditional offer from the University will
                                                           identify whether or not this is required. Follow
                                                           the application procedure from the following link:
                                                           If you are studying in one of the listed subject
                                                           areas, you must apply for an ATAS Certificate
                                                           before submitting your UK visa/entry clearance
                                                           application as this will form part of the
                                                           documentation. Please allow ample time for this
                                                           process which can take up to 10 working days.

Immigration Advice/Visa Information

Students from the European                           * EU Accession Countries and Employment:
Economic Area (EEA)                                  Please refer to the Employment Section of this
                                                     guide on page 38.
If you are a national of a country in the European
Economic Area, you can enter the UK freely - you     Note: Some European Consulates with offices in
do not need to obtain entry clearance.               Edinburgh strongly advise students from Europe
                                                     to register with them on arrival.
Your EEA family members can also join you.
If your family (spouse, civil partner and            Applying for a Student Visa from
dependent children) are not EEA nationals,           2009: Change is on the way
and are living in an EEA member state or in          The Points Based System (PBS) is the new
Switzerland, they can apply for an EEA family        immigration system that was introduced from
permit online or using form VAF5. This process is    early 2008 with Tier 1 (Highly Skilled category).
free of charge.
                                                     Tier 4 for students will be introduced during
Please contact your VAC who will advise on the       the first quarter of 2009. Full details are not yet
procedure to apply for an EEA Family Permit          available but, for this academic year (2008/2009)
before travelling to the UK.                         only PhD students starting at the University after
                                                     the first quarter of 2009 will be affected.
Which countries are in the EEA?
The EEA consists of the European Union               Information on how the process works will be
countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria*, Czech        provided but details will also be available on the
Republic*, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark,              UK Border Agency website:
Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
Hungary*, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia*,          All students coming to the UK to study during the
Lichtenstein, Lithuania*, Luxemburg, Malta,          following academic year (2009/2010) will have to
Netherlands, Norway, Poland*, Portugal,              apply under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.
Romania*, Slovakia*, Slovenia*, Spain, Sweden        Full details on the process will be provided.
and the United Kingdom.
Switzerland is not a member of the European
Union or the EEA. However, Swiss nationals have
rights which are similar to those of nationals of
EEA countries.

   Sources of Information
   Advice on applying for a visa/entry clearance:
   British Council: Studying and living in the UK:

   UKCISA Guidance Notes:
   Before leaving home:
   EEA and Switzerland:
   European Consulates in Edinburgh:

    pre-arrival guide
    Police Registration

    This requirement is usually imposed on all non-      At your appointment, you will need to bring:
    Commonwealth students (other than EU, US and
                                                         • Your passport
    Japanese nationals) who have been admitted
    to the UK for a period of more than 6 months.        • One passport-sized photograph
    Please check your passport, which will stipulate     • Your unconditional offer letter of acceptance
    whether or not this is a requirement.                  from the University
    Nationals of the following countries need to         • The fee of £34 (cash only)
    register with the Police:                            • Letter from sponsoring company or
                                                           organisation (if applicable)
    Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia,
    Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil,       Please note that an additional fee of £34 is
    PR China (including the Special Administrative       charged for an accompanying spouse or civil
    region of Hong Kong), Colombia, Cuba, Egypt,         partner, who must also attend to register, but
    Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan,     there is no fee for children under the age of 16.
    Kyrgyzstan, Korea (North), Kuwait, Lebanon,
                                                         Following your initial appointment you will be
    Libya, Moldova, Morocco, Oman, Palestine,
                                                         asked to return at a pre-arranged time (usually
    Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria,
                                                         within 2-3 weeks) to collect your Registration
    Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United
    Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.
                                                         You may also register at Police Headquarters
    You must register with the Police within 7 days of
                                                         outwith these times, bringing the above items
    your arrival in the UK.

                                                         with you. The Department is open Monday-Friday
    Please note however that staff from the Lothian      9am – 11.30am. It is not necessary to make an
    and Borders Police Nationality Department will       appointment. The department is located at:
    visit the University as follows:
                                                         The Nationality Department
    • Wednesday 17 September 2008:                       Lothian and Borders Police Headquarters
      9am – 12noon and 1pm – 4pm*                        Fettes Avenue
    • Thursday 18 September 2008:                        Edinburgh, EH4 1RB
      9am - 12noon and 1pm – 4pm*                        Tel No: 0131 311 3171
    Additional date, if required:
                                                         Following registration, in accordance with the
    • Thursday 25 September 2008
                                                         1971 Immigration Act, you must inform the
      (Times as above)
                                                         police within 7 days if there is a change to your
    *Note: Last appointments: .45am and 3.45pm         circumstances, including:
    Location: Conference Room, David Hume Tower,         • change of address
    George Square
                                                         • change of studies
    To register with the Police at one of these times    • if you are granted an extension of your leave
    you must make an appointment by emailing:              to remain
    or call into the International Office if you         Please note that updates to your Police
    arrive prior to these dates. You may wait to         Registration Certificate may be made at any local
    register with the Police until the date of your      Police Station.

pre-arrival guide

 three                          Arriving in the UK
            Arriving in Edinburgh/Welcome Service
                                  Personal Safety
                              The University Card

    Pre Arrival Guideguide
    Arriving in the UK

    Helpful websites/notes:
    • For airport information (Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted, Edinburgh):
    Many students come to Edinburgh by flying into London and arranging their onward travel
    by plane, train or coach. However, Heathrow airport, where many international flights into
    London arrive, is extremely busy and, because of its size, is difficult to navigate; in addition, the
    journey into the centre of London for bus and train connections can be lengthy. There are other
    options that avoid London and students may wish to consider flying directly to Edinburgh from
    Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt and other European cities. Flying into Glasgow airport and taking
    the bus to Edinburgh is also an option.

!   Note: Using the Dublin route:
    • For short-term visiting students who are non-visa nationals: If you chose to travel to the UK
      without applying for a visa/entry clearance, you should not use this route. Dublin is not in
      the UK but is part of the European Economic Area. The Irish Republic has a ‘Common Travel
      Agreement’ with the UK, therefore there is no immigration presence on arrival in Edinburgh
      from Dublin
    • Those who have applied for a student visa/entry clearance before travelling: Please retain
      copies of your boarding pass and flight tickets for your journey from Dublin to Edinburgh
      which can be used as evidence of your arrival in the UK
    If you do fly into London and intend to travel on to Edinburgh by air, try and purchase tickets
    for your complete journey at the outset rather than after arrival in the UK. If you have details of
    your onward flight you might also be able to check your luggage in all the way to Edinburgh to
    avoid having to collect it on arrival in London. There are regular flights to Edinburgh from all of
    London’s airports.

    At the airport - after landing
    On leaving the aircraft, follow the signs for arrivals to go through passport control (international
    passengers only), baggage reclaim and Customs.

    Passport control
    Note that there is likely to be a queuing system in place so check that you join the right one!
    The Immigration Officer will want to see that your documents are in order, that your passport is
    up-to-date, check your landing card and visa/entry clearance. Also have evidence of financial
    support, your offer letter and your accommodation confirmation, ready for inspection. Part of
    the immigration process may, if required, include evidence of a recent medical examination or
    international vaccination certificate.
    Airport security:
    As part of the immigration process it is possible that you may be stopped and asked some
    additional security questions. If there are any problems, or if you have any concerns on arrival
    regarding your passage through immigration/passport control, ask the Immigration Officer to
    contact the Student Support Team on 0131 650 4294 or 650 3476 within office hours (0900-
    1700hrs). Have a pen ready just in case you have to take down details.
    Out of office hours, you may use the Emergency Contact on: 0131 650 2257.

