Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out



									STEP 1                        STEP 2                      STEP 3                             STEP 4
Check out                     Submit your                 Wait to receive your               Submit interim documents for
program options,              application online.         U of A email and IDs.              Early Admission consideration.
                              Fill out the online         If you apply online, you will      Starting as early as November, your
requirements, and
                              application for admission   receive important information      application will be processed for Early
deadlines.                    at www.registrar.           from the U of A by e-mail within   Admission after we receive the necessary
                               48 hours of submitting your        documents.
Explore the impressive list
of our program options                                    application.
                              You can fill out the                                           With Early Admission, you will be able to start
(page 23)! Choose a           application now and send    You will receive:                  your study permit application and be eligible
Faculty and program           your documents later.
appropriate for you.                                                                         to register in courses earlier than if you wait
                                                          • Your 7-digit ID number           until the final document deadlines. (Early
                              Tips:                         (include this with any
You will need to:                                                                            Admission is not final admission. You will
                                                            correspondence and               need to complete Step 8 and submit official
                              • Be sure to use your         documents).
• Check U of A’s English        full legal name on                                           and complete documents by the deadline.)
  language proficiency          the application form      • Your Campus Computing ID         High school students: Submit an unofficial
  requirements.                 (as it appears in your      (CCID) and password, which       school transcript that shows all of the courses
                                passport).                  you will use to access Bear
• Check to find out what                                                                     you have already taken and grades you
  the admission subject                                     Tracks, where you can track      have already received, as well as interim (i.e.
                              • Include your personal       the status of your application
  requirements are for          email address on your                                        midterm) results for courses still in progress.
  your program.                                             for admission at
                                application form (you       https://www.beartracks.          Postsecondary transfer students: can
                                will need to validate
• Find out the                                                                               also be considered for Early Admission to
                                your email as part
  application and                                                                            many programs. Submit transcripts for
                                of the application        • Login information for your
  document deadlines.                                                                        your entire academic record (high school
                                process).                   U of A webmail account.          and postsecondary). For the current year in
                                                            This is your personal e-mail     progress, you must submit all the transcripts
                              • You will be required        account with the University
                                to submit a CAD $115                                         up to and including: first semester results;
NOTE: Some programs                                         and will become our main         second semester registration for the
can be entered directly         application fee by          source for sending you
                                credit card.                                                 institution you are currently attending; official
from high school, while                                     information. You are required    and final transcripts for any other institutions
others require pre-                                         to check this account            previously attended; and detailed course
                              • Make sure that you
professional study in                                       regularly for communications.    descriptions of each course .
                                receive and save the
another Faculty at the
                                electronic receipt        NOTE: See the U of A
U of A.                                                                                      All applicants must also submit evidence of
                                to confirm that your      Electronic Communications
                                application was                                              English language proficiency (passing score
You can apply to up to                                    Policy at https://www.             or scheduled test date).
three different programs,       submitted successfully.
in order of preference.                                   ecommunications                    Remember to include your U of A 7-digit
                              • If you are unable to
                                submit the application                                       ID number with all documents and
                                online, use the PDF                                          correspondence.
                                copy of the application
                                                                                             Send your documents to:
                                from www.registrar.
                                                                  University of Alberta
                                                                                             Office of the Registrar and
                              • There is also a paper
                                                                                             Student Awards
                                application beginning
                                                                                             201 Administration Building
                                on page 56 that you
                                                                                             Edmonton, AB, Canada
                                can fill out or use as
                                                                                             T6G 2M7
                                a reference.

STEP 5                            STEP 6                                  STEP 7                             STEP 8
Explore scholarship               Apply to live                           Apply for your                     Send your official and
opportunities.                    on-campus.                              study permit.                      complete documents
                                                                                                             by the deadline.
U of A provides international     All international students who          In order to study in Canada,
students with exceptional         apply for housing before April          you will require a study permit.   Your application will be
financial rewards for             30, 2011 are guaranteed a space         Application processing time        processed for final admission
academic and extracurricular      in one of our residences for            can take up to three months to     once we have received your
achievements.                     their first year. This application is   complete. We encourage you to      original official documents,
                                  separate from your application          apply for your study permit well   showing us your complete
In most cases, you will           to study at U of A.                     in advance of your program         academic record, by the
automatically be considered                                               start date.                        deadline.
for scholarships (page 19), but   If you have a preference for a
some competitions require a       particular residence community          You can use your letter of Early
specialized application.          (page 13), make sure you apply          Admission to start your study      ro.cfm?id=160
                                  as early as possible, starting          permit application.       October 1, 2010.                                                           Even if you are offered Early
ca/prospective/scholarships.                                              For complete information on        Admission, you must send your
cfm                               You can submit your housing             immigration and application        official documents and meet
                                  application once you have               requirements, consult the          all conditions listed in your Early
                                  applied for admission and               Government of Canada website       Admission letter in order to
                                  obtained your 7-digit U of A            at                   finalize your admission.
                                  student ID number. You can
                                  apply online at www.ualberta.           You may also contact the           Documents must be sent to
                                  ca/residences                           U of A’s International Student     U of A’s Registrar’s Office
                                                                          Services for advice at arriving@   directly from the authorized
                                  There is a CAD $175 application          issuing institution by the
                                  fee for housing (a partial refund                                          posted deadlines.
                                  of $150 may be available if you
                                  are unable to attend and cancel                                            The typical documents
                                  before room offers are made).                                              you will be required to
                                                                                                             provide are:

                                                                                                             • Proof of English language
                                                                                                               proficiency (eg. TOEFL, IELTS,

                How to

                                                                                                             • High school grades and
                                                                                                               transcripts, certificates, and/
                                                                                                               or diplomas.

                                                                                                             • Transcripts from any
                                                                                                               postsecondary institutions
                                                                                                               you have attended.

                                                                                                             • Detailed course descriptions
                                                                                                               for each postsecondary
                                                                                                               course completed outside of

            for                                                                                              • Official English translation of
                                                                                                               all documentation not issued
                                                                                                               originally in English or French.

Undergraduate Studies
Undergraduate                                                                                 • Completing an undergraduate
                                                                                                program will give you a

                                                                                                Bachelor’s Degree.

                                                                                              • An undergraduate program will
                                                                                                last four years on average. Some
                                                                                                programs may take longer to
Admission is competitive and is based on your complete academic history and
achievement in three main areas:

                     1. Your English Language Profic

                                           y requirements.     oficienc
                                           glish language pr
                     See page 44 for En

                       2. Your ac ademic history, s
                                              d certain
                       tha t you have fulfille uirements

                                         t req
                       academic subjec                 have                  ow that they
                                                       high school must sh                   bjects you
                        For exam  ple, students from                   ts. The admission su
                                            eted   5 admission subjec                       k our website to
                        successfully compl                            Faculty. Please chec
                                            ill vary by program and                          ram of choice.
                        need to present w                               esent for your prog
                                              ects  you will need to pr
                         find out which subj
                                                          stsecondary prereq
                          Some prog  rams may have po
                                                                estions and exam
                          See pages 45-4   6 for common qu

                          3. Your grades on the s shown
                          subject requirements
                          on your transcripts)        depending             to U of A varies
                                                    average to be accepted
                           The minimum admission                    e. The averages change eac
                                                                                              h year.
                           on the Faculty an d program of your choic
                                                     tive averages.
                           See page 47 for competi
English language proficiency requirement (ELP)
•     All undergraduate applicants to English-
      speaking and bilingual programs need
      an adequate level of English language
      proficiency before admission, regardless
      of their citizenship status or country of

    How can I show that I’ve met the
    Completing a test of English
    Language Proficiency and earning
    the minimum score required by
                                                  •   The University of Alberta reserves the
                                                      right to use discretion in determining
                                                      adequate levels of language proficiency
                                                      to ensure success in academic programs.
                                                      In some cases, additional English
                                                      language testing, conducted by the

                                                  U of A will accept one of the following:

                                                  (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
                                                                                                                    Faculty of Extension, may be
                                                                                                                    required to confirm English proficiency.

