CM6800-MGR Quick Start Guide
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CM6800-MGR INSTALLATION
• CM6800 switcher software version 3.0 or higher 1. Close all programs.
NOTE: If your switcher software is lower than version 3.0, do not install the
CM6800-MGR software provided on this CD. To determine switcher software 2. Insert the CM6800 Resource CD into the CD drive on your PC.
version, select “About CM6800” from the CM6800 Programming Main Menu.
3. The CM6800 Resources window appears.
• Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT® 4.0, Windows 98 or If it does not appear:
higher a. Select the Windows Start button.
NOTE: Windows 98 requires the latest version of the Microsoft DCOM98 b. Select Run.
c. Type D:\6800.exe (if necessary, substitute the appropriate letter of
Verify version levels at the Microsoft website and, if necessary, download and
your CD drive for D).
install the latest versions before installing the CM6800-MGR. (Search the
Microsoft Download Center for the appropriate keywords to find the downloads.)
4. Select Install CM6800-MGR.
• Intel® Pentium® class processor (VGA monitor with 800 x 600 resolution or
higher recommended) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. When prompted,
select the appropriate system configuration.
• CD-ROM drive
NOTE: If you have previously used the CM6800-MGR software in a 48 x 8
• 1 serial port configuration, you must uninstall and then re-install the software before you can
use it in a 96 x 16 configuration. Refer to the CM6800-MGR Installation/
• 64 MB or more of RAM Operation manual, or the CM6800-MGR online help for instructions.
• 100 MB of free hard disk space
PROGRAM THE CM6800 MATRIX SWITCHER WITH THE CM6800-MGR
1. Display the appropriate window or page.
2. Configure the settings as necessary for your system.
3. Save the changes.
4. Send the changes to the CM6800 Matrix Switcher. The PC must be connected to the CM6800 Matrix Switcher. Refer to Figure 3.
These steps are described in the following sections and in the CM6800-MGR Installation/Operation Manual. The manual is provided in PDF format on the Resource CD.
Start the CM6800-MGR
4. The Log-in dialog box appears.
1. Start the CM6800-MGR.
2. The CM6800-MGR Splash screen appears. Wait five seconds or click on the screen.
3. The Language dialog box appears. Select the language.
NOTE: If you select Polish or Russian, your Windows Regional Options must
be set for a “Polish (214)” or “Serbian (Cyrillic)” keyboard layout. Refer to the
“How to Select Polish or Russian Keyboard Layout in CM6800-MGR” Tech Tip.
Figure 2. Log-In Dialog Box
5. Enter the default password: 2899100.
6. Click OK.
7. The CM6800-MGR Main screen appears, with the System page active.
8. Click any of the buttons on the System page.
Click any tab to access the other CM6800-MGR pages.
Figure 1. Language Dialog Box
Getting Help Send CM6800-MGR Settings to the CM6800 Matrix Switcher
The CM6800-MGR provides a comprehensive online Help system. Click Help > The CM6800-MGR provides two options for transmitting programming settings to
Contents & Index. Or, to view context-sensitive help from a field, press the F1 key. the CM6800 Matrix Switcher:
• Click Send to transmit the settings only from the currently displayed window or
NOTE: For proper viewing of the CM6800-MGR online Help, Microsoft Internet page.
Explorer® 4.0 or higher is required and Display Fonts must remain at the default
Small Fonts setting. • From the System page, click Send All to transmit all saved settings from the
Receive Settings from the CM6800 Matrix Switcher
Once you have selected the appropriate entries for each field on a CM6800-MGR
window or page, save the entries on the currently displayed window or page by If you use the on-screen programming directly from the CM6800 Matrix Switcher to
clicking Save. The Save button saves entries on the currently displayed window or customize your system, Pelco strongly recommends saving your programming
page only. You must save your entries from each window or page as you settings to the CM6800-MGR. This allows you to
make changes. • back up your system programming in the event that a system reset is required or
is triggered accidentally,
Connect the PC to the CM6800 Matrix Switcher
• synchronize system settings between the CM6800-MGR and the Matrix
You can connect a PC to the CM6800 Matrix Switcher through the DB9 port. Or you Switcher, in the event that you use the CM6800-MGR to program your system in
can connect the PC to the RJ-45 COM 1 port (CM6800E-48X8 only). You cannot the future.
use both ports simultaneously.
The CM6800-MGR provides two options for saving programming settings from the
1. Using a null modem cable (user-supplied), plug one end into the DB9 COM 1 CM6800 Matrix Switcher:
port on the PC.
• Click Receive to save the settings only for the currently displayed window or
2. Plug the other end of the cable into the DB9 COM 1 port of the CM6800 Matrix
Switcher. • From the System page, click Receive All to save all settings from the Matrix
Switcher to the CM6800-MGR.
NULL MODEM CABLE
CM6800 COM 1 PC COM 1
Save a Database
PIN 1 PIN 5
CM6800 COM 1
PC COM 1
The CM6800-MGR settings are saved in a database named “CurrentDB.mdb.” You
PIN 2 = RX IN PIN 2 = RX IN
can save a copy of the database with a different name, as a backup, or in a different
PIN 3 = TX OUT PIN 3 = TX OUT location.
PIN 5 = GND PIN 5 = GND
PIN 6 PIN 9
1. Select File > Save As.
Figure 3. PC Connection to DB9 Port 2. The Save As dialog box appears.
3. The name of the database currently in use appears in the File Name field. Type a
OR (Alternate connection for CM6800E-48X8 only) new filename. If necessary, select a new file location.
4. Click Save.
1. Using a modified null modem cable (user-supplied), plug one end into the DB9
COM 1 port on the PC.
The modified null modem cable should be cut at one end, so that you can
To exit CM6800-MGR:
connect the wires directly to the wall block pins.
1. Click File.
2. Plug the other end of the cable into the RJ-45 COM 1 port of the CM6800
2. Click Exit.
CM6800 COM 1 PC COM 1 Click the X in the upper right corner of the screen.
RJ-45 PIN-OUTS DB9 PIN-OUTS
PIN 1 = RX IN PIN 2 = RX IN
PIN 5 = GND PIN 3 = TX OUT
CM6800 COM 1 PIN 8 = TX OUT PIN 5 = GND
PC COM 1
RJ-45 WALL BLOCK MODIFIED NULL MODEM CABLE
AND STRAIGHT CABLE (USER-SUPPLIED)
SUPPLIED WITH CM6800 00992
Figure 4. PC Connection to RJ-45 Port (CM6800E-48X8 only)
COM 1 default settings on the CM6800 Matrix Switcher are MGR, RS-232, 56000
baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.
Pelco World Headquarters • 3500 Pelco Way, Clovis, CA 93612-5699 USA • www.pelco.com
USA & Canada: Tel: 800/289-9100 • Fax: 800/289-9150
International: Tel: 1-559/292-1981 • Fax: 1-559/348-1120