    Arriving in the UK

!   Declaration of Cash
    Anyone travelling into or out of the UK, to
                                                            accommodation, which is relatively inexpensive.
                                                            You will have to take the Underground (the
    or from a non-EU country, must complete a               ‘tube’) into central London to reach ISH. The
    Customs declaration form if they are carrying           nearest tube station is Great Portland Street.
    more than 10,000 Euros (including money in              Credit cards (Mastercard, etc) can usually be
    other currencies, bankers’ drafts, cheques and          used to purchase onward rail, air or coach
    travellers cheques). This procedure must be             tickets.
    completed at the place of departure from, or
    arrival in, the UK. Forms will be available at the      Travelling by bus from London to Edinburgh
    airport.                                                There will be transport available from the airport
                                                            into the City. There is a limited service available
    Collecting your luggage (baggage)
                                                            daily, leaving from Victoria Coach Station, cost
    Once you have cleared passport control follow           about £31 one way and takes about 8-9 hours.
    the signs to the baggage collection point which         Remember to book the direct option.
    will show your flight number and departure point.
    You may then proceed through Customs; follow            Useful links: for
    the green light if you have nothing to declare          further information on the above or
    but Customs Officers may ask you to open your  for other options.
    luggage, so keep your keys accessible. If in
                                                            Onward travel from Glasgow
    doubt ask one of the Customs Officers for advice
    before proceeding.                                      It is necessary to take two buses to reach the
                                                            centre of Edinburgh from Glasgow Airport.
    If your luggage does not appear, seek assistance
    from a member of the airport staff or the               1. Arriva operates the Glasgow Flyer shuttle
    Welcome Team if you arrive during the time they         bus service (No 500) from the Airport Terminal
    are on duty (5 - 28 September: 0830 - 2030 hrs).        to Buchanan Street Bus Station, in the centre
                                                            of Glasgow, which runs approximately every
    Catching a connecting flight?                           10 minutes. The journey takes 20-25 minutes.
    If your baggage is checked through to your final        Current cost: £4.20 one way.
    destination, follow the Flight Connections signs        Ask at the Airport Information Desk for directions
    when you leave the aircraft.                            to the bus stop just outside the main terminal.
    Arriving late                                           2. From the same Bus Station, board Citylink No
    If you arrive late at night (if possible try to avoid   900 (available every 15 minutes) and this journey
    this) and require overnight accommodation in            takes you to Edinburgh Bus Station (St Andrew’s
    London before travelling on to Edinburgh, try           Square in the centre of Edinburgh) in 1 hour 18
    to book a room in advance at the International          minutes. Current cost: £5.10 one way.
    Students’ House. Contact them at least four
                                                            Travelling by car from the south
    weeks before you intend to travel.
                                                            Remember that:
    The address is:
    International Students’ House (ISH)                     • You must have a licence that allows you to
    229 Great Portland Street                                 drive in the UK
    London, W1W 5PN                                         • You must have valid insurance cover
    Telephone: Direct Dial: 0207 631 8310                   • In the UK, we drive on the left-hand side of the
    Email:                                   road                                          Guidance Notes on Driving in Britain:
    If they are fully booked they should be       
    able to recommend alternative overnight                 Route Planner:

Pre Arrival Guideguide
Arriving in the UK
Arriving in the UK

Edinburgh can be approached from a number of directions. You can arrive from the
south either by using the A1, A68, A7 or A702. The A7 will take you to Pollock Halls where
Accommodation Services are located. Try to arrive in Edinburgh during daylight hours if you
can, as it will be easier to find your way! Use the Route Planner for more details.

Rail/coach/flights from the UK
If you plan to travel throughout the UK or further afield during your time at University, you may
consider the following:
• Rail: Purchasing a Young Persons Rail Card, currently £24. You will need ID and a passport
  sized photograph when applying. Cards are valid for a year and entitle you to discounted
  travel. Note that you may be asked for identification to prove you are the cardholder when
  you travel so always carry your University/Student Card.
• The main coach operator in Scotland is Scottish Citylink. Full details of routes and timetables
  are available on their website:
  Check out the following link for other options:
• Flights: Using the web or contacting a local travel agent will help you to find flights at
  competitive prices. You may wish to consider buying an International Student Identification
  Card (ISIC), which costs £9 in this country. This is available from Travel Agents and entitles
  you to basic discounts on flights; if you are already a registered student before coming to
  Edinburgh, this could help to keep your travel costs down. Use this card for any planned
  international travel during vacation periods. To obtain a card you will need one photograph
  and your University/Student Card
Local travel agent:
STA Travel
27 Forrest Road
Edinburgh, EH1 2QH
Tel: 0871 468 0617

    Arriving in Edinburgh

    For information about Edinburgh:

    Welcome Service
    The International Office will be running a dedicated Welcome Service during our receiving
    weekend, to help you to find your way to your accommodation. The Welcome Team will be
    based at both Edinburgh Airport, and Waverley Bridge (beside the Railway Station) in the
    centre of the City and will be easily identified by their clothing. Look out for them!
    • Dates: Saturday 3 September and Sunday 4 September 2008
    • Times: 8.30am to 8.30pm
    You can tell us about your travel plans by completing the on-line pro-forma:
    • At the Airport, you will be directed to the Edinburgh Airport/City Centre Frequent Express
      Shuttle Service to the Terminal at Waverley Bridge beside Waverley Railway Station. Note
      that buses run at regular intervals; journey time 25 minutes; current cost £3.00 single; £5.00
      open return.
    There is also a door-to-door shuttle service available. Cost £9 single.
    If you prefer, hire a taxi to reach your destination or perhaps consider sharing the cost if you
    find other students who are also making their way to the same address, for example Pollock
    Halls of Residence. Taxis are expensive and will cost up to £20, so do try to share.
    • At Waverley Bridge, members of the Welcome Team will meet buses from Edinburgh Airport,
      and help people to find taxis to their accommodation. Those arriving by train at Waverley
      Station should make their way to Waverley Bridge where members of the team will assist you
    • If you arrive at Edinburgh Bus Station (for example by bus from Glasgow), you can either
      take a taxi directly to your accommodation from the Bus Station, or walk the short distance
      (about 300 metres) to Waverley Bridge to find the Welcome Team

!   Important notes:
    • Our Welcome Service is only available at the times noted above, as this is linked to when
      you can gain access to University accommodation, so we strongly encourage you to plan
      your travel around this period. If you come to Edinburgh too early, you will need temporary
      accommodation until the University’s accommodation becomes available, and this can be
      very expensive. If you arrive too late, you will miss important Orientation events. Please note
      that the Edinburgh University Students’ Association will be running ‘International Day’ on
      Sunday 14 September (see page 26)
    • Note however that an extended Meet and Greet Service is being offered in co-operation with
      other Scottish Universities from 5 September - 28 September, when limited assistance will
      be available
    • Please check the International Office website for further details: where you will find photographs and video clips with helpful
      guidance on what to expect on arrival at Edinburgh Airport. Please take time to watch these
      in advance of travelling

Pre Arrival Guideguide
Personal Safety

Coming to live in a new city to study may mean living away from home for the first time, so it is
important to look after yourself. Edinburgh is generally a safe city but please be cautious. Most
people are friendly but it is unwise to divulge your telephone number or address to strangers.
Copies of the British Council Safety First Guide for International Students will be available from
the International Office.


How do I apply for accommodation?
Applications for accommodation must be made separately from any application to study at
the University of Edinburgh. With the letter offering you a place to study at the University, you
should have received the Accommodation Guide in Brief advising you to apply on-line for
accommodation; if not, check the Accommodation Services website
where you will also find further information, including the application and offer process and the
terms of the accommodation guarantees. It is the University’s policy to issue all accommodation
offers and receive all acceptances on-line. It is therefore vital that, when submitting an
accommodation application, you provide an email address at which you can be contacted
throughout the summer from June to September.

Am I guaranteed accommodation?
For the latest information, check our website at the following link

What if I am coming to Edinburgh with my family or partner?
You should note that the number of University controlled flats for families and couples is
very limited and is not guaranteed, even for those students who would have qualified for
accommodation if they had been coming alone. As a result, some families and couples may
have to find accommodation in the private sector, where prices can be high (a two-bedroom
apartment in the city centre can cost over £700 per month to rent, excluding utility bills and
Council Tax). We strongly recommend that you do not make arrangements for your family or
partner to accompany you to Edinburgh, at least in the first instance, unless you have already
secured suitable long-term accommodation for them. Check the Accommodation Services
website for further information on the availability of, and
applying for, accommodation for students with families or partners.