                                                                                                               Details and conditions

                                                                                                               iBT: at least 86, with a minimum score of 21
                                                                                                               points in each section,
                                                                                                               or, Paper based: 580
    U of A.
    (See Note 4)                                  IELTS (academic) (International English                      At least 6.5 with no band less than 5.0.
                                                  Language Testing System).
                                                  CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language                     at least 70.
                                                  assessment exam).
                                                  MELAB (Michigan English Assessment Battery).                 at least 85.

                                                  PTE (Pearson Test of English) (Academic)                     at least 59.

    Completing certain courses                    English Language Arts 30-1 course (Alberta                   Final blended grade of 75% or better.
    that have been approved by                    High School).
    U of A, and achieving a certain               International Baccalaureate English A1, A2.                  A grade of 5 or better.
    minimum grade in that course.
    (See Note 4)                                  International Baccalaureate English B.                       A grade of 6 or better.
                                                  Advanced Placement English.                                  A grade of 4 or better on the AP English
                                                                                                               College Board examination.
                                                  O-level, GCSE, IGCSE, AS-level or A-level                    A grade of B or better (See Note 7).
                                                  English Language or Literature course.
                                                  6 credits of transferable university-level English           A grade of B+ or better.
                                                  Language and Literature completed at a
                                                  postsecondary institution where English is the
                                                  language of instruction.
                                                  The University of Alberta’s ESL 140/145.                     Successful completion.
    Previous Education in English                 Three full years of education in English in                  Such education must include Alberta Grade 12 or
    (See Notes 1, 2, 3, 5)                        Canada or the equivalent in another country                  its equivalent level, and can be a combination of
                                                  where English is the principal language.                     secondary and postsecondary education.
                                                  Successful completion of the equivalent of                   The level of English proficiency required
                                                  three years of full-time instruction in a school/            for graduation must be equivalent to that
                                                  institution in Canada in which the major                     in English language schools/institutions in
                                                  language of instruction is English.                          Canada.
                                                  Graduation from a degree program offered by                  The institution must be located in a country
                                                  an accredited institution at which English is                where English is the primary language.
                                                  the primary language of instruction.

Spoken English                                    Note 1: Enrolment in English as a second language
                                                  (ESL) courses or programs will not be included in the
                                                                                                                Note 5: For a list of countries and institutions that are
                                                                                                                recognized as having met U of A’s English language

language proficiency                              calculation of three years of full-time study. Enrolment
                                                  must be in a regular high school or postsecondary for-
                                                                                                                proficiency requirement, visit our website at: www.
(required by some programs)                       credit program. Where students are registered in both
                                                                                                                Note 6: In countries where alpha-grades are further
                                                  ESL and regular programs, the ESL hours will be deducted
If you select a program related to Health         from the total educational hours.
                                                                                                                defined by numerical grades, a minimum grade of 3 is
                                                                                                                required to meet ELP (For example: a grade of B3).
Sciences or Education, you will be                Note 2: Proof of three years of education must be
required to meet the spoken English               submitted in the form of official transcripts (including
language proficiency requirement.                 details on course enrolment and hours of instruction).

Please refer to the U of A Calendar for           Note 3: Failing grades/courses will not be counted
                                                  when calculating full-time attendance. Only courses with
how to meet this requirement (Section
                                                  passing grades will be considered.
                                                  Note 4: Standardized test results must be issued directly
                                                  from the testing office. Photocopies will not be accepted.
                                                  Test scores must be valid and verifiable.
Subjects              Subject requirements for undergraduate admission:
                      general information

              To be admitted to a U of A program, you need to show that you have fulfilled certain
              academic requirements, for example: completing certain courses, and/or exams.

Can students enter U of A
undergraduate programs directly
from high school?
                                    How many subjects do I need to present if I am a high school
                                    student entering a Direct Entry program?
                                    You need 5 Admission Subjects taken in high school.
• Direct Entry programs can be      For example:
  entered directly from high
                                    Subject requirements if you apply for the general Bachelor of Science Program
                                    1. English
• Professional programs cannot
  be entered directly from high     2. Algebra (Math)
  school – you need to take some    3. One from Biology, Chemistry,
  postsecondary courses first.         Calculus (Additional Math), Physics,           Some requirements will be specific
  (All prerequisites can be taken                                                      subjects, such as 1 – 4 listed here.
                                       or Computer Science
  at U of A).
                                    4. One from Biology, Chemistry,
                                       Calculus (Additional Math), Physics
                                       or Computer Science
                                    5. Subject from Humanities,
                                                                                     Some requirements can be a subject
                                       Fine Arts, or Sciences                      from either the Humanities, Fine Arts, or
                                                                                             Science categories

                                       See page 48 for more information

                                                 Transfer students:
                                                 If you are transferring from another postsecondary institution, you
                                                 will be evaluated on a combination of your postsecondary and high
                                                 school results.
                                                 NOTE: Some programs will have additional requirements, such as
                                                 portfolios or an audition.

                                                                 To find the specific admission requirements
                                                                 for your program, visit WWW.INTERNATIONAL.
   What courses qualify as                 What subjects do I need to enter         What do I need to send to show
   Humanities, Fine Arts, or Science       a Professional program?                  that I’ve met the admission
   subjects?                                                                        requirements?
                                           • You will need to complete some
   • Humanities subjects: English            postsecondary study (university-       You will need to send us your
     (Literature and Composition);           level) before you can be considered    documentation. Grades can possibly
     Languages other than English;           for admission. All prerequisites can   come from your local high school
     History; Cultural Geography; Social     be taken at U of A.                    curriculum, postsecondary work, or
     Studies; Economics                    • The level and amount of                an internationally recognized exam,
   • Fine Arts subjects: Art; Drama;         postsecondary study required will      such as:
     Music                                   vary by program.                       • IB
   • Science subjects: Algebra (Math);     • Admission is based on your             • AP
     Biology; Calculus (Additional           academic performance at the
                                             postsecondary level, but may also      • SAT (see page 48 for minimum SAT
     Math); Chemistry; Physics; Physical                                              scores)
     Geography; Science; Computer            include some of your high school
     Science                                 matriculation subjects.                • A, AS, or O Levels

                                                      What’s next?
                                                      • Visit
                                                        to see the specific subject requirements for your program
                                                      • Learn about the competitive average required on page 47
                                                      • Learn about the documentation you will need to send on page 49
                                                      • Check the deadlines on page 53


GPA                      Competitive averages

Competitive averages are determined each academic year. The minimum admission average varies
depending on the Faculty and Program; however, in general, applicants are expected to have the
minimum level of achievement indicated below.

• British Curriculum                        • Advanced Placement (AP)                      • US Curriculum
  Grades of A’s and B’s on GCE O-level        A combination of grades of 4                   An overall average of B/B+, with
  and predicted A-level subjects;             and 5, and presentation of the 5               Advanced/Honors Science subjects
  a minimum of 2 (sometimes 3)                matriculation subjects.                        to meet matriculation subjects;
  subjects must be completed at                                                              SAT Reasoning and Subject Test
  the AS or A-level (check the                                                               results can assist you in meeting the
  admission requirement prerequisites       • Chinese Curriculum                             entrance requirements (see Common
  for which subjects must be at the AS        A combination of A’s and B’s on the            equivalency comparisons on
  or A-level).                                Joint Graduation Exam (Hui Kao), or            page 48).
                                              a competitive score on the University
                                              Entrance Exam (Gao Kao), and
• International Baccalaureate (IB)            presentation of the 5 matriculation          Other curricula and credentials will
  (                               subjects. Results must be issued by          also be considered, see
  U of A will award final admission           the governing authority, not by              WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/
  based on a minimum 29-34                    the school.                                  CREDENTIALS
  predicted points on the full diploma
  (excluding bonus points), and
  presentation of the 5 matriculation
  subjects (at higher or standard level).
  Final IB grades in the range of 4 to                 To view competitive admission averages from last year, visit
  7 in the 5 matriculation subjects                           WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/AVERAGES
  are considered competitive for
                                                      Presentation of the minimum requirement does not always guarantee admission.
Begin by consulting WWW.INTERNATIONAL.

CFM to determine what program-specific courses
are required. Then, verify subject equivalencies in the
chart below.

