Empty Homes Fact Sheet 3 - A leaflet for neighbours by gdf57j


									     For further advice or information please visit our
     website at www.bradford.gov.uk/housing or call

                The Regeneration Team

                           01274 434742
                                                                               EMPTY HOMES
Department of Regeneration and Culture,
Housing Service,
1st Floor North Wing,                                                          FACT SHEET 3
Jacobs Well,
BD1 5RW.                                                                   A LEAFLET FOR NEIGHBOURS
                                                                       An empty Property can be very
Leaflets in this series:

    1)       Introduction
                                                                        distressing for neighbours.
    2)       How to secure and prevent damage to your empty property
    3)       A leaflet for neighbours
    4)       Last Resorts
    5)       Empty Homes Advisors
    6)       Becoming a landlord
    7)       Tax incentives to reoccupy your property
    8)       Loans
    9)       Legal Advice
    10)      Overcrowding Programme – Assistance Scheme
    11)      Renovation

This leaflet is intended to help you to understand how your complaint        How we will handle your enquiry
regarding an empty property will be handled and what you can do.
                                                                             If the empty property is insecure or causing a nuisance, the officer will visit
The Regeneration Team within the Housing Service at Bradford Council         and start enforcement action to address this problem (in co-operation with
work with the owners of empty properties using a number of measures to       the owner where possible). Any other issues will also be referred to the
help bring them back into use - in some cases enforcement action is          appropriate Council Service or agency.
                                                                             Also during the visit, the officer will risk assess the property based on the
We do only deal with residential property and cannot handle enquiries        length of time it has been empty, the type of property, it’s condition and
relating to long term empty commercial property.                             any nuisance being caused. It will be scored and placed in a priority order
                                                                             based on this assessment.
What happens when I contact the Council?
                                                                             Whilst this Service attempts to work with owners to bring empty properties
       Your enquiry/complaint will be logged and allocated to an officer
       within the Regeneration Team.                                         back into use, it is not an offence to leave a property unoccupied. The
                                                                             Council only take enforcement action as a last resort where the property is
       The officers investigate all legitimate enquiries relating to empty   causing nuisance or blight to an area.
       properties in the Bradford District.
                                                                             If enforcement action is not appropriate we have Empty Homes Advisers
       We will not disclose your details to a third party.
                                                                             who will attempt to make contact with the owner to create an “Empty
       We aim to make an initial response to enquiries within 3 working      Home Action Plan” to get the property occupied.
                                                                             There are other agencies and Departments who can help with associated
       When contacting this Service to make an enquiry, try to give as       problems or issues that you may wish to consider contacting. These
       many details as possible, including:                                  include the Police (0800 6060606), Yorkshire Water (0845 1242424), Pest
             The full address of the empty property and name of the          Control 01274 433926, Neighbourhood Wardens (01274 431000
             owner, if known.                                                email: wardens@bradford.gov.uk) or your local Councillor with your
             Details of the problem/nuisance caused by the empty             concerns.

        The more information we have, the more we can do to help.

To top