When should I apply for accommodation?
You can apply anytime – whether your place of study is conditional, insurance or unconditional
– once the applications process has been opened by Accommodation Services, usually from
early February. However, you must ensure you apply by the relevant deadline in order to be
guaranteed an offer of accommodation:
Undergraduates must apply by 16th August 2008
Postgraduates must apply by 31st July 2008
New international postgraduate students who are covered by the University’s accommodation
guarantee should note that a deposit of £250 is payable on application.

When will I get the result of my application?
Offers of accommodation are usually sent out from June onwards for all students who have
applied by the required date and whose place at the University is Unconditional Firm (UF).

How do I accept my accommodation offer?
You will be given a limited time in which to accept your offer of accommodation. As a condition
of acceptance, you will be required to pay a £250 deposit (in £ sterling) which must be paid on-
line; details of this method of payment will be included with the accommodation offer. Please
note, Postgraduates should have paid this deposit at the time of application and will not be
charged again.

    Pre Arrival Guideguide

    What if I reject my accommodation offer?             guarantee access to your accommodation and
    Unless we have made a mistake or there are           you will need to consider spending a night at a
    special circumstances of which we were unaware       local guest house; advice on where to look for
    when we made the original offer, you will not        temporary accommodation is available at the end
    normally be offered another place.                   of this section.

    What if I cancel my offer of accommodation?          Can I send luggage in advance?
    Where the acceptance has been confirmed, and         Only if it is timed to arrive after you are in
    the deposit paid, the following cancellation rules   residence at your University accommodation.
    will apply:                                          Storage is extremely limited in all residences and
                                                         we cannot guarantee being able to accept any
    • Cancellation up to the start date of the           luggage arriving in advance.
      tenancy - £250 deposit is refunded
    • Failure to take up your place without prior        What will be provided in my accommodation?
      notice - £250 deposit will be forfeit              Accommodation Services will provide information

!   If you fail to take up your place in
    accommodation by noon on Monday
                                                         at the point of offer and in the lead up to your
                                                         arrival. There are variances between residences,
                                                         but we will tell you about what essentials to bring
    15th September 2008 without notifying
                                                         with you and the services and facilities available
    Accommodation Services of either your
                                                         in each type of accommodation.
    cancellation or late arrival, you will be deemed
    not to be taking up residence and your               How will I pay for my accommodation?
    accommodation will be made available for
                                                         With your accommodation offer you will receive
    re-letting. You will also be charged for the
                                                         information on, and must choose from, the
    accommodation until the vacancy is filled, in
                                                         rent payment options available to you; these
    addition to the £250 cancellation fee.
                                                         options will include information for students with
    When can I move into my accommodation?               sponsors who to are paying on their behalf.
    If you have been allocated accommodation in          Opening a UK bank account
    a University residence or student flat, you will     All residents in University accommodation will
    normally be able to move in from the Saturday        be provided, after their arrival, with access to a
    before the start of Freshers’ Week.                  letter which will identify and can be provided to
    September starts: Undergraduates and                 those banks which will positively help them with
    Postgraduates - from 13th September 2008             opening a UK bank account.

    January starts - from 10th January 2009              What if I am not offered University
    You will not be able to move into your
    accommodation earlier; if you need                   If Accommodation Services is unable to offer
    accommodation before these dates, advice on          you University accommodation, you can find
    where to look for temporary accommodation is         guidance and advice on finding suitable private
    available at the end of this section.                housing at the end of this section. An important
                                                         source of information about alternatives to
    Where will I collect the keys for my                 University accommodation is:
    accommodation?                             , this site includes
    If you have fully accepted the accommodation         interactive maps and a messaging service, as
    offered, you should go directly to the               well as providing advice about looking for private
    Accommodation Services’ office identified to         accommodation and details of vacant private
    you as part of your offer. Please note, if you       properties and rooms throughout the City of
    expect to arrive after 10pm, we are unable to        Edinburgh.


In addition, Accommodation Services will be          Note: Credit card details must be given at the
providing an Advice Centre at Pollock Halls as       time of making any reservation through the
follows:                                             Tourist Board for any type of accommodation.
                                                     A fee is charged for this service.
• Venue: John McIntyre Centre
• Dates: Monday 8 – Friday 19 September              Alternatively, you may choose to look at
  including the weekend                              the following websites for budget-style
• Time: 10am to 4 pm each day
Staff will offer advice to any student who has
not yet obtained accommodation in Edinburgh.
Property pages from the local newspapers,
telephone and internet access will be available,     Past experience has shown that you only need a
and guidance on obtaining accommodation in           few days to settle in and that the earliest date you
the private sector.                                  need to arrive is Saturday 13th September 2008.
                                                     However, if you do decide to travel earlier than
Where can I get details of short-term                this, please be aware that not only is it difficult to
accommodation in Edinburgh?                          find short-term accommodation because of high
For those students who plan to travel to             demand at this time of the year, but it can also
Edinburgh before access to University                prove expensive.
accommodation is available, here are some
                                                     Further information
suggestions for short-term accommodation
                                                     For the most up-to-date situation you should
Kenneth Mackenzie Hospitality Suite                  refer to the information which will be sent out with
7 Richmond Place                                     your offer of accommodation. Alternatively, check
Edinburgh, EH8 9ST                                   out the Accommodation Services website, which
(This is a central location only a short walk from   has full and up-to-date details of all University
George Square/Old College and Pollock Halls.)        accommodation, application and allocation
Email:                        procedures, as well as substantial information
Tel: +44 (0)131 651 2063                             about private accommodation. The website
Edinburgh and Lothians Tourist Board                 address is
3 Princes Street, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 (0)131 473 3800

   Sources of Information
   Private housing:
   Temporary Accomodation:

Pre Arrival Guideguide

What if I am coming to Edinburgh with my family?
Useful link:
For information on accommodation, please refer to the previous section.

Immigration requirements
Refer to page 8 of the Immigration Section.

If you, the student, are granted a student visa/entry clearance for 12 months or more, your
spouse or civil partner, as your dependant, should be given permission to work, if you are
applying to travel to the UK at the same time.
Before starting work in the UK, your family member should check what conditions are attached
to the immigration permission on his or her entry clearance or residence permit. If s/he is
allowed to work, the only condition will be ‘No Recourse to Public Funds’.
This means that your family member can take up full-time or part-time employment, be self-
employed or set up a business. If the words ‘No work’ or ‘Work prohibited’ appear on the entry
clearance or residence permit, your family member is not allowed to undertake any work, paid
or unpaid.

Childcare for young children, babies and pre-school children
(6 weeks to 5 years of age)
The University Day Nursery offers childcare, but spaces are limited so it is important to plan
well in advance if you wish to secure a place. Be aware that childcare is expensive. Please note
that, once you are settled in Edinburgh, you could enquire about funded places for 3-5 year
olds through the Edinburgh City Council (Partnership Funding). Forms and information are
available from:
The Manager, University Day Nursery
79/81 Dalkeith Road
Edinburgh, EH16 5AL
Tel: 0131 667 9584

For children from 2.5 to 5 years of age
UNI-TOTS Nursery
University of Edinburgh
7 George Square
Ms Audrey Cameron
Tel: 0131 650 3448


Primary and secondary education
Education in Britain is compulsory for children between 5 and 16 years of age. For your
information, until you have an address in Edinburgh, the Education Department will not be
able to offer your child a place at a primary or secondary school. Edinburgh divides the city
into catchment areas. Therefore your full address determines the schools where you would be
given priority admission. However, parents may contact schools directly and, depending on
availability, arrange a placement with the Head Teacher. If you require information on placing
your child/children at school whilst studying at the university, the details are as follows:
The City of Edinburgh Council
Children and Families
School Grants, Awards & Placements
Waverley Court, Level 1/1, 4 East Market Street
Edinburgh, EH8 8BG
Tel: +44 (0)131 469 3035 (for general advice)