Equivalency comparisons (commonly seen in the American System)
To meet the Subject Requirements, you can present the prerequisites listed in column A, B, C, or D.
 Subject Requirements                                                                  Advanced                           SAT Critical Reading/SAT
 Will Vary by Program      A High School Courses                          or     B     Placement
                                                                                                            or     C      Subject Tests
                                                                                                                                                   or          D        IB courses

 English                   Four years of English Language Arts with a          AP English                        SAT Critical Reading with a minimum        English
                           course in the grade 12 year.                                                          score of 550
                           If a grade 12 course is completed prior to
                           the grade 12 year, this must be indicated on
                           the transcript or in a letter from the school.

 Humanities                Three years of History, Government Studies,         AP Government and                 American History and Social Studies        • Anthropology • Economics • Geography • History
                           or Civics including the grade 12 year.              Politics, AP Human                (minimum score 620);                       • History of the Americas • History of Europe
                                                                               Geography, AP European            World History (minimum score 620);         • History of Africa • History of Asia & Middle East
                           A Language other than English may also be
                                                                               History, AP World History,        French (minimum score 580);                • History of Asia & Oceania • Islamic History
                           used. At least three consecutive years are
                                                                               any Language at the AP            German (minimum score 560);                • Philosophy • Psychology • Arabic • Bengali • Bosnian
                           required, including the grade 12 year.
                                                                               level, AP US History, AP          Latin (minimum score 600);                 • Bulgarian • Cantonese • Chinese • Czech • Danish
                                                                               Micro Economics, AP               Modern Hebrew (minimum score 600);         • Dutch • Finnish • French • German • Greek • Hindi
                                                                               Macro Economics, AP               Italian (minimum score 620);               • Indonesian • Italian • Japanese • Latin • Mandarin
                                                                               Psychology                        Spanish (minimum score 570);               • Norwegian • Polish • Portuguese • Russian • Slovak
                                                                                                                 Korean (minimum score 600);                • Spanish • Swahili • Swedish • Turkish
                                                                                                                 Japanese (minimum score 620);
                                                                                                                 Chinese (minimum score 750)

 Fine Arts                 Three years of the same Fine Arts subject (e.g.     AP Art History, AP Studio         N/A                                        • Art & Design • Dance • Film • Music
                           3 years of Music or 3 years of Art, including       Art, AP Music Theory                                                         • Theatre (Drama Theatre Arts) • Visual Arts
                           the grade 12 year. Combinations of disciplines
                           will not be considered.)

     Algebra / Geometry    Pre-Calculus (Calculus, Statistics, Business        N/A - There is no AP              Mathematics Level 2 or Mathematics IIC     Mathematics (Math studies will not be considered)
                           or Applied Mathematics will not be                  course that meets the             with a minimum score of 600
                           considered.)                                        Algebra requirement for
               Calculus    Calculus course completed in the grade              AP Calculus AB,                   There is no SAT Subject test in Calculus   Mathematics (Math studies will not be considered)
                           12 year.                                            AP Calculus BC
                Biology    One year high school course alone will              AP Biology                        Biology E or Biology M with a minimum      Biology
                           not meet the subject prerequisite for                                                 score of 590
                           admission. *
             Chemistry     One year high school course alone will              AP Chemistry                      Chemistry with a minimum score of 600      Chemistry
                           not meet the subject prerequisite for
                Physics    One year high school course alone will              AP Physics                        Physics with a minimum score of 600        Physics
                           not meet the subject prerequisite for
               Sciences    One year high school course alone will              AP Environmental                  N/A                                        • Computing Science • Design • Environmental Systems
                           not meet the subject prerequisite for               Sciences, AP Statistics ,
                           admission.*                                         AP Computer Science A,
                                                                               AP Computer Science AB

                                                                                                        * Advanced or Honors courses in the US curriculum may meet the subject requirements for certain Faculties.
                                                                                                 Visit WWW.INTERNATIONAL.UALBERTA.CA/PROSPECTIVE/ADMISSIONS.CFM

What should you provide
Do not wait until the deadline to submit your documents. The earlier we receive
your documents, the earlier we can consider you for admission.

Official documentation must be sent
directly from the issuing high school,
postsecondary institution, government,
                                                   evaluated once all supporting
                                                   documents are submitted. A
                                                   maximum of two years of transfer        translations.
                                                                                           other than English or French must
                                                                                           be accompanied by official English

or organization.                                   credit from your previous institution
                                                                                           Please remember to include your
•   One official copy of your high                 can be applied towards a University
                                                   of Alberta degree.                      7 digit U of A ID number in all
    school diploma and a transcript of                                                     correspondence.
    your grades are required.                  Photocopies will not be accepted. In
                                               the event that the issuing institution      Send documents to:
•   If you have attended a
                                               produces only one official copy of the      University of Alberta
    postsecondary institution, then two
    official copies of your postsecondary      document and will not send additional       Office of the Registrar
    transcripts are required. You will         copies to universities, we will accept a    and Student Awards
    need to provide a detailed course          certified copy.                             201 Administration Building
    syllabus for all postsecondary             Certified copies can be authorized by       Edmonton, AB, Canada
    coursework completed outside               one of the following: your high school,     T6G 2M7
    of Canada. The syllabus should             university or college; a notary public; a
    include topics covered, and the            ministry of education office; a Canadian
    total number of lecture hours for          Embassy or Consulate
    each course completed. We will             General.
    accept compiled descriptions from          In the event that
    your institution’s webpage (specific       a certified copy
    URL links must be provided), or            is presented, the
    photocopies from the relevant              original document
    pages of your institution’s course         must be presented
    catalogue. If these are not available,     for verification
    please contact an International            upon your arrival on
    Admissions Advisor in the Registrar’s      campus.
                                               Documents issued
•   Transfer credit is determined on           in a language
    an individual basis and will be

    Information and Privacy
    Canadian law prohibits the University of Alberta from discussing
    the details of an applicant’s file with anyone but the applicant.
    In the event that you wish to allow a counsellor, parent, or
    other third party to have access to your file, written permission
    (including your signature) must accompany the application form.
?   Advanced standing:
    Get university credits for advanced high school curricula
    There are several systems of secondary education that exceed the level of meeting the basic admission
    requirements. The U of A acknowledges the efforts of students who have completed one of the
    programs indicated below. Transfer credit, advanced placement, and the opportunity for credit by special
    assessment are available for students who have demonstrated excellence in specific subject areas.
    Note: Students given advanced placement
    will be permitted to register in a senior course.
    Students entering the Faculty of Arts who are
    given Advanced Placement will be admitted
    to a senior course after determination of their
    background qualifications for that course
    (interview, placement test, etc.). They may also
    challenge a junior or senior course for credit via
    the Credit by Special Assessment route if they
    have appropriate qualifications and are eligible
    within the regulations.
    Note: For students entering the Faculty of
    Engineering, transfer credit for the first (qualifying)
    year courses does not reduce the minimum load
    requirement of 37.0 units.
    Note: Augustana Faculty course equivalents for
    transfer credit are available in the U of A Calendar
    (Section 16, Admissions Chart 6).

