ABOUT ABBIES DRIVING SCHOOL CONTACT US
Our driving school has been established for over 50 years, teach- ABBIES DRIVING SCHOOL
ing people from the east London and Essex areas to drive. We 2a, Balaam Street, Plaistow, London, E13 8AQ
have a team of over 20 instructors, many of who are multi-lin- Telephone: 020 7474 9222
gual helping a multi-cultural society to get on the road. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We have both male and female instructors who understand the
needs of a changing society. Skillfully and patiently, they teach AREAS WE COVER
people to become confident and safe drivers. EAST LONDON AND ESSEX
We cover the whole of east London as well as Ilford, Barking,
For those thinking of changing their career, we offer driving Dagenham, Romford, Chadwell Heath. View the map below.
instructor training. We have developed a course designed to train
the next generation of driving instructors to teach in a friendly
yet effective manner.
SO YOU WANT TO LEARN TO DRIVE your practical test. As there is usually a long waiting list, it is
What Do I Do Next ? best to book a date and have it as a deadline to work towards.
Follow our easy step by step simplified guide to become a fully
qualified driver. 5) Carry on with lessons towards the test date. We cannot stress
enough the importance of taking regular lessons. Once you get
1) Provisional licence. You need to fill in the D1 Form which can into a routine of lessons with your instructor, stick to it. If you
be obtained from any Post Office branch or from our office. stop and start your lessons you will forget what you have learned
and therefore end up taking more lessons than you need to.
2) Start driving lessons. As this takes the longest time it is best
to get going straight away. 6) It is inevitable, but on the big day try not to get too nervous.
As long as you have been taking regular lessons and your
3) Train for and pass the theory test. We provide free theory test instructor is happy with your progress, you stand every chance
tuition to all our pupils. You will receive hints and tips for your of passing.
hazard perception as well as the multiple choice element of the
theory test in our office. Just ring us on 020 7474 9222 to book After passing your driving test, you can complete the optional
a convenient time. PASS PLUS course. We recommend this course as it will make
you a much safer, confident driver. Not only that; but you'll also
4) Book the practical test. Once you have made progress with save money when it comes to getting your car insured. Most
your driving lessons, speak to your instructor about booking insurance companies will give you a discount of up to 40%!!!
MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC LESSONS? • 10 x 1 hour driving lessons: £210.00 (save £10.00)
WHICH ONE IS BETTER? • 15 x 1 hour driving lessons: £310.00 (save £20.00)
We recommend the manual car for most people, as once you’ve • 20 x 1 hour driving lessons: £410.00 (save £30.00)
passed your driving test you can drive both manual and auto- • 25 x 1 hour driving lessons: £500.00 (save £50.00)
matic cars. Although it’s more difficult than the automatic, the • 30 x 1 hour driving lessons: £600.00 (save £60.00)
vast majority of people get to grips with it and pass their test.
However, for those who find the manual car too difficult to learn • Theory Test Fee: £21.00
in or because of injury are unable to take manual lessons can still • Practice Test Fee: £45.50
go for the automatic car. As it’s easier, due to the fact that there • Provisional Licence: £38.00
are only two pedals as a pose to three on a manual car, you may • We now book theory and practical tests for you, subject to a
end up taking fewer lessons. Of course, everyone is different in £5.00 admin charge. Ring 020 7474 9200 for more details.
how quickly they progress; but one thing you can be sure of is
that whichever option you take, the instructor assigned to you Hire of car for day of test: £65.00
will do their best to get you through your test and make you a • Local test centres: Barking, Goodmayes, Wanstead
safe and confident driver. (includes 1hour 30min lesson before test, hour for the test and
time to take you home).
WHAT CARS DO WE USE?
We use a large number of cars, such as those listed below • Other test centres: London and the South East
• Audi A2 Please ring us to get quote for specific test centre (Price worked
• Vauxhall Corsa out by calculating extra time / distance incurred in getting to and
• Nissan Micra and Almera back from specific test centre).
• Renault Clio and Megane
• Peugeot 307 Theory Test Tuition
• Ford Fiesta • One hour single lesson: £5.00 (Free of charge for those taking
• Citroen C3 driving lessons with one of our instructors).
• Volkswagen Golf and Polo • PASS PLUS Course: £140.00 (After this course you stand to
save much more than this on your car insurance.
Manual Price List BOOK YOUR LESSONS ONLINE
• One hour single lesson: £19.00 and you could win a 1GB Apple iPod nano.