Private education
There are a number of fee-paying schools in Edinburgh. Contact details are as follows:
Scottish Council of Independent Schools (SCIS)
21 Melville Street
Edinburgh, EH3 7PE
Tel: +44 (0)131 220 2106

    Pre Arrival Guideguide
    The matriculation process consists of:
    • Registration - registering attendance at the University and making arrangements for the
      payment of your tuition fees
    • Meeting with your Director of Studies (if you are an undergraduate) and agreeing your
    • Fulfilling any admission criteria prescribed by the College that admitted you to the
    • Postgraduate students please see notes 2 and 3 at the end of this section
    As a new student you will be sent a Registration Pack prior to coming to Edinburgh. Students
    whose fees are being fully covered by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) or a
    Local Authority will be able to register by post. However, all other students will be required to
    register in person: this includes those who will be liable for all or any part of their tuition fees,
    those students who have a sponsor paying all or any part of their fees, and those who have not
    received their Registration Pack in the post.
    Registration will take place as follows (unless you have been notified separately of alternative

    For residents at Pollock Halls:
    South Hall, Pollock Halls: Saturday 13 September 2008, 10am to 5.30pm
    Students who are not resident at Pollock Halls can also register there if convenient, but
    note that parking is severely limited on site on this day.
    All other students should register at Adam House, Chambers Street (Chambers Street runs
    between South Bridge and George IV Bridge). Registration in Adam House will take place from
    Monday 15 September 2008 to Friday 19 September 20008 (9.15am to 4.30pm). In order to
    make access and processing as quick and easy as possible, you are advised to register at the
    following times, and to have completed and/or amended all the forms prior to arrival.
    Registration Venue: Adam House, Chambers Street
    Map link:

       Day                                      AM (9.15am -12.30pm) PM (12.30pm - 4.30pm)

       Monday 15 September 2008                 MVM                       S&E
       Tuesday 16 September 2008                HSS                       HSS
       Wednesday 17 September 2008              S&E                       HSS
       Thursday 18 September 2008               HSS                       MVM
       Friday 19 September 2008                 HSS                       S&E

    Key: MVM=Students in the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine; S&E=Students in the
    College of Science and Engineering; HSS=Students in the College of Humanities and Social

!   The venue can be busy: it is therefore essential to speed up the process that you have all the
    relevant forms completed beforehand.


    It is important that you bring the following with you to registration:
    • Form of identification, for example, a passport, birth certificate, identity card, driving licence
      or bank card
    • A letter of award or other document stating who is paying your fees (the original document
      not a copy). If you are personally liable for the payment of any part of your fees, you will
      be expected to make arrangements for payment at registration, and to bring the relevant
      paperwork with you
    • Registration Pack, if it has been posted to you. Please note, Registration Packs will not be
      posted outside the UK after mid-August, and will be retained in the registration venue

!   Notes:
    1 Undergraduate students - arrange to meet with your Director of Studies after registration
    2 Postgraduate students in the College of Humanities and Social Science and the College of
      Medicine and Veterinary Medicine may go directly to Adam House
       Students should attend the College desk before leaving Adam House to become fully
    3 Postgraduate students in the College of Science and Engineering must visit their School
      Office first before registering

!   The University Card
    As all students are required to have a University Card as proof of their student identity, you will
    be able to collect your University Card at registration. The Card also covers other functions
    such as allowing Library and door access. Further information and an application form will be
    sent to you over the summer. Please ensure that you complete and return the application form
    in good time, since a late return will result in a delay in the availability of your Card. Additional
    information can also be obtained from the Card Services website:
    Please check the Registry website for any updated information:

Pre Arrival Guideguide

Freshers’ Week
International Day
International Office Events/International Café
Study Skills

Freshers’ Week

Starting at university can be a daunting experience, but the challenge can be even greater
for many international students who have to adapt to a new language and culture. However,
the Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA) offer an extensive Freshers’ Week
programme to ease this transition and help you settle into the varied aspects of university life.
This year it runs from 14-21 September 2008.
Sunday 14 September is designated as International Day. Throughout the day you can attend
a wide selection of interesting sessions, and join tours to help you find your way around the
campus and the city in general. These can be invaluable and are highly recommended.
In the evening you can enjoy your first taste of the University’s Unions featuring Scottish
ceilidhs (dance), comedy, dancing and music. In addition, there will be a range of society and
other events so hopefully you will find something to suit you.
During the week, there will be an opportunity to meet other new students, either at your
accommodation, your school or one of the many organised events. You will soon settle into
your new environment. Whilst we appreciate that some events may seem strange or unfamiliar,
you are not obliged to join in if you do not wish to do so.
Freshers’ Week is not compulsory, but participation is recommended for the reasons outlined
above. In order to gain access to all the evening events run by EUSA, you will need to
purchase a pass, which costs £28.00.
It is important to note that, if you do not wish to attend evening entertainments and only wish to
join in daytime activities, for example, campus tours and society events then most of these can
be attended free of charge. Further details and other useful information will be available from
the Students’ Association Offices in Bristo Square.
On arrival you should collect a copy of the Post-Arrival Guide from the Students’ Association
Offices in Bristo Square or on International Day. You can also view the Freshers’ Week
programme on the EUSA website from the end of July (
It is also worth checking the website on arrival for any changes.
You will be sent a letter as part of your School information pack about International Day during
Freshers’ Week. (See details in the next section).
It is worth noting that the Advice Place and International Office will be open during the week if
you encounter any major problems. Any questions specifically about the programme for the
week, rather than procedure, entrance or general information, can be answered by emailing the
Freshers’ Week Coordinator, Katherine Sellar on

Societies Fair
Date: 17 & 18 September
Venue: 60 The Pleasance
Check EUSA’s website for further details:

Pre Arrival Guideguide
International Day
International Day

The first day of Freshers’ Week, Sunday 14 September, is known as International Day and
consists of special events for international students.
• From 10am to 11am, the International Office invite you and your family members/friends to a
  Welcome Ceremony to be held in the McEwan Hall, Teviot Place. Further details will be sent
  out over the summer.
• 11am to 12noon. Family members/friends will then join staff from the International Office for
  refreshments in the Dining Room of the adjacent Teviot Row House.
Students will continue with the main event which is organised by Edinburgh University
Students‘ Association (EUSA) as follows:
• 11.30am - 4.00 pm.
• McEwan Hall and the adjacent Teviot Row House
where students can attend a range of seminars on a variety of subjects. Throughout the day
you will be able to meet informally with students already at Edinburgh. Feel free to drop in at
any time during these hours.
International Day is free and open to any students who are not British citizens.
Remember to make arrangements to meet up with your family members/friends at a
convenient time and place.
Map reference:

    International Office Events/International Café

    During Freshers’ Week, the International Office will be hosting special events of interest to
    international students: cultural activities, information sessions to help you to gain the most out
    of the City and being in Scotland, and to help you to settle quickly into the University and life in
    Edinburgh. These events will also provide an opportunity to meet other international students,
    and the International Office staff. The full programme will be advertised in the International
    Café, and on the International Office website, students

    Join the International Office staff for coffee
    Date: Wednesday 10 September 10am to 11am
    Venue: Faculty Room South, David Hume Tower - this will be signposted.
    Map Ref: (Click on Key 28, David Hume Tower).

    International Office events/International Café
    Dates: Monday 15 September – Thursday 18 September from 10am to 4pm,
    Friday 19 September from 10am to 2pm
    Venue: Room G10 (ground floor), William Robertson Building, George Square
    • Find out what you need to know
    • Meet other new international students, our student Welcome Team and International Office
      staff in a friendly, informal environment
    • Enjoy tea/coffee/mineral water/biscuits
    • Read international and local newspapers
    • Listen to music
    • Join in our guided tours of the University campus, historical tours and shopping tours
    • Limited internet access will also be available

!   Please check the International Office website for further details.
    The International Café is only open during Freshers’ Week.
    Practical Sessions: see Top Ten Things You Need to Know at the start of this guide.