    Advanced Standing: British System
    British System Applicants                                  Chart One • Equivalency Chart for British-style Curriculum *
    (Chart One)                                                GCE Advanced A-Level Course (A2-Level)           University of Alberta Equivalents
    The General Certificate of Education (GCE) is              Arabic                                           ARAB 1XX (6)
    one of the most internationally recognized                 Biological Sciences                              BIOL 107 (3)
    systems of secondary education. The U of
    A recognizes the level of commitment                       Chemistry                                        CHEM 101 (3) and 261 (3)
    and excellence required of those who                       Chinese                                          CHINA 101 (3) and 102 (3)
    have completed Advanced Level (A-level)
                                                               Economics                                        ECON 101 (3) and 102 (3)
    subjects. Transfer credit and the opportunity
    to earn credit by special assessment are                   English                                          ENGL 1XX (6)
    available for students who have completed                  History                                          HIST 120 (6)
    specific A-level subjects with a grade of A or
                                                               Mathematics                                      Eligible to apply for credit by special assessment for MATH 114 (3)
    B. Advanced Subsidiary (AS-level) subjects
    are considered grade 12-level equivalent                   Further Mathematics (*MATH 120 only awarded if   STAT 141 (3) and MATH 120 (3). Eligible to apply for credit by
    and can be used for admission, but do not                  A-level Math written on or after June 2002)      special assessment for MATH 114/115
    qualify for advanced standing.                                                                              PHYS 124 (3) and 126 (3) with a grade of “A”.
                                                               Physics                                          A grade of “B” will qualify if the student has a minimum “B” in A-level
                = units of course weight (credits)                                                             Mathematics.
                                                               Psychology                                       PSYCO 1XX (3) (Faculty of Arts)
                              * refer to Notes listed above.
                                                               Sociology                                        SOC 100 (3)
                                                               Spanish                                          SPAN 100 (6)

Advanced standing: IB
International Baccalaureate (IB) Applicants (Chart Two)
                                                                                                                        Note 1: Credit will be awarded for all five
U of A recognizes the academic rigors of the IB program in a number of ways. Transfer credit                            regional options offered at the higher level (HL),
can be awarded for specific IB courses if you present a minimum grade of 6 (Chart Two),                                 including Africa; Americas; East and South East
exclusive scholarships are dedicated to full IB Diploma candidates, special IB advisors are                             Asia and Oceania; Europe (including Russia/
available to assist you, and final admission based on predicted IB grades may be possible.                              USSR); and South Asia and the Middle East
Contact:                                                                                       (including North Africa).
                                                                                                                        * Refer to Notes on page 50.
Chart Two • Equivalency Chart for IB Courses *
 International               University of Alberta         International                  University of Alberta
 Baccalaureate Courses       Equivalents                   Baccalaureate Courses          Equivalents
 Anthropology (HL)           ANTHR 100-level (3)          Japanese B (HL or SL)          JAPAN 101 (3) and
                                                                                          JAPAN 102 (3)
 Biology (HL)                BIOL 107 (3)
                                                           Latin (HL)                     LATIN 101 (3) and
 Chemistry (HL)              CHEM 101 (3)                                                LATIN 102 (3)
                             [or CHEM 103 (4.3)
                             for Engineering only]         Mathematics (HL)               MATH 114 (3) [or MATH
                                                                                          100 (4) for Engineering
 Chemistry (SL)              Students may apply to                                        only]. Student may also
                             write a credit by special                                    apply to write a credit
                             assessment examination in                                    by special assessment
                             CHEM 101 (3) [or CHEM                                       examination in MATH 115
                             103 (4.3) for Engineering                                   (3) [or MATH 101 (3.5)
                             only]                                                        for Engineering only]
 Computing Science (HL or    CMPUT 101 (3)                Further Mathematics (SL)       MATH 114 (3) and MATH
 SL) taken prior to 2006                                                                  115 (3) [or MATH 100
 Computing Science (HL)      CMPUT 114 (3) and                                           (4) and MATH 101 (3.5)
 taken 2006 onwards          CMPUT 115 (3)                                               for Engineering only]
 Computing Science (SL)      CMPUT 114 (3)                Mathematics (SL)               Students may apply to
 taken 2006 onwards                                                                       write a credit by special
                                                                                          assessment examination in
 Dance (HL)                  DANCE 100-level (3)                                         MATH 114 (3) [or MATH
                                                                                          100 (4)
 Economics (HL)              ECON 101 (3) and                                            for Engineering only]
                             ECON 102 (3)
                             (not to take ECON 204)        Music (HL)                     MUSIC 102 (3) and
                                                                                          MUSIC 100-level (3)
 English (HL)                ENGL 100-level (6) [or                                      (not to take MUSIC 101)
                             ENGL 100-level (3) and
                             100-level complementary       Philosophy (HL)                PHIL 100-level (3) (not to
                             studies elective (3) for                                    take PHIL 101 or 102)
                             Engineering only]
                                                           Physics (HL)                   PHYS 124 (3) and
 French A or B (HL)          FREN 100-level (3) and                                      PHYS 126 (3)
                             FREN 211 (3) (not to take
                             FREN 111 or FREN 112)         Physics (SL)                   PHYS 124 (3)
                                                           Social Cultural Anthropology   ANTHRO 100-level (3)
 French A or B (SL)          FREN 100-level (6) (not to   (HL)
                             take FREN 111 or 112)
                                                           Spanish A (HL)                 Advanced Placement
 German A or B (HL)          GERM 100-level (3) and
                             GERM 211 (3) (not to take    Theatre Arts (HL)              DRAMA 101 (3)
                             GERM 111 or 112)              Visual Arts (HL)               ART 100-level (3) and
 German A or B (SL)          GERM 100-level (6) (not                                     ART 134(3)
                             to take GERM 111 or 112)      Successful completion of       100-level Open Elective
 Greek (HL)                  GREEK 101 (3) and            all components of the IB       (3)
                             GREEK 102 (3)                Diploma program
 History (HL) (see Note 1)   HIST 100-level (3) (not to
                             take HIST 112 or 113)
 Islamic History (HL)        HIST 100-level (3) (not to
                             take HIST 117)
 Italian (HL)                Advanced Placement
 Japanese A (HL)             Advanced Placement
 Japanese AB                 JAPAN 101 (3) and
                             JAPAN 102 (3)
Advanced standing: AP
Advanced Placement (AP) Applicants (Chart Three)
The U of A appreciates the academic challenge and preparation required of those completing                          Note: Augustana Faculty course equivalents are
Advanced Placement exams. We seek to acknowledge the achievements of AP students                                    available for AP students entering that Faculty (U
through transfer credit and advanced standing (minimum grade of 4 in approved courses –                             of A Calendar Section 16, Admissions Chart 7).
Chart Three), scholarships, and specialized advising. Contact:                             * Refer to Notes on page 50.

Chart Three • Equivalency Chart for AP Courses *
 Advanced Placement          University of Alberta         Advanced Placement           University of Alberta
 Courses                     Equivalents                   Courses                      Equivalents
 Art History                 ART H 101(3) and             Italian Language and         Advanced Placement
                             ART H 102 (3)                Culture
 Art Studio: Drawing         ART 140 (3)                  Japanese Language            JAPAN 201 (3) and
                                                           and Culture                  202 (3)
 Art Studio: 2D Design       ART 134 (3) and
                             DES 135 (3)                  Latin (Literature)           LATIN 100-level (3)
 Art Studio: 3D Design       ART 134 (3) and              Latin (Virgil)               LATIN 100-level (3)
                             DES 135 (3)
                                                           Macroeconomics               ECON 102 (3)
 Biology                     BIOL 100-level (3) (not to
                             take BIOL 107)                Microeconomics               ECON 101 (3)
 Calculus AB                 MATH 113 (3)                 Music Theory                 MUSIC 155 (3)
 Calculus BC                 MATH 113 (3) [or MATH        Physics B                    PHYS 124 (3) and
                             100 (4) for Engineering                                   PHYS 126 (3)
                                                           Physics C: Electricity and   PHYS 124 and 126 (6)
 Chemistry                   Students may apply for        Magnetism/Mechanics          or PHYS 144 (3)
                             Credit by Special
                             Assessment                    Psychology                   PSYCO 100-level (3) (not
                             CHEM 101(3) [or CHEM                                      to take PSYCO 104 or 105)
                             103 (4.3) for Engineering
                             only]                         Spanish Language             Advanced Placement
 Chinese Language and        CHINA 200-level (3)          Spanish Literature           Advanced Placement
                                                           Statistics                   STAT 151 (3)
 Computer Science A          CMPUT 114 (3) or
                             CMPUT 174 (3)                United States History        HIST 100-level (6)
 Computer Science AB         CMPUT 114 and 115
                             (6) or
                             CMPUT 174 and 175 (6)
 English (Language and       ENGL 100-level (3) for
 Composition or Literature   Engineering Students only
 and Composition)
 English (Literature and     Advanced Placement
 Composition)                (English) for non-
                             Engineering students
 French Language             Advanced Placement
 French Literature           Advanced Placement
 German Language             Advanced Placement
 Comparative Government      Advanced Placement
 & Politics
 Government & Politics:      Advanced Placement
 United States