• 5 x 1 hour driving lessons: £92.50 (save £2.50)
• 10 x 1 hour driving lessons: £180.00 (save £10.00) NEW LEARNERS
• 15 x 1 hour driving lessons: £265.00 (save £20.00) Take the hassle out of booking lessons with ABBIES. Fill in
• 20 x 1 hour driving lessons: £350.00 (save £30.00) your details at a time that suits you and then we will call you
• 25 x 1 hour driving lessons: £425.00 (save £50.00) back to finalise your lessons and payment.
• 30 x 1 hour driving lessons: £510.00 (save £60.00)
Evening & Weekend Lessons (evening: 5pm onwards). Book a course of lessons with ABBIES and receive a discount,
• One hour single lesson: £20.00 the more you book the more you save.
• 5 x 1 hour driving lessons: £97.50 (save £2.50)
• 10 x 1 hour driving lessons: £190.00 (save £10.00) WE ACCEPT Maestro, VISA, Master Card
• 15 x 1 hour driving lessons: £280.00 (save £20.00) YOU GET A CHANCE TO WIN A SONY WALKMAN MP3
• 20 x 1 hour driving lessons: £370.00 (save £30.00) PLAYER
• 25 x 1 hour driving lessons: £450.00 (save £50.00) When you book your lessons online with ABBIES you will also
• 30 x 1 hour driving lessons: £540.00 (save £60.00) be entered in to our prize draw to win a 1GB Apple iPod nano.
(See our Terms and Conditions).
• 10 Driving Lessons PLUS 10 Theory Lessons PLUS Theory TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Test fee paid at £200.00 (add £10.00 for evening or weekend • Closing date: 30th MAY 2006.
courses). • Existing ABBIES learners are not eligible to enter.
• Entrants must be resident within mainland UK.
Automatic Price List • One 1GB Apple iPod nano is available.
• One hour single lesson: £20.00 • Entry will be automatic on completion of an online booking
• 5 x 1 hour driving lessons: £97.50 (save £2.50) form and confirmed booking of lessons.
• 10 x 1 hour driving lessons: £190.00 (save £10.00) • Entry will be restricted to one application per customer.
• 15 x 1 hour driving lessons: £280.00 (save £20.00) • No purchase is necessary.
• 20 x 1 hour driving lessons: £370.00 (save £30.00) • Entries will also be accepted in writing, by sending name and
• 25 x 1 hour driving lessons: £450.00 (save £50.00) address details to the draw promoter at the address shown below,
• 30 x 1 hour driving lessons: £540.00 (save £60.00) stating 'Apple iPod nano free prize draw'.
• The draw will take place by random selection on Tuesday 31st
Evening & Weekend Lessons (evening: 5pm onwards). May 2006 and the winner will be notified by phone, email, or
• One hour single lesson: £22.00 post.
• 5 x 1 hour driving lessons: £107.50 (save £2.50) • The first name drawn will win the 1GB Apple iPod nano.
• The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries delayed or " give way to traffic already on the motorway
not received due to computer problems. " stop at the end of the acceleration lane
• Prizes will be dispatched as soon as possible after that date.
• ABBIES will not be held responsible for the performance of 4) What does the term blind spot mean for a driver:
the prize supplied and any problems should be directed to the " an area not covered by your headlights
manufacturers/distributors. " an area not covered by your right hand mirror
• The name and county of the winner can be obtained from the " an area not covered by your left hand mirror
ABBIES Driving School at the address below. " an area not covered by your mirrors
• There is no cash alternative to the prize and the prize is not
transferable or exchangeable in full or in part. How did you get on? Sorry we can't give you the answers as that
• No correspondence will be entered into concerning the prize would be cheating!!!!!
and the Promoter’s decision is final.
• The Promoter reserves the right to offer a prize of equal value PASS PLUS COURSE
as it deems appropriate. PASSED YOUR DRIVING TEST AND GOT A RIDICU-
• By entering the prize draw you consent to your name and LOUS QUOTE FOR INSURANCE?
details being used for promotional activities connected with The PASS PLUS course may be just what you are looking for.
prize draw. this course consists of a minimum of six hours of driving,
• Employees and contractors of ABBIES, their families and whereby you cover motorway driving as well as night time driv-
companies connected with the prize draw are not eligible to ing. This will increase your confidence as well as skill to enable
enter. you to become a better driver. At the end of the course you get a
Promoter: certificate which, when presented to most insurance companies,
ABBIES Driving School will get you a significant discount. Savings of up to £1,000 are
2A, Balaam Street, Plaistow, London, E13 8AQ not unusual.