    International Student Centre (ISC)
    During each semester, the ISC, based at 22b Buccleuch Place, offers a place to meet other
    international students, and student volunteers run very popular weekend trips to places of

Pre Arrival Guideguide
Study Skills

. Advice for undergraduate students about           Edinburgh and beyond.
effective learning at university
                                                     In 2008-09 the University will be offering a series
Even very successful and experienced students        of specially tailored events for international
sometimes struggle with their academic work          Postgraduate Research Students - called
and almost everyone can improve. This is             “International COMPASS”. This programme
partly because learning at university may be         which is partially funded by the Scottish
different from prior experiences, so it may take     Government will provide a variety of events,
some time to fully understand how to learn           including study skills, employability, information
and study here. You will also need to get used       about Scotland/Scottish culture and social
to the different kinds of learning required in       activities. For further information go to:
different subject areas and the different demands
made as your programme of study develops.
If you would like some guidance about how to         For International Taught Postgraduate students
study effectively then see -        many of these skills are also developed within the
(under ‘for students’). On this site you will find   curriculum but we also hold an initial orientation
information about study skills workshops, good       session in September (see below) and plan to
study skills books and websites. There are also      hold follow up sessions In October/November.
short handouts on this site about common study
                                                     3. Study Orientation Day for International
concerns and information about who to ask for
                                                     Taught Postgraduate Students
more in-depth advice about your studies.
                                                     Sunday 21st September 2008 between 9am to
2. Skills development opportunities for              12.30pm or 1.30pm to 5pm. (David Hume Tower
postgraduate students                                Lecture Theatre A). The University of Edinburgh
Acquiring and enhancing high level transferable      (UoE) will be running a half day orientation
skills to support your personal, professional        session (repeated in the afternoon so students
and career development is a crucial part of          can choose which session they would prefer
postgraduate study. Individual support, advice       to attend) which aims to provide you with the
and training covering a wide range of topics,        following:
including careers, computing and information         • an awareness that the teaching and learning
skills, is available to all postgraduate students      environment at the UoE will be different from
at the University of Edinburgh. Postgraduate           your prior experiences and to prepare you to
research students have access to dedicated             benefit from this environment
skills development programmes within their
                                                     • an understanding of what to expect of the
College and School.
                                                       academic experience at UoE (academic
                                                       honesty/timely completion of assessment)
In addition the Postgraduate Transferable Skills     • an understanding of what will be expected of
Unit organises workshops and courses that are          you as a student
designed to meet the needs of postgraduate
                                                     • an understanding of what academic support is
researchers. This includes courses directly linked
                                                       available through
to PhD study and to future careers, covering
                                                       i) School/lecturers/tutors etc, ii) College;
topics as diverse as thesis and academic
                                                       iii) other University services
paper writing, project and time management,
communication with non-specialists,                  • an understanding of various learning
entrepreneurship and business, career planning         techniques and academic conventions
and computing. These courses also provide            Students will receive an invitation to the event
opportunities to meet researchers from other         over the summer.
disciplines and build links with other members
of the postgraduate research community in

pre-arrival guide

               five                          Money
                                        Council Tax
           Payment of Tuition and Other Related Fees

pre-arrival guide

Living costs 2008/09
• Link: Estimated living costs:

Accommodation costs
Estimate based on a single student in a standard room with a meal plan in University Halls
of Residence:
For each week you are resident in Edinburgh you should allow yourself at least £181 to cover
your expenses (based on current prices). An example of how your weekly expenditure might be
allocated is as follows:
Room and Board (standard)                           £156-160
Lunches (week days only)                            £13.00
Personal Expenditure                                £11.50
(laundry, toiletries, mobile phone contract )
Total each week (approximately)                     £8.00
Self-catered and private accommodation: This can vary but use the estimated living costs link
above as costs will vary according to your lifestyle.
Food (use our Shopping Guide):
Help in planning your money
International Student Calculator:

   Sources of information
   Undergraduate/visiting students:

   Self catered:
   Couple/family accommodation:
   Private housing:
   Students with special needs:


Other Possible Costs
The following are only a few examples - please refer to the estimated living costs link at the
beginning of this section.
• Local transport: Many students will live near the University and can easily walk to classes or
  into the city centre so costs are limited to taking the occasional bus (currently
  £1.10 per journey)
• Accommodation which is further away from the University: you may need to budget for
  around £12.50 per week for your day-to-day travel needs and more if you plan to travel
  outside Edinburgh
• Police Registration: £34 (see section on Immigration, page 10)
• Council tax: visiting students in private accommodation here for one semester may be
  required to pay this tax. Cost varies dependent on the area in which you live. Information is
  available from The Advice Place:
• Childcare for pre-school children. This can be very expensive so please check the costs and
  include this in your budget
• You will also need a minimum of £315 for textbooks and basic stationery
• If you come from a hot country you should include an additional amount to cover the cost of
  purchasing warm clothing in the first year of your studies. A sum of £250 is recommended
  for this purpose
• Charge for a student visa or entry clearance before leaving home (currently £99)
• Non-European Economic Area students who need to extend their Leave to Remain (visa)
  in the UK are subject to a charge - currently £295 for postal applications or £500 for the
  Premium same-day service, which requires you to make an appointment at the Public
  Enquiry Office in Glasgow. Staff at the International Office will be able to help you with your
  application and advise on the supporting documentation.

pre-arrival guide

Please read these helpful notes on setting up a bank account in the UK:
It is unwise to bring large amounts of cash with you or to keep cash in your accommodation so
please do open a bank account as soon as possible.
Before you leave home, check with your bank in your home country whether it has a special
relationship with a bank in the UK and whether it can assist you with the process of opening a
UK bank account. At some international banks you can open an account in your home country
(or online) and access the account from the UK making it easier for funds to be transferred
from your home to the UK. (Check out HSBC and Barclays). If you have not already arranged
your banking before you arrive in the UK then you will need to open a bank account once you
reach Edinburgh.
There are 2 ways to open a bank account once you are here:
(i) Apply to the University for a Bank Letter of Introduction. If you are in University
accommodation then you will be provided with a letter from the Accommodation Services
Office. If you are in private accommodation, and once you have chosen your preferred
bank, you can apply online ( for a Bank Letter of
Introduction. Your letter will be posted to your Edinburgh address and will take approximately
3-5 days to process. Take the letter, together with your passport and proof of student status, to
the bank of your choice in order to open an account.
(ii) Visit the bank of your choice taking your passport, the original unconditional offer letter
from the University of Edinburgh, evidence of your home address such as a bank statement
(translated if possible) and evidence of your Edinburgh address (such as a tenancy agreement
from a reputable letting agency or a utility bill). It is sometimes difficult for students to provide
adequate proof of their Edinburgh address. If you are in this situation then you would be best
advised to apply for a Bank Letter of Introduction (see above).
Most banks offer a basic bank account in conjunction with a savings account. This means that
you will not have access to any credit facilities. Due to tightened security measures, it may take
several weeks for your account to be opened so please ensure that you bring enough money
to cover your expenses during this time.
• For students living in University accommodation we recommend bringing around £1,000
  (single student in University accommodation) in the form of traveller’s cheques in UK
  pounds sterling and a small amount of cash. You will need more than this if (a) you are in
  private, rented accommodation where you may need to pay a deposit as well as rent initially
  or (b) if you are accompanied by dependants
• If you bring a banker’s draft in sterling with you (payable to yourself), then you can open an
  account at a convenient bank. The draft will take approximately 5 days to clear. Generally,
  you will not have to pay any charges for transferring the funds into an account in a UK bank,
  provided the funds are in sterling. However, a charge is made to transfer funds electronically
If you are a sponsored student and your sponsor has given you a banker’s draft or cheque,
please note that it will not be possible to obtain cash for either of these in the UK and it will
have to be paid into a bank account.


Visa and Access (Mastercard, Eurocard) are widely accepted throughout the UK. They are also
a useful means of establishing a credit rating.