Application Deadlines Document Deadlines
Fall/Winter (September entry)                                                              Fall/Winter (September entry)
Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1                  The document deadlines for most U of A programs are:
Arts                                                                                       High school applicants. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 1
   BA (Criminology) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1        Postsecondary/transfer applicants . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 15
   All other programs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1
Augustana . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1      The following programs have different deadlines or require additional
Business . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1       documentation:
Education                                                                                        Arts
   BEd and BEd After Degree . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .March 1                     BA (Criminology) – references, résumé
   BEd (Adult Education Route) . . . . . . . . . . . . .contact department                               and written statement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1
   Diploma in Education . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 1                       transcripts and interview . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 1
Engineering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1                BFA (Art and Design) and BDesign
Law       . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1                   portfolio submission . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1
Medicine & Dentistry                                                                                 BFA (Drama) in Acting – audition application . . . . January 11
   BSc (Dental Hygiene Specialization)                                                               BFA (Drama) in Theatre Design
    Post-Diploma Degree Completion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1                                references, portfolio submission . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 1
   Dental Hygiene Diploma . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1                       BFA (Technical Theatre)
   Dentistry . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1                      letter of intent, references, interview, and résumé . . April 1
   Medical Laboratory Science . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1                        BMus and BMus/BEd – audition application . . . . . . . . May 1
   Medicine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1             Augustana
Native Studies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1                 All applicants – residency application . . . . . . . . . . . August 1
Nursing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 1               BA (Music Major or Minor) – interview . . . . . . . . . . April 15
Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1                               BSc (Music Minor) – interview . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 15
Physical Education & Recreation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1                        BMus – audition . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 15
Campus Saint-Jean                                                                          Education (Diploma) – all documents . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 1
   Bilingual BCom and BEd (Elementary, Secondary) . . . . . . . March 1                    Law – all documents . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 1
   BSc Nursing (Bilingual) apply to Faculty of Nursing . . . . . February 1                Medicine & Dentistry
   All other programs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1          Dentistry – Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) . . . . . . . . . . . . January 15
Science . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1      Medical Laboratory Science – letter of intent . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1
Open Studies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 31           Dentistry and Diploma in Dental Hygiene--
                                                                                                All previously completed course work and
Winter Term (January entry)                                                                     course registration of current year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1
Refer to U of A Calendar at                                                                     Fall term final grades and Winter Term
WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/CALENDAR                                                              registration of current year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 1
                                                                                             Medicine – Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT),
Spring/Summer Terms (May entry)                                                                 interview and letters of reference,
Refer to U of A Calendar at                                                                     all previously completed course work,
WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/CALENDAR                                                              and course registration of current year . . . . . . . . . November 1
                                                                                                Fall Term final grades and Winter Term registration
Summer Term (July entry)                                                                        of current year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 1
Refer to U of A Calendar at                                                                Pharmacy – letter of intent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .March 1
WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/CALENDAR                                                         Open Studies Consult U of A Calendar §12.7

                                                                                           Winter Term (January entry)
                                                                                           Refer to U of A Calendar at
The academic year is divided into four terms.
                                                                                           Spring/Summer Terms (May entry)
          Fall Term                  September to December                                 Refer to U of A Calendar at
          Winter Term                January to April                                      WWW.REGISTRAR.UALBERTA.CA/CALENDAR
          Spring Term                May to mid-June                                       Summer Term (July entry)
          Summer Term                July to mid-August
                                                                                           Refer to U of A Calendar at
The majority of undergraduate programs accept applications for
the Fall Term only, but there are several programs that can admit
in Winter or Spring. Complete details on deadlines and application                            Do not wait until the deadline to send your
procedures can be found on our website at                                                      documents. The earlier we recieve your documents,
                                                                                            the earlier we can consider you for admission.
    Cost of Living
                                                                    8 months               12 months
                                                                    Based on 30 credits    Based on 30 credits
                                                                    in 8 months (CAD)      in 12 months (CAD)

                           $          Tuition & Fees1               $ 19,230               $ 19,230

                                      Accommodation                 $2,800 - $5,300        $4,800 - $7,900

                                      (PRIVATE APARTMENT)
                                                                    $5,600 - $8,000        $8,300 - $12,000

                                      Food                           $2,160                $3,240

                                      Clothing                      $400                   $600

                                      Bus Pass4                     $0                     $297

                                      Books and                     $1000                  $1000

                           ?          Miscellaneous                 $1,480                 $2,220

                                      TOTAL (CAD)                   $27,070                $31,387

                                      TOTAL (USD)2                  $25,254                $29,281

1. Tuition estimate is based on 2010/11 rates assessed to undergraduate students in Arts or Science and are
   subject to change. For most updated rates, visit
2. 1 Canadian dollar= $0.9329 US dollars (average exchange rate from May 2009 to May 2010,
3. For undergraduate student residences that range from dormitory-style rooms to four-bedroom, shared
4. A student bus pass for September to April is included in U of A’s non-instructional fees. From May to August,
   students may purchase a bus pass for $74.25 per month.

                                                                           You don’t have to make the final
                                                                         decision about your major and minor
   You can get advanced standing
                                                                                     right away.
 or transfer credit if you successfully
complete certain high school courses.                                       U of A offers 200+ undergraduate programs so you
                                                                             have great flexibility to tailor your degree to your
U of A can offer you transfer credit, advanced placement, or              interests. In some programs, you can enroll in a Faculty
     the opportunity for credit by special assessment if                    but wait up to your third year to declare your major
   you have demonstrated excellence in specific subject                                   and minor areas of study.
         areas under the British, IB, and AP curricula.

      You can apply now and then send
           your documents later.

                                                                                     Did you
 To start the application process, you just need to complete the
 Application for Undergraduate Studies form and submit it. The
  application deadline for most direct entry programs is May 1,

                 but there are some exceptions.

        Documents have a later deadline, (August 1 for
  most programs) so you can send them later on, although you
   should try to send them as soon as possible to get a faster
                      admissions decision.

                                            U of A accepts many different
                                               international curricula.
                                        In addition to IB, AP, British, and US-style curricula,
                                         U of A accepts many local high school curricula
                                       from around the world. Consult our website to see
                                         which curricula are accepted from your country.                You can complete your pre-
                                                    professional year at U of A.
                                                     equivalencies.cfm                                  Most undergraduate programs can
                                                                                                       be entered directly from high school,
                                                                                                       but some require at least one year of
                                                                                                       pre-professional study before you can
                                                                                                        apply. (You can complete your pre-
                                                                                                           professional studies at U of A).

                                                     You can track the progress of your
                                                            application online.
                                                        When you submit your application to study at
                                                     U of A, you will receive an ID and login for Beartracks,
                                                          our online system where you can track your
                                                      application status. Eventually, you can also use it to
                                                                    register for your courses.


Undergraduate Application for                                                      PDF Instructions
                                                                                   If you are completing the online Portable Document Format (PDF) form on your
                                                                                   computer, you can type directly into the fields. Use the TAB key to go to the next
                                                                                   field. Print the application form and review.

Readmission or                                                                     Information for Students with Disabilities
Internal Transfer                                                                  For information about services for students with disabilities or serious
                                                                                   health conditions please contact Specialized Support and Disability Services at

Online Services                                                                    Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery
Apply online and pay your application fee by credit                                and Dental Hygiene Diploma applicants:
card at                                       Do not use this form. Use the online application at
• It’s secure, faster, and provides immediate acknowledgement of         
  receipt of your online submission.
• You will also receive an e-mail within 24 business hours providing               Campus Saint-Jean applicants
  online access to Bear Tracks where you can track your application status.
                                                                                   Use the Campus Saint-Jean demande d’admission, et de réadmission ou de
                                                                                   transfert interne PDF form available at or
Application Fees                                                                   Campus Saint-Jean.