THEORY TEST INTENSIVE COURSES
The theory test is made up of 2 parts. The first part is the multi- PASSED YOUR THEORY TEST OR PUSHED FOR
ple choice element. Out of 35 randomly chosen questions you TIME?
need to answer 30 of them correctly to pass. To prepare for this Why not try one of our intensive courses where the lessons actu-
part we recommend you study "The Official Theory Test" book ally work out cheaper?
which can be bought from WHSmith or other book shops. The
second part of the theory test is the hazard perception element. We offer a number of intensive courses designed to get you
This is where you watch video clips from a drivers' view. You through your practical test on a limited budget of time and
need to click when you see hazards developing throughout the money. After the initial assessment lesson with one of our expe-
video clip. You need to score at least 44 points out of a possible rienced instructor you can choose or create a course designed for
75 to pass. your needs and time restrictions.
We provide free theory test tuition to all our pupils, so if you Intensive 1
need assistance with the questions or if you’re struggling with 10 Driving Lessons plus hire of car for test
the hazard perception part of the theory test, book a theory les- Cost: £250.00 (add £1.00 per lesson if taken during evenings or
son by ringing our office on 020 7474 9222. We find that, on weekends).
average, 9 out of 10 people pass the theory test after taking our
theory lessons. And remember, as long as you are taking regular Intensuve 2
driving lessons with one of our instructors, its free! 15 Driving Lessons plus hire of car for test
Cost: £335.00 (add £1.00 per lesson if taken during evenings or
THEORY TEST EXAMPLE QUESTIONS weekends).
To give an idea of he type of questions asked in the Theory Test,
we have included 4 questions so that you can test your knowl- Intensive 3
edge. 20 Driving Lessons plus hire of car for test
Cost: £420.00 (add £1.00 per lesson if taken during evenings or
1) You may only enter a box junction when: weekends).
" the traffic lights show green
" your exit road is clear We also offer intensive courses to get you through your theory
" there are less than two vehicles in front of you test, while at the same time starting your driver training.
" you need to turn left
If you haven't passed your theory test, why not try our Starter
2) Motor cars must first have an MOT certificate when they are: Course? This course includes 10 driving lessons on the road with
" seven years old your instructor PLUS 10 theory lessons to be taken on our prem-
" five years old ises PLUS the theory test fee paid and booked for. This costs
" three years old £200.00 and you save over £60.00!
" one year old
HOW TO BECOME A DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
3) When joining a motorway you must: There are three exams to pass. The first is a theory test that
" come to a stop before joining the motorway comes in the form of 100 questions and a Hazard Perception
" use the hard shoulder Test. The pass mark is 85% for the questions and is a multiple
choice computerised test. The pass mark for the Hazard If you have had a conviction for a petty offence in the past that
Perception Test is 57 marks out of a possible 75. will not exclude you provided that the conviction is "spent". So
what are you waiting for? Ring 020 7484 9222 now!
Second is the driving test. This consists of a one hour test in
which the candidate must show a much higher standard of driv- JOBS AT ABBIES DRIVING SCHOOL
ing than the average motorist. It will include manoeuvres and If you are a fully qualified driving instructor and want to join our
motorway driving. team of instructors, don’t hesitate in contacting us. If we have
vacancies at the time, we’ll arrange an interview and the rest will
Third, is teaching ability. Instructors must be able to explain be history! To become a driving instructor or for more informa-
every detail of driving to their pupils. This must be done in a tion regarding ADI Training please click the link.
kind and patient way, so that the pupil is put at ease and feels
comfortable. HGV/PCV TRAINING
We now offer training for buses and Heavy Goods Vehicles. If
All of this requires training which is what we do. We will take you have a full UK driving licence, you can get started with the
you through each stage one step at a time until you are a fully training. The first step is to book an assessment lesson which
qualified Approved Driving Instructor, (ADI). Once you have costs £40.00. During this lesson, your instructor will see how
achieved this registration, the sky is the limit. You can determine you respond to handling a larger vehicle and be able to recom-
your own future by being your own boss. mend a course specifically designed for your needs. To book an
assessment please call 020 7474 9222.