Banks in Edinburgh
The banks and/or branches marked * are convenient to the University campus.
1 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2BD
Bank of Scotland/Halifax:
*University Branch, Student Centre, 4 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH1 1JB
*Chambers Street Branch, 32A Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL
Clydesdale Bank:
*University Branch, 29/30 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9BX
118 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH4 2AA
Lloyds TSB:
*9/11 Clerk Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8JH
28 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2DS
NatWest Bank:
*University Branch, 13a Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AJ
Note: this is a small branch with restricted hours of business but they will be able to assist you.
8 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2SB
Royal Bank of Scotland:
*Nicolson Street Branch, 30 Nicolson Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9DL
*University Branch, 61 Forrest Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2QP

pre-arrival guide
Council Tax

The Council Tax is a charge made by local authorities for each property within the area. It is
partly a property tax and partly a personal tax, and it helps pay for local services.
Full-time students who are enrolled at a UK educational establishment are granted exemption
from council tax for the duration of their course. Part-time students, 5th year PhD students
and short-term exchange or visiting students are not exempt from council tax charge however
as the legislation only grants exemption to students who are registered with the university as
attending a full-time course of study. In order to satisfy the ‘full-time’ criteria you must:
1. Be studying for at least 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks per year
2. Be within the prescribed period for your course (except for 4th year PhD students, who can
   still qualify. However, 5th year PhD students are considered to be outwith their prescribed
   period of study)
If you live in halls of residence then you are exempt from the council tax charge as the council
grant automatic exemption to properties attached to educational establishments. If you live
in shared accommodation, whether owned by a private landlord, or owned or managed by
the University Accommodation Services, then you will be assessed for council tax liability.
Students who are applying for exemption on the basis that the property is exclusively occupied
by full-time students will have to inform City of Edinburgh Council that they and everyone else
in the flat are full-time students. This is done by the tenants of the property sending a letter
to the council informing them of all tenants’ names, and if they are full-time students, their
matriculation numbers. The council can check this against a list of names and matriculation
numbers provided by the university and will send an exemption notice to the property. If there
are full-time students sharing a property with non-students and/or part-time students then
the council will issue a bill to anyone in the property who is not a full-time student (full-time
students are not named on the bill as long as the council have been informed of their status).
If you are accompanied by your spouse or civil partner who has entered the UK on a student
dependant visa, they would normally be liable for council tax. However, there is a special
exemption to cover these dependants within the council tax legislation, since they may not
legally have the option to work, and certainly will not be able to claim benefits due to the
immigration laws in this country. If you want to apply to the council for this exemption you
should write to the council asking them to check your student status with the Registry list,
enclosing copies of both passports. The Advice Place has a standard letter you can use as
a guide when writing to the council for exemption in this case – just ask for a copy. (This
exemption only applies to international student dependants who are subject to immigration
control, not the dependants of EC students).
The level of council tax depends on which band the property falls into (these range from A to
H) and is determined by the value of the property; this amount can be subject to change each
year in April and is decided by the local council.
• Charge for April 2008 – April 2009 ranges from £,032.35- £3,097.06
If you are unsure of your eligibility for exemption or need further information about who is
eligible to pay, please contact the Advice Place for assistance, or alternatively contact the
Revenues and Benefits section of City of Edinburgh Council (see useful addresses, inside
back cover).

Payment of Tuition and Other Related Fees

These are shown in the document Table of Fees for Session 2008-09, which is
available from the Scholarships and Student Finance Office in Registry. You can
email:, telephone 0131 650 2230, or find up-to-date information
at the following web page:
All fees are payable in pounds sterling. Information on the payment methods
offered by the University is available at
Payment of fees may be made in either of 3 ways:
. Payment in full at registration (matriculation)
2. By instalment (first instalment is due at registration/matriculation)
3. In advance (see below for details)
1. The University will accept the payment of fees in full by sterling cheque or
bankers draft made out to “The University of Edinburgh”, debit card (Maestro,
Delta, Electron or Solo), credit card (Visa or MasterCard), or travellers’ cheques.
We strongly discourage students from making payment by cash.
2. The University is able in many cases to agree that tuition fees may be
settled by payment in three instalments. The first Instalment must be paid at
registration and the remaining instalments will be paid by direct debit
(from a UK bank account only). Details about paying by instalment:
3. Making appropriate financial arrangements for payment of your tuition fees
before arriving in Edinburgh: we accept transfers of funds for the full tuition fee
prior to registration. To transfer money to pay your fees, send it to the University’s
tuition fee account:
The Bank of Scotland
32A Chambers Street
Edinburgh, EH1 1JB
Sort code: 80-02-24
Account number: 00919728
Swift code: BofS GB2S
IBAN Number: GB60 BOFS 8002 2400 9197 28
Please retain a copy of the transaction document, which you should bring to
registration, if you are attending in person. See note 1 at the end of this section.
Alternatively, payment for your full tuition fees can be made by credit or debit
card through the University of Edinburgh’s Electronic Receipting Application at:
You will be issued with a receipt, which you should bring to registration.

                                                                                       Payment of Tuiti
    pre-arrival guide
    Payment of Tuition and Other Related Fees

    Points to remember
    When transferring funds from your bank, you must ensure that your bank quotes your name
    as a reference and, preferably, your student (matriculation) number if known. Failure to do this
    may delay the correct identification of funds received, and hence your registration.
    • You must bring a copy of your transfer document to registration, if you are attending in
    • In some instances the transfer of funds can take several weeks to effect. Please allow time
      for this to ensure that the fees arrive in time for registration
    • Banks involved in transferring funds frequently deduct varying amounts from the sum
      remitted to cover their own administration costs. Where this happens, it will result in a small
      balance being due by the student at registration
    • The UK has not joined the Euro zone, and sterling remains the legal currency in this country.
      Payment of tuition fees must be made in sterling

!   Notes:
    1. Some students are eligable to register by post, see Registry website for further details
    2. For international students applying for a visa: Copies of the same documentation used for
       your visa application demonstrating that you have adequate means of financial support in
       place should be brought with you to registration, if you are attending in person
    3. It is important to be aware of the University’s policy regarding the payment of tuition fees:

ion and Other Related Fees
    pre-arrival guide

                             six                Employment
                             Insurance – Personal and Health
                                              Health Matters

    Pre Arrival Guideguide

    International students who have a ‘restriction’      SAGE (Student and Graduate
    stamp placed in their passports are generally        Employment @ the Careers Service)
    permitted to work up to 20 hours per week
    during each semester, and full-time during           SAGE is part of the Careers Service is based at
    vacations.                                           33 Buccleuch Place, and maintains a list of job

!   Note: The University recommends that students
    work no more than 15 hours per week during
                                                         vacancies suitable for students. You can register
                                                         with them once you have your matriculation
                                                         number and student email account.
    each semester.
                                                         Visiting/Short Term Students (those coming to
    • Undergraduate students may work full time          the UK for courses of 6 months or less) – If you
      during the Christmas and Easter vacation           wish to work part time during your studies, you
      periods and at the end of semester 2               must apply for entry clearance as a student
    • Masters students may work full time during the     before travelling to the UK. (Currently £99).
      Christmas and Easter breaks only. They are         If you do not apply for entry clearance before
      not permitted to work full time again until they   travelling to the UK, as a result of recent
      have completed their course which is normally      immigration changes it is no longer possible to
      at the end of August each year                     have your stamp reversed to allow you to work
    • PhD students are advised to work no more           or to extend your stay in the UK. Working with a
      than 20 hours during the period of their           ‘prohibition’ stamp in your passport is a breach
      studies                                            of immigration regulations.

    EU accession countries and                           Post-Study Work
    employment                                           The UK Government will include ‘Post-Study
    1. Nationals from the following countries which      Work’ in Tier 1 of the planned new Points Based
    joined the EU on 1 May 2004 should apply             System. This will replace the International
    through the Worker Registration Scheme if they       Graduates Scheme and Fresh Talent Working in
    wish to work:                                        Scotland Scheme. Under the new ‘Post-Study
    Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia,            Work’ category, a succesful application will allow
    Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.            you to live and work in the UK for two years
    •                Sources of information:
    2. Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU on             1 Information on working during your studies:
    1 January 2007. Nationals of these countries         •
    should apply for a Registration Certificate on
    form BR1.                                            2 Students from the European Economic Area:
    These certificates are issued to those Romanian
    and Bulgarians exercising treaty rights as self      3 Student and Graduate Employment (SAGE) at
    employed persons, self sufficient persons or         the University:
    students and will indicate that the holder has       •
    limited access to the labour market.
                                                         4 Working in the UK after your studies:


Personal insurance
You should ensure that you take out adequate insurance protection to cover personal items
- baggage, books, personal computers, etc. Insurance can be arranged on arrival but make
sure that your travel insurance continues until you have other arrangements in place. If you are
in University accommodation, insurance is included in the rent.