The University of Alberta (U of A) will not
accept any application not accompanied by the                                      Checklist
                                                                                      Refer to our website for information on admission requirements and deadlines.
appropriate application fee.                                                          (
• If you have never attended the U of A, including Augustana Campus, or
  Augustana University College (AUC), your nonrefundable application                  Provide your U of A Student ID Number if you have previously attended the U of A.
  fee is $115.
• If you have attended the U of A, including Augustana Campus or AUC,                 Ensure that you have completed all sections of the form.
  your nonrefundable application fee is $75.
                                                                                      Review all sections of the application form.

U of A Electronic Communications Policy                                               Read the ApplyAlberta Transcript Authorization and sign as required.
Check out the benefits and applicant/student responsibilities at                                             Read the declaration, sign and date your application.

Protecting Your Information                                                           Enclose your application fee.

The personal information requested on this form is collected under the                Mail application to:
authority of the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act and the Alberta Freedom
of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for authorized purposes including        Administration Building
admission and registration; administration of student records; consideration          University of Alberta
for scholarships and awards; and provision of student services. Personal              Edmonton, AB,
information may be disclosed to academic and administrative units according to        Canada T6G 2M7
University policy; alumni relations and fundraising upon graduation; university
planning and research in accordance with federal and provincial legislated            Fax application to:
reporting requirements; information sharing agreements; and to contracted             780-492-7172
service providers as required. For further information on the use and disclosure
of personal information please refer to §23.9.1 of the University of Alberta
Calendar, the information at or call the Office of the
Registrar and Student Awards at 780-492-3113.

 2 | Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer

                        Print your Name

 2                      Former or Current U of A Student Status                          Have you ever registered or taken courses at the University of Alberta?
  previous applicants


                                                                                         If yes, provide your seven digit U of A Student ID:
                                                                                           U of A Student ID

  3                     Start Date Status
                        Many programs admit students only in September, so be sure to
                        check application and document deadlines at:
                                                                                         When do you wish to begin attending?
                                                                                           Fall/Winter (September-April)
intended status

                                                Spring/Summer (May-August)                                    M M Y       Y    Y   Y

                        Student Status                                                       Degree or Diploma Student
                                                                                             Students working toward a degree or diploma.
                                                                                             Special Student
                                                                                             Students applying for admission to a Faculty to take course(s) for
                                                                                             credit, but not working toward a degree. Most Special Students will have a
                                                                                             degree and/or wish to take courses for professional development.
                                                                                             Visiting Student
                                                                                             Students applying for admission to a Faculty to take course(s) for credit
                                                                                             toward a degree from another institution. A “Letter of Permission” from the
                                                                                             other institution is required.
                                                                                             Open Studies
                                                                                             Part-time students taking courses for credit without following a degree or
                                                                                             diploma program.

  4                     Provide your Legal Name
                        You must use your legal name as shown on one of the
                        following documents: Birth Certificate, Passport, Canadian
                                                                                          Legal Last Name
personal information

                                                                                          Legal First Name and Middle Name(s) (Do not use initials)
                        Immigration Record of Permanent Resident, Canadian
                        Immigration Student Authorization document or Marriage
                        Certificate. The name you enter is the one that will appear        Former Name (if different from above)
                        on your University record and on your degree or diploma
                        parchment upon graduation.
                                                                                          Date of Birth                                       Canadian Social Insurance Number (optional)
                        It is very important that you let us know immediately if you                                              male
                        change your personal information, including name, address,       M M D D Y Y Y Y                          female
                        emergency contact or citizenship. Refer to our website at:        Place of Birth (Country, City)

                                                                                          Country of Citizenship                           First Language

                                                                                        Office use only
                                                                                        Place Receipt Stamp here

                                                                                                                  Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer | 3

 4                              Mailing Addresses
                                Correspondence Addresses: Your mailing address will be used for
                                printed correspondence from the University.
                                                                                                       Street Address, Apartment Number, Box Number
personal information (cont’d)

                                The U of A uses electronic communications with its applicants and
                                students in lieu of many paper-based processes. Currently this most
                                often includes information by e-mail or via website.                   City or Town and Province

                                Your personal e-mail address will be used to communicate
                                to you until you are assigned a University of Alberta e-mail           Country                                                        Postal Code
                                account. Subsequent communications will be sent to your
                                U of A e-mail address. It is your responsibility to check your
                                U of A e-mail frequently.                                              (Area Code) Home Telephone                          (Area Code) Business/Cell Phone Number

                                See the U of A Electronic Communications Policy:
                                                    E-mail Address

                                Hometown                                                               City or Town

                                Where do you consider your hometown to be if it is different from
                                the address above?                                                     Province

                                                                                                       Country                                                         Postal Code

                                                                                                       Name                                                           Relationship
                                Emergency Contact

                                                                                                       (Area Code) Home Telephone                         (Area Code) Business/Cell Phone Number

                                Citizenship Status in Canada (check one only)                            Canadian Citizen                   Permanent Resident
                                                                                                                                              Effective Date
                                Proof may be required.
                                                                                                                                            M M D D Y Y Y Y

                                                                                                         You have or will be                Other (specify below)
                                                                                                         applying for a Study

                                Resident of Alberta                                                   Are you a resident of Alberta?
                                You may qualify as an Alberta resident if you are a Canadian               Yes
                                Citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) and you have
                                continuously lived in Alberta, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon        No
                                Territory or Nunavut for at least one year immediately prior to
                                the first day of classes of the term to which you are applying.        If yes, give month and year you began continuous residency,
                                The one-year residence period shall not be considered broken          even if it is your birth date.
                                if the Admissions Committee is satisfied that the applicant was
                                temporarily out of Alberta on vacation, in short-term employment,
                                                                                                      M M Y Y Y Y
                                or as a full-time student.

                                Canadian Aboriginal Applicants only                                   Do you wish to declare that you are of Aboriginal ancestry within the meaning
                                                                                                      of the Canadian Constitution Act of 1982?
                                The Aboriginal Student Services Centre (ASSC) offers services and
                                cultural events that may be of interest to you. By declaring your          Yes
                                status, you will help in the development of new services and events
                                for Aboriginal students. For this purpose, and in order to improve    If yes, please specify:
                                the assessment of the educational achievement of Aboriginal
                                Learners, we ask you to declare if you are of Aboriginal ancestry        I am Status Indian/First Nations              I am Non-status Indian/First Nations
                                within the meaning of the Canadian Constitution Act of 1982.
                                Please note that some programs require proof of Aboriginal Status        I am Métis                                    I am Inuit
                                for admission purposes. Refer to §14.1 of the University of Alberta
                                Calendar at
 4 | Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer

                    Academic Programs
                    Read the notes below before completing the Program Selection part of this form. When selecting a program, provide all of the details requested
                    for each selection, such as Specialization, Honours (if applicable), majors, and minors. For information about program selection, go to Page 8 of
academic programs

                    this Application, or the following website:

                         New Applicants to the U of A                                                   Augustana Applicants
                         New applicants to the U of A may enter three program choices.                  If you wish to take courses at Augustana Campus, located in
                         Your eligibility for admission will be considered in order of the              Camrose, Alberta, select Augustana as your Faculty of choice. For
                         program preferences you enter below. If you are not eligible for               more information about Augustana Campus programs, go to
                         your first choice, you will be considered for your second and/        
                         or third choice. It is recommended that you enter three program
                         choices, since this will increase the chances of you being considered          Campus Saint-Jean Applicants
                         for admission.
                                                                                                        If you wish to take courses at Campus Saint-Jean, select Saint-Jean
                         Current and Previous U of A Students:                                          as your Faculty of choice. For more information about programs at
                         Students who are currently attending the U of A, or have                       Campus Saint-Jean, go to
                         previously attended the U of A, enter only one program choice per
                         application. An application, and an application fee, is required for           Physical Education (BPE/BEd) and
                         each program choice.                                                           Arts (BMus/BEd) Applicants
                                                                                                        Applicants must enter a Route: Elementary or Secondary

                    Program Choices (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

                               Faculty                      Program                     Specialization/Honors/          Major                          Minor




                    Additional Program Details for Applicants to:
                    Education                                                                    Are you applying to a collaborative off-campus program? If so, indicate location.
                                                                                                    ATEP              GPRC           Keyano         MHC           Red Deer

                    Engineering                                                                  Will you be taking first-year courses in French at Faculte Saint-Jean?