HOW IT'S DONE
Training is done in three distinct phases, so the cost can be SPECIAL OFFERS
spread over the training period. The first is the theory test and STARTER COURSE @ £200.00 * save £61.00
includes all books required to pass, computer testing of you stan- 10 DRIVING LESSONS
dard, and also includes one attempt at the theory test at £50.00. 10 THEORY LESSONS
The total cost for this part is £250.00. +THEORY TEST FEE PAID
* add £10.00 if driving lessons to be taken during
Second is the driving ability. The cost of this is £500.00. This evenings/weekends
covers the cost of 20 hours tuition, a car for the test and the test
fee of £62.00. COMPREHENSIVE COURSE (1) @ £500.00 * save £86.50
20 DRIVING LESSONS
The third and final part is the teaching ability. 40 hours tuition is 15 THEORY LESSONS
required before a PDI certificate can be issued. Therefore, this THEORY TEST FEE PAID
part of the course must be paid for as the tuition is given. It can PACTICAL TEST FEE PAID
be paid in one payment or in increments of £200.00 as the train- +HIRE OF CAR FOR DAY OF TEST
ing progresses. the full cost of this part is £1,000.00 and includes * add £20.00 if driving lessons to be taken during evenings
the test fee of £62.00 plus the car for the test. If you have already /weekends
completed parts 1 & 2 we also offer "pay as you go" training.
Ring 020 7484 9222 for more infomation. COMPREHENSIVE COURSE (2) @ £670.00 * save £106.50
30 DRIVING LESSONS
DO I QUALIFY FOR ANY FINANCIAL HELP? 15 THEORY LESSONS
Financial help is available through your local Job Centre. You THEORY TEST FEE PAID
can qualify for part, or the full cost of the cost if you have been PRACTICAL TEST FEE PAID
unemployed for more than 6 months. Ask the local officer for +HIRE OF CAR FOR DAY OF TEST
assistance in the matter of financial help for new business start * add £30.00 if driving lessons to be taken during evenings
ups. There are also 'no interest' loans available. /weekends
Should you not qualify for any of the above, any monies that you VOUCHERS - The Ideal Gift
do spend are fully tax deductible. This will make your first year Want to treat someone to a gift? For any occasion, our driving
virtually tax free. However, even if you do pay the whole cost lesson vouchers always make an impressive gift. You can buy as
yourself, you will have a job that brings both satisfaction and a many vouchers as you want. If you buy in bulk you also get a
good financial reward. discount and the more you book, the more you save.
10 driving lesson vouchers at £180.00 (save £10.00)
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED? 15 driving lesson vouchers at £265.00 (save £20.00)
To qualify to be a Driving Instructor you must hold a full UK
driving licence. You must have held the licence for the last 4 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
years and it should be free of penalty points. If you do have HOW MANY LESSONS DO I NEED?
points on your licence still give us a call as it does not necessar- If you are a beginner, and have never driven a car before,
ily exclude you from making an application. Others in the past research from the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) has shown
have had applications accepted even though they have had that on average a minimum of 40 hours tuition with a driving
penalty points. instructor is required to pass your practical test.
You should have a friendly nature and be able to get on with all However, this is only an average. Everyone is different in how
sorts of people. You should also be a person of good character. quickly they progress. So you may need less or you may need
more. After the first couple of lessons, the instructor will give correct them. That’s where the driving lessons come in.
you their professional opinion as to how many lessons you will
need in order to pass your practical test. We recommend you take an assessment lesson to begin with,
and then take at least one lesson per week to brush up on your
WHAT IF I HAVE SOME DRIVING EXPERIENCE skills and get rid of those bad habits. At the same time start
ALREADY? preparing for your theory test by taking theory lessons at our
You will not need as many lessons as a beginner. After the ini- office. Once the theory test is passed book your practical test and
tial assessment lesson, the instructor will have a look at what carry on with your lessons until the test date. This way you will
you already know and can do and also point out what you need probably pass the practical test first time.
to learn to be ready for the practical test. Then they will make a
recommendation as to how many lessons you need. CAN'T I JUST TAKE ONE OR TWO LESSONS BEFORE
MY PRACTICAL TEST?
WHAT IF I HAVE A LICENCE IN ANOTHER COUN- You can, and as long as you can drive the car safely then you can
TRY? hire the instructor’s car for the test. However, you will probably
Although you can already drive, to pass the practical test in this fail the test. Some cut back on lessons to save money. But in the
country, you need to take driving lessons to get used to the roads long run, after failing a few tests they realise that it’s actually
here. Also, the standard of driving required to pass your practi- cost more. So if you can afford it, try and take the recommend-
cal test in this country is probably the highest in the world. If ed amount of lessons before your test as then you will stand a
you have been driving for a few years, the likelihood is that you better chance of passing it first time. Any other questions? Call
have developed bad habits. To pass the practical test you need to 020 7474 9222 or speak to your instructor for help and advice.