Health insurance
All international students in full-time education in Scotland are eligible for National Health
Service (NHS) treatment. This includes your spouse, registered civil partner and school-age
children (if still in full-time education). Please note that this only applies whilst you are studying
in the UK. Proof of exemption status must be provided when registering with the practice
(your unconditional offer letter from the university, proof of ID and proof of address have to be
If you are a student from an EEA (European Economic Area) country, you are also exempt from
NHS charges as long as you have proof of this status ie passport.
However, it is recommended that you take out private insurance to cover the period until
registration (matriculation) at the University.
It may be worth considering an additional policy, which is especially designed for international
students, and covers your insurance needs comprehensively, including repatriation costs
in the event of illness. Full details of this policy offered by Endsleigh and called ‘Insurance
for International Students Studying in the UK’ are available by contacting their local office in
1 Forrest Road (on the corner of 6 Greyfriar’s Place)
Tel: 0131 220 0678 (click on the ‘Travel Insurance’ option).
Other companies offer insurance policies for students so do look for the best package.

pre-arrival guide
Health Matters

Registering with a doctor                             website for details of the most frequently
                                                      asked questions and information on the
If you will be staying in Edinburgh for more
                                                      NHS system
than 3 months, you should register with a
doctor soon after your arrival so that you can      Meningitis C vaccination
receive treatment quickly and easily.               You are strongly advised to be vaccinated
                                                    against Meningitis C before you come to
The University Health Service provides              Edinburgh in order that the vaccination has
comprehensive medical care under the                adequate time to become effective.
National Health Service for those who wish to
register as patients of the practice, and who       MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella)
live within the practice area. Alternatively, you   vaccination. There has been a significant
may register with any other general practice        increase in cases of mumps over the last few
near where you live. Special arrangements for       years. You are strongly advised to ensure that
registration are made during Freshers’ Week         you are fully vaccinated against MMR
at the beginning of the academic session            (ie had 2 MMR vaccinations) before coming
and, although you may have to wait, you are         to Edinburgh.
strongly advised to register then.                  Note: Students of Medicine should receive
Full-time overseas students who become ill          separate detailed instructions regarding
after arrival in the UK may obtain National         Hepatitis B immunisation.
Health Service treatment without charge,            Llink:
provided they are registered on a recognised
course. However, there is a charge (currently       University Health Service
£5) for each item of medicine that a doctor         Richard Verney Health Centre
may prescribe. This charge will reduce              6 Bristo Square
each year thereafter until issued free in           Edinburgh, EH8 9AL
2011. Please ask the pharmacist for advice
about your possible eligibility for exemption.      Email:
Dentists and opticians also make a charge for       Tel: 0131 650 2777
treatment.                                          University Pharmacy
If your stay in Edinburgh is only temporary,        6 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL
that is for less than 3 months, you do not          Tel: 0131 650 2525
need to register with a doctor but will be
seen as a temporary patient, if you require         The Student Counselling Service
medical treatment. In these circumstances,          The Student Counselling Service provides
all you have to do is to contact the practice       a confidential service to all matriculated
of your choice, explain that you are staying in     students including international students.
Edinburgh for a short time, and ask to see a        The counselling offered is usually short term
doctor.                                             (4-6 sessions) and is free of charge.
Important points:                                   The counsellors are all professionally qualified
• Remember to bring with you a supply of            and are here to help you with any difficulty
  any regular medication you are taking             you might have.
• Please be aware that the services provided        Further information available is from:
  under the National Health Service may vary
  from the healthcare system in your own
  country. Visit the University Health Service

pre-arrival guide

 seven              January Starts

pre-arrival guide
January Starts

Additional information for students arriving in January 2009
Visiting undergraduate (Study Abroad) students arriving in January should consider this
information as a supplement to the rest of the Pre-Arrival Guide.

Arrival information
There will be a Welcome Service at Edinburgh Airport on Saturday 10 January 2009 (one day
only) from 8.30am-8.30pm. Please contact the International Office for further details.
Edinburgh hosts a lively Hogmanay (New Year) Festival each year from 29 December to 2
January. There will be many visitors in the city, and hotels/guesthouses will be busy. If you plan
to arrive at this time, you would be well advised to book accommodation as soon as possible.
In Scotland both 1 and 2 January are public holidays. This means that shops and banks will be

Living costs
Please refer to page 30 for details.

Arriving in the UK
The beginning of January is a very busy time at UK airports and railway stations. It would
therefore be advisable to book your travel tickets as soon as possible. Please refer to page 12.

Arriving in Edinburgh
Please refer to page 15

When should I apply for accommodation?
Students arriving in January 2009 should apply online for accommodation no later than 30th
November 2008. See Accommodation Services’ website for details of
the application process.

When will I be able to move into my accommodation?
In general, we would encourage you to arrive in Edinburgh on Saturday 10 January, before the
start of the Second Semester, so that you have a little time to settle in and can participate in the
Orientation Day on 11 January.
You should usually plan to arrive between 9am and 5pm over the weekend of 10/11 January
2009, when staff will be available to help you.
Please note that keys cannot be issued unless Accommodation Services has already received
all the necessary acceptance documents from you, including your £250 deposit. If you have
not already returned these, you should in all cases go first to the Reception Centre at Pollock
Halls, which will be open between 9am and 5pm on both Saturday 0 January and
Sunday  January.
Important Note: Some of the above arrangements may be subject to change. Full arrival
and key collection information will be provided in your offer pack. If you have any questions,
contact Accommodation Services’ Reception (Tel: +44 (0)131 667 1971).

January Starts

Orientation Day
Orientation Day will be held on 11 January 2009 from 11am-4pm (David Hume Tower, Lecture
Theatre A, George Square) and is open to all international visiting undergraduate students
beginning their studies in the second semester. All students will receive an invitation to this event
in December. If you do not, please notify the International Office.
During Orientation Day you will have the opportunity to tour the university campus, gain some
practical advice about life in Edinburgh and meet other students and staff. In the past, students
have found it an enjoyable and useful start to their stay in Edinburgh.

Visiting undergraduate students will be invited to register during office hours at Registry, Old
College, South Bridge, on a specified date between Monday 12 January and Friday 16 January
2009. You will need to see your Director of Studies in the first few days after your arrival.

Health matters
Registering with a doctor (see page 40).

pre-arrival guide

The First Few Days
Further Useful Information
Admissions Offices

The First Few Days

     Contact your family at home to reassure them that you have arrived safely!
 2    Go to your accommodation, if you have the address. Otherwise, contact Accommodation
      Services (tel: 0131 667 1971), or visit the Reception at Pollock Halls of Residence
 3    Check your Accommodation offer regarding the provision of bedding/crockery etc.
      You may have to buy these items if you are in a student flat
 4    If you do not have a copy of the Campus map, ask at Reception
      at the International Office
 5    Consider buying a map of the city
 6    Join in the International Day and Freshers’ Week activities. (see pages 25 and 26)
 7    Register with the police, if this is required (see page 10)
 8    Visit our International Café/Information Point (see page 27)
 9    Join in one of the campus and shopping tours during Freshers’ Week
 0   Open a bank account as soon as possible (see page 32)
    Follow the Registration procedure and make arrangements for your fees payment
      (see pages 22 and 35)
 2   Undergraduate students - arrange to meet with your Director of Studies after registration
 3   Postgraduate students in the College of Humanities and Social Science and the
      College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine can go directly to Adam House to
      register but please make contact with staff at your College Information Desk.
      Those in the College of Science and Engineering must visit their School Office first
      before registering
 4   Postgraduate students: Check your position regarding the Test of English at Matriculation
      (TEAM) test. Website:
 5   Ensure that you have insurance (see page 39)
 6   Register with a doctor (Remember that students here for 3 months or less do not need to
      do so - see page 40)
 7   Think about whether you need to buy a television licence
      (if you have a television in your accommodation)
 8   Plan your weekly budget
 9   Learn about study skills:
 20   Ask for a copy of the Post-Arrival Guide from EUSA, The Advice Place or
      the International Office
 2   Visit the International Student Centre (ISC) at 22b Buccleuch Place. The ISC have
      a programme of interesting and fun events organised during Freshers’ Week and
      throughout semesters 1 and 2 thereafter.
 22   Remember that we are here to help so do call into the International Office if
      you need any assistance