                    Nursing                                                                      Are you applying to a collaborative off-campus program? If so, indicate location
                                                                                                    GPRC              Red Deer       Keyano         After Degree (Camrose)

                    Physical Education                                                           Are you applying from a Physical Education program at an off-campus location? If
                                                                                                 so, indicate location.
                                                                                                     GMU                GPRC       Red Deer

                                                                                                                       Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer | 5
                                 Complete all sections (A-I) where applicable. Attach additional sheet if necessary.

  6                              A complete listing of secondary and postsecondary education is required. If you attend any institution after having completed this
                                 form, notify the Office of the Registrar and Student Awards immediately in writing or by fax.
previous and current education

                                 (A) English Language Proficiency
                                                                                                            State the number of full-time years of formal education you have                Years
                                                                                                            had at an institution where the primary language of instruction
                                                                                                            was English, excluding ESL courses.

                                 (B) IB/AP                                                                  If you have written or will write any International Baccalaureate or
                                                                                                            Advanced Placement (College Board) examinations, indicate program.
                                                                                                                Full IB               Partial IB                 AP                     Not Applicable

                                 (C) Alberta Student Number                                                 If you attended a school in Alberta you must provide your Alberta Student
                                                                                                            Number (ASN). Obtain your ASN from Alberta Education at
                                                                                                             Alberta Student Number

                                 (D) Secondary Education (High School)
                                 List all schools attended, Grade 10 through to Grade 12 (or equivalent).
                                 Province (Country, if outside Canada)   Name of Institution                  From                           To                           Language of Instruction

                                                                                                              M M Y        Y    Y      Y M M Y             Y    Y     Y

                                                                                                              M M Y        Y    Y      Y M M Y             Y    Y     Y

                                                                                                              M M Y        Y    Y      Y M M Y             Y    Y     Y

                                                                                                              M M Y        Y    Y      Y M M Y             Y    Y     Y

                                                                                                              M M Y        Y    Y      Y M M Y             Y    Y     Y

                                 (E) Applicants Currently Attending High School                               Course                       Interim Final       Course                     Interim Final
                                 List all Grade 12 (or equivalent) courses and levels (e.g., Pure
                                 Math 30, ELA 30-1), including those in progress and any grades
                                 received to date.
                                 The courses and grades you provide on the application will be
                                 used to consider you for Early Admission before final grades
                                 are available. A major advantage of Early Admission is that you
                                 will be eligible to register in courses before your final grades are
                                 available. Indicate all Grade 12 (or equivalent) courses completed
                                 and in progress as well as any final or interim marks you may have
                                 at the time of application. Be sure to indicate which courses you
                                 will be taking in the second semester.
                                 International High School Applicants
                                 If you are completing a high school curriculum outside
                                 of Canada, you will be asked to submit documentation
                                 from your high school in order to be considered for Early

    6 | Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer

                                          (F) Previous and Current Postsecondary Education
                                          List all previous and current postsecondary institutions attended           The withholding of requested information in regard to this
                                          including the U of A.                                                       application is a serious offence and may result in prosecution
previous and current education (cont’d)

                                          Be certain to include all institutions, regardless of the length of         under the University’s Codes of Behaviour. See Section 8 —
                                          attendance, whether or not courses were completed, or whether               Declaration.
                                          or not you believe the record will have a bearing on admission or           If you attend any institution after submitting this application, notify
                                          transfer credit.                                                            the Office of the Registrar and Student Awards in writing or by e-mail

                                           Province (Country, if outside Canada)   Name of Institution                   From                       To                            Language of Instruction

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y

                                                                                                                        M M Y          Y    Y    Y M M Y           Y   Y     Y
                                          Attach additional pages if needed.

                                          (G) Will you have a university degree by the time                             Yes                 No
                                          you wish to begin attendance here?
                                                                                                                    If yes, specify institution, degree, and date received.
                                                                                                                      Name of Institution

                                                                                                                      Degree                                                      Date

                                                                                                                                                                                  M      M   Y   Y     Y      Y

                                          (H) Have you ever been required to withdraw for                               Yes                 No
                                          academic or disciplinary reasons from a program
                                          at any postsecondary educational institution?                             If yes, specify institution, city, and date.
                                                                                                                      Name of Institution

                                                                                                                      City                                                        Date

                                                                                                                                                                                  M      M   Y   Y     Y      Y

                                          (I) Educational and English Language                                        Name of Test                                         Date                       Score
                                          Proficiency Tests                                                                                                             M M Y             Y Y     Y
                                          e.g., CAEL, IELTS, LSAT, MELAB, SAT, TOEFL, TSE
                                                                                                                      Name of Test                                         Date                       Score
                                          If applicable, enter the name and date of last writing or date if it is
                                          to be written. Use separate sheet if necessary.                                                                              M M Y             Y Y     Y

                                                                                                                      Name of Test                                         Date                       Score
                                                                                                                                                                       M M Y             Y Y     Y

                                                                                                                     LSAC number

                                          Law Applicants please enter your LSAC number if available.

                                                                                                   Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer | 7

                ApplyAlberta Transcript Authorization                               “I understand that transcripts from institutions I have attended are
                                                                                    normally required to support my application for admission to the
                Through ApplyAlberta, the University of Alberta is able
                to obtain high school transcripts from Alberta Education            University of Alberta.

                and transcripts from certain participating ApplyAlberta             “I hereby authorize the University of Alberta to obtain transcripts from
                postsecondary institutions on behalf of applicants. Applicants      certain participating ApplyAlberta institutions on my behalf, where
                do not have to pay for transcripts obtained through this service.   required, and further, I authorize the University to obtain or verify my
                To authorize the University of Alberta to obtain your transcripts   Alberta Student Number, as required.”
                from participating ApplyAlberta institutions where required,
                please sign the transcript authorization and provide your
                Alberta Student Number (ASN) in Section 6C above.                    Applicant’s Signature

                Unless otherwise indicated in Bear Tracks (our online                X
                student self-service), you are responsible for requesting
                all required transcripts to be sent directly from the
                issuing institutions you attended.
                For more information on ApplyAlberta, and our integration
                go to

  8             Declaration                                                         “I certify that the information in this application is true and complete
                                                                                    in all respects and that I have withheld no information. I understand
                Your application must be complete and accurate in all details
                before you sign the form. This application becomes a legal

                document which presumes responsibility on the part of the           of requested information regarding this application are serious
                prospective student and the University of Alberta.                  offences and may result in prosecution under the University’s Codes
                                                                                    of Behaviour and/or the Criminal Code of Canada. By this declaration

                                                                                    or misrepresentation to other postsecondary institutions. I agree, if
                                                                                    admitted to the University of Alberta, to comply with the University
                                                                                    regulations as stated in the University of Alberta Calendar.”

                                                                                     Date of Application

                                                                                     Applicant’s Signature


                Application Fees                                                                           If you have never attended the U of A, including Augustana Campus
                The University of Alberta strictly enforces its policy                 $115                or Augustana University College (AUC)
                of withholding processing of applications until the                                            Enclosed is my $115 nonrefundable application fee.

                appropriate nonrefundable application fee has been
                received.                                                                                  If you have attended the U of A, including Augustana Campus
                                                                                        $75                or Augustana University College (AUC)
                                                                                                               Enclosed is my $75 nonrefundable application fee.
                                                                                    Payment Options
                                                                                       cheque or money order                                 credit card
                                                                                       Make cheques payable to the                           (Mastercard or Visa only)
                                                                                       University of Alberta.
                                                                                       Do not send cash.

                                                                                     Credit Card Holder’s Name (as it appears on the card)

                                                                                     Credit Card Number                                                    Expiry Date
                                                                                                                                                           M M Y Y Y Y
                                                                                     Card Holder’s Signature
                Office Use Only (ID)

8 | Application for Admission, Readmission or Internal Transfer

 Academic Program Listing
Faculty of Agricultural,                        Faculty of Business                               Faculty of Native                                Faculty of Science
Life and Environmental                          Program                                           Studies                                          Program
Sciences                                         BCom: 1 + 3 years                                Program                                           BSc (General): 4 years
Program                                          BCom After Degree: 2 years                        BA (Native Studies): 4 years                     BSc (General – Business Minor): 4 years
 BA (Environmental Studies): 4 years             BCom Cooperative Education: 1 + 3.5 to            BA (Native Studies) Honors: 4 years              BSc (Honors): 4 years
 BSc (Agricultural/Food Business                   4 years                                         BA (Native Studies) After Degree: 2 years        BSc (Specialization): 4 years
   Management): 1 + 3 years                                                                        BA (Native Studies)/BEd (Elementary,
                                                 BCom (Bilingual): 2 years Campus Saint-Jean                                                        BSc (Specialization in Science)/BEd
 BSc (Agriculture): 4 years                        + 2 years Business                                Secondary) Combined: 3 years Native              (Secondary) Combined: 2 years Science +
 BSc (Animal Health): 4 years                    BCom (Honors): 2 + 2 years                          Studies + 2 years Education                      3 years Education
 BSc (Environmental and Conservation             For applicable majors see the UofA Calendar       BSc (Environmental and Conservation              BSc Industrial Internship Program: 5 years
   Sciences): 4 years                              at             Sciences)/BA (Native Studies)                    (Specialization and Honors)
 BSc (Environmental and Conservation                                                                 Combined: 5 years                              For applicable majors or minors see the UofA
   Sciences)/BA (Native Studies) Combined:                                                         For applicable majors or minors see the UofA       Calendar at
   5 years                                                                                           Calendar at           calendar
                                                Faculty of Education                                 calendar
 BSc (Environmental and Conservation
   Sciences – Bilingual):                       Program
   2 years Campus Saint-Jean +                   BEd (Elementary, Secondary): 1 + 3 years                                                          Open Studies
   2 years Agricultural, Life and                BEd After Degree: 2 years                        Faculty of Nursing                                Open Studies students do not compete for
   Environmental Sciences                        BA: (Drama)/BEd (Secondary) Combined:                                                               places in degree or diploma programs. For
 BSc (Forest Business Management):                 3 years Arts + 2 years Education                                                                  information on programs of study available
                                                                                                   BSc (Nursing): Collaborative Program: 4 years
   1 + 3 years                                   BA (Native Studies)/BEd (Elementary,                                                                through Open Studies, see:
                                                                                                   BSc (Nursing): Bilingual: 4 years
 BSc (Forestry): 4 years                           Secondary) Combined: 3 years Native                                                    
                                                   Studies + 2 years Education                     BSc (Nursing Honors): 1 + 3 years
 BSc (Human Ecology): 4 years
                                                 BSc (Specialization in Science)/BEd               BSc (Nursing) After Degree: 2 years +
 BSc (Human Ecology)/BEd (Secondary)
                                                   (Secondary) Combined: 2 years Science +           2 Spring Terms + 1 Summer Term
   Combined: 3 years Agricultural, Life
   and Environmental Sciences + 2 years            3 years Education                               BSc (Nursing) Post RN: 1 year + 1 Spring
   Education                                     BSc (Human Ecology)/BEd (Secondary)                 Term
 BSc Nutrition and Food Science: 4 years           Combined: 3 years Agricultural, Life            Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) to BScN
                                                   and Environmental Sciences + 2 years              Program: 2 years + 1 Spring/Summer Term
 Pre-Veterinary Medicine: 2 years
 For applicable majors or minors see the UofA
   Calendar at        BPE/BEd (Elementary, Secondary) Combined:
   calendar                                        3 years Physical Education + 2 years           Faculty of Pharmacy and
                                                   Education (see Physical Education and          Pharmaceutical Sciences
                                                 BMus/BEd (Elementary, Secondary)                 Program
Faculty of Arts                                    Combined: 3 years Arts + 2 years                BSc (Pharmacy): 1 + 4 years
Program                                            Education
 BA: 4 years                                     BEd (Elementary) Collaboratives with
 BA: (Drama)/BEd (Secondary) Combined:             Aboriginal Teacher Education programs,         Faculty of Physical
   3 years Arts + 2 years Education                Grande Prairie, Medicine Hat, Keyano and       Education and
 BA (After Degree): 2 years
                                                   Red Deer: 2 years + 2 years                    Recreation
                                                 Diploma in of the Faculty of Education: 1 year
 BA (Criminology): 1 + 3 years                                                                    Program
                                                 For additional programs of study and
 BA (Environmental Studies): 4 years                                                               BA (Recreation, Sport and Tourism): 4 years
                                                   applicable majors or minors see the UofA
 BA (Honors): 1 + 3 years                          Calendar at          BPE: 4 years
 BDesign: 4 years                                  calendar                                        BPE/BEd (Elementary, Secondary) Combined:
 BFA (Art and Design): 4 years                                                                       3 years Physical Education + 2 years
 BFA (Drama – Acting only): 1 + 3 years
 BFA (Drama – Design, Technical Theatre):       Faculty of Engineering                             BSc (Kinesiology): 4 years
   4 years                                                                                         For applicable majors see the UofA Calendar
                                                Program                                              at
 BMus: 4 years                                   BSc (Engineering): 4 years
 BMus/BEd Combined: 3 years Arts + 2 years       BSc (Engineering): Cooperative Education:
   Education                                       5 years
                                                                                                  Campus Saint-Jean
 For applicable majors or minors see the UofA    For additional programs of study and
   Calendar at          applicable majors see the UofA Calendar at     Program
   calendar                                            BA: 4 years
                                                                                                   BA (After Degree): 2 years
                                                                                                   BA (Honors): 1 + 3 years
Augustana Campus                                Faculty of Law                                     BCom (Bilingual): 2 years Campus Saint-Jean
Program                                         Program                                              + 2 years Business
 BA: 4 years                                     LLB: 3 years, after at least 2 preprofessional    BSc (Nursing) Bilingual: 4 years (Apply
 BMgt in Business Economics: 4 years               years                                             through Nursing)
 BMus: 4 years                                                                                     BSc (Environmental and Conservation
                                                                                                     Sciences - Bilingual):
 BSc: 4 years                                                                                        2 years Campus Saint-Jean + 2 years
 For applicable majors or minors see the UofA
                                                Faculty of Medicine
                                                                                                     Agricultural, Life and Environmental
   Calendar at       and Dentistry                                        Sciences
   calendar                                     Program                                            BEd After Degree: 2 years
                                                 BSc (Medical Laboratory Science): 1 + 3           BEd (Elementary, Secondary): 1 + 3 years
                                                                                                   BEd/BSc Combined: 1 + 4 years
                                                 BSc (Medical Laboratory Science):
                                                                                                   BSc: 4 years
                                                   Post professional certificate
                                                                                                   Diploma in Education: 1 year
                                                 BSc (Dental Hygiene Specialization):
                                                   Post diploma degree completion – 1 year         For applicable majors or minors see the UofA
                                                                                                     Calendar at
                                                 Dental Hygiene Diploma*: 1 + 2 years
                                                 DDS*: at least 2 + 4 years
                                                 MD*: at least 2 + 4 years
                                                 *Use online application only.
                                                                                                                                                                                      UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE VIEWBOOK 2011-2012
                                     Moscow                                                                                        Edmonton
London              Berlin
                                                                                                                                   Vancouver             Montreal
                                                           Beijing                                                                                             New York
                               Istanbul                                  Seoul                                                              Washington D.C.
                                                                                 Tokyo                                        Los Angeles

                       Cairo                      Delhi            Shanghai
                                          Dubai                                                                                                            Miami
                                                                Hong Kong                                                                       Mexico City
                                                          Kuala Lumpur
                                                                                                     ALBERTA                                    San Jose           Caracas

                       Nairobi                             Singapore


                                                                                                                                                                          Sao Paulo


                       Cape Town                                                                                                                      Santiago
                                                                      Melbourne                      US/CANADA BORDER

                                                                                                                We’re here to help...
                                                                                                               University of Alberta International
                                                                                                                                International Relations and Recruitment

                                                                                                                                               3-600 Enterprise Square
                                                                                                                              10230 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta
                                                                                                                                                        T5J 4P6 Canada
                                                                                                                              phone: (780) 492-4094 fax: (780) 492-1488


To top