pre-arrival guide
Further Useful Information

The University’s website:                       University Guide and offer a wide range of services
                                                              and activities, including a swimming pool at St
English Language Support for International Students           Leonards Land, Holyrood Road. It has a close liaison
• If your first language is not English and you feel that     with the Sports Union and the Department of Physical
  you would like to improve your skills, details of the       Education, Sport and Leisure Studies further enhancing
  courses available can be obtained from:                     the University’s specialised facilities.
   Institute for Applied Language Studies,          
   21 Hill Place
                                                              Edinburgh University Sports Union is the student-
   Edinburgh, EH8 9DP
                                                              run body for the organisation of sport at Edinburgh
   Tel: 0131-650 6200,
                                                              University. As a matriculated student of the university
                                                              you are automatically a member of the Sports Union                      and able to become a member of all of the clubs,
• Postgraduate students: Test of English at                   compete in intra-mural sport, or just take advantage
   Matriculation (TEAM) for students taking a degree at       of some of Edinburgh’s fantastic facilities in your own
   Edinburgh                                                  time.
If the English test score that you presented when you
applied to the University was below 7.0 IELTS (below          Food
TOEFL paper 600, CBT 250 or iBT 100), you are
                                                              There is a wide variety of foods (meat, fruit, vegetables,
required to take TEAM as part of your matriculation. If
                                                              spices, etc) available from local shops. Edinburgh is a
you scored at least 7.0 IELTS (TOEFL paper 600, CBT
                                                              cosmopolitan city and there are specialist and ethnic
250 or iBT 100) you are not obliged to take TEAM,
                                                              shops and restaurants throughout the city. Halal meat
but we recommend you to do so, if you want to see
                                                              is readily available and there are a number of stores
whether you qualify for a place in our free ELTT English
                                                              within 5 minutes of the central campus. Although there
courses. See the following website for details:
                                                              are no kosher delicatessens in Edinburgh, you can buy
                                                              bread and other limited items of food from specialist
                                                              shops or from some larger supermarkets in Edinburgh.
Disabled students
                                                              Glasgow does have kosher delicatessens. Helpful link:
Disabled students are warmly encouraged to come to  
the University of Edinburgh.
                                                              Link here to a shopping guide/food budget at local
The Disability Office provides information and advice         supermarkets:
on all aspects of support for disabled students and can
help you plan your studies at Edinburgh. If you think         Healthy eating
you are eligible for any adaptations, adjustments to
                                                              Please refer to UKCISA’s ‘Keeping Healthy’ leaflet
teaching practice or personal assistance (e.g. a note
taker or proof reader) it is essential that you contact
the Disability Office as soon as you are accepted to          Useful link for new recipes
discuss this with an Advisor. It is also essential that you
                                                              First of all, remember to ask your family and friends
bring medical evidence of your disability, or a relevant
                                                              for some of your favourite recipes before leaving
specialist report (such as an Educational Psychologist’s
                                                              home! Also the BBC food website is a great source of
assessment of dyslexia) when you arrive. For further
                                                              information for new recipes.
information please see:
Contact details: see Useful Addresses in the next

Sport and societies
The Centre for Sport and Exercise at the University of
Edinburgh is centrally located at 46 The Pleasance, in
the heart of the University community, where it offers
a comprehensive recreational programme throughout
the year. The facilities are rated 5* in the Times Good

Further Useful Information

International Student Centre                        There is a fee for the use of this
                                                             service. More information at:
The International Student Centre (ISC) is the
headquarters of the University of Edinburgh’s (UoE)
international student community.
                                                             Chaplaincy Centre
Co-ordinated by a committee of student volunteers,           The Chaplaincy Centre, at the hub of University life,
the ISC organises an eclectic programme of journeys          is for your use, whatever your background, culture
around Scotland, cultural events and social gatherings       or belief. Please feel free to drop in Monday to Friday
throughout the year at minimal, or no cost. The              during the semester between 9.30am and 4pm.
hub of the ISC is the lounge/café located at 22b             Location: next to the Potterrow Student Union in Bristo
Buccleuch Place (open weekday afternoons to all              Square. Map reference:
matriculated UoE students) with a range of international
publications, free coffee evenings, and information/         Further information is available from:
tickets for upcoming events. The ISC is also part of a
European-wide network of exchange students (ESN).            or contact us on 0131 650 2595
Tel: 0131 650 4281 (only during opening hours)               (see Useful Addresses, back cover).
Email:                               International student telephone cards
                                                             These are available from the University Student Centre
The University of Edinburgh Women’s                          Shops at Potterrow, David Hume Tower
Club, International Group                                    and King’s Buildings.
We provide opportunities for the wives of
international postgraduate students and postdoctoral         Computers/Email
workers, and for women postgraduate students and             If you are considering bringing your laptop and require
women postdoctoral workers, and their children, to           advice, please take a look at the Web-based Student
make contacts, form friendships and obtain information       Helpdesk at:
about the practical aspects of living in Edinburgh. We       student or email: After you
offer weekly English lessons by qualified teachers;          arrive at the University, staff at the Student Support
creche facilities are available. We also have a limited      Helpdesk in the Learning & Resource Centre on the
supply of equipment for babies and young children            2nd floor of the Main Library can also assist you. Note
(cots, buggies, and high chairs) which are available to      that you are allocated an email address prior to arrival,
borrow.                                                      and will be able to access your University email at
                                                    after you have registered with
For more detailed information contact the International      EASE.
Office, 57 George Square, or telephone 0131 650 3470.
                                                             Countries which have embassies
Overseas Students’ Hospitality Scheme                        and consulates in Edinburgh
We have a large number of hosts from both the
university population and local churches who invite our
students for coffee or a meal, in either the city or their   Students from Japan
home, or perhaps ask them to join in a family activity
or outing. Further details will be available from the        To enable the Consulate General of Japan to offer
                                                             assistance to you for any reason whilst you are in the
International Office website.
                                                             UK, please register with them on arrival In Edinburgh.
HOST UK (Hosting for Overseas                                You are asked to complete a ‘Zairyutodoke’ form details
                                                             of which you will find on the Consulate’s website:
HOST is a charitable organisation. The aim is to help
students from overseas to make the most of their time        What is culture shock?
in the UK and to promote international friendship and        “Culture shock” describes the impact of moving from
understanding. HOST provides you with an opportunity         a familiar culture to one which is unfamiliar. It is an
to spend a few days with British residents who will          experience described by people who have travelled
introduce you to the British way of life. Placements         abroad to work, live or study. Read more here:
throughout the UK are available. If you decide to
participate, you can apply directly online

pre-arrival guide
Admissions Offices

Admissions offices
The University of Edinburgh’s academic structure is based on 3 Colleges
containing a total of 21 Schools. Links to the Colleges and Schools are
presented below. Use the following link for an alphabetical listing of over 200
Sub-units, Centres and Institutes.

General enquiries
If you wish to make an enquiry to one of the following addresses, please send
an email in the first instance. However, you may already have received a letter
confirming your admission to the University, in which case, enquiries should
be directed to the signatory.

College of Humanities and Social Sciences:
Arts, Divinity, Education, Law, Music and Social Sciences
Visiting students:
College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine:
   Veterinary Medicine:

College of Science and Engineering
Visiting students:


Shared By: